Stern Sucks------DIRTY Deeds Done on Metallica!

By Quantumleap

4 years ago

Stats

• 873 posts
  • 184 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
distraction.jpg
spartacuscharacters.jpg
Metallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpg
duck1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
metclub_info_photo_2013.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_8.00.58_PM.png
monkey-nose-picking.gif
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_7.07.25_PM.png
The_End_is_Near.gif
spitting-smiley-emoticon.gif

There are 875 posts in topic. You are on page 4 of 18.
#150 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

My source tells me Metallica (the band) is pulling rank and giving order priority to their Fan Club members. Distributor orders come second.
DO NOT take this as gospel.. but this is what I'm told, and it wouldn't surprise me.

The Met Club site was showing in and out of stock all day yesterday and last night. I wonder if they oversold by "accident", and pulled rank today. The machine is no longer listed on the Met Club.

#151 4 years ago

So I am not a new poster here.... I called and got a verbal confirmation with one of the large distributors who happened to be at Pinburgh (if that give you a clue). Sent the money on Thursday and received an email yesterday saying I wasn't getting a machine.

I called him and asked why. He said his allotment was cut from 30 to 10 LE's. I am not sure I buy that yet at this point. I guess if GEX orders don't get cut, it will tell more of the story. I just hope to get my money back at this point, and also asked for a refund of my Star Trek LE deposit I had with him.

I see two possibilities:
1) Stern did cut the order allotment.
2) Other favored customers trumped my order.

I am waiting to see how it all works out with the other distributors.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

So I am not a new poster here.... I called and got a verbal confirmation with one of the large distributors who happened to be at Pinburgh (if that give you a clue). Sent the money on Thursday and received an email yesterday saying I wasn't getting a machine.
I called him and asked why. He said his allotment was cut from 30 to 10 LE's. I am not sure I buy that yet at this point. I guess if GEX orders don't get cut, it will tell more of the story. I just hope to get my money back at this point, and also asked for a refund of my Star Trek LE deposit I had with him.
I see two possibilities:

Not good at all.
Can you please give the distributor name?

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

30 to 10 LE's

30 to 10 ? I don't buy that at all. I would say from 80 to 60 , but 10 LEs, to one of the largest distributors . Are you sure you heard right ?

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Not good at all.

Sounds like it was Trent @ Tilt.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You can't figure it out ?

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from 85Txaggie:

I see two possibilities:

Stern should cut from the overseas allotment, not from distribs with orders already placed!!!! Gah I hope my order still stands....I'm getting all paranoid now....I was #2 to order, so if this IS my distrib and he only got 10, I guess that means I'm good....glarghghghh....

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I would say from 80 to 60

How can distributors get that many if there are only a couple hundred overall in the US and HOW many distributors?

#158 4 years ago

I actually really wish they would announce a larger LE run. It would be a good PR move.

(I put the beanie baby video in the other pinflation thread, because if this shorting situation has really happened, it's NOT funny, and that video is extremely funny.)

#159 4 years ago

I guess it is good to be poor so I don't have to worry about this crap

#160 4 years ago

If this goes sour for many pre-order people, how will anybody feel comfortable pre-ordering any other game from Stern in the future?

#161 4 years ago

Uhhh...Stern should make more Le's to handle the JJP like screw up

Very simple, bump it up to 750 or whatever, you don't cut the allotment after the fact especially as $$$ changed hands and distros accepted orders based on what they believed the allotment was....

#162 4 years ago

Perhaps the MMOP LE's sold so fast that even Metallica band members could not get as many as they were hoping to get for themselves/family/friends/loyal fans. So then Stern cut back on distribs allotment to help out the band members.

To me, Stern should just announce that they will up the qty of MMOP LE's to 750, and/or announce another LE model w/ a qty of say 300.

Hey, the new LE could be the Limited Edition LE, and the MOP LE would just be the normal LE.

