(Topic ID: 139560)

Direct LED Replacement for T12 Florescent Bulb (backbox)

By ForceFlow

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Warbound
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

454539_1.jpg

#1 3 years ago

In a FS thread, I noticed that someone had found a LED bulb to replace the 24" T12 florescent bulb in the backbox.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-gottlieb-genesis-for-sale-in-pittsburgh-pa

Gottlieb Genesis

Has anyone else used one of these?

The only source I turned up for these was on ebay:

ebay.com link

#2 3 years ago

Under $36 for 4 of them on Amazon.

amazon.com link »

#3 3 years ago

Is that a new ballast in the top right? I remember when looking for LED tubes for the garage that most aren't drop-in replacements.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Is that a new ballast in the top right? I remember when looking for LED tubes for the garage that most aren't drop-in replacements.

Looks like a different one than in my game--the original ballast was black. But it could've been replaced because it was bad--not necessarily because it doesn't work with the bulb. Although, that's a detail that would be good to know either way.

Once thing I did just notice was that the starter is absent.

#5 3 years ago

Keep in mind most of the Floro to LED adapters I have seen have you wire out the ballast and starter or use a separate power supply all together.

#6 3 years ago

there are some drop in led lamps that you can keep the ballast in place, I just replaced a bunch of 4' tubes in my workshop with drop in replacements, didn't have to modify the fixtures at all

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

there are some drop in led lamps that you can keep the ballast in place, I just replaced a bunch of 4' tubes in my workshop with drop in replacements, didn't have to modify the fixtures at all

Nice. Those bulbs must have extra built in circuitry to handle whatever the ballast/starter does. This stuff is pretty neat, saves energy too.

I am going to give it another year or so before i start swapping out my flouro tubes with LEDs. I figure things will become more standard, cheaper, and easier to implement. The light spectrum from florescent tubes is pretty harsh in most cases, I hope i like the type of light the led replacements emit.

Andrew

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Keep in mind most of the Floro to LED adapters I have seen have you wire out the ballast and starter or use a separate power supply all together.

Hmmm...from the ebay link:

This LED tubes designed to replace fluorescent T8 or T12 2 foot tube lights with some rewiring of your fixture. This bulb fits into a fluorescent light fixture with the G13 double pin ends. First you will need to disconnect the ballast. Next 1 or 2 pins at end of the LED needs to have an input power of 110-130 volts AC and at the other end 1 or 2 pins must to be connected to neutral for the light to turn on. IMPORTANT: Only one end of the tube can be connected power and the other end connected to neutral. You CANNOT connect + and - to the same end.

Quoted from barakandl:

The light spectrum from florescent tubes is pretty harsh in most cases, I hope i like the type of light the led replacements emit.

Yeah, I've always disliked florescent lights for that reason too.

I have a cool white florescent in my game now, which is ok, but I was thinking LEDs would look better, since the rest of the game is fully LEDed.

#9 3 years ago

I had done some research on the ones I linked at Amazon.

You basically sever the input wires to the ballast (120VAC) and wire them directly to ONE of the sockets. The other end socket basially becomes a 'holder' from the far end of the bulb. The bulbs take in 120VAC.

" the input voltage of led tube is 100-277 V, so you can connected directly to 120 VAC. This led tube lights shouldn't be connected with starter and ballast, after removing starter and ballast, connect the Live line and Neutral line into the same lamp holder of the bracket."

Ref:
http://www.lightingever.com/led-tube/
https://lightingever.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203452541-How-to-replace-a-fluorescent-tube-with-a-LED-Tube-

#10 3 years ago

Any perceived flickering with these LED replacement tubes? I wonder if they are doing any rectification or half on half off with the 120hz. My eyes do not like pinball games with flickery LEDs in them. The ones that flicker at 60hz specially bug me to the point I cant play long.

#11 3 years ago

I replaced the Stern FL with a LED from Suzo Happ. Drop in replacement just removed the ballast. I don't notice any flickering.

Details are here

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-replacement-tube-for-stern-backbox-fluorscent-tube

#12 3 years ago

Could you get those bulbs with color leds, i wouldnt mind trying purple in the backbox of my genesis.

#13 3 years ago

The Amazom bulbs I linked are 4 for $40 but you need to do some rewiring on the fixture to move 120VAC to one tombstone.
The Suzo Happ bulbs are 1 for $35 but you do not have to rewire your fixture.

Whatever your comfort level is.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Under $36 for 4 of them on Amazon.
amazon.com link »

Thanks for link. Gonna get it for my acdc. Says only uses 10 watts, I will assume that is much lower than the stock flourescent bulb! Win win situation!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
€ 8.40
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
€ 9.95
Playfield - Other
Multigame
Cabinet - Toppers
liorillusion
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 89.99
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 55.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside