Stern Sucks------DIRTY Deeds Done on Metallica!

By Quantumleap

4 years ago

Stats

• 873 posts
  • 184 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
distraction.jpg
spartacuscharacters.jpg
Metallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpg
duck1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
metclub_info_photo_2013.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_8.00.58_PM.png
monkey-nose-picking.gif
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_7.07.25_PM.png
The_End_is_Near.gif
spitting-smiley-emoticon.gif

There are 875 posts in topic. You are on page 5 of 18.
#200 4 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that a lot of distributors assumed that they would get the same quota of machines they usually do, and sold on that basis.When their actual allotment was given to them (why this is done a week later, I don't know), it's seen as a 'cut'.Hell, some distributors are taking pre-orders on Star Trek, and have been for months. How do they know how many of those they have to sell?

Yep, had a distributor advertise on here that he would have Star Trek pricing in a week (this was a few weeks ago) and to pm him if anyone was interested, and he would give you a quote. Well after I gave him my information I was told he couldn't give me a price because Stre Trek might be on a new system and they didn't have pricing on that, but he would take a $500.00 deposit to hold me one if I wanted to. No thanks, I feel like the person was just fishing for contact information from people, and if he went back on his "I have pricing info" statement, I am sure not going to send him $500.00 to "hold" for me. The guy may be a legit and great distributer, I don't know because Star Trek would be my first nib game, but I'm not taking any chances, even if it means missing out on The first run of whatever.

#201 4 years ago

When pinballers (er, investors) began worrying more about the limited nature of their purchase (cant be screwing with their future trade value!!!) and the number on their collector plaque MORE than the game itself... pinball died a little.

#202 4 years ago

Someone said that 1,000 isn't a limited edition anymore, and up until today I was pretty much in agreement with that. But thinking it a bit further with the US/overseas split, if 500 of those machines were an ocean away, and just 500 were in the US... I would still consider that pretty limited.

Not only are there more distributors now, there are more buyers. As pinball grows (and we WANT it to grow, right?) there's no reason why the run numbers for LEs shouldn't grow too. Even to 1,000.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

When pinballers (er, investors) began worrying more about the limited nature of their purchase (cant be screwing with their future trade value!!!) and the number on their collector plaque MORE than the game itself... pinball died a little.

Well said.

#204 4 years ago

It's LE for a reason. That means not everyone will get one. Face it.
The stupidest thing in the world would be to make more le's and the
Second act of stupidity would be to make another premium that
Too closely resembles the Le.

If its really about pinball buy the pro or premium. If its about being
Mr cool breeze then hope u got an LE.

#205 4 years ago

I agree but I think the only reason this has gone this way is because the Premium is so bad art work wise. I skipped right over Premium and said its LE or nothing... This entire frenzy is just because the Premium does not look cool especially the translight is a mess. If the premium was the pro I would have skipped the LE.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from vex:

all orders should be filled, if the 500 le's turn into 600 to accomplish this so be it. I can't see a lot of the le buyers having a problem with this. flippers might not like it but who cares about them.

Some of the flippers ARE the distributors.

Quoted from TomGWI:

The big question is why is Stern fling over their distributors by cutting their allotment.

Because they are not cutting the allotments . . .

#207 4 years ago

Premium with a pro translite is my aim now.

#208 4 years ago

This.

The_End_is_Near.gif

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

It's LE for a reason. That means not everyone will get one. Face it.
The stupidest thing in the world would be to make more le's and the
Second act of stupidity would be to make another premium that
Too closely resembles the Le.
If its really about pinball buy the pro or premium. If its about being
Mr cool breeze then hope u got an LE.

The stupidity is having the LE model at all. Just make Premium/Pro, and make as many of each as the market wants. I realise this is too sensible and fair to actually happen.

Honestly the prices of new and used machines have put me off pinball, I've been winding my collection down, will be keeping 3-4 tops.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Premium with a pro translite is my aim now.

