Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 194 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87069807_3089970921013229_1789687072374652928_n (resized).jpg
    thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg
    3e89ea1787221e66e010a710c4ed97d50d26de9d (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    hqdefault-1 (resized).jpg
    images-7 (resized).jpeg
    whine (resized).jpg
    EA0A33D3-01A9-484C-B12E-E2AA514CA7CE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

I don't' know, but I feel that 3 machines ( pro, Premium and LE) are a waste of time and cost's!
    Nothing more than a Ca$h grab....

What's odd is the Pro's apparently have higher margin (as was mention in the opening post). I wanted an Avengers Premium but ended up taking a Pro because that's all I could get my hands on at the time...Stern was building many more Pro's.

The sad thing about the tiering is the Premium/LE added mechs are often buggy because their isn't enough time/resources to nail both PF configurations.

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Anyone post this yet?

I posted it in another thread and several people blasted the guy as having an "axe to grind". Even if it's true, many of his key points struck a chord with me as a NIB Stern buyer since 2004.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Here’s the deal and come on man!!!!
    George and Gary to the team, “Hey fellas sorry about this LZ game but the license fee is so high you gotta figure out how to get something into this game. You know our MSRP on the LEs is gonna be $9,199 so make it work”
    Steve, “I’ve got this Gary. I’m gonna strip down AC/DC and put some side rail blinking lights in there and nobody will notice there is nothing on the pf or that the Iron Monger toy rising from the pf is a repeat
    Would you try and cram a BTTF or HP theme into that BOM?
    That’s why everybody says, “I sure wish JJP would make my dream theme”
    That’s coming from a guy that has bought the F out of Stern LEs
    Gonna be a bit picky now until my Casita gets built this spring!

I'm curious, did Gary actually say the LZ licensing fee was high?

#174 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I’m going to lay some opinion down.
    While we can love the BOM and assets on GnR, TH, Potc. The fact is that doesn’t guarantee a big seller and you can end up with a Potc or TH or Wonka or DI that doesn’t sell fantastical. Sure you’ll hit a GnR nerve and perhaps people will be clamoring for the CE and LE. But you’re not guaranteed of a sell out on every big BOM pin.
    Stern imo hedges their bets by spending modestly in time and BOM and so if a pin happens to sell weaker like Mustang or The Avengers, WWE and XM etc they’re on to Cincinnati. They can brush it off. But a better seller might be made off and on for a number of years. The cream rises to the top. JJP can be crippled by a combination of high quality high BOM and low selling pin like Potc.
    It’s like throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

All valid points, but I'd simplify it by saying it's all about the license and margins. I don't think the average customer thinks much about the BOM. They focus on the license, cost, and availability. Since I just heard Gary say they build 65 games a day, Stern games are the most available. I'm fairly certain they have higher margins than JJP, but since they are private companies, they don't report such things. Lastly, they've done pretty well with licensing. It's just too bad Stern isn't more selective with licensees...if the licensee doesn't engage and cough up assets, it would be better to sometimes walk away (rather than produce a substandard game). I think JJP's GNR will do well because the licensee was so involved and GNR is still a touring, relevant band. OTOH, LZ wasn't as involved (understatement and they aren't touring/relevant in today's music scene. I love the band, but disappointed in what they produced. Will wait to play it...maybe it will shine, who knows? JJP's decision to redo Pirates was odd...it's too bad that wasn't Toy Story. Toy Story is a timeless license...hopefully it's next up.

#182 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Going back to Stern spending big money once a year. After taking a look in the last ten years only three titles have been worth big money. The only themes worth big money are The Beatles, Sar Wars and Led Zeppelin.

In terms of BOM, I have no complaints with Beatles or Star Wars. People who rag on Beatles for being stark are wrong and the hyperdrive in Star Wars is the coolest mech Stern has ever done (under utilizing by the software, but that's another issue). Love Beatles and love/hate Star Wars. Can't wait to see LZ in person.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

People bitch about theme integration all the time and Star Wars is spot on perfect.

I agree...awesome theme integration. Liked it much better than BM66, which gets rave reviews for theme integration. Unfortunately, BM66 shoots awful.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/direction-of-stern-2021?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.