Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cueball (resized).JPG
    gottliebsystem3rottendogdriverboard.pdf (PDF preview)
    bsoledraw3 (resized).jpg
    1N4002.pdf (PDF preview)
    #1 6 years ago

So I bought 2 a-16570 solenoids for my surfin safari bopper from karcade to replace a broken solenoid from the previous owner who wired the diode in backwards which blew the driver transistor. Well one of the two solenoids I put in blew my transistor on my driver board (I replaced the original bad transistor with a new one). I put the new solenoid in correctly. It worked for a little bit but then the solenoid started to hum and get hot. Well when I took out the solenoid and desoldered the the diode I noticed it had diode 1n4006 instead of a 1n4004. The other soleniod had the correct diode. Could this diode also cause it to blow the driver transistor?

#2 6 years ago

1n4001-4007 are just progressively higher rated versions. I use 1n4007s for everything without a problem

#3 6 years ago

1N4002.pdf1N4002.pdf

#4 6 years ago

A 1N4006 has higher ratings than a 1N4004.

#5 6 years ago

Just use 1N4007 for everything and you won't have any problems.

Many years ago there was a price difference but these days an 1N4001 costs the same as a 1N4007 so why bother with the lower rated parts?

#6 6 years ago

Other than a lighting strike, is it even possible to exceed what a 1N4004 is rated to handle?
    Considering that US games take 110v from a wall socket, even if something shorted, I can't think of a way for the voltage to get anywhere near 400v.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Other than a lighting strike, is it even possible to exceed what a 1N4004 is rated to handle?
    Considering that US games take 110v from a wall socket, even if something shorted, I can't think of a way for the voltage to get anywhere near 400v.

I changed out some of my 4004's for 4007's on my Joker Poker because I kept blowing mosfets on my NiWumph Driver board and we think it was from the coil field collapse, and the diode allowing some back EMF. So going higher might alleviate some of those issues.

#8 6 years ago

So my confusion is why I keep blowing my driver transistor. I have looked at the schematic and have the proper wires going to the right connections of the diode/solenoid. Could it be anything else causing my transistor to blow. I am going to swap wires on the solenoids and see what happens. It can't hurt I am already blowing the transistor right? The previous owner had but a rotten dog driver board in. Could they have changed what wire is supposed to go to what side of the solenoid?

#9 6 years ago

Check the resistance on the coil, if it got hot it may have shorted.

#10 6 years ago

I have done some more troubleshooting. I noticed the popper is stuck down after I start a new game. I went into the solenoid test and with one leg of the solenoid disconnected before I even activate the solenoid, it has 67VDC constant on the solenoid with a new IC and transistor that feeds those solenoid. I have made sure my switch for that popper isn't stuck on. This also doesn't have the original driver board it is a rottendog one if that makes a difference.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Inductive kickback from coils and relays is no joke and can easily hit the kilovolt (or tens of kilovolts) range. The diode starts to conduct as the power is cut to the coil, which clamps this down to some mere tens or hundreds of volts for you, and since there's so little current generated by the collapsing field it does just fine. If you ever make the mistake of touching a solenoid or relay when it's firing, even with a diode across it you do get a pretty noticeable kick out of it.

Mostly, though, pinball machines are moving slowly (by electronic standards), and the ramp up and down when a coil or solenoid fires is slow enough that it's easily kept within the 400V rating of the 1N4004. Can be exceeded, especially if a switch goes bad on you and the coil is machine gunning pretty fast. (The faster a coil is fired, especially repetitively, the more kickback you'll see.)

BTW, this is part of the reason for suppression capacitors on switches that tell the MPU to fire a coil. It protects the diode, which is protecting the driver transistor, which is protecting the buffer transistor (by handling current it cannot), which protects the PIA (ditto), which protects the MCU (and so on, and so forth.)