Keep your eyes and ears open tomorrow...you might be pleasantly surprised.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

A little?! Pinball per se is done wake up. Look at all the threads about technique and high scores...crickets

#212 4 years ago

Yes many Distros had orders cut and some cut in half. It is a fact. No bullshitting
If u have a complaint call or email Stern direct. The Distros had no
Control whatsoever.

#213 4 years ago

So, on the poll thread asking who bought one, there are currently 103 pinsiders who said they got in on one. In this thread there are three people who have said the distribs have cancelled their pre-order? Maybe one or two more; hard to sift through the posts. I think if more people were getting orders cancelled, there would be a lot more people speaking up, rather than the "rumor mill" running rampant about what Stern should do because of this "mess."

Mark Malmberg (Sparky) - Ceres, California

#214 4 years ago

And yes a new premium is being announced. Fact.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from Benepinballs:

The Distros had no
Control whatsoever.

Maybe. Or maybe they could have CONTROLLED pre-selling what they didn't actually have confirmed?

Or did you mean they had no "self control" ?

#216 4 years ago

I have talked to a bunch of different people. None of them want to be quoted here.

It's pretty clear that:

1. Stern underestimated the excitement around the game. The fact that people want it is great for them, the hobby, and ultimately us (the fans.)
2. Metallica had an option to sell games to their fan club and the numbers here were grossly underestimated/underallocated by Stern. If I were Metallica I would want to protect my fanbase over Stern's, so people that went through distributors got jacked.

The two saving graces are:

1. This fan club thing hasn't happened before, and shouldn't apply to Star Trek/future games.
2. The game is no longer for sale on the fan club site.

I would like to think that anyone safe as of right now won't have to worry, but who knows.

The best things that Stern can do are:

1. Run another 100 LEs. I don't understand why they wouldn't do this.
2. Roll out unified messaging to their distributors. What we have now is rumors and chaos and isn't good for anyone.
3. Announce a second premium immediately, or change the translite on the first, or offer the customer the option to choose.

I feel really bad for anyone that got screwed. As of right now I am on the bubble. What a crappy situation.

#217 4 years ago

Yup, Dirty Donny for the win !!

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No....but it is. There's no "inbetween" game.

I wouldn't be so sure about that mr. insider

My guess would be ST later this year with something else "inbetween"

#219 4 years ago

Maybe Gary is the real "master of puppets!

#220 4 years ago

Metallica has a fan club?

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I realize i'm pouring kerosene on the fire by asking... But wasn't stuff like this involving LOTR LE among the reasons behind the falling out between Jack and Gary? Or am I misinformed (seriously asking... Not sarcasm.)?

When Jack was not a pinball manufacturer and was just selling pinballs, he had a business office and a warehouse, he had tangible and reliable inventory, reliable pricing, and an excellent customer service. He had a good, legitimate, and reliable business with excellent reputation, not just a phone line and a website with unfulfilled promises. He answered his calls personally and saw to it personally that his customers received what they were promised and what they had paid for. Jack is still the same guy today, for those who do not know or with failing memories.

As for everything else, you can assess and evaluate the events/cast of characters within context and come to your own conclusions.

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

3. Announce a second premium immediately, or change the translite on the first, or offer the customer the option to choose.

This (hopefully) will happen within the next few days to a week.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

So I am not a new poster here.... I called and got a verbal confirmation with one of the large distributors who happened to be at Pinburgh (if that give you a clue). Sent the money on Thursday and received an email yesterday saying I wasn't getting a machine.
I called him and asked why. He said his allotment was cut from 30 to 10 LE's. I am not sure I buy that yet at this point. I guess if GEX orders don't get cut, it will tell more of the story. I just hope to get my money back at this point, and also asked for a refund of my Star Trek LE deposit I had with him.
I see two possibilities:
1) Stern did cut the order allotment.
2) Other favored customers trumped my order.
I am waiting to see how it all works out with the other distributors.

No way he only got 10 LE's. I know a distributor who ranks lower then him and got 25 LE's.

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

Metallica has a fan club?

