Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by zacaj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

What's the purpose of the diodes on Bally EM pop bumpers? I have an EM Bow and Arrow that at least one of the pop bumpers has a diode. I'm assuming that the others were either removed or fell off. Not quite understanding the reasoning behind it. They're not showing up in the schematic either.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from schudel5:

What's the purpose of the diodes on Bally EM pop bumpers? I have an EM Bow and Arrow that at least one of the pop bumpers has a diode. I'm assuming that the others were either removed or fell off. Not quite understanding the reasoning behind it. They're not showing up in the schematic either.

Someone might have replaced the coil at one time with a SS unit, no harm done.

#3 1 year ago

Does the EM Bow and Arrow use DC for bumpers? Then the diode is OK, if you connect the coil in right way. If bumpers are AC operated, then the diode will short every other half cycle and reduce strength until it eventually burns out.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Someone might have replaced the coil at one time with a SS unit, no harm done.

Makes sense. I'll look to see if it's been replaced.

Quoted from Tuukka:

Does the EM Bow and Arrow use DC for bumpers? Then the diode is OK, if you connect the coil in right way. If bumpers are AC operated, then the diode will short every other half cycle and reduce strength until it eventually burns out.

DC slings and pop bumpers only.

#5 1 year ago

Unrelated, but at what point did Bally change from 50VAC? William's changed from 24VAC to rectified DC far earlier than other manufacturers and going to 24VDC was easily done.

#6 1 year ago

No one seems to have a sure answer on the diodes, this question seems to come up every six months. Some games have them on the schematics, some don't. Some put them on some coils but not others. It might help protect the bridge rectifier, but the bride *is* some diodes so...

Three options:
- leave it as is
- make it match the schematic
- look up the schematics for the last ems bally made any make it match *that* schematic, since maybe they learned a thing or two through the years

Either way, the potential issues that having or not having them can cause are minor, I wouldn't worry about it too much

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diodes-on-bally-em-pop-bumpers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.