New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 129846)

Diode Question - Flight 2000

By SilverBallKid

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SilverBallKid
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF3111.JPG

#1 5 years ago

So I finally have my "new" F2K working correctly except for one issue. The lower left slingshot does not work. While inspecting it I found this diode on the switch stack. I thought it might be loose and not soldered completely. You can see it in this picture:

DSCF3111.JPG

Now, if I touch that diode even very slightly with my finger, it immediately causes the coil for the slingshot to fire. I found this out while checking to see if it was loose. For awhile, I left it alone and just played the game with the sling not working but then the coil started firing intermittently all by itself without a ball being anywhere near it. Don't want to screw anything up, so I'm hoping someone can give me guidance regarding this. Is it soldered incorrectly?

#2 5 years ago

If pushing on the diode is causing the solenoid to fire it would indicate the diode lead/solder blob is shorting to ground when you move it--rather than a bad solder job being specifically the problem. Since it is not a very good solder job, I would redo the connections and move the diode lead away from any metal.

In regards to the slingshot not working I would check the switch with a meter.

#3 5 years ago

Put a new diode on

#4 5 years ago

Yes, I have purchased a new diode for this switch. The old one has a very short lead on the side where it broke loose and I read the other night in an old Pinside post that diodes can easily be damages by heat. I figured it was the best thing to do in this case.

Waiting to swap out the diode until I solve the highly mysterious GI issue that developed after I replaced a few flush mount lamp sockets in my backbox. There are five that handle the lights for the Extra Ball, Tilt, Game Over, High Score To Date and Match words on the backglass. These bulbs were all out or very dim and I swapped out the old, beat up sockets on just these five lights. Now they all work great but the GI circuit blows its 20 amp fuse within 20-30 seconds of power up. The lower half of the backbox lights and the entire playfield GI are all fine at power up. The upper half of the backbox GI are all extremely dim. Then everything just goes dark and the fuse blows after about 30 seconds. I haven't had time to troubleshoot this yet but I am almost positive it has to be related to one of the 5 sockets I just swapped out. Of those five, three aren't even connected to the ground braid so my thought is that they are less likely to be the guilty ones.

Once I've got the GI back up and running (hopefully tonight or tomorrow night) I will finish addressing this diode. Fun fun fun...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside