(Topic ID: 47562)

Stern Sucks------DIRTY Deeds Done on Metallica!

By Quantumleap

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 877 posts
  • 184 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
distraction.jpg
spartacuscharacters.jpg
Metallica-Premium2-MU-01a.jpg
duck1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
metclub_info_photo_2013.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_8.00.58_PM.png
monkey-nose-picking.gif
Screen_Shot_2013-04-17_at_7.07.25_PM.png
The_End_is_Near.gif
spitting-smiley-emoticon.gif
There are 877 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
#101 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

My source tells me Metallica (the band) is pulling rank and giving order priority to their Fan Club members. Distributor orders come second.

Then they should have made a Fan Club LE

#102 11 years ago

From Stern's standpoint, who cares if they're 'rare'? All that does is bone the resale market. Maybe do a limited run (ie. run MOP from April to September) instead of locking it down to certain number of LEs. Stern doesn't see any money from the secondary market, they're not raking it in when a TRONLE sells for $10k. They make the $4,500 they sold TRONLE for in the first place two years ago.

Now, they're pissing everyone off and have customers and distributors fighting just to get one. Doesn't make sense. Everyone says to get rid of the Pro versions (I agree), but maybe get rid of the LE versions too. Like Fatsquatch said, one version, everyone wins.

#103 11 years ago

I'm kinda starting to hope this game sucks.

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Easy solution. Crank out 500 Ride the Lightning LE models with different art and translite. Maintains the unique nature of the Master of Puppets LE while satisfying the overwhelming demand.
Many Puppets buyers have said they would have went with a Lightning LE had it been available. Give them first dibs on switching their Puppets LE to a Lightning LE and make the rest available for general sale. Problem solved.

I spoke on the phone with Jim from Stern on 4/11 (Day of release). I asked about the possibility of them doing a Ride the Lightning LE and he said there is no way. Only 500 Master of Puppets will be made and no other LE's will be made.
I would be surprised if this was to happen.

#105 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Don't get yer hopes up...

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Not hoping that but all these "rumors" make it hard to want to follow the theme.

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Also, I know of a handful of distributors that keep one or two machines and stash them for later when prices jump so that they can sell them at an inflated premium. That kinda sucks, if you ask me.

I really don't have a problem with them doing this because they are taking the risk and paying for them up front. It does suck for people that want one but again they are the ones taking the risk and the ones that get burned if it doesn't work out.

Now if they are taking games away that they have pre-sold to resell to make a profit they should be named so future people can avoid dealing with them. Because there are got distributors out there that will look after you. Just ask around.

#108 11 years ago

Some distros oversold, basing their allotment of past games. The overseas market exploded on this title, and some distros did not get their usual allotment. They ended up having more pre sold than they actually were allotted. Stern didn't give a number and then roll it back on anyone.

#109 11 years ago

This just in....

'Sources' now confirming that this is nothing more than bull$hit started by people who missed the boat and are now butt-hurt... trying to stir up trouble hoping a few people believe enough to pull their order over it, freeing up a machine or 5...

Stay tuned as things 'develop'...

#110 11 years ago

I doubt news that there are even fewer machines to go around will convince anyone to give up their orders.

#111 11 years ago

the overseas market explose, i confirm, in france the price for the MOP is 8200€ , about 10600 US$ and it was already difficult to find one last saturday

#112 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

After the two and half hours I spent on the phone with various distributors yesterday chasing down leads (and even more time texting last night) I can personally assure you that is exactly what is happening...not with every distributor but certainly with some of them. I'm not going to call any distributor out by name because this hobby is so small and I may need them later for something but there was more than one that had some shady crap going on to jack the price up way over the MSRP before the game is even released to them.
I don't know if what they were doing was a violation of Stern's policies (Stern may not care) but it certainly should be.

I'm sure of it.

#113 11 years ago

Stop me if you've heard this before...

A guy signs up on Pinside and his first post is misinformation that others take as fact.

Pandemonium ensues.

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Stop me if you've heard this before...
A guy signs up on Pinside and his first post is misinformation that others take as fact.
Pandemonium ensues.

Stop

#115 11 years ago

Well believe what you want but distros orders have been cut. That is a FACT. So some lost out because of it. FACT.

#116 11 years ago

unfortunately, the OP speaks the truth.

Give it time, and this will unravel.. I don't mean to play devil's advocate here but there's a reason why GEX hasn't received confirmation from Stern in writing.

#117 11 years ago

The problem is people thinking about this as an investment. Why do you care how many are made? if its rare? Why, because you think it will hold some sort of value that you can then resell for more then you paid down the road (not because you give a shit about pinball and increasing its awareness like it was in the 80's and 90's, not because you want the game for its gameplay over its side art and crappy powder coating)

Pinball is not an investment, The same people driving up the prices will be selling their A and B titles down the road to fund their New Kids on the Block LEs, let me know I have cash in my pocket I'll be waiting.

Some of you guys need to get over it - who gives a shit if they make 3000 LEs - this isn't some sort of elite status you achieve by having a rare game and being first inline, if you want a rare game I will sell you my Airborne Avenger - only 350 made - maybe I should sell it for 5k even though I got it for $150. If the game sucks it doesnt matter how rare it is.

If stern was smart they would release more LEs release a Ride the Lightening LE - do away with the entire premium model and just have the Pros - no shortage, all you guys would stop wanking, distributers would make money and Stern would make money - this entire LE thing is getting out of control - sell them in 20 years with your cabbage patch kid collection and your worthless beanie babies....

YOur f*cking up pinball for the people that actually play and care about pinball, not collect games to put on display and be wiped down with a diaper....just my opinion... I still dont get the whole rare thing - so because you want a rare game you dont want other people to have the opportunity to own one? Is that selfish or greedy or both?

Tomorrow you will see this will change..

#118 11 years ago

I can't resist..but I think you mean
<black album>"You know it's sad but true!"</black album>

#119 11 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

The problem is people thinking about this as an investment. Why do you care how many are made? if its rare? Why, because you think it will hold some sort of value that you can then resell for more then you paid down the road (not because you give a shit about pinball and increasing its awareness like it was in the 80's and 90's, not because you want the game for its gameplay over its side art and crappy powder coating)
Pinball is not an investment, The same people driving up the prices will be selling their A and B titles down the road to fund their New Kids on the Block LEs, let me know I have cash in my pocket I'll be waiting.
Some of you guys need to get over it - who gives a shit if they make 3000 LEs - this isn't some sort of elite status you achieve by having a rare game and being first inline, if you want a rare game I will sell you my Airborne Avenger - only 350 made - maybe I should sell it for 5k even though I got it for $150. If the game sucks it doesnt matter how rare it is.
If stern was smart they would release more LEs release a Ride the Lightening LE - do away with the entire premium model and just have the Pros - no shortage, all you guys would stop wanking, distributers would make money and Stern would make money - this entire LE thing is getting out of control - sell them in 20 years with your cabbage patch kid collection and your worthless beanie babies....
YOur f*cking up pinball for the people that actually play and care about pinball, not collect games to put on display and be wiped down with a diaper....just my opinion... I still dont get the whole rare thing - so because you want a rare game you dont want other people to have the opportunity to own one? Is that selfish or greedy or both?

+1 !!

#120 11 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Guys who ordered from GEX orders are good! I'm trying to work on a confirmation email, but Being on the Cruise ship is making that more difficult than expected.. Plus my GF keeps distracting me!

I look forward to talking to you all when I get back, Thanks again for your orders and loyal support.

JJ

JJ...PLEASE!!!!!!

Don't worry about all of this crap. It's your vacation, dude. You deserve it. Stay out of touch for a day or 2...

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

JJ...PLEASE!!!!!!
Don't worry about all of this crap. It's your vacation, dude. You deserve it. Stay out of touch for a day or 2...

Poor guy picked the wrong time for a vacation

What I like most about a cruise is the ability to turn of my phone and email!!!

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

I don't necessarily disagree with this but they are making a Premium with the exact same gameplay as the LE. If you're not worried about rarity or re-sale value, just complete gameplay, the premium is the logical choice. It's what I'm buying.

You're not going to convince people not to try to make money if they see an opportunity. I doubt they are worried about "f*cking up" pinball for you.

#123 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Well believe what you want but distros orders have been cut. That is a FACT. So some lost out because of it. FACT.

+1

There's another thread with a POLL in it that quantifies this point of discussion.

#124 11 years ago

Normally I would say keep the LE an LE but if the band or another factor shortened our market unexpectedly I think adding back in to the count would make sense. Personally I think they were nuts for not making an LE just for the band to sell. Plus a regular run for our market.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Personally I think they were nuts for not making an LE just for the band to sell. Plus a regular run for our market.

That's what I believe.

#126 11 years ago

Anyone can join their fan club and order it... That said its sold out there now too .

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Personally I think they were nuts for not making an LE just for the band to sell. Plus a regular run for our market.

I may be oblivious, but I never would have expected typical Metallica fan club members to buy a $7500 pinball machine. That's an awfully expensive piece of memorabilia.