Only $45 to join

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

This cut is very real. My distributor has had his allocation cut by over 50%. The most recent cut came this morning.
I am currently getting a machine but that could change at any moment, at which Stern may have lost a customer for life. This is flat out bullshit and is no way to run a business.
I know my distributor personally and trust him 100% and don't believe he is pulling back stock to keep for himself.

Way to go Stern! You had a great chance with JJP reeling and you blew it...

#226 4 years ago

Sorry you lost out on it.

#227 4 years ago

Hoping to the see the other premium soon to see what choices we'll have.

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Probably not...

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I wouldn't be so sure about that mr. insider
My guess would be ST later this year with something else "inbetween"

Designed by who? Borg just did Metallica, we know Steve's working on ST, George is taking a break. They're selling so many AC/DCs (and now Metallicas)...Avatar, X-Men, and Avengers are still in production. Factory's bustling! They don't need another title till ST.

What did they blow? They sold 500 machines in an hour.

They can now sell unlimited Premiums and Pros.

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If this goes sour for many pre-order people, how will anybody feel comfortable pre-ordering any other game from Stern in the future?

I know I won't.

#231 4 years ago

Blew it? haha, they freakin sold out in hours and people are stoked on the game.

Seems like a huge win to me...

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Depends on how many people who ordered don't get one. Think they'll buy again?

#233 4 years ago

*shrug* ...get the Premium. Same game. Cheaper. Win-win.

#234 4 years ago

You could always buy from this guy on Mr Pinball today:

Metallica Master of Puppets Le, 2013 Stern: 9000
Selling my pre-order of this machine, made a spontaneous purchase but can't really afford it right now. Cash only. Machines releases in may/june.
Mark (markdumaspin@outlook.com)
Washington, Washington DC

<roll_eyes_here>

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

dumas

heh heh heh

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from pins4fun:

When Jack was not a pinball manufacturer and was just selling pinballs, he had a business office and a warehouse, he had tangible and reliable inventory, reliable pricing, and an excellent customer service. He had a good, legitimate, and reliable business with excellent reputation, not just a phone line and a website with unfulfilled promises. He answered his calls personally and saw to it personally that his customers received what they were promised and what they had paid for. Jack is still the same guy today, for those who do not know or with failing memories.

I seem to remember Jack backing down from his original allotment of LOTR LE and then Gary getting upset and selling them to Canada. Then Jack come back and said he needed more and Gary said tough crap I sold them to Canada. Then Jack had to order from the Canadian distributor to fill his pre-orders. Seeing that he wouldn't be getting as big of cut of the pie as he was planning on he sent an e-mail to all of his pre-order customer saying he had to raise their price $400 and It was "beyond his control". He then said if anyone mentioned the $400 price hike on RGP he would cancel their order. He was then called out and busted on RGP so he went back to his original price (though I figure some of those folks that got the $400 price hike e-mail still paid it and were none the wiser). The customers then get games with Canadian coin doors and one customer in particular wasn't happy about getting a Canadian model machine and Jack calls him a baby and tells him to sit on it.

Does that just about sum it up?

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I agree but I think the only reason this has gone this way is because the Premium is so bad art work wise. I skipped right over Premium and said its LE or nothing... This entire frenzy is just because the Premium does not look cool especially the translight is a mess. If the premium was the pro I would have skipped the LE.

I agree.

#238 4 years ago

Nobody knows for sure but I would be willing to bet that when the ST LEs come around they will sell just as fast. The guys that were screwed this time around will have to decide if they want to take a chance again or be left out. I feel bad for the people who got screwed. The good news is that there will be another version of the Premium to choose from. Maybe your distributer can cut you a break on the price. To keep you for a customer for life.

Pappy

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Designed by who? Borg just did Metallica, we know Steve's working on ST, George is taking a break. They're selling so many AC/DCs (and now Metallicas)...Avatar, X-Men, and Avengers are still in production. Factory's bustling! They don't need another title till ST.

One designer will have two games ship this calendar year.

