Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 194 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JY64
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

87069807_3089970921013229_1789687072374652928_n (resized).jpg
    thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg
    3e89ea1787221e66e010a710c4ed97d50d26de9d (resized).jpg
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
    hqdefault-1 (resized).jpg
    images-7 (resized).jpeg
    whine (resized).jpg
    EA0A33D3-01A9-484C-B12E-E2AA514CA7CE (resized).jpeg
    There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The analogy is Stern has Michael Jordan, Lebron James and Tim Duncan on the same team and then keeps them on the bench for 1/2 of the game
    Time to go next level and stop mailing in the BOM

The question you can’t answer with confidence is if that would lead to actual higher returns.

Case in point... Dialed in was that “unleash the beast” project... and it didn’t lead to runaway sales.

TZ was too... and it wasn’t the market success.

#102 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

They were selling to operators when there was no home market.... Gary will always think Ops are "the business" because he is old school.

Gary rightful believes without location pinball there is no “next generation of buyers”

If oins are only in basements- there is no (or a greatly reduced) feeder network for growing new buyers

#103 3 years ago

How are minorities going to afford a pinball if Stern keeps raising the prices?

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Based on what OP stated as an example It would have been great if they started this concept with SW. It would have been great to get this one awesome theme integrated with every bell and whistle. Just something more than the usual. I know there was probably plenty of license restrictions but yea price it accordingly if more was put into it and make it a true SW world under glass. GOT too with so much was expected from people.
    They’re just comfortable with what they’re doing. Avengers is mainstream right now and makes sense to get more out there. People around here seem pretty settled on Pro models in general despite lacking features and gameplay compared to higher models. Good price point for most it seems.

Mandolorian could be the a huge hit. Good luck to all involved to make it happen. Bells and whistles.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Gary rightful believes without location pinball there is no “next generation of buyers”
    If oins are only in basements- there is no (or a greatly reduced) feeder network for growing new buyers

He is 100% correct but I think he has already found that audience if you look at demand outstripping supply right now.

He has more people buying than he can support (nice problem to have BTW).

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

The question you can’t answer with confidence is if that would lead to actual higher returns.
    Case in point... Dialed in was that “unleash the beast” project... and it didn’t lead to runaway sales.
    TZ was too... and it wasn’t the market success.

Good point... Dialed in is pretty awesome though.

Theme kind of sucks the life out of it, if the theme was cooler it would have been an all time great game.

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Let's say JJP makes $3k per LE and they happy with that. Well Stern may not be happy with $3k per LE and instead demand $4k - $5k profit per LE. That sounds like greed versus just being happy with making a decent profit while putting out a quality product. Its possible Stern could make JJP loaded titles and generate a profit of $60 million a year versus $70 million (just an example) using today's build methods. What is so wrong about that?

What is wrong with that is approximately 10 million dollars. They are a business, not a charity. Let's take it a step further. Why can't both Stern and JJP be non-profit organizations? What is so wrong with that?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Games like LOTR were loaded and sold for $3500 about 15 - 17 years ago. Inflation takes that $3500 to about $5k in 2020 dollars. Do premiums today cost $5k? No. They now cost around $7500, they have decals vs direct printed cabinets, cheaper quality parts, heads made with 2 pieces of wood and metal, no proper lockdown bar, cheaper quality playfields, etc.

Disingenuous at best. Selling LOTR at $3500 worked so well that a few years later an investor had to come in or they would've went out of business. They still offer the Pro at around the 5k price point. Does it have less in it than LOTR? Yes. Why? Because they want to stay in business. I know nothing about their internal numbers, but I believe Gary has said they make next to nothing on the Pros. They keep them at that price for the operator market.

What does JJP have at that price point? Nothing. Why? They wouldn't be able to make any money at it.

As far as the "inferior" stuff goes, my opinion:

- Decals are better than direct print. More consistent, higher def, easier to repair/replace if damaged. Plus from a manufacturing standpoint they make about 1000 times more sense.

- I prefer the metal head to the fully wooden one. You still get the head art, things are lighter, easier to repair the head side if damaged, etc. Again, all upside. Not just for the manufacturer but the consumer.

