Screenshot_20200730-140221 (resized).png
CC947510-0F5F-44B8-BC7B-230C5A163C43 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200730_102635~2 (resized).jpg
81CBC937-2242-42A3-A641-9EA6ED5A2109 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200730_102635 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200730_102630 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello all,
My Dirty harry is having an issue with the right ramp diverter, the one that switches the ball path from right flipper to left for ricochet shots. It no longer sits in line with the plastic inside edge of the right habitrail so balls get pinched and stuck.
It looks to me like the set screw has come loose and lets the diverter travel just a bit too much.

I haven't gotten a real chance to diagnose yet because the coil assembly for the diverter is located on the underside of the ramp right above the pops, so it would seem I need to remove the right ramp. Looking through I'm realizing that in order to take the right ramp out you need to take the left ramp out. In order to take the left ramp out you need to take out the vuk habitrail and I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

So before I undertake this project does anyone have any wise advice on either adjusting the diverter or on safely and sanely removing the ramps?

I took some quick pictures before leaving for work of the piece I'm talking about.

IMG_20200730_102630 (resized).jpgIMG_20200730_102630 (resized).jpgIMG_20200730_102635 (resized).jpgIMG_20200730_102635 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Mine would get stuck on the ramp when it closed. The rivets that held it came loose . I just took some vise grips and compressed them .Does'nt stick any more.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Mine would get stuck on the ramp when it closed. The rivets that held it came loose . I just took some vise grips and compressed them .Does'nt stick any more.

Thanks for the reply,
Do you mean the diverter itself would get stuck behind the hole in the plastic on the players left side? I'm not sure which rivets you mean either.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

Thanks for the reply,
Do you mean the diverter itself would get stuck behind the hole in the plastic on the players left side? I'm not sure which rivets you mean either.

Yes, the gate that comes over would close and get stuck behind the hole.It's attached with two rivets that came loose.

#5 3 years ago

Is that what yours is doing?

#6 3 years ago

Here’s where it should be

81CBC937-2242-42A3-A641-9EA6ED5A2109 (resized).jpeg81CBC937-2242-42A3-A641-9EA6ED5A2109 (resized).jpeg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Is that what yours is doing?

No, the diverter travels freely and won't get stuck behind the plastic that it hides behind to allow the ball to travel to left flipper. My issue is that it travels too far to return to 'normal' and over hangs into the path leading to the right flipper.
Like in my picture and excuse the phone finger painting, I believe the diverter is supposed to stop at the first red line, but actually rests at the second and pinched the ball (white)

IMG_20200730_102635~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20200730_102635~2 (resized).jpg
#8 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Here’s where it should be
[quoted image]

Ah, yes so mine has a bit too much play. Which rivets? Looking at the manual I'd assume it's the set screw that holds the shaft to the actuator.

#9 3 years ago

Double post sorry

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

Ah, yes so mine has a bit too much play. Which rivets? Looking at the manual I'd assume it's the set screw that holds the shaft to the actuator.

The ones that attach the paddle to the shaft. It looks like somebody probably bent the paddle out so it would'nt get caught behind the ramp when it's actuated.

#11 3 years ago

Do you have a picture of when its closed? It should go behind the ramp. I bet it does not.

#12 3 years ago

Or something is limiting the travel underneath the playfield.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

Do you have a picture of when its closed? It should go behind the ramp. I bet it does not.

I don't right now sorry but I'll be home in another 5 hours or so here.
When it is supposed to retract into the slot cut out of the ramp it does so successfully. I'm not sure if it should go back farther but it doesn't impede the ball.
Thanks again for the replies.

#14 3 years ago

Ill take a look underneath on mine and see how it works . I'm curious.

#15 3 years ago

Here’s when it’s fully actuated on mine

CC947510-0F5F-44B8-BC7B-230C5A163C43 (resized).jpegCC947510-0F5F-44B8-BC7B-230C5A163C43 (resized).jpeg
#16 3 years ago

It goes in there pretty far

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

It goes in there pretty far

Alright, looks like I'll have to adjust it. Which brings me back to my other conundrum in that taking the ramps apart seems like a big job. Any tips on that front? I did read somewhere that it's easier to take off the backboard of the playfield first.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

Alright, looks like I'll have to adjust it. Which brings me back to my other conundrum in that taking the ramps apart seems like a big job. Any tips on that front? I did read somewhere that it's easier to take off the backboard of the playfield first.

I don't think there is a adjustment below by the coil. I looked in the manual.

#19 3 years ago

I was thinking this set screw is what secures the plunger to the shaft.

Screenshot_20200730-140221 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200730-140221 (resized).png
#20 3 years ago

Its possible but you would have to remove a lot to get to it. It looks like it has a ground flat spot on the shaft. I don't know if its adjustable.

