Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2016-02-27-21-47-59--1324323239.jpeg
    motleycrue-shoutatthedevil170_(resized).jpg
    61zgdEljKaL._SX342__(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    thumb_(resized).png
    comingsoon_(resized).jpg
    BS6_(resized).jpg
    BS1_(resized).jpg
    BS5_(resized).jpg
    BS4_(resized).jpg
    BS3_(resized).jpg
    BS_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    yngwie_cinnabon_(resized).png
    yngwie_malmsteen_trilogy_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from garyspinballs:

im friends with john borg on facebook and the other day he ask everybody what there favorite led zeppelin songs were

It's gotta be Led Zep then! Much better choice IMO

#102 8 years ago

I was merely stating my opinion that I prefer the 70's Aerosmith over the power ballad machine they have become. Game would probably have the hits from the 70's but it's still a pass for me on theme. Game play would be biggest factor. The game play of Metallica is what sold me....took a while for the art to grow on me.

Back on topic.......what could DD be working on? Enquiring minds want to know.....

#103 8 years ago

If I were to choose between Hendrix, Maiden or Aerosmith, Tyler's band would be bringing up last place. Hendrix is unmatched as a guitarist, recorded ground breaking mind bending music and is a rock legend. Maiden are much better than most people think--a Metal powerhouse--and were into the kind of imagery and artwork that screams "pinball" long before it became fashionable. I'm surprised that they were not chosen instead of Metallica--I also think they are the better band. Aerosmith has always been a second-tier rock band, early-on touted as "the American Stones", not worthy IMO. Your mileage (and opinion) may vary...

#104 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I'll bet you fancy the "Big Ten Inch"!

I take it with me anywhere I go.

#105 8 years ago

Led Zeppelin would actually sell outside of the market of pinheads and operators. Great iconography & lyrics to pull ideas from and barely a bad song in the bunch. As mentioned above, I think the license is too tough, though. I'm sticking with it being Aerosmith. Lame, but having read this book (written by the fella who told us about Led Zeppelin in Hammer of the Gods), I can tell you that they were about as crazy as they came back in the 70's. Highly recommended reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-This-Way-Autobiography-Aerosmith/dp/0060515805

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

It's funny, but being the youngest of six kids, I distinctively remember the sounds of many records being played by my older siblings, as well as the sounds of watching sports on the old crt Tvs with my dad and uncles. I remember hearing everything so clearly, especially the vocals. Now when I watch sports on my 4K high def flat screen tv or listen to music on my iPod, all I hear is loud background noise, and it sucks! Is this progress? I've listened to the Beatles original records and their digital remasterings, and their is no comparison. What the hell is wrong with me? I'm not that old.

Blame BOSE.

Once Amar Bose got every housewife to only accept tiny plastic satellite speakers, the days of rocking out in the living room was over.

The tiny flat speakers in your 4K TV are never going to have the balls of the tube amp driven speakers in a big wooden console TV box.

$T2eC16NHJH!FFmJYONmFBR2dmdJtr!~~60_1_(resized).JPG$T2eC16NHJH!FFmJYONmFBR2dmdJtr!~~60_1_(resized).JPG

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Who gives a shit what is top selling? Since when has top selling equated best in quality in anything, let alone music? Ugh.

Quoted from T7:

I think you have it backwards. Sales is a much more factual determination than saying "I really like this band", and "that band sucks".

No he has it right.

Once a rock band becomes too large, they become a ballad machine.

Yes, they become more popular with little girls, but they suck ass because little girls don't listen to good music.

#108 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, they become more popular with little girls, but they suck ass because little girls don't listen to good music.

Take "little" out of your sentence, and you are half correct. The bigger a (hard rock) band gets, they typically start focusing on both male and female fans, and that can change their musical direction. Def Leppard and Van Hagar are even better examples than Aerosmith in that regard. This can definitely alienate the heavier leaning fans. I don't care for all the lighter ballads either, but just because a band has a bunch of ballad hits doesn't mean all their tunes on those albums suck. If the albums are selling like crazy, then people like them (male and female).

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I take it with me anywhere I go.

How'd you get it through the airport wrapped in tin foil?

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Take "little" out of your sentence, and you are half correct.

Even if you take "little" out, we can be certain that 97% of girls don't listen to good music.

This is not a sexist statement, just a realistic observation.

Girls generally don't do Model Rocketry, Ham Radio, Audiophile stuff.....it's just how it is.

