Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 194 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87069807_3089970921013229_1789687072374652928_n (resized).jpg
    thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg
    3e89ea1787221e66e010a710c4ed97d50d26de9d (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    hqdefault-1 (resized).jpg
    images-7 (resized).jpeg
    whine (resized).jpg
    EA0A33D3-01A9-484C-B12E-E2AA514CA7CE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elvishasleft.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 3 years ago

They are in a tough spot since they are dealing with lots of buyers who are clueless at business.

A big chunk of their market thinks they are "being cheap" and make 100% profit margins.

People want more stuff, better art, on and on but no one wants to pay up for it.

You are probably right that they should put out a super duper no holds barred game every year... problem with that would be the endless screaming about how they are "screwing" their customer base by putting out a pin they cant afford.

No matter what they do they will get shit....

#17 3 years ago

To me their licensing costs are the issue.

If they continue to go after some of the most expensive licenses out there the options after paying up are to

1. charge more (Elvira or Batman 66)

2. strip the game back (LZ and Star Wars)

Doing some original themes would be the compromise... would people buy those though??

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

I see what you’re saying except..... what about BKSOR? That game was stripped AF, especially the pro model

Maybe an experiment to see if they could make more money and if it would sell?

Plus its the only original theme they did.... and its not really original since its the 3rd Black Knight game.

All I know is the more they spend on a license the less they have to spend on the actual game and related hardware.

They seem pretty committed to the licensed theme concept overall.

#65 3 years ago

Maybe Covid will change some of these issues...

Stern has always looked at operator sales and that is one of the reasons BOM is kept low on Pros... they cant price them out of range for Ops to make money off them.

Now that operating pinball on location isnt happening or will probably be happening less maybe they will focus more on the home market?

Ops want a low issue cheap as possible game that will make money... thats what they get usually with a pro.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is just temporary. Once Covid vaccine is fully deployed pinball will be all around again. Stern shouldn't change that strategy. They have new people in the market right now filling the operator gap with travel money. Once Covid is gone that will shift back to operator purchases.

I doubt it... much like restaurants so many locations are going to go under that it will take some time to come back.

It may never come back to where it was... "fully deployed" could be two years.

I think Stern has always seen themselves as operators first and home second... that switched this year.

Like allot of companies they found out this year that they can still sell a ton of games when locations arent buying.

#71 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

TERRIBLE IDEA
    Targeting the end of the market that has infinite funds at the expense of the average enthusiast that can only stomach 5-10k in pin budget a year is a terrible long term strategy.

No its not... there are way more "rich people" in the hobby than you think and more and more get in every day.

Why do you think LEs sell out every run?

If your pin budget is 5-10K a year you arent their market to begin with.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Because they only make 500-1000. Lol how is 10k a year not in the market for a product that currently costs 5-9k. Get real

They arent trying to sell pins to someone who can afford one pin a year.

They want collectors and people with a house full of pins.

They put out 4 or 5 a year.. this is what 25-50k in disposable income a year to spend on a toy?

Most people I know with "collections" have over 100K in them.. that is their market.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL this thread was started because of a Gary Stern interview in that interview Gary states %40-%50 of his sales are to those who put games on route. Ownership was broken into %40-%50 on route the man cave people and the collector the last two were not broken down by %. To screw over the people who buy half your games is just stupid just look at JJP they are trying to get a piece of that market. go to the 1 hr mark https://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-s01-e20

Like allot of businesses Stern has been doing things one way forever so its hard for then to think any different.

They were selling to operators when there was no home market.... Gary will always think Ops are "the business" because he is old school.

All I am saying is now with sales up when operators aren't buying that may make them pivot to catering more to home buyers faster than they ever would have otherwise.

Same kind of adjustments many business have to make if they are going to stay viable during covid.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

No way, I guarantee that the majority of NIB stern buyers buy less than 1 game a year. even a 100k collection is only 7 of these Unlimited bom games... it’s not like they are all bought in one year. stern sales are up because of new people coming into the hobby because of a current trend and covid.

be a pretty shitty business if their goal was to sell less than one pin a year to everyone.

I can assure you as someone who knows a few dealers personally that you are wrong.

Most people in the hobby buy multiple games a year and most times multiple at a time. I know many people with every single new Stern from the last two years in a row (LEs even)

You have noticed that their games are sold out and backordered?

You think thats all from single buyers picking up one game each all year?

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

I agree that many people buy multiple NIB games a year. I bought 4 NIb in 2020. But it’s not the majority. It could add up to more than 50% of sales but it’s not 50% of customers.
    It’s more likely something like
    5% of customers - 4 per year
    15% of customers 3 per year
    20% of customers 2 per year
    Etc

Its the exact opposite of what you think it is.. honestly.

May depend on area or demographics but for the people I know they have a house full of pins and consider buying every new one that comes out.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

No it’s not, you’re not even factoring the used game market and the fact that there are multiple other manufacturers as well.

OK I give up .. we can agree to disagree.

There is no business on the planet that looks at their core market as the ones who buy the least.

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Here’s your typical business-owner superiority complex post. You’re right. I’m not a business owner, but neither of us own Stern. As a consumer, I want as much as I can get for as little as possible. Did you think that that philosophy should only work in the business owner’s favor?

Its not a superiority complex.. its math that most people dont seem to get.

The assumption here is that they are making this huge margin per game by "cheating" home buyers out of features etc.

They arent.. they are in a small margin volume business. They need to sell as many as possible.

And yes.. as a business they want to make money.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Of course being that you are a pin collector you will know people with collections Try talking pins with people who own 8 Harley Davidsons they will just look at you funny your pin world is a small bubble . There are around 100 a week made across the entire globe that is a nitch hobby

yah but I also know the dealers that sell to these people and I can tell you they dont just buy one a year... its actually rare for someone to buy one and then disappear for a year.

One or two a year would actually be considered a bad customer.

Its a low margin high volume business... if it was just selling one here and one there it wouldnt exist.

Its an expensive hobby and there are no lack of people in it that can afford to buy whatever they want ( and do).

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

It’s not their core market but it still accounts for around 50% of sales, it’s the case for every retail business out there. You don’t think someone that buys a new MacBook pro every other year is a core apple customer?

You cant compare a computer which everyone needs to a toy that costs 5K..

computers are also meant to last a few years its not something you buy on a whim.

Plus pins are designed to get you excited about every new one that comes up.. why do you think they spend so much on licensing.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I am a bad customer
    [quoted image]

Its a low margin business so they need to move lots of games to make money... dealers and Stern.

I am sure they love you anyways.

I am a bad customer too since I hate buying NIB and I never buy without playing first

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

With consumers looking out for themselves and businesses looking out for themselves, isn’t that where price discovery is truly found?

Since their games are selling out and there are backorders on most games I would think they are already there.

I dont see much motivation for them to change unless sales drop which hasnt happened.

They run pretty thin already.. cant add more to games without charging more.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Gary rightful believes without location pinball there is no “next generation of buyers”
    If oins are only in basements- there is no (or a greatly reduced) feeder network for growing new buyers

He is 100% correct but I think he has already found that audience if you look at demand outstripping supply right now.

He has more people buying than he can support (nice problem to have BTW).

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The question you can’t answer with confidence is if that would lead to actual higher returns.
    Case in point... Dialed in was that “unleash the beast” project... and it didn’t lead to runaway sales.
    TZ was too... and it wasn’t the market success.

Good point... Dialed in is pretty awesome though.

Theme kind of sucks the life out of it, if the theme was cooler it would have been an all time great game.

#170 3 years ago

I think they need to go the opposite route and do more of "the pin"

OK.. Ill leave now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider elvishasleft.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/direction-of-stern-2021?tu=elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.