• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by miker_70
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Ball_trough.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RampShot11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago

Try all new ribbon cables. They fixed a bunch of wierd issues I was having with my judge Dredd.

#26 8 years ago

Great Plains Electric has all four in stock. Where did u order from?

#27 8 years ago

Also, if you have another WPC pin , you could temporarily try the ribbon cables from that machine.

#29 8 years ago

Did you get the new ribbon cables yet?

#31 8 years ago

Still no delivery ?

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Jdawg4422:

the new balls are getting magnetized. The old balls may be the ones that dont get magnetized. In Dirty Harry the balls get magnetized quickly if you use the ramp skill shot alot, which most people do. I have a plastic insert that goes in the trough so that the balls dont get hung up anymore.

Yes, definitely get the plastic trough insert, it helps big time. But when you put the plastic insert in the trough, put a piece of blue painters tape on the end to stop it from sliding back out. Mine would always back out after a few games until I added the tape.
Also, remeber there are 2 ribbon cables that go from the DMD board so it could have been either one that was bad, or both for that matter.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Success!!! I've been playing (and fiddling) for like 3 hours and the DMD issue is gonzo! The ribbon replacement did the trick.
The ball thing. Yeah, insert eh? I'll try that. I studied that stupid trough for the better of an hour...just letting the machine empty the trough / refill. They typically get stuck when there is 3 or less...weight i guess...and they get stuck about 1/3rd of the way from the end. I've seen the magnetize theory tossed around - I'll definitely try an insert, but the thing is when I first tried this they were completely new balls. I can't imagine they would get magnetized that fast. Even now, I've really only used them for a dozen games or so. Also, why wouldn't the other balls get magnetized? Weird.
Did you make this insert or buy it?
Thanks everyone..I seriously doubt I would even own a pin if I didn't have access to this community. You guys are great!
Mike

I was going to say, I don't think your dealing with magnetized balls, It sound like trough divots. The plastic trough insert is meant for that mostly. Marco has it and Pinbits has it also. Its about $7 US, $87 Canadian... Kidding.
You can test the switch with a multimeter. I think you put one lead to the middle lug and the other to the back lug and set it to ohms and then press the switch. SHould get a reading.

Ball_trough.jpgBall_trough.jpg

#54 8 years ago

Also, if the old balls are really beat up, I wouldn't use them at all. All pinballs ruin the playfield. They become like sandpaper. No good.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Totally, but I want to play! ..haha...but I ordered a sleeve, and will be installing it as soon as it arrives.
..yeah, with US/CDN conversion, tax tax with a bit of tax, and shipping, $87 is a good estimate

Question , do you have the machine nice and level, also is the trough angled enough? It should be on an decline towards the right lane shooter. Is it secured to the under side of the playfield good?

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Yes, the trough seems secured fine. The game is level, but I'll check again later just in case

Here's another sort of dumb question but.... are the "new balls" 1 1/16 in size? If they are smaller or larger that might be the issue too. That's my last annoying question. I promise.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

Haha..yeah, they are standard size. Do they make a different size? Like, is there a game out there that requires some weird ball size?

Yes, there are a bunch of different sizes believe it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the new balls are slightly to small or larger than 1 1/16.
Do you have a micrometer to measure them?

#62 8 years ago

I think most pins use the same size ball but you have pitch and bats that use a different size and strikes and spares uses a different size too if I remember correctly.
But if you checked them then they are good. Are they the mirror finish balls or standard finish?

#65 8 years ago
Quoted from miker_70:

The gun...the gun works great..75% of the time. Often though, on load the ball just limps out of the gun. It doesn't seem to grab it from time to time. Is that wear or a sensor not working? Anyone have any ideas?

The coil in the gun might be loose. Check the coil bracket and make sure its ok. Same thing happened to my JD ball shooter bracket. It ended up getting really loose. I tightened it back down and never had that problem again.

1 month later
#71 8 years ago

How did you make out? Everything working ok now?

2 weeks later
#74 8 years ago

Glad to hear you got mostly everything fixed. I would have never thought of the swapped wires either on the opto. Good lesson learned for that issue.
Btw, my buddy has a monopoly and I love it! Such a fun game. I couldn't get enough of it last time I was at his house. I really like the four player team feature 2 on 2 made for some very competitive pinball. Gl with the pf swap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RampShot11.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-bunch-of-weird-problems?tu=RampShot11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.