• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Ok,

I have an odd issue that I was not able to resolve today so I figured it best to search for some advice here.

The lower eject hole coil on my Diner would fire and stay locked on during boot. I removed the F2A fuse from the auxiliary power driver board and booted the game and the coil doesn't fire. The weird part is that I then turned the power off and put the fuse back and booted the game and a bunch of coils fired as well as the lower eject hole and the game played. I thought i had accidentally solved this but then I powered off and back on and the coil fired and stayed locked on. My assumption is that the transistor that signals this coil to fire is fine because it worked once the fuse was placed back in but I am not sure. I changed the coil figuring it might be bad and this did not resolve it. The auxiliary power driver board appears to be in perfect shape but the part number shows it is out of an Earthshaker I am unsure if it is compatible. Is it possible that the board from the Earthshaker will not work with the Diner model? I am going to look into this more tomorrow any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

If a coil locks on, it's usually one of two things: Either the coil driving transistor is sorted, or a signal from elsewhere is telling the transistor for that coil to turn on. If the transistor is shorted it is acting as a "wire" or a closed switch, thereby completing the circuit. Easily tested by checking transistor output to ground twith a DMM to see if there is a direct short. If the transistor checks good, then suspect a problem further upstream. According to the Diner manual solenoid table, lower left eject hole is Q22 on your CPU board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-solenoid-locks-on-boot-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.