(Topic ID: 47562)

Stern Sucks------DIRTY Deeds Done on Metallica!

By Quantumleap

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 877 posts
  • 184 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
distraction.jpg
spartacuscharacters.jpg
Metallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpg
duck1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
metclub_info_photo_2013.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_8.00.58_PM.png
monkey-nose-picking.gif
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_7.07.25_PM.png
The_End_is_Near.gif
spitting-smiley-emoticon.gif
There are 877 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 18.
#251 11 years ago

I know my distro here asked for more LE's and got them. He originally got 12 or 13, now he's going to get 20 in total. He told me lot's of Distro in europe aren't happy that they got so few. Normally there are 2 le's and they get an X number of both. With Avengers he got only 5 or so Hulks but 12 Blue Le's
With Xmen 12 of each. Now with Metallica only 12, so many distro's gave Stern the earfull about this. So this might explain the more shipping to overseas?

Maybe also the reason, the exact number of LE's is still not released?

#252 11 years ago

ST is going to be interesting....

Got confirmation today an alternate Metallica Premium IS confirmed. It will be announced in the next couple days. It will feature the Dirty Donnie translite with alternate art.

I would guess they will sell quickly once the alternate is announced and people see it. Let me know if you'd like one and you can pick which version you'd like to order. I'm offering the option to choose which version you prefer. They will be the same price.

#253 11 years ago

That isn't the whole story.

#254 11 years ago
Quoted from chas010:

A little?! Pinball per se is done wake up. Look at all the threads about technique and high scores...crickets

I was waiting for all the Pinburgh threads ... As yet I've seen none.

However we did get some new powdercoating threads.

Just saying ....

rd

#255 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I remember some of this back in the day on RGP but I don't remember all the details. Is this really what happened? I really hope not.
Pappy

Google:

LOTR LE: Interesting email from Jack

LOTR LE - "Export" and Canada Coin Mech?

An example of "real integrity" there.... for those who do not know or with failing memories.

PS: I believe this is semi related to this topic as I feel they are both connected to poor communication and possible assumption by distributors on how many games they can get their hands on.

#256 11 years ago
Quoted from Quantumleap:

Landed a Metallica MMOP and stoked. Just found out that the distributors have been cut back a second time due to Gary wanting to send more machines to Europe. So now No MMOP even with a deposit.

Quoted from 85Txaggie:

So I am not a new poster here.... I called and got a verbal confirmation with one of the large distributors who happened to be at Pinburgh (if that give you a clue). Sent the money on Thursday and received an email yesterday saying I wasn't getting a machine.
I called him and asked why. He said his allotment was cut from 30 to 10 LE's.

Out of this entire thread, these are the only two posters who claim the games have been taken away from them. One other person said they got in late in the day when the distributor thought he was getting more. Seem odd?

Mark Malmberg (Sparky) - Ceres, California (209)402-3163

#257 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

When pinballers (er, investors) began worrying more about the limited nature of their purchase (cant be screwing with their future trade value!!!) and the number on their collector plaque MORE than the game itself... pinball died a little.

Exactly. People havn't even seen a playfield more or less play one, and lining up to preorder. People have lost their minds. History has told us, that Theme alone cannot save a game. And that is all the info these people have and shelling out 7k just on that. Just stupid. This hobby is going down the shitter at an alarming rate.

#258 11 years ago

I think it's a great thing that demand is so strong that LE's have sold out instantly.

It's got to be tough for Stern to set the number: some games, they made too many (Transformers) and some games, they made too few (evidently Metallica).

Strange that Metallica is going back to having only one LE model, which breaks the pattern we've seen since Transformers (1 "Pro", 1 "Premium", 2 "LE" editions). Seems they made a mistake here.

If they promised their customers a limit of 500 "Master Of Puppets" games, then they should stick to that. Since there's obviously a demand for more than 500, though, they should make another LE edition, "Ride The Lightning", as others have said. I think it's a great idea. I'd rather have RTL than MOP. This solution would let Stern stick to their original promise of 500 MOP games, but still provide a window of opportunity for them to collect more money and build more games, which is theoretically what a pinball manufacturer is supposed to do, don't you think?

#259 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Exactly. People havn't even seen a playfield more or less play one, and lining up to preorder. People have lost their minds. History has told us, that Theme alone cannot save a game. And that is all the info these people have and shelling out 7k just on that. Just stupid. This hobby is going down the shitter at an alarming rate.

If only there was someone to tell us this multiple times a day....

#260 11 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Out of this entire thread, these are the only two posters who claim the games have been taken away from them. One other person said they got in late in the day when the distributor thought he was getting more. Seem odd?
Mark Malmberg (Sparky) - Ceres, California (209)402-3163

The most recent cuts came this morning. Give distributors time to call their customers, and pissed off people time to come visit the site.

#261 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I nominated the TMNT / DE SW guy but he appears to have skipped town.

#262 11 years ago

I wonder how many LEs went to the Metallica fan club. The LEs were available for preorder intermittently most of yesterday and today. Now the LE page finally says that they are "out of stock". Not a bad deal ordering from Metclub for those who missed out or got screwed...especially if you're not in California (so as to avoid tax). For those outside of California price would have been right around $7900 to $8k shipped.

#263 11 years ago

Anyone sides me pay for MOP in full already?

#264 11 years ago
Quoted from Krellan:

Strange that Metallica is going back to having only one LE model, which breaks the pattern we've seen since Transformers (1 "Pro", 1 "Premium", 2 "LE" editions).

TF was 1 Pro, 3 LE (500 Combo, 125 Autobot, 125 Decepticon)
ACDC was 1 Pro, 1 Prem, 2 LE (200 LTBR, 300 BIB)
Xmen was 1 Pro, 2 LE (250 Mag, 300 Wolv)
Avengers was 1 Pro, 1 Prem, 2 LE (250 Blue, 250 Hulk)

No real pattern...it's been different with each release.

#265 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

#266 11 years ago

I don't think it's the theme thats selling this pin, the playfield looks awesome.

#267 11 years ago

From day one, the split was announced at 240 Europe and 260 USA.

So you have 260 LEs for all those US distributors.

There are now more US distributors than before.

My guess is that some distributors just f**ked up and oversold based on what they thought they would be allocated.

It's very hard to turn down dollar bills when they are being waved in your face. They took the orders and banked on finding stock for the customers. Unfortunately, there was no more stock. All gone!

Switched on guys like JJ knew they were getting X machines and only sold that many.

rd.

#268 11 years ago

I got cut, I was double confirmed on the day stern sold out. Supposed to be sending more LE's overseas to build that market was the story I got.

#269 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Exactly. People havn't even seen a playfield more or less play one, and lining up to preorder. People have lost their minds. History has told us, that Theme alone cannot save a game. And that is all the info these people have and shelling out 7k just on that.

Blame it all on TronLE and ACDC LEs. People are hoping to get lucky on the next smash hit and take the risk even though TAV, XMEN, TF, TRS, and Avatar LEs all didn't really work out for the flippers. To many people, losing a grand or two isn't that big of a deal and worth the risk. I mean...what's a grand or two in the scheme of things for months if not years of entertainment? For everyone else there is the Premium(s) and PRO that are unlimited. Sounds pretty ok to me. Those not willing to risk it can get the exact same game playfield feature-wise in the Premium AFTER they play it. Or save some money and get the PRO. Win-win-win. What's your problem with other people spending their own money? I don't see any issues.

#270 11 years ago

I had my order with JJ at GEX confirmed mid day on the 11th. We have been back and forth on emails as he is on a boat in the middle of the ocean somewhere (where he should be relaxing instead of responding to my silly emails!) It took until today to firm up the deposit which I subsequently put in with Rich by phone. I was also told by JJ that every order behind mine was getting wait listed, which would make mine one of the last they took. I have not been told that their allotment of LE's has been cut. To the contrary, I put my deposit in after 10am (pacific) which would be noon in CO and at Stern headquarters. I assume that a letter sent out that morning would have been in GEX's hands by the time they took my CC info. The card has already been charged FYI. Not sure if this helps the point along at all, but there it is

#271 11 years ago

the distributors in Europe getting about 50% of there normal limited editions, i check it tomorrow when am in the shop of a distributor

#272 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballPark:

I got cut, I was double confirmed on the day stern sold out. Supposed to be sending more LE's overseas to build that market was the story I got.

Who was your distributor?

#273 11 years ago

I highly doubt Stern would consider doing another LE version of Metallica. The hype that this fiasco is generating around here is insane. It only means more people will be likely to get their preorders in quicker for the next release or they risk potentially 'missing out'. So glad I have zero interest in Star Trek.

Oh, and you can add me to the list of people who was screwed on the LE. I confirmed my order with my distributor within minutes of pictures being released, sent in my deposit, and learned yesterday that I didn't make the cut.

#274 11 years ago

from what I was told. Dist placed their orders for such and such amounts. Told it was ok and order was good. 4 or 5 days later, Stern calls back and says they cut their order in half. After Dist's have already presold the amount they were told they were getting days earlier.

Stern should just release yet another version LE if the demand is this high. They need to cash in while they can before these guys run out of money.

#275 11 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

I highly doubt Stern would consider doing another LE version of Metallica. The hype that this fiasco is generating around here is insane. It only means more people will be likely to get their preorders in quicker for the next release or they risk potentially 'missing out'. So glad I have zero interest in Star Trek.
Oh, and you can add me to the list of people who was screwed on the LE. I confirmed my order with my distributor within minutes of pictures being released, sent in my deposit, and learned yesterday that I didn't make the cut.

Again, who is your distributor?

#276 11 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

Which distributor?

#277 11 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Who was your distributor?

Fun in Dallas

#278 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I seem to remember Jack backing down from his original allotment of LOTR LE and then Gary getting upset and selling them to Canada. Then Jack come back and said he needed more and Gary said tough crap I sold them to Canada. Then Jack had to order from the Canadian distributor to fill his pre-orders. Seeing that he wouldn't be getting as big of cut of the pie as he was planning on he sent an e-mail to all of his pre-order customer saying he had to raise their price $400 and It was "beyond his control". He then said if anyone mentioned the $400 price hike on RGP he would cancel their order. He was then called out and busted on RGP so he went back to his original price (though I figure some of those folks that got the $400 price hike e-mail still paid it and were none the wiser). The customers then get games with Canadian coin doors and one customer in particular wasn't happy about getting a Canadian model machine and Jack calls him a baby and tells him to sit on it.
Does that just about sum it up?

I am Justin Bieber.

#281 11 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

I wonder how many LEs went to the Metallica fan club. The LEs were available for preorder intermittently most of yesterday and today. Now the LE page finally says that they are "out of stock". Not a bad deal ordering from Metclub for those who missed out or got screwed...especially if you're not in California (so as to avoid tax). For those outside of California price would have been right around $7900 to $8k shipped.

And now it is back "in stock". If you really want a Metallica LE and are willing to spend approx. $8K. then you should check www.metallica.com. If it says out of stock, keep an eye on the page, because it keeps coming back for the past 24 hours+. Either due to cancellations or further allotments or the way the cart is set up (who knows). Price is $7595 with half due now + shipping (unknown).

#282 11 years ago

If it's the same "Fun" from ebay, anyone that has been around here knows better than to deal with him.

#283 11 years ago

Will they ever just make one version? So lame they don't.

#284 11 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

I had my order with JJ at GEX confirmed mid day on the 11th. We have been back and forth on emails as he is on a boat in the middle of the ocean somewhere (where he should be relaxing instead of responding to my silly emails!) It took until today to firm up the deposit which I subsequently put in with Rich by phone. I was also told by JJ that every order behind mine was getting wait listed, which would make mine one of the last they took. I have not been told that their allotment of LE's has been cut. To the contrary, I put my deposit in after 10am (pacific) which would be noon in CO and at Stern headquarters. I assume that a letter sent out that morning would have been in GEX's hands by the time they took my CC info. The card has already been charged FYI. Not sure if this helps the point along at all, but there it is

Unfortunately it sounds like more disappointed customers are just around the corner. Wait until these "wait listed" people find out their order status. To me "wait listed" means the chances of getting one of the LEs are between slim and none.

#285 11 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

The problem is people thinking about this as an investment. Why do you care how many are made? if its rare? Why, because you think it will hold some sort of value that you can then resell for more then you paid down the road (not because you give a shit about pinball and increasing its awareness like it was in the 80's and 90's, not because you want the game for its gameplay over its side art and crappy powder coating)
Pinball is not an investment, The same people driving up the prices will be selling their A and B titles down the road to fund their New Kids on the Block LEs, let me know I have cash in my pocket I'll be waiting.
Some of you guys need to get over it - who gives a shit if they make 3000 LEs - this isn't some sort of elite status you achieve by having a rare game and being first inline, if you want a rare game I will sell you my Airborne Avenger - only 350 made - maybe I should sell it for 5k even though I got it for $150. If the game sucks it doesnt matter how rare it is.
If stern was smart they would release more LEs release a Ride the Lightening LE - do away with the entire premium model and just have the Pros - no shortage, all you guys would stop wanking, distributers would make money and Stern would make money - this entire LE thing is getting out of control - sell them in 20 years with your cabbage patch kid collection and your worthless beanie babies....
YOur f*cking up pinball for the people that actually play and care about pinball, not collect games to put on display and be wiped down with a diaper....just my opinion... I still dont get the whole rare thing - so because you want a rare game you dont want other people to have the opportunity to own one? Is that selfish or greedy or both?
Tomorrow you will see this will change..

