Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by IceHill
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I tried to post some info when joining, but not too computer savvy, sorry.
Been playing pinball machines off/on for many years, but not a guru like some of ya'll seem to be !! Enjoy playing. Bride caught the fever a few weeks ago and so we bought our 1st Pin.
Not know much about them, we just played a few at the store and bought one we thought was fun, it's a Sega Twister. Later I learn that Sega has a relatively "bad" name?
What are the issues? Can't seem to find too much info on Twister (a couple of websites have ratings, but of course some rate good, others rate bad (as in everything,... that's life).
Anyone have one of these, or have positive/negative comments. It's being delivered today 11/11/09, and am anxious to know what I should be looking for before the installer leaves. Many thanks for any comments and looks like an active forum here...

#2 14 years ago

Hello!

I cannot say much to Sega as I have never owned one yet I do have a Data East's though and LOVE it! I am sure that you will enjoy the Twister!

However, I really just wanted to welcome you to both the forum and the joy of the pin.!

Always...

#3 14 years ago

Thanks for the welcome. As with motorcyces, it's hard to just buy 1 but this is a start for bride and me.
As I think I've learned, Sega's pinball opertion was sold to ???? was it Data East?

#4 14 years ago

Welcome aboard ,
I wouldn't read into all the hype on line with one MFG vs another,
rather judge one game on how you like it or not.
I bought a Playmatic Pin (Spain ) and although it has a low book value
I think its a very fine pin. non the less

#5 14 years ago

Hello!

It is my understanding that Data East was bought by Sega and then Sega was sold to Stern, which is the only remaining pinball manufacturer in the world.

I agree with Autumnfade, though, about peoples preferences for manufacturers. Many people love Williams/Bally and do not like Data East, yet I have had less trouble with my Data East than either of my Williams. And, quite, I have also enjoyed the play of my Data East very much. If you like a pin. and try to keep in maintained, you will probably be okay.

Heck, I just bought my "last" pin., a Back to the Future (BTTF), which is another Data East. From what I have understood, some would probably not agree with my buying the BTTF due to both the title itself and the fact that it is not a Williams. No matter, as I went after the pin. I wanted.

Enjoy the game!!!

#6 14 years ago

Welcome !

Any game that you find alot of fun is a great pinball. Don't let the comments about this or that maker bias you against one vs. the other. One of my favorite machines to play is an old beat up 1978 Williams Phoenix. I find myself on it more than all my others.

It starts with one machine , then two , then ...........

Play the game before the installer leaves. Makes sure to check everything. It should be balanced side to side and have a slope of 6 to 7 1/2 degrees from back to front depending on how you prefer it. If you are not familiar with how it comes apart/opens up have them run you through it once.

Lucky you having a partner who shares your passion for pinball.

#7 14 years ago

Happy to see the forum account is working for you now!

Bad pin? No such thing. If it has a ball and flippers then you're in business. Sega Twister is a solid pin and great fun! I played one recently and kept on starting new games - it's got some great shots and nice rules. You'll definately enjoy it.

Like the others above say: don't pay too much attention to the Bally/Williams vs Stern vs Sega vs Data East debates on the internet. All pins are different and should be judged per game and not by the manufacturer.

Anyway, welcome to the Pinside! And.. do let us know how you are enjoying Twister once it arrives!

#8 14 years ago

Data-East,Sega,Stern all the same.Ive never played Twister but almost bought one once because I liked the movie.My first pin was a Stern Monopoly which many ripped on but I loved it,you be the judge.You could always drop 4K or more a pin and get the games everybody loves.

#9 14 years ago

Got the pin delivered yesterday and having fun. Darned this is missing one part however, the topper fan.... have searched the internet and they are hard to find. Found a website that has them in their catalog, but out of stock. I'm on the waiting list. Other than that and a little glitch (dealer will look into/fix.... push the start button and sometimes I get multiple players, not a big deal because I'm practicing anyway, but do want it fixed)... again, having fun.

#10 14 years ago

Welcome Gunney8. I'm new to this site myself as of about 5 months ago. I'm a noob also, but I've been learning new stuff everyday it seems. Everyone on here that I've talked to is super nice and very helpful if you need a question answered.

#11 14 years ago

My Data East game has a standard 120mm x 25mm 12V computer fan as the topper fan.

#12 14 years ago

Plugger, what game do you have? I've learned that there is another game similar to Twister... can't remember the name right now off the top of my head... that also has a topper fan (for effect of a storm).. maybe that would fit??

#13 14 years ago

Perhaps I've misunderstood -- I was referring to the fan insde the backbox that keeps the inside of the backbox cool. My DE is game is Star Trek 25th Anniversary. I have just replaced my fan because the old one was getting noisy.

#14 14 years ago

The game you are thinking of with the topper fan (besides twister) is a williams whirlwind, I doubt the two are interchangeable being from diffrent makers. Just find yourself a list of good parts sites, and email them all asking for what you are seeking and when they find one they will contact you. Also check your pinside page for your game, and it will list any auctions on ebay for it. I am sure one will pop up sooner or later.

**EDIT**

I found this,
http://www.marcospecialties.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=545-5706-01

looks like just the housing but its a start.

#15 14 years ago

Go here:

www.jameco.com

and do a search using the word FAN.

I'm sure they have one that will fit right in.

#16 14 years ago

Malador, you're right. Whirlwind was the one I was thinking about. I'm wondering if that topper will fit on Twister but I can't find the specs on Whirlwind. Seems to me if it's a standard 12v... whatever... it would work, just look funny.
I did find, and bookmarked the link you provided and am on the "waiting list" for the fan assembly.
Brokedad (I like your moniker... I'm no longer broke, "the girls have left the house!!)..
Thanks for the link, but I gotta find the specs and maybe I can "build" the fan assembly with the housing from macrospecialities. We'll see.. again, thanks guys for the info and hints.
Getting the manual tomorrow from dealer, he said he "likes to keep them for servicing" but I advised him, I paid for it, I'll take really good care of it. lol... maybe fan specs are in there.

#17 14 years ago

Judging by this picture

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=3976&picno=8117

You can probably make a new fan just using that housing I linked, Just take it and a proper size cpu fan and some mesh. I imagine the hardest part would be the decals, but I think with the housing you should be able to make due with off the shelf parts for the rest.

good luck

#18 14 years ago

Also, many manuals are available for download for free, so that may an option for you if the dealer wants an exhorbitant amount (more than ~$20) for the printed manual.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dinosour-newbie-to-the-pinball-world and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.