Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by fnosm
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

To start with I understand that a diode allows for a one way flow of electricity once a minimum amount of voltage is applied.

On my WOZ the diode on the "Winged" target switch broke. I mean literally the lead broke off so I replaced the diode.
When I was doing this I was surprised to see 3 separate tabs on the switch. I am used to only having two tabs on a switch that are connected, not three. In this case there is a tab that is only connected to a wire, a tab that is only connected to the cathode end of the diode and a tab that is connected to both a wire and the anode side of the diode(I'm guessing this is the negative or ground side.) My first question is: How does this switch work? And what is the benefit of this design over the standard two tab switch?

And now I am curious to understand how the diode is used in this instance. I understand how diodes are used on coils to protect the high power transistor but scratching my head on how it is used in this switch. The diode I needed to replace is a 1N4004 (400V 1A.) My local electronics store had their diodes labeled with NTE #'s. The chart said I could use a NTE116 for a 1N4004. However the NTE116 is a 600V rated diode and the 1N4004 is a 400V rated diode. My second question is: Won't the 200V difference (600-400) between the two have an effect on the operation of the switch? Or would any 1A diode work in this case as long as it is rated at or above 400V?

#2 7 years ago

The third lug is just there as a soldering point for the wire and diode. It serves no purpose in regards to the switch function.

It serves as a blocking diode for the switch matrix (not that familiar with WOZ, but the theory is the same). If it weren't there then when two switches are closed at the same time the signal from one column would feed back into the other column and cause random switch problems. If you really want to understand what is going on with the switch matrix see the following article:

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

#3 7 years ago

You can use a 1N4001 - 1N4007 for pinball switch needs. The voltage is the max voltage rating.

http://www.vishay.com/docs/88503/1n4001.pdf

Broken or failed diodes are a regular thing. If you have more than one or two machines you are maintaining, buy them by the 100. Great Plains sells 1n4004 20 for $1. They are about the same price from Mouser.

The diode is there to isolate the switch in the closed position for a functional switch matrix.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

That page does a good job of explaining things in detail.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 24.50
$ 5.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diode-101-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.