#128 11 years ago

Are pinball machines freakin' beanie babies now? Good lord.

#129 11 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

Are pinball machines freakin' beanie babies now? Good lord.

No...beanie babies went outta style. Pinball machines are in style BIG TIME right now!

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Can you provide any PROOF?? Because my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Gary Stern at 31 Flavors last night say this is not the case. I guess he was pretty serious...

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

No...beanie babies went outta style. Pinball machines are in style BIG TIME right now!

"Style"... great. I just want to play good games, but their being "in fashion" for rich dudes makes it a financial difficulty.

#132 11 years ago

I agree, if the band has taken many LEs for their fan club members then the supply chain has been messed up for the normal LOYAL Stern LE buyer's and made the game unobtainable for many. If that is the case Stern should either up the number of LEs or have a second version of the LE.
Also, no I am not butt hurt because I would not buy a Metallica pin no matter the version or price.

#133 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

lso, no I am not butt hurt because I would not buy a Metallica pin no matter the version or price.

I hoe you never have a reason to be Butt Hurt.

#134 11 years ago

WTF is going on.

#135 11 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

Can you provide any PROOF?? Because my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Gary Stern at 31 Flavors last night say this is not the case. I guess he was pretty serious...

BTW, the Ferris Bueller machine is ONLY being made as an LE. For what I've heard anyhoo.

#136 11 years ago

Only problem I see with adding more LE's would be those that went PRO/Premium because they couldn't get an LE would be hosed again.

#137 11 years ago
Quoted from cpu-slave:

There's no hard proof to contradict the claims either.. Stern and the distributors are keeping quiet about the whole thing. The only distributor who's spoken up openly about it was GEX, and even they don't have 100%, written confirmation either.

Stern dropped the ball somewhere.

#138 11 years ago

This cut is very real. My distributor has had his allocation cut by over 50%. The most recent cut came this morning.

I am currently getting a machine but that could change at any moment, at which Stern may have lost a customer for life. This is flat out bullshit and is no way to run a business.

I know my distributor personally and trust him 100% and don't believe he is pulling back stock to keep for himself.

#139 11 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

Only problem I see with adding more LE's would be those that went PRO/Premium because they couldn't get an LE would be hosed again.

Right but neither of those are out yet.. so a buyer could simply shift their downpayment to a new LE game.

#140 11 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

I bet at this early stage they could switch up.

#141 11 years ago

Could explain why the distributor I ordered with is not responding.

#142 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I hoe you never have a reason to be Butt Hurt.

What?

I was just responding to the post above saying people were just complaining and feeling "butt hurt" because they did not get one. I don't have any interest in getting a Metallica pin so I am not in that boat and simply wanted to make that clear that I did not miss out.
I feel sorry for others that wanted one and may have missed out because of the Metallica band members diverting the stock to non-pinheads.

#143 11 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

This cut is very real. My distributor has had his allocation cut by over 50%. The most recent cut came this morning.
I am currently getting a machine but that could change at any moment, at which Stern may have lost a customer for life. This is flat out bullshit and is no way to run a business.
I know my distributor personally and trust him 100% and don't believe he is pulling back stock to keep for himself.

100% agree. I was already mad about XMen. Metallica was going to make things right. Now, who knows.

#144 11 years ago

There are people buying multiples of machines with intent to sell at a profit? Blasphemy!

Wait...isn't that what distributors do? In many circumstances, they don't even BUY the game. They are getting paid to place an order for you because they can, and you can't.

I hear that many car dealers do the same thing. Oh, the horror!

#145 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Could explain why the distributor I ordered with is not responding.

This is going to be disaster for Stern if they do not make sure that dozens and dozens of people don't get left out that have pre-orders in with regular Stern distributors.

#146 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I bet at this early stage they could switch up.

Agreed. I actually like the idea of scrapping LE's all together and just have a Pro vs decked out Premium choice. I'm not in the hobby for the limited-ness...I want to play em

#147 11 years ago

Somebody please contact Williams and let them know what these pins are selling for today.......PLEASE

#148 11 years ago

Stern is not delivering enough games or something? Wow, at least all the WOZ people got theirs

#149 11 years ago
Quoted from WNflyer:

Stern is not delivering enough games or something? Wow, at least all the WOZ people got theirs

No they haven't lol....

#150 11 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Somebody please contact Williams and let them know what these pins are selling for today.......PLEASE

they would probably be doing the same crap unfortunately.....and there is just too much money in those darn one eyed bandits!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 149.00
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,600 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

There are 877 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dirty-deeds-done-on-metallica/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.