#163 4 years ago

It does remind you of mothers running around like crazy people trying to scarf up those "limited" beanie babies! I'm glad pindom is firing on all cylinders right now...

#164 4 years ago

Or, people could just buy Premiums.

Just sayin'.

#165 4 years ago

Gary Stern has said numerous times that if they call something "Limited Edition" they will not re-run it or run additional units. This is why some games, including this one, will be run as "premiums" with the same gameplay as the LE, just different art.

Stern hasn't waivered on this philosophy and I doubt they will now. Surely they would have done it with TRON LE if they were going to go against their own word.

#166 4 years ago

Beanie babies were horrible because it was just another example of completely made up supply and demand. It seems like Metallica LE shares some similarities.

#167 4 years ago

all orders should be filled, if the 500 le's turn into 600 to accomplish this so be it. I can't see a lot of the le buyers having a problem with this. flippers might not like it but who cares about them.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Stern aren't going to announce more LEs. Adding another LE now would seriously pee off everyone that has an LE already and devalue the LEs for the next title because people would wait and see if a better LE gets announced later on. Stern love the mad panic for buying LEs and this is because customers know that they are genuinely limited. The only thing that will change is perhaps next release will have few more LEs available to begin with. My guess would be 800 in total, maybe split into 2 varieties.

they could increase the numbers a bit....they did this with TFLE machines. Originally only 100 of each then changed a few days later to higher numbers and no one got angry at this fact.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Just sayin'.

...and miss all this Drama?! Not on your life!

#170 4 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Just sayin'.

Agree with that, what I've been sayin' too!....but I think Stern has stepped in a pile on this one and is going to have to fix it...

#171 4 years ago

pile of dough

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Gary Stern has said numerous times that if they call something "Limited Edition" they will not re-run it or run additional units. This is why some games, including this one, will be run as "premiums" with the same gameplay as the LE, just different art.
Stern hasn't waivered on this philosophy and I doubt they will now. Surely they would have done it with TRON LE if they were going to go against their own word.

This situation is different because the game has not been made yet, and anybody that ordered could still cancel if it bothered them that the LE was going to be expanded before shipping. Also, it appears that there may be a major glitch in the supply/allocation system that Stern would appear to be at least partially at fault.

#173 4 years ago

what Stern should do is not announce the limited number of LE's. That way if the demand seems higher than they expected, they can increase the LE amount. Stern is screwing themselves over by the amount of preorder suckers out there willing to shell out.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what Stern should do is not announce the limited number of LE's. That way if the demand seems higher than they expected, they can increase the LE amount. Stern is screwing themselves over by the amount of preorder suckers out there willing to shell out.

Seriously, you think they would of figured out this one by now? It seems like such a no brainer.

#175 4 years ago

They just have to change the artwork on the premiums. I would buy one but the translite sucks.

#176 4 years ago

Great news:
you can all save around $1500 (?) by buying a Premium instead!
It's pretty much the same game.
I'm not interested in Metallica, but am glad to see there's such a high demand for another NIB Stern title. Best case scenario is they continue to sell out and are short for every new title. (Assuming that Premiums are available)
Wondering how many suppliers are stuck with Blue Avengers currently.

Of course, in the future, Stern should make the new pin announcement, give everyone like 2 weeks to get a deposit of whatever ($500?) into their suppliers, and then start producing that many Limited Editions. After that deadline, tough luck.
100% fill rate for all prebooks.

#177 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with Stern not any of the distributers. I think there may be some insight on things tomorrow - logic says bump up the LE numbers for a second run... win, win , win - except for the people trying to sell them for 9k we dont need those people anyway.

#178 4 years ago

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that a lot of distributors assumed that they would get the same quota of machines they usually do, and sold on that basis.

When their actual allotment was given to them (why this is done a week later, I don't know), it's seen as a 'cut'.

Hell, some distributors are taking pre-orders on Star Trek, and have been for months. How do they know how many of those they have to sell?