- The lockdown bar locks down better with the latches. It is solid and doesn't move. It is more inconvenient to take in and out, but we are talking 5 seconds vs two seconds.

- Cheaper quality playfields? Highly debatable. I know, people use the "back in my day you could drop a ballpeen hammer from 200 feet and it wouldn't make a scratch" anecdotal type story, but I haven't seen any actual evidence that their playfields are materially different than they were in 2003, and that if they are it is because Stern decided to save some cash. Problematic clear coats over the last couple of years, absolutely. JJP has this problem too though, so let's keep the finger pointing equal.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m totally with you on this Ice. But the problem is, as so many in this thread have noted, that Stern is killing it with sales right now and can’t meet their own demand.
    With that in mind, what is Stern’s financial motivation to modify the current formula?

So part of my point is exactly what Gary said keeps him up at night, what he thinks about when he walks the line, making decisions on what comes next and how is he going to transition this company to new leadership and protect and grow those 300+ employees.

Gary and his "business partner" can simply just ride the current wave of success due in part to a GREAT economy that has roared back despite Covid. Sort of mail it in until it stops.

Consumer spending dipped in November for the 1st time, Covid relief is in jeopardy, and most importantly we might see an increase in taxes. Gary remembers what the economy was like in 2008 versus the past 4-6 yrs.

The Bull market in stocks/pins etc. can't and won't go on forever!

Be a visionary leader for the future! All those 300+ jobs depend on it. Are you gonna be fat cat happy Gary or keep evolving and innovating?

Continue to dial up the current success you are having with 3 titles a year and then take it to the next F ing level on just ONE title!

The market is there, the $$$ is there and that is where the FUTURE is. If it's all about the $$$, they can make more with this strategy!!!

If JJP can capture the "FUN FACTOR" along with the "WOW FACTOR" then that's where i'll be looking to spend my $$$, like GNR.

Just repeat what JJP did with GNRCE. Staying on top is no guarantee for anybody!! .

Change is coming like it or not, don't get caught with your pants down.

Hey, it shocked me I would be thrilled about getting a RAZA over an LZ. Just saying.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

TERRIBLE IDEA
    Targeting the end of the market that has infinite funds at the expense of the average enthusiast that can only stomach 5-10k in pin budget a year is a terrible long term strategy. Short term it could provide higher returns but it will gradually shrink the market and when those high end buyers move on to a different hobby they will be left wondering what happened. Stern should figure out how to make the best quality/most fun games at the lowest possible cost. That should always be the goal.
    They need to focus on the parts of a pinball machine that don’t directly go up in cost as quality improves.
    - layout
    - art
    - code
    - lighting
    There are an infinite number of untapped possibilities just with the above, you don’t need expensive and unreliable mechanics to Make pinball interesting deep or fun.
    I am also a big fan of the idea of modular upgrades. If I buy a pro I should be able to eventually piece by piece upgrade to a premium (minus art) - though it may cost me a little more.
    Things like toppers are a good way for them to squeeze dollars out of the top end of the market without fucking over the rest of us.

Agreed thoose things just gets cheaper and cheaper. But honestly, how much does mechs cost?
    I would be seriously surprised if stern bom for a spinning pizza is more then 50$.
    Add five more items like that and your game should only go up a 500$ tops and people would call it woz-loaded.

The reason thoose five mechs isn"t added, is simply laziness and they dont need to, cause the game sells anyway.

I'm really looking forward to the pinball future. More companies, more competition and no more souless barren games.

#110 3 years ago

Good point... Dialed in is pretty awesome though.
    Theme kind of sucks the life out of it, if the theme was cooler it would have been an all time great game.

The problem with dialed is the theme is terrible, besides the disaster voices poorly executed. There is no fun point or prize completing stuff.
    The scoring which is left, due to lack of interesting story progression, is so unbalanced, you end up doing just one thing.

#111 3 years ago

Keith Elwin and Rick Naegle and many other unsung heroes on that team, along with anything Lyman touches have kept Stern growth going

At least they understand the need for new blood and life. Ray Davidson, another guy that gets what we want in a pinball machine

What would Stern be like now without those guys? How about JJP without Eric?

Come on man, unleash the full potential of those guys!!!

More succinctly, when Gary says, “I could do a box of lights and Star Wars would sell out”

When you are up at night next time Gary how about thinking what it would be like to create the best game ever with such an iconic theme?

BTTF? Harry Potter? Bond?

Let’s go!

#112 3 years ago

Tron 82 and would please help?

Please...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #113 3 years ago
    Quoted from Galvez1978:

There comes a hard days for pinball in 2021, in Europe just put a new import taxes of a 25% and the new prices por pinballs are aprox:
    Stern:
    Pro: 7350€----8900USD
    Premium: 10000€----12000USD
    LE:12500€----15000USD
    Jersey:
    SE:9500€----11500USD
    LE: 12750€----155000USD
    This it's insane!!!!!!!!

What is the reason for this? Was it targeted at coin op/gambling/gaming? Imports in General or just specifically pinball?

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Of course being that you are a pin collector you will know people with collections Try talking pins with people who own 8 Harley Davidsons they will just look at you funny your pin world is a small bubble. There are around 400 a week made across the entire globe that is a nitch hobby

But what about those of us that collect both??

But you are right, aside from the couple pinheads I've met on here or RGP back in the day, none of my friends know anything about pinball other than 'those are cool i love pinball! How much do they cost a grand or so?' Hah. I am embarrassed to even tell people how much they cost because I feel like it makes me look like an asshole.

Ice, for one, doesn't count. Sorry, but he represents the extreme high end of buyers. Honestly I do not know who is buying all these games sight unseen.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL this thread was started because of a Gary Stern interview in that interview Gary states %40-%50 of his sales are to those who put games on route. Ownership was broken into %40-%50 on route the man cave people and the collector the last two were not broken down by %. To screw over the people who buy half your games is just stupid just look at JJP they are trying to get a piece of that market. go to the 1 hr mark https://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-s01-e20

Lol - if you read the opening post, he’s talking about one game per year.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Like Hot Wheels.
    Its a theme geared towards 8 year old boys. I don't care if its a shooter or not that will kill it for me.

Not me. I was 8 years old once. My father couldn't afford to buy me Hot Wheels cars like the other boys had. But now I can afford pins, most preferably ones that shoot well.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from Napoleon:

Ritchie ruined no such thing with his voice work.

Yeah he did. He turned into a bad joke mess.

Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

You know the majority of Hot Wheels are purchased and collected by grown men right?

Its a theme with no age limit.. Only those who Self impose a restriction upon having fun will see it as a "kids" game.

restriction? so a game about car racing and u would take hot wheels over MadMax or GTA. But this is to be expected with the pinball dorks, I mean collect what u want but if ur so into hot wheels at this point that u welcome a pinball machine with that theme then not sure what to say. Man I question the themes all the time cause they stink but all I have to do is look at footage of a pinball convention and it becomes quite clear.

#118 3 years ago

One or two a year would actually be considered a bad customer.

Wow as someone new to the hobby with my first pin JP Premium it seems to be you might be a bit disconnected with normal buyers. lol

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Finally got through all of the Gary Stern interview with Franchi and Dr Pin
    I wanted to start this thread because I know they read Pinside
    It was a great interview. I like hearing from all manufacturers and talking about where they have been and where they are going
    It’s clear based on Gary’s comments that they are struggling with fitting every game into the same BOM, regardless of title, and/or increasing the toys and features and needing to raise price
    As a guy that has purchased TWDLE, ASLE, GBLE, IMDNLE, JPLE, MunstersLE, STHLE, ElviraLE, Beatles GOLD, AC/DC premium, LOTRLE, SM, TSPP, WPT, BM66LE and AIQLE recently here is my suggestion.
    Take at least ONE theme per year and throw out the BOM and then just price it accordingly. The more in there the better
    As a new GNRCE buyer I’m looking for “more” and am willing to pay for it
    It’s why I passed on LZ. Ok, you gotta satisfy all the different parts of the market. Easy to make, great theme, excellent profit
    When you talk about putting Avengers pros on the line instead of Elvira or JP “because it’s easier to make and the profit margin is higher” that’s not what we want to hear. I get it though, I am a CPA and attorney and understand the business has to work.
    I agree that “FUN” is #1 with Stern pinball and you do a great job with it.
    As you guys struggle with how to allocate resources each day, Consider Making at least ONE “FUN” and SPECIAL pin per year, without regard to the BOM and just price it however it comes out. WE WILL BUY IT
    I’ve accumulated enough “FUN” and will be looking forward to GNRCE type stuff in the future
    You know you got there when people say WOW, this game is packed like a JJP game and plays like a FUN Stern game!
    Make it happen Gary and George! Life is short

Not exactly buddy.

As Radiohead said in a song « i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul »
    Well, he wants all perfect!. As i do.

Then, i want perfect layout, a perfect loaded game, a perfect code, a perfect theme, a perfect fun game,...then i buy it, whatever the company...(mais sans cette nouvelle taxe a la con évidemment)

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

There is no feeder network in general because Stern's marketing is dogshit. It's the same thing every game. Deadflip/Ign ain't cutting it no more. JJp sending a wonka to the slo mo guys is the right way to grow new buyers

#121 3 years ago

Ok.. I jumped back in the hobby last year. Bought two NIB pins (only because the price rivaled used prices). This year i bought a sweet used pin with mods.. great price beautiful machine. And recently traded a pin with some cash for another NIB. Guess how many NIB pins I planned on buying.. zero. I only ended up with them because the price was right. I dont buy pins without playing them, nor do I like to be an early adopter while the glitches are being worked out. Right now I've accepted that a stern pro is 5k used and 6k or more new. I also accepted that I won't ever buy a NIB pin for 9k-15k. I dont care how earth shattering it is. Pricrs are insane. I dont know what everyone is looking for. These pins aren't lacking. Yes some are better than others, but very few fall flat. If u are looking for bang for the buck, I think pinball is the wrong hobby despite the fact that games don't seem to lose much value. Being newly back into the hobby I can see there is a clear line between the haves and have nots. I hope the prices stay as low as possible and I can afford to stay involved. I for one say thank u to Stern for the fun games in my collection. If I was excited about a pinball company it is American. Had an Oktoberfest - solid build, really nice. Just kinda slow and not much use of the best toys in the game for the average player. My family was terribly bored with hot wheels. And Houdini was fine but tough shooter. If they find a couple strong themes and work on the design aspect a little more.. American can crush it. Maybe do something with the head.. little odd looking.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The BOM excuse from Stern comes across as BS. Stern investors likely have a figure in mind of X amount of dollars they want to make per game. If JJP is making games with more in them, and overall using higher quality parts for the same price (premiums and LE's) that tells you they make less per game then Stern.
    Let's say JJP makes $3k per LE and they happy with that. Well Stern may not be happy with $3k per LE and instead demand $4k - $5k profit per LE. That sounds like greed versus just being happy with making a decent profit while putting out a quality product. Its possible Stern could make JJP loaded titles and generate a profit of $60 million a year versus $70 million (just an example) using today's build methods. What is so wrong about that?
    Games like LOTR were loaded and sold for $3500 about 15 - 17 years ago. Inflation takes that $3500 to about $5k in 2020 dollars. Do premiums today cost $5k? No. They now cost around $7500, they have decals vs direct printed cabinets, cheaper quality parts, heads made with 2 pieces of wood and metal, no proper lockdown bar, cheaper quality playfields, etc.
    So yes the BOM excuse at the prices Stern is charging today doesn't fly. Consumers can buy similar priced games from JJP with higher quality parts, more features, more code work, etc...something doesn't add up. Theres no reason customers should have to pay $15k for a Stern LE that is comparable to a JJP LE that cost $9.5k. What so Stern can make a $5k profit versus $3k? Forget that.
    Hallelujah! Holy sh*t! Where’s the Tylenol?

You got a thumbs up from me solely on the NL Christmas reference. Even read it in Clark's exasperated voice xD ....!

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah he did. He turned into a bad joke mess.

restriction? so a game about car racing and u would take hot wheels over MadMax or GTA. But this is to be expected with the pinball dorks, I mean collect what u want but if ur so into hot wheels at this point that u welcome a pinball machine with that theme then not sure what to say. Man I question the themes all the time cause they stink but all I have to do is look at footage of a pinball convention and it becomes quite clear.

And you got a thumb up from me because you made me laugh my ass off!

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from Galvez1978:

There comes a hard days for pinball in 2021, in Europe just put a new import taxes of a 25% and the new prices por pinballs are aprox:
    Stern:
    Pro: 7350€----8900USD
    Premium: 10000€----12000USD
    LE:12500€----15000USD
    Jersey:
    SE:9500€----11500USD
    LE: 12750€----155000USD
    This it's insane!!!!!!!!

Yep, US pinball sales are dead in Europe until this tariff ends. I had a recent console order from the US (Analogue.co), and all-in paid 50% extra (including 'usual' 20% import taxes). The 25% tariff is on goods value AND shipping cost, then the 20% is charged on THAT total. What a rip-off consumer tax

From a UK perspective, a mini-trade deal with the US is imminent which will END this (and other) tariffs here, presumably from 1/1/21 when we leave the EU single market. Together with removal of other EU protectionist measures, the UK might be buying a lot more from the US imminently, and hopefully in the other direction too

Viva free markets!!

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Not exactly buddy.
    As Radiohead said in a song « i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul »
    Well, he wants all perfect!. As i do.
    Then, i want perfect layout, a perfect loaded game, a perfect code, a perfect theme, a perfect fun game,...then i buy it, whatever the company...(mais sans cette nouvelle taxe a la con évidemment)

I want a perfect playfield, I want a perfect soul.

#126 3 years ago

I would like to know a little bit of what's coming. One of My favorite parts of collecting comics was a book called previews. It was an order book, for two months ahead.

It was the anticipation. I can only guess what is next today in pinball. This is ok, but only a little bit, for me.

But I will always be dropping my quarters in good pinball.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I would like to know a little bit of what's coming.

We always know. GnR and Zeppelin were known months before. Every game in the last 5 or so yrs has been pretty well a sealed deal long before the official announcement. Ur not gonna get a preview book that's for sure.

#128 3 years ago

One comment, from about the late '70s through the early '90s:
    "WWWD?"

At that moment in time, the "W" made great solid games with unique titles and much of that stock is still running and performing well - now with 30+ years of use and abuse. With few of the issues that today Stern owners have complained about for the last many years.

Find a historic template for success in your industry, make product, production and customer issue adjustments applicable to today's demands and standards, charge what the market will bear, and then rinse-and-repeat.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You got a thumbs up from me solely on the NL Christmas reference. Even read it in Clark's exasperated voice xD ....!

I worked for 20+ years for two major construction equipment manufacturers.
    We used to say "there is never a BOM that we (and our shareholders) can't like."
    Adjustments to BOMs and vendor-supplied parts prices were NOT unusual, for said reasons.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Just look at GNR. Case closed

G&R is not loaded with mechanical devices there is the multiball locking device and the record not exactly toy heavy. If bling is your thing buy G&R plus LZ music is a 10 G&R is a 6 or 7 at best

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Lol - if you read the opening post, he’s talking about one game per year.

If you truly think Stern owes than you are acting quite entitled go shopping at AP CGC JJP saying that Stern needs to make this game for you speaks volumes and you should really stop bitching about them

#132 3 years ago

Higher BOM doesn’t have to mean finicky unique mechs. It can mean not skimping on standard reliable mechs that used to be pretty standard- kickback, knocker, more drops, divertors, Vuks. But when even the Premiums skimp on this stuff and top out at ~15 coils it’s a real drag.

#133 3 years ago
    3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg3a5861c95871f4063a7f57a2ed97988a (resized).jpg3e89ea1787221e66e010a710c4ed97d50d26de9d (resized).jpg3e89ea1787221e66e010a710c4ed97d50d26de9d (resized).jpg
    #134 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL this thread was started because of a Gary Stern interview in that interview Gary states %40-%50 of his sales are to those who put games on route. Ownership was broken into %40-%50 on route the man cave people and the collector the last two were not broken down by %. To screw over the people who buy half your games is just stupid just look at JJP they are trying to get a piece of that market. go to the 1 hr mark https://superawesomepinballshow.libsyn.com/the-super-awesome-pinball-show-s01-e20

ONE F ing game. To disregard the other 50% is just plain stupid as well

Maybe Stern just can’t do it?

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

If you truly think Stern owes than you are acting quite entitled go shopping at AP CGC JJP saying that Stern needs to make this game for you speaks volumes and you should really stop bitching about them

Let’s see if taking 1/2 your customer base for granted works out well for them

Can’t keep cranking out the same old LEs over and over again forever. “But it’s working right now”. Until it doesn’t

Elwin has saved Stern in the interim and delayed what’s coming down the road

Complacency is gonna kill the golden goose

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

As a new GNRCE buyer I’m looking for “more” and am willing to pay for it
    It’s why I passed on LZ.

I’ve accumulated enough “FUN” and will be looking forward to GNRCE type stuff in the future
    You know you got there when people say WOW, this game is packed like a JJP game and plays like a FUN Stern game!
    Make it happen Gary and George! Life is short

I can appreciate this, I was thinking of buying anything new Stern (the last was SW premium) while I've played all their games they just seem very same (Elvira or BM66 probably the better two but they still seem very cost constrained).

I know I'm partial to the pins I own and I love Stern pins but they can not compare to the quality (IMO) of CGC or JJP pins with the mechs and build quality. I find myself reluctant to sell my Stern Sam pins for newer Spike games.

I am looking at Alien (metal ramps, wide body 4 flippers etc..) for just a bit over the cost of a Stern premium.

#137 3 years ago

I don't know Stern's BOM numbers, how many games they actually sell, or what their real estate, employee, and equipment costs are. Nobody in this thread does, let's be honest.

I can say this: I get where Ice is coming from, and I don't think it's really a BOM problem. Or, to be more precise, I don't think you can simply throw money at the parts list to fix it.

I've talked with numerous people who work at Stern over the years. They all paint a similar picture for me. They'd love to make games that captured more of that 90s Bally Williams magic, but they simply aren't give the time to do it. People expect deeper code than the 90s games had, and the programmers are given less time to do it.

It's not so much a budget problem as it's a creativity problem. Sure, a few hundred bucks more in parts would probably be great to have to get ambitious with. But if you ask me the way to get what Ice wants isn't to open the wallet for the BOM, it's to be willing to pay the people to take their time with a special game.

Pick a license with some freedom (the opposite of LZ), give your artists time to do good work, give your programmer time to really develop something, and sure, open the BOM a little for the game designer. But it doesn't need to cost that much more I suspect, you just need to be willing to wait a little longer for that one special cornerstone every year to try and blow the doors off.

This is the real sauce at JJP. They work longer on their games. Stern can't compete with the effort of JJP not because they don't have smart and good people, but because they pump out the games so much faster.

Quoted from rai:

I am looking at Alien (metal ramps, wide body 4 flippers etc..) for just a bit over the cost of a Stern premium.

For all the issues we had making Alien we did have one advantage: the long development time meant there was room to let the programmers think things through, for David Thiel to get the sound right, for us to talk and think thing through. It's not a perfect game, but everyone seems to agree the immersion and atmosphere is great. That came out of having the time to sweat the details. For all the things that could still improve, and whatever the future holds for the game now, the thing that makes it work is a team being given free rein to care.

#138 3 years ago

Sorry but this is really boring now. JJP releases a game and everyone ohhs and ahhs over the flashing lights and pretty toys then the next Stern release gets lambasted for not following suit, then it becomes clear the Stern game is a better player and within a year its a much more sought after pin. Another year goes where Stern gets praised cause they have 3 to 5 games out to every one of JJP and until the next "golden pin" everything is fine. Rinse and repeat. Holy shit, buy which pins u like and STFU. The only reason this is such a big deal in cause u old farts with Zeppelin lust didn't get the same supposed live experience horseshit ur getting from GnR. Who gives a shit.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

One comment, from about the late '70s through the early '90s:
    "WWWD?"
    At that moment in time, the "W" made great solid games with unique titles and much of that stock is still running and performing well - now with 30+ years of use and abuse. With few of the issues that today Stern owners have complained about for the last many years.

WWWD? They would go out of business because their model was unstainable.

From a financial/longevity perspective, nobody comes even close to what Gary Stern has achieved. Nobody.

BOM costs are a fraction of what determines cash flow/profit. Even Gary has said the thing he learned most from his father was the cost of inventory days aged. I don't see that discussed in all of these "Why doesn't Stern/JJP/CGC/DR/etc.", do. Just the direct costs.

Anyone who has been successful in financial operations knows it's your overhead that makes or breaks you, not your direct costs. And as for WMS, their "template" didn't last did it? Otherwise they would still be making pins today.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Omfg. If I could decipher what you are saying I’d give an intelligent reply. Instead I’ll go with an emoji:

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't know Stern's BOM numbers, how many games they actually sell, or what their real estate, employee, and equipment costs are. Nobody in this thread does, let's be honest.
    I can say this: I get where Ice is coming from, and I don't think it's really a BOM problem. Or, to be more precise, I don't think you can simply throw money at the parts list to fix it.
    I've talked with numerous people who work at Stern over the years. They all paint a similar picture for me. They'd love to make games that captured more of that 90s Bally Williams magic, but they simply aren't give the time to do it. People expect deeper code than the 90s games had, and the programmers are given less time to do it.
    It's not so much a budget problem as it's a creativity problem. Sure, a few hundred bucks more in parts would probably be great to have to get ambitious with. But if you ask me the way to get what Ice wants isn't to open the wallet for the BOM, it's to be willing to pay the people to take their time with a special game.
    Pick a license with some freedom (the opposite of LZ), give your artists time to do good work, give your programmer time to really develop something, and sure, open the BOM a little for the game designer. But it doesn't need to cost that much more I suspect, you just need to be willing to wait a little longer for that one special cornerstone every year to try and blow the doors off.
    This is the real sauce at JJP. They work longer on their games. Stern can't compete with the effort of JJP not because they don't have smart and good people, but because they pump out the games so much faster.

For all the issues we had making Alien we did have one advantage: the long development time meant there was room to let the programmers think things through, for David Thiel to get the sound right, for us to talk and think thing through. It's not a perfect game, but everyone seems to agree the immersion and atmosphere is great. That came out of having the time to sweat the details. For all the things that could still improve, and whatever the future holds for the game now, the thing that makes it work is a team being given free rein to care.

For that price, what people will get with that Alien game, is amazing! Excellent points Aurich on why it’s so good now

Whether it’s BOM and/or time, give Elwin and team the time to throw in the kitchen sink.

Lyman ALWAYS makes the time to make a game great. He’s a no brainer buy for me

If the BOM or variable costs add up to an additional $1-2k per LE or CE, and you make your same profit margins, why not do it!

One time for a “wow it’s packed like a JJP game and FUN like a Stern game”.

I don’t think it’s too much to hope for!

#142 3 years ago

I agree with Aurich. I'm probably in the minority, but I honestly only like 3-4 games from Stern since LOTR. They all feel...samey, and cheap. It is something I noticed in 2003-4 when I basically walked away from buying anything new because nothing called to me and prices started going up. It wasn't until the TBL announcement that I started looking again. I've went back through the Stern catalog and little has changed on that front. Admittedly, I haven't played anything from 2020, and 2 games from 2019. I've said it before, it doesn't take that much game to throw quarters at it. It doesn't mean they are bad, but it's an entirely different state of mind and requirements to BUY a game vs. just playing one.

One would assume that with all the new companies out there pulling money, Stern would be putting their best foot forward, and maybe they have recently. I mean, I'm not sure you can compare LZ to others because that LZ license probably cost them a pretty penny, AND they are probably very limited in what resources they can actually use. Same with The Beatles pin, but in the end, that is all just a portion of the overall game. Time to make it good and refine it and let the ideas flow is crucial. It is pretty much the same equivalent to why many bands sophomore efforts are lackluster. They had their entire lives up to that point to fine tune their songs, and the 2nd album is rushed because 'contracts'.

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

ONE F ing game. To disregard the other 50% is just plain stupid as well
    Maybe Stern just can’t do it?

