IMG_9115 (resized).JPG
IMG_9114 (resized).JPG
IMG_9113 (resized).JPG
IMG_9109 (resized).JPG
IMG_9112 (resized).JPG
IMG_9111 (resized).JPG
IMG_9110 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Where are you seeing that?

The pops in Dipsy Doodle are 24VAC. If you put in a 50V coil (with more turns and thus more resistance), it will be even weaker.

I was able to get mine pretty strong by just replacing the fiber and metal plates and the sleeve, then adjusting the EOS to open as little as possible.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Williams did not switch to DC voltage on their jet bumpers and slings until around 1973, or so?

I think it may have been Spanish eyes in 72. Seems to be the switchover point for a lot of parts

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Another way to get more playfield power is to wire in a bridge rectifier on each pop bumper.

You're probably going to break the ball in half putting bridges on -550 coils...

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I just want these to get to the point where a player can skillfully nudge from the top center pop back to the saucer and get more action when the ball is inbetween all them.
Right now it’s very very hard to get any balls to bounce back up to the saucer.

What angle do you have yours at? After rebuilding mine on my Dipsy Doodle and Love Bug I am able to get it back in there, but it's still pretty hard. Which is probably good considering how valuable the saucer is, but it doesn't 'feel' as nice watching that ball arc half an inch short 10 times for every time it does get in.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure, but I don’t have it crazy steep or anything. If after this I don’t have the results I want, I’ll maybe make it a bit more shallow.

The other thing I did was play with where the hole kicks out. Made it fire right into the center pop so that I get the most upward action

#19 5 years ago

Wow. That IS set difficult, especially if you have skilled tournament players.
I also experienced the same effect with a Williams Swinger, but it was amplified on Doodle Bug and its relatives because the kick-out hole would also advance the 1 to 4 targets. If the ball stayed up top and dropped into the hole 4 or 5 times, the doodle would already be up to 100 pts and you wouldn't have to mess with the risky lower-playfield targets.

Dipsy Doodle only even goes up to 100 points

My best score on my Dipsy Doodle is only like 40k, average is 10-15k, which is weird, since on my Love Bug a bad game is 25k and I frequently roll it, even without ever getting to 1000 point doodles. All the other scoring is the same

#22 5 years ago

Good point Zacaj. My mind had totally forgot that Doodle Bug went up to 10,000 pts where its relatives did not; huge difference in potential scores there. Back off the PF inclination on Doodle Bug so that the ball stays up top and lazes around the kick-out hole, and you can achieve the higher (1000 and 10,000-pt) doodle values more often. The high score on my old Doodle Bug was well over 1M. Get the doodle up up to 10,000 and keep it going for awhile and the score skyrockets.
Chuckwurt, let the group know how the jet bumper optimization works out.

I think on my Dipsy Doodle and Love bug, with the rebuilt pops and the inline I have set up, you can usually get at least one extra hole after a successful plunge. Sometimes 2 extra. You rarely actually get the doodle value up from the plunge, always need at least some target shooting, which I think is pretty fair.

I've never gotten my Love Bug above 1000 point doodles, but even with that I quickly eclipsed the max score of 299,000. For all I know I had 400k or more, but no way to tell without someone else watching the reels. I wish it had the extra score reel like the protos did

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I thought that it was crazy to have only 5 digits in doodle bug when the bug points went to 10k a tick. Haha

I've been thinking about just wiring up a spare score reel and sticking it on top of the backbox or something...

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. That would be awesome.

I've heard of OPs in Europe doing this a lot, so it can't be that hard. They actually modded their backglass, but I don't mind just having a counter sitting somewhere.

Or maybe just get a giant gong that gets hit every time you roll it so you can count in your head

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

On each individual coil, solder & tape the input wires to the AC terminals, and solder the + and - terminals to the coil terminals
[quoted image]

I've used this type of bridge on a few games and the legs would snap off from vibration after a while

#31 5 years ago

The second way is correct. On mine the tab doesn't hit the bracket though. Is it possible your plungers are too short? Are they new? How long are they?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dipsy-doodle-pop-bumper-rebuild?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.