-

When a speaker brand alters their products to appeal to housewives, they suck.

When a band alters their music to appeal to girls, they suck.

-

True story:

We were driving across the border from Canada into the USA with a pair of $10,000 speakers in the van. The speaker were made in the USA, so we did not expect any problems or tariffs.

The border guard, a woman, said "Open the doors, I want to see the speakers."

I opened the doors and took the lid off one of the coffin sized speaker boxes.

The guard looked at the speaker and said "Holy shit, $10,000? Why didn't you just get Bose ???"

#111 8 years ago

Thought JJP jack leaked next 3 stern titles a while ago - GB, Hendrix, Jurassic Park.

Dirty Donny would seem like a better fit stylistically for Hendrix than Aerosmith or Iron Maiden.

Also, this has to have been approved by Stern PR, so maybe another music theme is due before GB.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

Stern is most likely looking at "what will sell". Looking at the top selling bands in the US, limiting to heavier rock bands which are better suited for a pinball machine than madonna...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists_in_the_United_States
    1 The Beatles <<<<<< license difficult
    3 Elvis Presley <<<<<< done
    4 Led Zeppelin <<<<<< license difficult
    8 Pink Floyd
    11 AC/DC <<<<<< done
    13 Aerosmith <<<<<< --- coming...---
    14 The Rolling Stones <<<<<< done
    18 Metallica <<<<<< done
    20 Van Halen
    21 U2
    30 Guns N' Roses <<<<<< done
    41 Foreigner
    46 Def Leppard
    48 Queen
    49 Bon Jovi
    57 Tom Petty
    58 Pearl Jam
    59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    60 Boston
    64 Ozzy Osbourne
    68 Lynyrd Skynyrd
    81 Rush
    82 Mötley Crüe
    83 Nirvana
    84 ZZ Top
    86 Creed
    93 The Cars
    96 Jimi Hendrix
    99 Red Hot Chili Peppers
    --- 28 bands on the list (Tom Petty is on twice - combined sales would place Tom P higher than Metallica)
    There's your potential Rock Band Pinball list - and Aerosmith is one of the best (if not the best) choice

I can't wait till they get down to Bon Jovi. They are going to sell a pile of machines in New Jersey. That's when the can of hairspray will be included.

#113 8 years ago

Hendrix or Maiden = LE NIB

Aerosmith = wait a year for complete code and buy a pro

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Blame BOSE.
    Once Amar Bose got every housewife to only accept tiny plastic satellite speakers, the days of rocking out in the living room was over.

Amen brother. Satellite speakers are the worst thing to happen to music. No midrange means 1/3 of the sound field is lost, which is the primary frequency range of rock music.

Quoted from garyspinballs:

im friends with john borg on facebook and the other day he ask everybody what there favorite led zeppelin songs were

A better question is "which of LZ's songs are best for a pinball machine."

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A better question is "which of LZ's songs are best for a pinball machine."

Ive been giving this a lot of thought for my custom Zeppelin pin I am making. (Details to follow ... Much later...).

Even though Zepp made some stunning music in their 10 years, not a lot of songs are going to suit a pinball machine.

Going to California? Nope
    Tangerine? Nope
    Since I've been loving you? Nope
    Rain song? Nope
    No quarter? Nope
    And the list continues...

Same with Pink Floyd. Some Pinsiders keep thrashing them as a basis for a pin but the music just isn't pin music. Buy a jukebox instead if you want to listen to those guys. And another bong.

That's why Maiden would suit a pin. The music is perfect. Mötley Crüe, also perfect. Aerosmith ...hmmmm maybe, I'm on the fence there. Probably work ok.

rd

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Satellite speakers are the worst thing to happen to music. No midrange means 1/3 of the sound field is lost, which is the primary frequency range of rock music.

Seen on a Tshirt:

No highs, no lows; it must be Bose.

#117 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Ive been giving this a lot of thought for my custom Zeppelin pin I am making. (Details to follow ... Much later...).
    Even though Zepp made some stunning music in their 10 years, not a lot of songs are going to suit a pinball machine.
    Going to California? Nope
    Tangerine? Nope
    Since I've been loving you? Nope
    Rain song? Nope
    No quarter? Nope
    And the list continues...
    Same with Pink Floyd. Some Pinsiders keep thrashing them as a basis for a pin but the music just isn't pin music. Buy a jukebox instead if you want to listen to those guys. And another bong.
    That's why Maiden would suit a pin. The music is perfect. Mötley Crüe, also perfect. Aerosmith ...hmmmm maybe, I'm on the fence there. Probably work ok.
    rd

Livin' Lovin' Maid is one of their more rocking songs.