#21 3 years ago

Bumping as the last part I need for my flipper rebuild comes in tomorrow.
I've tried going at that set screw but I'm convinced I need to take the ramps apart to actually get to the problem.
I'm hoping one of you pinside gurus knows a trick or two about this.

#22 3 years ago

Based on my experience "building " my DH from parts you'll need to disassemble the ramp to get to this adjusted correctly, on the bright side it's a good opportunity to clean areas you can't reach otherwise

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

I'm hoping one of you pinside gurus knows a trick or two about this.

One Way to make it easier is to take off the backboard at the end of the playfield with the two flashers it will give you more room to work.

#24 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I guess I'll bite the bullet and take the ramps apart this week. I'll try and keep you guys updated on what I find. Good point about cleaning PAR . She could use it in the tight spots.

bssbllr how does the backboard come off? Are there screws in the corners? I ordered the backboard graphics so I'll have to do so at some point anyway.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

bssbllr how does the backboard come off? Are there screws in the corners? I ordered the backboard graphics so I'll have to do so at some point anyway.

There are like 5-8 screws that screw it into the playfield that run the length of the playfield. Sorry can’t remember exactly how many. Also I have seen one other person talking about the same problem during a restore with the diverter gate trapping the ball. I believe something on the shaft gets worn away but I could not find it yet on the internet. Still searching for ya.

#26 3 years ago

To update you guys I think I've gotten the diverter problem sorted. I took the backboard and left ramp off the game entirely, and loosened the front 4 screws for the right ramp. This gave my roommate enough clearance to get to the set screw and adjust it. Seems to work out ok now and he's saying we probably didn't need to remove the ramps to get behind if you have the right hex key.

I'm now down to my last issue that cropped up when I rebuilt the flippers last week: no power at the left flipper.
I'd originally wired the outside lugs backwards in a mistake and the game would reset when the left flipper activated. After realizing and switching them to their correct lugs the flipper worked fine for probably 20 or so flips. Now I have no voltage at any of the lugs when tested.
I found that I can't get continuity on fuse 902 on the fliptronic board even though it looks ok, but the manual indicates that this fuse is for the magnet. Fuse 904 checks good and this is the one that apparently controls the left flipper.
I've tested the magnet and confusingly enough even though it's fuse is 'bad' it fires and grabs the ball just fine.
Both right flippers are fine.
Any fliptronic experts on here?

#27 3 years ago

Replace the bad fuse.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

Replace the bad fuse.

I already had fuses on order, should be here soon. I'd rather not try it with a fuse from my TNG in case it blows and takes both my machines out.

#29 3 years ago

It keeps blowing fuse 902 even when replaced. I've narrowed it down to only happening when I hold down the left flipper.
It works when flipping quickly but within 2 or 3 seconds of engaging the hold circuit it makes this oscillating kind of noise and blows F902 on the fliptronics board.

Is the manual wrong or can I just not wrap my head around this? There's some conflicting information about what the connections are called.
I've been going with the assumption that the upper left flipper coil drives the magnet, but it doesn't connect to F902, it's actually connected to F904.

Maybe I have a bad transistor at q9, maybe a short in either the magnet or flipper cabling? Bad diodes on the flipper coil?

IMG_20200804_123354~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20200804_123354~2 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200804-123159~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200804-123159~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200804-123227~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200804-123227~2 (resized).png
#30 3 years ago

Also, the magnet has been testing fine. I let it run in solenoid test mode on repeat and it would energize and grab the ball.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

Also, the magnet has been testing fine. I let it run in solenoid test mode on repeat and it would energize and grab the ball.

I'm glad I was wrong about the adjustment screw.Sounds like a easy fix. What I meant about the magnet was that the top gets mushroomed and if you were taking the ramps off anyway it would be easy to replace.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

I'm glad I was wrong about the adjustment screw.Sounds like a easy fix. What I meant about the magnet was that the top gets mushroomed and if you were taking the ramps off anyway it would be easy to replace.

I got what you were saying. I gave it a glance when the ramp was off and besides a little wear around the hole it looked good. Good tip though.

#33 3 years ago

New coil, more new fuses and I'm back in business. I can only guess, but I'm thinking that it was either bad diodes or poor soldering on the coil that was blowing the fuse. Q9 and the rest of the transistors on the fliptronics checked fine.

Thank you kindly for the help folks. We're back to flipping.

I've never been able to make either ramp as smoothly as I can now with the rebuilt flippers. STTNG is next, hate having my delta ramp shots come back and drain out the right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-harry-a-19746-and-the-ramp-issue?hl=jwf_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.