If you are not happy with Stern I suggest you step up and ask AP CGC JJP as Stern is going to disregard you. Second Gary cut the market into three segments the collectors not being even half the market try again

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The irony is back when Stern was putting out only 2 games a year people bitched that they only put out 2 games a year

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I agree with Aurich. I'm probably in the minority, but I honestly only like 3-4 games from Stern since LOTR. They all feel...samey, and cheap. It is something I noticed in 2003-4 when I basically walked away from buying anything new because nothing called to me and prices started going up. It wasn't until the TBL announcement that I started looking again. I've went back through the Stern catalog and little has changed on that front. Admittedly, I haven't played anything from 2020, and 2 games from 2019. I've said it before, it doesn't take that much game to throw quarters at it. It doesn't mean they are bad, but it's an entirely different state of mind and requirements to BUY a game vs. just playing one.
    One would assume that with all the new companies out there pulling money, Stern would be putting their best foot forward, and maybe they have recently. I mean, I'm not sure you can compare LZ to others because that LZ license probably cost them a pretty penny, AND they are probably very limited in what resources they can actually use. Same with The Beatles pin, but in the end, that is all just a portion of the overall game. Time to make it good and refine it and let the ideas flow is crucial. It is pretty much the same equivalent to why many bands sophomore efforts are lackluster. They had their entire lives up to that point to fine tune their songs, and the 2nd album is rushed because 'contracts'.

The prices started going up when the LE games came to play and the fripers showed what people would pay

#146 3 years ago

This is posted on the LZ vs G&R thread "How much more could it have cost JJP to have the full color hot rails on an SE? Same install etc..
    The bean counters at JJP cut maybe a $100 of Chinese made bulbs out of the machine.
    Just doesn’t make sense as they would sell more SE if they had them or maybe that was really the agenda, wow people with the light show to force them up to the LE." can anyone see the irony

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

This is posted on the LZ vs G&R thread "How much more could it have cost JJP to have the full color hot rails on an SE? Same install etc..
    The bean counters at JJP cut maybe a $100 of Chinese made bulbs out of the machine.
    Just doesn’t make sense as they would sell more SE if they had them or maybe that was really the agenda, wow people with the light show to force them up to the LE." can anyone see the irony

I wrote those comments and it’s true.

If your are going to go through the trouble of putting the hot rail in the se why not the real full color hot rail? It isn’t any more difficult and the lights are cheap as shit.

I for one prefer the play of the SE but the light show isn’t the same so I probably won’t buy it. I’d gladly pay the extra $100, Keith also said it isn’t strictly a programming issue either.

I give Stern some credit for making their new expression lighting available for the pro model and theirs is more difficult as they had to cut all the cabs.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

If your are going to go through the trouble of putting the hot rail in the se why not the real full color hot rail? It isn’t any more difficult and the lights are cheap as shit.

It’s an intentional differentiator - doubtful it is anything about costs.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

But honestly, how much does mechs cost? I would be seriously surprised if stern bom for a spinning pizza is more then 50$. Add five more items like that and your game should only go up a 500$ tops and people would call it woz-loaded.The reason thoose five mechs isn"t added, is simply laziness and they dont need to, cause the game sells anyway.

The market for Pros are primarily targeted at casual players on location who will literally not notice the difference. Most casuals are not even aware that pinball has rules much less if a game has a spinner instead of a ramp. However, the price difference will be critical to the person who owns the route and is trying to recoup their $6,000 investment on 50¢ a play with a 50% split with the location. With that math, it's 24,000 plays just to break even on the game.

Quoted from Psw757:

I hear these arguments a lot but I don't think people understand the true cost to bring a product to market. As an example, it costs just 16¢ in coffee to make a cappuccino. However, it retails for $3.65 at Starbucks because of the staff, management, administration, rent, insurance, and marketing. A wire form ramp may be under 10 bucks but any business is going to need to push you to the higher-margin products (Premium and LE) to increase revenue. 300 people are a lot of salaries and a lot of company benefits. Those people, as they stay longer at the company, will also expect raises. The costs add up quickly.

Imagine how much profit is in one NIB game. Now divide that number by 300 paychecks and 50% of the rent and that's how many games you have to sell to just stay afloat. You have to hit this number every two weeks without fail. Now imagine the cost of dragging a dozen games to a convention, putting up a handful of people in the hotel with per diem, and also covering the cost of the floor space which is over $20k. Now you have to sell even more games.

It's not about the cost of a certain part(s), it's about the whole enchilada.

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/direction-of-stern-2021/page/3?hl=aaron6920 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.