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Just use 1N4007 for everything and you won't have any problems.
    Many years ago there was a price difference but these days an 1N4001 costs the same as a 1N4007 so why bother with the lower rated parts?

He didn't buy either of the diodes, the first came with the game and the second one came with the replacement coil (like usual), I would easily assume - not his fault but rather the supplier or coil manufacturer

#13 6 years ago

Not being familiar with this particular game, it is typical to constantly have power to the coil during a game and testing. The driver works by connecting the other end to ground.

If the coil is locking on and its a new driver / burning through divers you should start looking upstream. My first pin many years ago (F14) had locked on and burnt drivers that were locked on by their upstream drivers (a smaller transistors that allowed the controller chip to double up the number of solonoids controlled) and ultimately the controller chip was toast.

It could also be that you have a trace shorted somewhere in that area that is holding the driver on.

Either way I would disconnect the coil completely and on the non-power side (this is the wire that goes to your driver) check for continuity to ground. If grounded check again at the driver to rule out a wiring short. If grounded its time to start checking upwards, and if the coil was locked on for any period of time its also probably a good idea to re-replace that driver while you're at it.

Oh, and I use 1N4004's for just about everything. I generally like the thought of a higher rated part is better but the 4's hold up perfectly fine for decades. I'm much more likely to kill a driver with a burnt coil or by doiing something stupid than I am by having a 4 open up on me.

#14 6 years ago

This is for the game Surf'n Safari that I am having a problem with. It had a plethora of problems that I am slowly trying to fix. The guy who owned this before should never be allowed to touch anything electronics or even swap batteries out of a tv remote (will upload pictures of what I am talking about later) . The major problem the game had when I got it was no sound and have ordered all three sound boards because he was soldering on all of them making his own half ass jumpers and horrible solders all over all three boards (so I don't trust anything on them or in the machine). One example is he had over fused multiple fuses (even had a 25A fuse in a 6 amp slot).

So what I have been trying to figure out is what he damaged on the brand new rottendog driver board when he wired the diode in backwards on the right bopper (because he also over fused that circuit when he started blowing its fuse). I talked with rottendog and they will go through the board for me they say for $25. So I think I am going to send to them.

Does anyone know if the controller board can cause the problem of having a constant 67V at the solenoid even when it isn't activated?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

He didn't buy either of the diodes, the first came with the game and the second one came with the replacement coil (like usual), I would easily assume - not his fault but rather the supplier or coil manufacturer

The solenoid that came with the game was a 1n4004 and wired in backwards. The two brand new solenoids I bought from Karcade came with a 1n4004 and the other came with a 1n4006

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from VonDoyle:

Does anyone know if the controller board can cause the problem of having a constant 67V at the solenoid even when it isn't activated?

Sorry I probably burried it in my last post. Yes, it is normal to have constant power to all coils (and flahers). The driver operates by completing the circuit to ground.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from VonDoyle:

Normal, this is how solenoids work in the pinball world. Transistor switches complete the ground path. Here's a simplified drawing.

More on Gottlieb repair http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

bsoledraw3 (resized).jpgbsoledraw3 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Sorry I probably burried it in my last post. Yes, it is normal to have constant power to all coils (and flahers). The driver operates by completing the circuit to ground.

So why when I test the other poppers they do not have a constant voltage across them until I initiate the popper in diagnostic mode? With my meter I have not voltage across them. When I put my meter on Peak Max and hold mode I then get about 40 Volts? Plus this popper when hooked up automatically pull the popper down and holds it.

#19 6 years ago

When you say "across them", do you mean each lead of your meter on each side of the coil (to each terminal)? Typically, coil supply voltage is measured meter on DC, and negative (black) lead to a suitable ground. Putting the red lead on either terminal of the coil should read the supply voltage. If you measure across, with a lead on both terminals simultaneously you will be measuring voltage drop. In this type of measurement, you'll only get a voltage reading when the coil is fired.

I was also trying to look at specifics relating to your game, but have not located a schematic online.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

When you say "across them", do you mean each lead of your meter on each side of the coil (to each terminal)? Typically, coil supply voltage is measured meter on DC, and negative (black) lead to a suitable ground. Putting the red lead on either terminal of the coil should read the supply voltage. If you measure across, with a lead on both terminals simultaneously you will be measuring voltage drop. In this type of measurement, you'll only get a voltage reading when the coil is fired.
    I was also trying to look at specifics relating to your game, but have not located a schematic online.

So what I did was basically disconnect the coil all together from the circuit and then go to that solenoid test and when I do there is 67vdc there.

When I go across one of the other solenoid poppers connected in the circuit there is no voltage. When I actuate that solenoid in the test diag i get for a split second 40 vdc. Hopefully I am making sense with that.

#21 6 years ago

I have uploaded the schematic for the Rottendog system 3 driver board.

gottliebsystem3rottendogdriverboard.pdfgottliebsystem3rottendogdriverboard.pdf

#22 6 years ago

Normally there is a computer chip in circuit before the transistor, it is possible for it to be blown as well. The Simpsons Pinballs are bad about blowing this chip with the transistor. Be sure and add a socket for the chip for easier changing in the future.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Majdi:

Inductive kickback from coils and relays is no joke and can easily hit the kilovolt (or tens of kilovolts) ... easily kept within the 400V rating of the 1N4004.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Quoted from VonDoyle:

The solenoid that came with the game was a 1n4004 and wired in backwards. The two brand new solenoids I bought from Karcade came with a 1n4004 and the other came with a 1n4006

When a coil's magnetic field collapses and the voltage is tens of kilovolts, and the PIV rating of a 1N4004 is 400V, then one would assume machines everywhere would be failing. The purpose of the diode is to conduct CURRENT in the FORWARD direction to shunt the spike to ground. The rating you are concerned with is not PIV (which is the reverse direction voltage rating)...the spec to look at is called non-repetitive peak forward surge current. This spec is max 30 amps for all 1N series diodes. A 1N4004 standard diode is plenty sufficient.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from VonDoyle:

So what I did was basically disconnect the coil all together from the circuit and then go to that solenoid test and when I do there is 67vdc there.
    When I go across one of the other solenoid poppers connected in the circuit there is no voltage. When I actuate that solenoid in the test diag i get for a split second 40 vdc. Hopefully I am making sense with that.

yeah, I still fuzzy on what you're doing here. But I'm not done helping yet. You provided a driver schematic, but we are talking about what you are measuring at the coils, so we should start there. I have a Cue Ball Wizard, which is also a Gottlieb System 3, so I can use those schematics as well to some degree, plus if I need to make measurements myself I would also be able to do that.

Can we find out by referring to solenoid numbers compared to the playboard schematic, and also where you are putting your test leads in these circuits. I just need to wrap my head around what you are getting and where.

cueball (resized).JPGcueball (resized).JPG

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

yeah, I still fuzzy on what you're doing here. But I'm not done helping yet. You provided a driver schematic, but we are talking about what you are measuring at the coils, so we should start there. I have a Cue Ball Wizard, which is also a Gottlieb System 3, so I can use those schematics as well to some degree, plus if I need to make measurements myself I would also be able to do that.
    Can we find out by referring to solenoid numbers compared to the playboard schematic, and also where you are putting your test leads in these circuits. I just need to wrap my head around what you are getting and where.</blockquote

So on a good solenoid (left pop bumper) I measured across the solenoid or across the diode. In test mode for the bumper there was 0 volts. When I hit the start button to actuate the solenoid I got a peak voltage of 40VDC for a second and then back to 0V.

On the right pop bumper that is giving me problems. I disconnected the 022 wire from the solenoid (I believe, I am at work and can't verify now) and then measured one lead on the disconnected 022 wire and then the other lead on the anode side of the solenoid or 211. Before I even hit the start button in that bumpers test mode I had 67VDC.