Best thread I have read in a long time!

#286 11 years ago

While upset with the situation, I'm not going to put my distributor on blast here. I've purchased multiple NIB pins from this company before and have had nothing but positive experiences up until this release. I think this release got royally screwed up partly because Metallica is so closely involved and had to have an allotment of LEs available to their fan club. This, coupled with the fact that a large fraction of LEs is going overseas, resulted in less availability for stern distributors.

#287 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Will they ever just make one version? So lame they don't.

i agree, but they can't, the LE owners won't be able to trash the premium and pro.

#288 11 years ago

Buying a NIB pin through Fun is not necessarily the same buying experience as buying a "restored" used pin from certain employee(s) at Fun. I'm confident there has been successful purchases of NIB pins from Fun where both the buyer and seller were satisfied imho.

PinballPark did not just get into this hobby last week.

#289 11 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i agree, but they can't, the LE owners won't be able to trash the premium and pro.

LOL! Don't forget the PRO owners claiming their version is better because it is "faster" and no extra toys are "blocking their view"!

#290 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If it's the same "Fun" from ebay, anyone that has been around here knows better than to deal with him.

Fun is a GREAT NIB Distributor.

I, along with 8 others, bought our Tron LE from Steve for a great price!

Steve does a great job of supporting the local collectors with NIB Stern product.

Now, I cannot address his eBay reputation, but I can, and will say, that Fun! is a very good NIB Distributor.

I have been around long enough to know that I will buy NIB from Steve at Fun! and so will quite a few of the DFW local collectors.

Marcus

#291 11 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

I don't think it's the theme thats selling this pin, the playfield looks awesome.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#292 11 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

And now it is back "in stock". If you really want a Metallica LE and are willing to spend approx. $8K. then you should check http://www.metallica.com. If it says out of stock, keep an eye on the page, because it keeps coming back for the past 24 hours+. Either due to cancellations or further allotments or the way the cart is set up (who knows). Price is $7595 with half due now + shipping (unknown).

Where do you see it in their store? I couldn't find it listed 'in stock' on their site anywhere. Do you need a met club login?

I REALLY hope they aren't continuing to take more orders that Stern can't fulfill.

#293 11 years ago

Wouldn't consider Fun for his reputation or his taxation

I figured TX guys would steer clear on the tax thing alone.

#294 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This has to be a joke. Nobody buys from Fun.

I got mine from FUN! I have also heard of 2 others that have been cut from his preorder list.

#295 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Where do you see it in their store? I couldn't find it. Do you need a met club login?

Yes, $45 to join.

#296 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is what they should do. There is plenty here that would shell out for IM at the new NIB prices.

That's why the Avengers premium has Iron Man smack dab front and center in the translite.
There's your Iron Man pin !

#297 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This has to be a joke. Nobody buys from Fun.

No joke, many people around here buy from him. I've been a customer for 15 years, I've bought and sold many games with them. But please lets not have this thread take another twist.

Pappy

#298 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How on earth is that gonna happen!?!? ...unless it's a re-theme. Word is ST will debut at Chicago Expo in October...how the hell is Borg gonna jam out ANOTHER game right after Metallica!? ...or did Steve use his extended amount of time to bust out TWO games!?
Hmmm....I think we're only gonna see Metallica and St this year.

Angry Birds doesn't amuse me....... Walking Dead......hmmmm

#299 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Buying a NIB pin through Fun is not necessarily the same buying experience as buying a "restored" used pin from certain employee(s) at Fun. I'm confident there has been successful purchases of NIB pins from Fun where both the buyer and seller were satisfied imho.
PinballPark did not just get into this hobby last week.

What he said... I don't think I got bumped because of something Fun did, he double confirmed my order last week and I have sold him many games over the years, always smooth. I think there is enough evidence here that Stern is to blame. People bash stern all the time over prices blah blah, buy or don't buy, but you can't confirm an order and yank it to sell to someone else, that is total crap and I will be sure to tell Gary what I think of this next time I see him.

#300 11 years ago

its true my guy at dirt cheap lost 3 off his order wtf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
There are 877 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-deeds-done-on-metallica/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.