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Great news:
you can all save around $1500 (?) by buying a Premium instead!

You have a lead on a $5700 premium shipped?

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

Hell, some distributors are taking pre-orders on Star Trek

this says it all.

#181 4 years ago

Has it been 100% confirmed by Stern that Star Trek is the next game?

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

they could increase the numbers a bit....they did this with TFLE machines. Originally only 100 of each then changed a few days later to higher numbers and no one got angry at this fact.

I did not know that. Well, it's been more than a few days now plus I don't remember the TFLEs being fought over as vigorously back then so maybe the reaction would be different. Like I said I don't think many people would complain but it might affect the way they act come next release.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Nope

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

My guess, and this is just a guess, is that a lot of distributors assumed that they would get the same quota of machines they usually do, and sold on that basis.
When their actual allotment was given to them (why this is done a week later, I don't know), it's seen as a 'cut'.
Hell, some distributors are taking pre-orders on Star Trek, and have been for months. How do they know how many of those they have to sell?

I spoke to two distributors who both told me this exact thing. I spoke with one who had requested months ago to go from 25 to 50 games. He got his usual 25, but he was not cut.

BTW, let's get another 150 BIB LE's while we are asking. Just number them from 251-400.

Oh yeah, and I want a Hulk. I missed out on that, too.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I can see Stern doing another Iron Man, and LE version for the IM3 movie coming out, why not, people want it and they can stick another "pile" in their pockets

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

jints56 said:
Only problem I see with adding more LE's would be those that went PRO/Premium because they couldn't get an LE would be hosed again.

Right but neither of those are out yet.. so a buyer could simply shift their downpayment to a new LE game

absolutely!

#187 4 years ago

The big question is why is Stern fling over their distributors by cutting their allotment.

#188 4 years ago

People fighting over a $7500 toy pinball game with a simulated electric chair execution on the middle of the playfield. Doesn't get much weirder than this....

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

No....but it is. There's no "inbetween" game.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

People fighting over a $7500 toy pinball game with a simulated electric chair execution on the middle of the playfield. Doesn't get much weirder than this....

Obviously you haven't been to the DESW thread.

#191 4 years ago

This whole situation seems to be be....crazy!
Maybe by Metallica pulling rank, they are trying to eliminate a company/resource in Stern...we've seen this before....where is Napster now??
I really hope it wasn't Stern's fault (there is enough Stern bashing already), but if it is, shame on them. I don't believe they will "suffer" for this as there are always sheep that will buy anything. BUT, if it comes to light that this situation rose from neglect, there are enough of us to perhaps boycott their next game?? Even if it is ST!
I know, catch 22.....we don't buy, they don't sell, maybe they go out of business, we lose a maker of pins that we love?? I don't know the answers....regardless if I get my game, I will support fellow pinsiders in their haste!

I think I hear the guys at Skit-B grinning.....

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can see Stern doing another Iron Man, and LE version for the IM3 movie coming out, why not, people want it and they can stick another "pile" in their pockets

This is what they should do. There is plenty here that would shell out for IM at the new NIB prices.

#193 4 years ago

Dcfan,
Did not mean anything just "poking " at Butt hurt . Because it sounds funny : )

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

This whole situation seems to be be....crazy!
Maybe by Metallica pulling rank, they are trying to eliminate a company/resource in Stern...we've seen this before....where is Napster now??
I really hope it wasn't Stern's fault (there is enough Stern bashing already), but if it is, shame on them. I don't believe they will "suffer" for this as there are always sheep that will buy anything. BUT, if it comes to light that this situation rose from neglect, there are enough of us to perhaps boycott their next game?? Even if it is ST!
I know, catch 22.....we don't buy, they don't sell, maybe they go out of business, we lose a maker of pins that we love?? I don't know the answers....regardless if I get my game, I will support fellow pinsiders in their haste!
I think I hear the guys at Skit-B grinning.....

