• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by miker_70
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ball_trough.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miker_70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I posted earlier for the initial problem here - DMD was frozen. I remedied that by reseating 80% of the connectors. Everything was going fine, I played for about an hour, then the sound disappeared. I restarted the machine and it was fine again.

So just tonight the problems were:
DMD frozen
No Sound
Lost ball / unable to locate / searching (this happened a lot)
Error for R. Flipper E.O.S
Started immediately into multiball on new game

I did a factory reset, which helped for a bit but the gremlins got at it again..

I know, or I think I know, it's a connection problem..but how to figure out what connection? Seems to be all over the map?

Some background - I just got the game last night. Transported 5 hours in the back of my pickup and jostled it around a bit getting it into my basement (nothing major, but it was moved). The previous owner assures me that the DMD is new, and there were no errors when he got it ready for sale.

Any thoughts would be welcomed

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

i had issues like this after moving my DH down some stairs....
basically the game was acting crazy.
i had to push on the big square IC chip on the CPU.
hope that helps.
m.

Thanks, I'll try that later.

Quoted from schudel5:

I'd start again by reseating ALL the connectors on the CPU, DMD driver, DMD, sound and driver boards, especially the ribbon cable. Then reseat the connectors on the opto driver board under the playfield as well as the trough receiver and transmitter boards. As far as the EOS error, look to make sure the switch is properly gapped or a wire hasn't broken off.

Thanks, I'll give it another go. I didn't try reseating the connectors on the opto board underneath..that makes sense.

I'm hoping I can avoid a reflow. I know this is probably the best thing to do, but I'm pretty new to pinball/soldering and it seems like a hugely daunting task.

#9 8 years ago

How do you test for cold solder joint?

#11 8 years ago

Thanks, and good to know about your electronics fetish..

However, I was wondering if there's a way to test before removing the boards? With a multimeter?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Dude, I told you the correct things to do in your original thread.
Listen and learn.

You did, thanks. And I tried that, short of reflowing the solder. I tried it again just now - I reseated ALL the ribbon cables coming off the DMD driver board, as well as where they connected to the flipper board.

Now when I power on the flippers are engaged. Excellent! ...and still no display

Fuck it. Tomorrow I'll reflow the DMD driver board. I have a feeling my flipper board is pooched? ...or why are my flippers engaged

Quoted from TheLaw:

EDIT: Or to put it another way, the issue with bad solder connections is they are hurting the continuity betwixed the back of your board, and the front pins, that connect to the rest of the game. Thus, they must be removed.

Betwixed! I'm feeling very betwixed right now..

Thanks everyone

#16 8 years ago

You're not going to believe this. I don't believe it..and I certainly don't understand it. So PLEASE if someone can shed some light..or let me know where else I should look, I would be so grateful.

Here's the deal:
I reflowed the main header pins on the DMD driver board. No problem. That WAS easy - why did I doubt you guys!

I got a new fliptronic board today, and put that in. (other errors with flippers..the original board was hacked..thought I should replace)

I plugged in the game and prayed.

I flipped the switch - and sadly, the display was still a mess. It was better, but still had vertical lines running through it. I ran a test report which came back with a few problems - the right ramp make was stuck, the ball trough 2 was issuing an error, and R Flipper EOS was back.

I switched it off and swore. A lot.

When it came back on the error report wasn't as long...but the display was still messed up.

I played a game. The game went into multiball right away. I don't know the rules that well, but I know it shouldn't have done that so quickly. Then it drained and fired 2 balls back into the shooter lane instead of 1. Then the next ball 1 went to the gun and it launched another ball into the playfield.

Jesus. Completely screwy.

Ok, I thought..what was the first thing I did when I got the game home? The next day I switched the balls. The balls that were in there were dirty and gross...

But there's no way...that won't make a difference...but it's worth a try right? ...so I switched the balls back.

Everything - EVERYTHING is fine. The display is fine, I've played a few games and there doesn't seem to be any problems, the sound is fine..everything. I'll play some more and see for sure but it seems good.

