• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by miker_70
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ball_trough.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

I know this is probably the best thing to do, but I'm pretty new to pinball/soldering and it seems like a hugely daunting task.

It is not.

Quoted from ALY:

Get comfortable with reflowing the pins very soon. You will need it.
That's a problem I noticed basically on all machines.

Listen to ALY, it's going to happen.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

How do you test for cold solder joint?

You look at it, make a guess, and reflow some solder. This video is not the best, but is very voyeuristic which excites me

Good picture you can see from Vid
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2#post-962763

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

However, I was wondering if there's a way to test before removing the boards? With a multimeter?

Ha, we've all been wishing for a way to test the back of the boards with a DMM without removing them forever
Rip it out, start re-flowing some solder, put it back in and test it. It's not the most pleasent thing, but it doesn't take that long.

EDIT: Or to put it another way, the issue with bad solder connections is they are hurting the continuity betwixed the back of your board, and the front pins, that connect to the rest of the game. Thus, they must be removed.

#17 8 years ago

W....T....F??? Wow that's a new one. Although pins do suspiciously fix themselves to make you happy, and then pull the same garbage after to make you cry again. DH uses standard balls which I have always heard can get magnetized over time and fresh balls will help with some issues. I haven't heard them related to this issue but crazy shit happens all the time with these things.

The way things have been going for me lately, I'm big on the 12v being low and having to jumper the power board. So if this starts going on the fritz again, keep that in mind. 12v in my Pin Magic was low causing my DMD to go out etc. Diff'rent systems for sure, but just keep it in your back pocket. HOPEFULLY you wont need it.

Now finally get some drinks and kick back with some DH on a Friday. Oh and get some hotdogs.

#19 8 years ago

Ha...as I said right before, get in with your DMM and test the volatages on the power board. If your levels are too low, it can casue a wide variety of issues like we're seeing here. "How can this all be related" I've said a million times...power is one of the answers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-bunch-of-weird-problems?tu=TheLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.