Does that help?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from VonDoyle:

So on a good solenoid (left pop bumper) I measured across the solenoid or across the diode. In test mode for the bumper there was 0 volts. When I hit the start button to actuate the solenoid I got a peak voltage of 40VDC for a second and then back to 0V.

OK...what you are seeing is correct operation (and you said this is the good one) So what your measurements mean: when measuring across diode/solenoid you will see 0 volts. This is because there is no current flowing, resulting in no voltage drop. When you actuate the solenoid, you are seeing a peak voltage for a second caused by the rush of current across the resistance of the coil. If you were to measure it with your negative probe on ground and the positive probe on either tab of the coil, you would see the coil supply voltage when the the coil is static, and then a brief drop to near zero volts as the coil fires (almost exactly the opposite of what you see when measuring across.

Quoted from VonDoyle:

On the right pop bumper that is giving me problems. I disconnected the 022 wire from the solenoid (I believe, I am at work and can't verify now) and then measured one lead on the disconnected 022 wire and then the other lead on the anode side of the solenoid or 211. Before I even hit the start button in that bumpers test mode I had 67VDC.

Now in this situation, disconnecting a wire from the solenoid, you are measuring only the supply voltage. It doesn't matter if you actuate the coil or not...you've disconnected a path for the current to flow. So the only thing you have learned here is there is supply voltage present at the coil. Now you would need to reconnect the coil wire you disconnected. Then at this point, with the coil wires reconnected and supply voltage is present, you should be able to confirm that the coil fires by briefly grounding the anode side of the coil diode. From there, you would need to troubleshoot at the driver board to find out why the transistor "switch" is not completing the circuit.

#27 6 years ago

Well i think the issue stated was that the coil is locking on, so the thing to measure is continuity to ground from the other wire (non power supply wire) with ground. While the coil is disconnected is ideal since its already disconnected anyway as it removes the coil and the power circuit from the equation.

Anyway, connect one lead to your ground strap and the other lead to the non powered coil wire (this is the wire that actually drives the coil by connecting to ground at the driver transistor).

Heres how to read the result:
    - If grounded with game on but not grounded with game off: your transistors control circuit (upstream from the transistor) is bad and holding the transistor on.
    - If always grounded: your transistor is likely fried but could be a short in wiring as well. You will need to locate the transistor in question and test there to eliminate wiring as an issue. Note that the transistors control circuit could also be bad as well but that fault through this test method is masked by the fried transistor. Replace transistor and retest before connecting to a coil again.

You can also test the transistor itself directly using info in the link to pinrepair that was given above.... But I tend to go this route as it also tests the wiring.

Finally, make sure when re-connecting the coil you connect the power wire to whatever side of the coil is oriented properly with the diode. Look at your good coils for reference. Backwards wiring here, even if everything on the board is fixed will immediately undo all of your board repairs the very first time the coil fires.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Can we find out by referring to solenoid numbers compared to the playboard schematic, and also where you are putting your test leads in these circuits. I just need to wrap my head around what you are getting and where.

wayout440 could you tell me what way your solenoid is orientated for your three poppers since it sounds like we have the same setup. I also don't trust if the last guy put them back the direction they go. Or does that matter what direction the solenoids are put in?

My left and right popper has the contacts/diode end of the solenoid closest to the playfield, while the bottom popper has the contacts/diode furthest away from the playfield.

#29 6 years ago

Orientation doesn't matter for operation as its basically just an electromagnet and will draw in the steel plunger regardless.

However, it is recommended that the end of the coil with the lugs be oriented away from the coil stop. This is because vibration from the plunger hitting the stop is strongest there and can over time break things loose.

So your pop bumper coils with the lugs closest to the playfield are optimally positioned, but both work.

#30 6 years ago

+1 what merccat said

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diode-1n4004-vs-1n4006?hl=mikewalsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.