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Nobody knows for sure but I would be willing to bet that when the ST LEs come around they will sell just as fast. The guys that were screwed this time around will have to decide if they want to take a chance again or be left out. I feel bad for the people who got screwed. The good news is that there will be another version of the Premium to choose from. Maybe your distributer can cut you a break on the price. To keep you for a customer for life.
Pappy

I actually DON'T think this will happen on Trek. If they are smart they won't be caught in a situation where a 3rd party has a major say over their allocation.

#242 4 years ago

Nobody knows for sure but I would be willing to bet that when the ST LEs come around they will sell just as fast

Depends. Will the art be as rad as Metallica? The hand drawn art package definitely made pinball collectors JUMP. Will the toys be as unique and cool? How true will it be to the license (this kinda boned Avengers interest, IMO)? Will people have as much faith in the coding team as they do with Lyman? Will the ST fanbase be as crazy into it as the Metallica fanbase?

#243 4 years ago

Talk about Stern capitalizing on the 'missing out on something wonderful feeling'

People always want what they can't have and then they want it more and more, the harder it is to find.

A home run for Stern.

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I seem to remember Jack backing down from his original allotment of LOTR LE and then Gary getting upset and selling them to Canada. Then Jack come back and said he needed more and Gary said tough crap I sold them to Canada. Then Jack had to order from the Canadian distributor to fill his pre-orders. Seeing that he wouldn't be getting as big of cut of the pie as he was planning on he sent an e-mail to all of his pre-order customer saying her had to raise their price $400 and It was "beyond his control". He then said if anyone mentioned the $400 price hike on RGP he would cancel their order. He was then called out and busted on RGP so he back to his original price (though I figure some of those folks that got the $400 price hike e-mail still paid it and were none the wiser). The customers then get games with Canadian coin doors and one customer in particular wasn't happy about getting a Canadian model machine and Jack calls him a baby and tells him to sit on it.

Does that just about sum it up?

I remember some of this back in the day on RGP but I don't remember all the details. Is this really what happened? I really hope not.

Pappy

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

One designer will have two games ship this calendar year.

How on earth is that gonna happen!?!? ...unless it's a re-theme. Word is ST will debut at Chicago Expo in October...how the hell is Borg gonna jam out ANOTHER game right after Metallica!? ...or did Steve use his extended amount of time to bust out TWO games!?

Hmmm....I think we're only gonna see Metallica and St this year.

#246 4 years ago

Why not use the LE art and back glass minus the signed PF, certificate and powder coating for the premium?

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Maybe Gary is the real "master of puppets!

twisting your mind and SMASHING your DREAMS!

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Depends. Will the art be as rad as Metallica? The hand drawn art package definitely made pinball collectors JUMP. Will the toys be as unique and cool? How true will it be to the license (this kinda boned Avengers interest, IMO)? Will people have as much faith in the coding team as they do with Lyman? Will the ST fanbase be as crazy into it as the Metallica fanbase?

Lots of questions but I do know that there are lists already being made for the ST preorders. But it certainly has all the makings for a bad ass pin. Steve and Lyman, new system with stereo, probably an LCD but don't know for sure at this point. Then you have the trek fans, where I'm sure some of them are already pinheads. Who knows but it looks promising. Can't wait to see it. Steve sure seemed excited about it at the TPF last month.

Pappy

#249 4 years ago

I remember some of this back in the day on RGP but I don't remember all the details. Is this really what happened? I really hope not.
Pappy

Here's what Lloyd Olson posted on RGP on 6/29/12:

"Do we really have to re-live it ?

Stern reduced the number of games Jack ordered. Jack bought games from other distributors to cover his customers orders. And cost him money keeping his customers happy. One posted here crying he got a Canadian game. He never followed up here on RGP that Jack got an American game, NIB, sent it in his truck to the guys house and gave him the NIB game and took the other game.

Only thing worth reliving is Jack tries his best to keep his customers happy. No matter how hard some are to please.

LTG "

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
$ 24.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forney, TX
$ 380.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Pinbology
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 60.00
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
There are 875 posts in topic. You are on page 5 of 18.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 1,614 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.