So. Seriously. WTF?? Balls?!?! DH takes normal 1 1/16 standard pinballs no? I don't get it? I'm going to look around to see if anyone has ever had a similar issue..but it must be something else right?...it just doesn't make sense.

#18 8 years ago

Gah thought I was in the clear.

The sound cut out. "Sound board interface error". I get the beep on power, but no sound. Also says "sound error" SY 3.35 ..then a date

Anyone know where i should start?

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...as I said right before, get in with your DMM and test the volatages on the power board. If your levels are too low, it can casue a wide variety of issues like we're seeing here. "How can this all be related" I've said a million times...power is one of the answers.

Sorry...still a newb...how do I do this? What voltages am I looking for? Where am I testing?

Thanks for the help and advice

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

go into switch test mode
sounds like a lot of optos not registering.

Thanks, I'm going to check. After all this other nonsense, I never did check this stuff

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Try all new ribbon cables. They fixed a bunch of wierd issues I was having with my Judge Dredd.

I think you're on to something here - just reseated both flat ribbon cables and everything is fine again. It makes sense..in both the DMD issue and this one, the ribbon cables were moved/adjusted. Plus, it's the cheapest option

#25 8 years ago

Alright...had a party last night, so I decided to leave the game on as I know it would get a lot of use...so it's been on for about 24hrs. This morning all the issues were back - the DMD was all messed up / vertical lines etc. The sound was gone, the left flipper will not stay engaged / double hits.

I ordered new ribbon cables (which apparently is a hot item..sold out everywhere)

..we'll see. I'm not sure what else I should try while I wait for these. I'd like to take some readings on the power board but not sure how - if someone could let me know how/what I should look for I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

#28 8 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't have another WPC,

I was going to get them from GPE, but Ed told me he was out of the 34 pin plugs for the set. I ordered them all from Bay Area

#30 8 years ago

No..freaking taking forever....haven't been home yet, hopefully there's mail!

#32 8 years ago

Got it today...and she's working good! We'll see tomorrow but seems like it fixed that issue. The DMD is working fine now, and no sound board interface error. I only replaced the one cable - the longest one. I may replace the rest, but I'm thinking if it ain't broke...

Now I just have a couple of switch errors and I think that's it. I'm going to check the trough optos tomorrow - I think maybe one isn't working

Thanks again for all the help
M

#33 8 years ago

Aaaaaand, I spoke too soon. I woke up this morning and fired her up. Same problem. Well, no..the "sound board interface error" is still absent thankfully but the DMD is all messed up. The DMD starts all screwy, then it kind of works itself out, then it goes all screwy again. I still think it's a connection, but now i'm at a loss of how to figure out what connection and what to do.

I will replace the rest of the cables as a start. Then I don't really know. I suppose I could reflow solder on all the other boards? Is there anything else I can do first?

#35 8 years ago

Hey thanks for the reply..ya, I wish I had another WPC too

The guy that sold me that machine tells me the display is new - he just replaced it a month ago or something. I trust him..I think...haha..I mean, he doesn't really have any reason to lie, he's got my $$.

Anyway, the display is garbled. It comes and goes - it may stay fine for a few minutes, then the next screen it gets all garbled again. If I reseat that long cable it's fine for a while -- last night it was fine. I played for a couple of hours and shut it off/on a few times to make sure..weird.

#38 8 years ago

lol..uhm..yeah, I put the right amount of balls in (4).

Quoted from horriblehager:

as far as the dmd, switch with another one and see if the dmd is bad or if the dmd board is bad.

As I mentioned a few times - I don't have another WPC DMD. Maybe you can send one over?

#39 8 years ago

I think the ball thing was a fluke / coincidence. Although, last night when I thought everything was fine I replaced the balls again, and the ball search problem reared it's ugly head. I think that's an opto problem..I don't know why it works fine with old balls versus new ones though

#41 8 years ago

Cool thanks...I'll try the cables out first before switching the monopoly display - like you said, it would only answer part of the question.

I have all the new cables, but only replaced the one...I'll do the rest and see.

Where/how do I identify the logic section of the driver board?