#118 8 years ago

It's Hendrix, no big secret.........Looks like I'll be buying Hendrix and Iron Maiden for the most amazing Rock n roll line up ever....ACDC, Metallica, Kiss, Hendrix, Iron Maiden. Almost forgot, Motley Crüe......lol

#119 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Seen on a Tshirt:
    No highs, no lows; it must be Bose.

I have a similar Cambidge Audio setup on my home theatre ... Stunning sound for that.

But I have never played music on it. Music goes straight to the old Harmon Kardon setup with massive old KEF 3 way speakers with flat panel woofers. This setup just kicks ass all over the place.

rd

#120 8 years ago

When I set up my 7.1 system in the living room, I bought a Yamaha receiver and full range speakers along with a nasty subwoofer. All I know is the loss-less track on the remastered Bluray of Song Remains the Same give me shivers.

Speaking of which, I could live with a pinball machine with these ten songs:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/heaviest-led-zeppelin-songs/

#121 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, most of their music is way too mellow for a pin.

But maybe:

Communication Breakdown - Their cover of Eddie Cochran's rockabilly classic "Nervous Breakdown".

Whole Lotta Love - Nice cover of Muddy Waters' "You Need Love"

The Lemon Song - Excellent Willie Dixon cover, probably just fast enough for pinball.

Living Lovin' Maid -

Immigrant Song -

Rock and Roll -

Dancing Days -

The Rover -

Achilles Last Stand -

Stairway to Heaven - Their cover of Spirit's "Taurus" starts out sappy slow, but redeems itself in the end. Too iconic to exclude, really.

#122 8 years ago

And then there's Dazed & Confused - an excellent Jake Holmes cover.

#123 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, most of their music is way too mellow for a pin.
    But maybe:
    Communication Breakdown - Their cover of Eddie Cochran's rockabilly classic "Nervous Breakdown".
    Whole Lotta Love - Nice cover of Muddy Waters' "You Need Love"
    The Lemon Song - Excellent Willie Dixon cover, probably just fast enough for pinball.
    Living Lovin' Maid -
    Immigrant Song -
    Rock and Roll -
    Dancing Days -
    The Rover -
    Achilles Last Stand -
    Stairway to Heaven - Their cover of Spirit's "Taurus" starts out sappy slow, but redeems itself in the end. Too iconic to exclude, really.

I would say definites:
    In the Evening
    Communication Breakdown
    Whole Lotta Love
    Immigrant Song
    Black Dog
    Living Loving Maid
    Heartbreaker
    Kashmir
    Stairway to Heaven
    Rock and Roll

High likely:
    Dancing Days

For the change-of-pace "There and Back Again" style mode:
    Going to California

Additional candidates (no particular order):
    Gallows Pole
    Houses of the Holy
    The Ocean
    Over the Hills and Far Away
    Fool In The Rain
    South Bound Saurez
    When the Levee Breaks
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Custard Pie
    Out on the Tiles
    Achilles Last Stand

#124 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

Led Zeppelin would actually sell outside of the market of pinheads and operators. Great iconography & lyrics to pull ideas from and barely a bad song in the bunch. As mentioned above, I think the license is too tough, though. I'm sticking with it being Aerosmith. Lame, but having read this book (written by the fella who told us about Led Zeppelin in Hammer of the Gods), I can tell you that they were about as crazy as they came back in the 70's. Highly recommended reading.
    amazon.com link »

If Aerosmith is considered the "great American rock band", then we haven't done very much.

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

And then there's Dazed & Confused - an excellent Jake Holmes cover.
    » YouTube video

Whilst Dazed and Confused is a sweet song, please explain (in triplicate) how in any way feasible a bass line that is about 20 notes per minute is going to work in pinball gameplay?

It ain't.

rd

#126 8 years ago

A Ramones pin with DD artwork would be a great combination !

Teenage Lobotomy
    Blitzkrieg Bop
    Beat on the Brat
    Psycho Therapy
    Commando
    Gimme Shook Treatment
    Chain Saw
    The Crusher

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Whilst Dazed and Confused is a sweet song, please explain (in triplicate) how in any way feasible a bass line that is about 20 notes per minute is going to work in pinball gameplay?
    It ain't.
    rd

While I agree that music tempo is important to a rock pin, I don't think that it's as important as you do. If that were the case, Fade to Black would not have been included in Metallica.