I think this is only going to drive more sales for future titles. I bet the Stern distributors will take tons of Star Trek LE orders over the next few days.

Skit-B needs to produce and ship a boxed and RoHS-compliant product before they can claim to be a true pinball manufacturer. Same with JJP as well IMHO. Until then, Stern is the ruler of the NIB pinball manufacturer universe.

#195 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Great news: you can all save around $1500 (?) by buying a Premium instead!

Where can I get this deal? That'd be GREAT!

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

BTW, let's get another 150 BIB LE's while we are asking. Just number them from 251-400.

That would be 301 to 450...

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is what they should do. There is plenty here that would shell out for IM at the new NIB prices.

At some point, the money train is going to dry up or the well won't be as deep and pin prices will revert to more sane levels....its just a numbers game, simple, the more NIB inventory that hits the market it will drive prices down in the future for the "big manufacturers" and then you'll have the Jpop's doing the high end, higher cost pin for those that want that...Like everything else in life, this is an up cycle for pinball and despite what some people may believe, there will be another down cycle, even if its due solely to external factors like a prolonged terrible economy, stock market drop, higher interest rates, etc....

I bought my first pin back in 2011, two years ago, a Lotr le, from Automated for 5200, shipped, with a shaker.....and I thought I must be crazy back then! I'm much crazier now although the madness has its limits

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That would be 301 to 450...

That's right. So, just go to 500, whatever it takes to give everybody everything that they want. No more limited edition of anything until every single person that wants one gets one.

I, for one, want the McRib available all year long.

Here is an excerpt as to how this works:

Coin, stamp, and collectible ad campaigns are often successful because they work from the concept of exclusivity by limiting the number of items that will be produced. When the items are sold out, they will "never be offered again."

This "limited edition" concept leaves many consumers to believe they are not just getting something other people won't be able to buy in the future (the exclusivity factor), but that high purchase prices often associated with collectibles are justifiable because the consumer is really buying an investment.

The reality is that simply limiting an item to a finite quantity does not necessarily increase its monetary value or collectability -- but it creates a demand for something where there otherwise might not really be much of one.

The next time you watch a television ad or infomercial, count how many use the term "exclusive offer" (or "limited") is used. Exclusive offers to "call in the next 20 minutes"(that are usually repeated so often there really is no exclusivity) sell products, not just because of the deal itself, but because of human nature.

I actually like my AC/DC Premium more than I liked my BIB LE.

#199 4 years ago

Stern is always adding new distributors. Their LE runs have stayed roughly the same (varying a bit from game to game). It only makes sense that each distributor is going to get fewer and fewer LE's as distributors are added. As a distributor I can see this being a pain in the butt. You get a loyal and regular customer base and then your LE allotment is cut because of added distributors or other smaller distributors being allotted more.

My guess is the only real fault here is with communication somewhere. Was it with the distributors ASSUMING that they were getting the same allotment that they usually get? Was it Stern that told distributors they could have X number or games and them cut them down to a lower number later? Was it the Mighty Met for pulling rank and games out of collectors hands? Who knows.

It is a bummer for people wanting the LE and can't find one (I have a friend in that boat) and even a bigger bummer if you thought you had one and it got pulled. That being said, it's the same game as the premium and I would be much more sympathetic if it were a game like Tron LE or X-Men LE where there was no premium model. If the Premium cab is a deal breaker for you...I'm guessing you weren't that interested in the game anyway. I agree the Premium translite is the worst of the lot, but I still can't see cab art or translite being the deciding factor on IF I buy a game or not (except in an extreme case...which I have yet to see).

Also LE stands for Limited Edition. I don't think that means we will make one for everyone that wants one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 39.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Mods
$ 60.00
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Norton, MA
$ 299.00
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 129.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
4,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Tecumseh, MI
$ 495.00
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Pinbology
$ 52.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 875 posts in topic. You are on page 4 of 18.

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 1,642 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.