#42 8 years ago

Alright..couldn't take it, had to go home at lunch and replace the rest of the cables. Although it's still early to tell - everything is good again. The real test will be tonight when I go home to see if it's still fine.

I need to figure out this ball trough problem next. I think the balls are getting physically stuck. When I was playing, I noticed that I could see the balls backed up in the trough. When the game started searching, I shook the machine and they fell into place. I still find it weird that the old balls don't have this problem, but I'll try tonight to clear any debris that may be lodged in there or something.

#46 8 years ago

Success!!! I've been playing (and fiddling) for like 3 hours and the DMD issue is gonzo! The ribbon replacement did the trick.

The ball thing. Yeah, insert eh? I'll try that. I studied that stupid trough for the better of an hour...just letting the machine empty the trough / refill. They typically get stuck when there is 3 or less...weight i guess...and they get stuck about 1/3rd of the way from the end. I've seen the magnetize theory tossed around - I'll definitely try an insert, but the thing is when I first tried this they were completely new balls. I can't imagine they would get magnetized that fast. Even now, I've really only used them for a dozen games or so. Also, why wouldn't the other balls get magnetized? Weird.

Did you make this insert or buy it?

Thanks everyone..I seriously doubt I would even own a pin if I didn't have access to this community. You guys are great!

Mike

#47 8 years ago

Hey I have a question regarding the magnetized ball thing. I have a Grand Lizard. It has 2 magnets, but I've never had an issue with magnetized balls. Why not?

Also, I have one other issue with DH - the switch on the right ramp "switch 38 - right ramp make". Can someone tell me how you test these? I guess this is an opto? Is it typically the receiver or the sender that goes? Do I need to replace both - like is it a married pair?

Thanks

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

If its not your trough, its the trough optos like schudel suggest. good luck eh?

I don't think it's the optos - I can see the balls getting physically stuck in the trough. There aren't any divots in the trough that I can see, and I've cleaned out any debris. It's gotta be the magnet thing...it just has to!

Quoted from schudel5:

Put the game in switch edge test. Pass your finger through and see if the game beeps. If not look for a broken wire off the solder pad on one or the other optos. There are two wires that go to each opto. Also, these can have cracked solder joints, so reflow the solder where the optos are soldered to the board.
You can test the receiver (dark tinted) by shining a bright flashlight into it during switch edge test. The transmitter (pink tinted) you can look at with your cell phone set to camera. It should look like it's lit up when you view it on your screen. It's typically the transmitter that fails. They are not matched, just get a new opto of whichever one is bad. Pinball Life sells them:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=19&pg=1
All at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the info. I'll try this tonight

#52 8 years ago

I agree. It does seem pretty quick for the balls to become magnetized. I've ordered one of these sleeves and I'll try it out and see. The old balls are pitted - from what I understand, one way to demagnetize something is to hit it with a hammer. The old balls certainly look beat up. So potentially the previous owner had a similar issue and took a hammer to them

I haven't dismissed the trough, but I'm going to wait and see.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Also, if the old balls are really beat up, I wouldn't use them at all. All pinballs ruin the playfield. They become like sandpaper. No good.

Totally, but I want to play! ..haha...but I ordered a sleeve, and will be installing it as soon as it arrives.

..yeah, with US/CDN conversion, tax tax with a bit of tax, and shipping, $87 is a good estimate

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Question , do you have the machine nice and level, also is the trough angled enough? It should be on an decline towards the right lane shooter. Is it secured to the under side of the playfield good?

Yes, the trough seems secured fine. The game is level, but I'll check again later just in case

#59 8 years ago

Haha..yeah, they are standard size. Do they make a different size? Like, is there a game out there that requires some weird ball size?

#61 8 years ago

Huh. I didn't realize there were different balls for different games. Why would a pin require something other than the standard 1 1/6? Seems like that would be death for an operator.

At any rate, the balls are standard - brand new - just checked the package 1 1/16"

#63 8 years ago

They're just a standard finish - Silverjets.