I argue that the ability to incorporate vivid imagery and themes would be the most important. And this is why The Beatles and Pink Floyd would be the Holy Grails of any rock pin themes. Just with Floyd alone, think of all that could be done with prisms and flying pigs. Not to mention a "Break through the wall" multi-ball.

#128 8 years ago

Stern will have DD and Zombie Yeti making great art from here on out, whatever the F ing pin is.

Check the box, art shouldn't ever be an issue again.

#129 8 years ago

And Hendrix times 1000 over Metallica, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden or anything else they can dream up.

#130 8 years ago

Has anyone checked the Hendrix family website to see if they have posted anything? If it is Hendrix, might be on the Experience Hendrix website first.

I took my own advice and am checking, we'll see if I can come up with anything.

#131 8 years ago

What if it's not a music pin at all, what would be the theme? Something that incorporates DD art like the wizard poster?
    He does have a few posters that are pinball layout, just trying to think outside the box.
    Fair chance it is a music pin but what else could it be?

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The Hendrix rumor is because I had a vision after putting the wrong sugar cube in my coffee one morning.

I saw you on the other side of that sugar cube.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ball_Shine:

What if it's not a music pin at all, what would be the theme? Something that incorporates DD art like the wizard poster?
    He does have a few posters that are pinball layout, just trying to think outside the box.
    Fair chance it is a music pin but what else could it be?

They could do a DD pizzaball theme to compete with Domino's

326189066e44d07fe46215a1cbb1e3f9a383ab5b_(resized).jpg326189066e44d07fe46215a1cbb1e3f9a383ab5b_(resized).jpg

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

It ain't.
    rd

I was playing on Vid's post where he posted all of the works that Led Zeppelin had stolen from other artists and claimed as their own. The answer to your question would be to:
    sample and loop the heavy part of the song.

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

93 The Cars
    96 Jimi Hendrix

The Cars > Jimi Hendrix??? I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I'm not changing my profile pic until either Stern does Hendrix, or I do.

#136 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Teenage Lobotomy
    Blitzkrieg Bop
    Beat on the Brat
    Psycho Therapy
    Commando
    Gimme Shook Treatment
    Chain Saw
    The Crusher

Now you're speaking my language. Day one preorder.

#137 8 years ago
    Quoted from Barron:

I was playing on Vid's post where he posted all of the works that Led Zeppelin had stolen from other artists and claimed as their own. The answer to your question would be to:

They could loop the crazy theremin part from the Song Remains the Same. That'd be sweet.

rd

#138 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmyd044:

Teenage Lobotomy
    Blitzkrieg Bop
    Beat on the Brat
    Psycho Therapy
    Commando
    Gimme Shook Treatment
    Chain Saw
    The Crusher

IN!!

#139 8 years ago

It's been a while but isn't Riggs Maiden artist? Don't see Donnie's artwork on a maiden pin at all. Hendrix has been rumored for a while and would be sweet! Aerosmith pin, please Hell No!
    Too bad Danzig isn't a pinhead. Misfits, Samhain, Danzig. Awesome artwork, great tunes. I could see Donnie's artwork for sure.

#140 8 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Thought JJP jack leaked next 3 stern titles a while ago - GB, Hendrix, Jurassic Park.
    Dirty Donny would seem like a better fit stylistically for Hendrix than Aerosmith or Iron Maiden.
    Also, this has to have been approved by Stern PR, so maybe another music theme is due before GB.

There is another game between GB and the music pin no one has guessed yet

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

My Little Pony

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Jurassic world?

rd

#143 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Surprise pins are usually dissapointing, i.e. WWE and Mustang

#144 8 years ago

Superman/Batman???

#145 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Star Wars? Fast and the Furious? Guardians of the Galaxy? James Bond? Jurassic World? Jaws?

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Fast and the Furious? Guardians of the Galaxy? James Bond? Jurassic World? Jaws?

They probably won't, but they soooo should retheme Mustang into Fast and Furious.

rd

#147 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Jaws Please

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Family guy with updated audio , new animations and a LCD screen

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Earlier tonight I was thinking about Deadpool being a solid candidate.

#150 8 years ago

Batman VE.
    1966 Batman retheme please.

tumblr_mdyj2gfrq21qemxfbo1_1280_(resized).jpgtumblr_mdyj2gfrq21qemxfbo1_1280_(resized).jpg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-donny-working-on-new-stern/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.