Although, I'm thinking now I should get some of these high gloss beauties! http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325&parent=49

#64 8 years ago

The trough sleeve will be arriving next week, so hopefully that will cure that issue. I've also ordered both the transmitter and receiver for that opto switch on the right ramp so that issue will be resolved.

aaaaand I have one more!

The gun...the gun works great..75% of the time. Often though, on load the ball just limps out of the gun. It doesn't seem to grab it from time to time. Is that wear or a sensor not working? Anyone have any ideas?

#67 8 years ago

Hey...

Thanks for the info on the gun I'll give it a try.

I got my new opto transmitter tonight. I checked again on the one that was in there and didn't see any light with my cell phone. I checked the other opto to see what I'm looking for and it was indeed glowing purple.

I replaced it with the new one and tested. Nothing. I checked with the phone, still no glow. I check the continuity on the trace on the board and it seems fine. I'm not sure what else to try.

I'm going to try to solder again but this time cut the wires back a bit as the ends seem pretty cruddy but if anyone has any other suggestions...I'm listening

(I rechecked all the connections with my photos from the originals just in case I crossed the wires or something stupid...the're fine)

Thanks

#68 8 years ago

Got it. I soldered and just held the wires on...as I suspected one of the wires is cut

#69 8 years ago

*unsoldered

#70 8 years ago

Guh.

So, I got it all back together again. I kept checking my phone - as the second time around, the wire came loose but didn't realize it until it was screwed back to the ramp. At any rate, got it back on and checked the phone to make sure it was still glowing (btw, apparently iphones don't register the LED with the front facing camera..the "selfie" side works fine but the other side doesn't..

So anyway, it doesn't work. When I cross through the beam it doesn't register. What the hell?? The other thing is I'm not getting an error anymore...but that might mean it's stuck "on" now as I was switching it on and off a few times..

- The transmitter is new and tested - it's working
- The receiver is not new, but does register when I pass a light in front of it
- In switch test, it doesn't register
- I used to get an error "switch error right ramp make", now I don't

On a related note, in gameplay does anyone know when that registers? I mean, I don't think it's every time you hit the helicopter ramp

The other thing is the balls. I got the trough sleeve tonight and installed it...I replaced the balls back to the new ones, and although it was wwwaay better it's still acting funny. It threw out 2 balls a couple of times, and one time a ball was stuck in the troughs similar to previous issue

2 months later
#72 8 years ago

Hey! the follow up...

I had a local tech come by and help me out. We both were scratching our heads after about 40 minutes of him trying to figure out the problem with the helicopter ramp opto. Until finally, after a lot of testing and diagnosing, he said "maybe..." and proceeded to desolder the receiver opto again and re-solder it back on, but reversed the wires. It worked. The pads on the opto board itself were backwards. He said it happens from time to time..I'm glad I got him to have a look - I don't think I would have ever thought of that.

The gun: I tried taking the rubber from an old coil stop and sticking it in the fencing above the gun. It works 100% now (and has for a couple of months)

The trough: As mentioned above, this is still a bit wonky. It often only spits out 2 balls on multi, or gets "stuck" and nothing happens. If I shake the machine, it works. I'm going to try some other tests on this once I finish putting my Monopoly back together (pf swap).

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from RampShot11:

Glad to hear you got mostly everything fixed. I would have never thought of the swapped wires either on the opto. Good lesson learned for that issue.
Btw, my buddy has a Monopoly and I love it! Such a fun game. I couldn't get enough of it last time I was at his house. I really like the four player team feature 2 on 2 made for some very competitive pinball. Gl with the pf swap.

Yeah, Monopoly gets a bad rep...I think it's a great game. Tons of stuff to do, and some pretty sweet shots (orbit). The pf swap is coming along, just finished the tear down / clean up..starting to rebuild..

Quoted from Sammy31:I had the same problem with my trough on DH.

I removed the trough and lightly grinded out the groves (caused by the balls) with a dremmel and 4 years later still no problems...

Grind the trough...interesting. Although, I have a trough sleeve - so I don't think this is the issue. I think there is a problem with the opto board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider miker_70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-bunch-of-weird-problems?tu=miker_70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.