Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinster68
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 103 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

diner_(resized).jpg
Babs_(resized).jpg
100_(resized).jpg
99.00_(resized).jpg
96.00_(resized).jpg
92.00_(resized).jpg
91.50_(resized).jpg
91.25_(resized).jpg
91.00_(resized).jpg
90.00_(resized).jpg
89.00_(resized).jpg
87.00_(resized).jpg
86.00_(resized).jpg
85.00_(resized).jpg
84.00_(resized).jpg
83.00_(resized).jpg

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

What on earth could someone have to say about this that is anything but positive?

Some people, like myself, feel that clearcoating and polishing the back of the game is taking things to an absurd level.

My *personal* opinion is that this game is way, way over the top with the chrome everything and polished clearcoat cabinet and that it kind of defeats the spirit of the game by transforming a functional commercial machine into a display object that many would be hesitant to even play. Sort of the pinball equivalent of a "trailer queen," a show car that is only rolled on and off a trailer at car shows and is never actually driven. I prefer HEP restorations that bring games back to new as though they were coming fresh out of a box, but don't go overboard into clown puke LEDs, light-up everything, playfields full of plastic toys and crazy toppers.

Normally I wouldn't say so in a thread like this in the spirit of keeping needless negativity down, but since you asked I thought I would answer.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

machine into a display object that many would be hesitant to even play.

I think you will find that many of us play the living crap out of the games no matter what they look like. My dad took his over the top Taxi to TPF for everybody to enjoy there. No big deal. It got close to 1000 plays on it over the weekend and honestly you can't tell at all. The clearcoat is good for something I guess I have no problem with people not liking restorations and such, but to act the way some have about it is laughable. It is the same with restoring cars or something. Some are over the top, some are original or whatever.

#53 4 years ago

The time / effort / execution of this restore is outstanding.

#54 4 years ago

Love a restore thread that is one post showing start to finish! Nicest Diner of the planet no doubt, great work sir!

#55 4 years ago

Fantastic Job !!
Lots of quality time spend at the Diner

Q: captain Neo worked on the playfield , I noticed different color of the faces , what was done there?

#56 4 years ago

fantastic work

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I think you will find that many of us play the living crap out of the games no matter what they look like. My dad took his over the top Taxi to TPF for everybody to enjoy there.

Played several games on this one with my buddy. A gorgeous example and much appreciated!

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Some people, like myself, feel that clearcoating and polishing the back of the game is taking things to an absurd level.
My *personal* opinion is that this game is way, way over the top with the chrome everything and polished clearcoat cabinet and that it kind of defeats the spirit of the game by transforming a functional commercial machine into a display object that many would be hesitant to even play. Sort of the pinball equivalent of a "trailer queen," a show car that is only rolled on and off a trailer at car shows and is never actually driven. I prefer HEP restorations that bring games back to new as though they were coming fresh out of a box, but don't go overboard into clown puke LEDs, light-up everything, playfields full of plastic toys and crazy toppers.
Normally I wouldn't say so in a thread like this in the spirit of keeping needless negativity down, but since you asked I thought I would answer.

Considering that a car sitting out unloved for 15 years can still be shined up to look pretty good, I'd say that those who CC everything are ahead of the game when it comes to having their games beaten on. Keep plastics available and these games will probably look good forever in a home environment.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Eh.
Pinball is different for everyone. Some want crazy restorations, some want to keep the "spirit of the game" intact, etc.

However, I respect your opinion and other's should as well.

Personally I think this thing is gorgeous, sans the chrome. Never liked chrome anything. Now brushed nickel, I would do.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Q: captain Neo worked on the playfield , I noticed different color of the faces , what was done there?

Babs_(resized).jpg
Nice catch, Yes...Decals were used and the colors are somewhat off with the original faces, just a little washed out when lit. I had them shipped directly to Neo and he let me know the quality wasn't the best. Couldn't find any better decals available and Babs really needed the help.

#61 4 years ago

Pins restored or built like this are fantastic especially for the individual that wants his favorite pin from back in the day and is going to pit it in a super hip loft or something....it's truly like a piece of art ..that you can play...

So what's a restoration like this retail for?

#62 4 years ago

Wow!!! Very good very beatifull!!!

2 months later
#63 3 years ago

Amazing work!

#64 3 years ago

Just picked up a diner a few weeks ago.
Wow. What inspiration this thread gives.
And where did you find a new clear coffee cup plastic??????

#65 3 years ago

Very nice sir! I do not dig the chromed door though. Inside cabinet is impressive. Well done.

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

And where did you find a new clear coffee cup plastic??????

Got it from Planetary, the last one they had...I remember hearing they are making more.

Quoted from Plumonium:

Very nice sir! I do not dig the chromed door though. Inside cabinet is impressive. Well done.

Thanks, some people feel that same way about the coin door (and backbox hinges too)...but it really looks good with the glossy clear and completes the package. If any theme deserved total chrome work, it's a 50's Diner title.

For the folks that didn't like this restore, they are going to hate the one I have in progress now

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Got it from Planetary, the last one they had...I remember hearing they are making more.

Thanks, some people feel that same way about the coin door (and backbox hinges too)...but it really looks good with the glossy clear and completes the package. If any theme deserved total chrome work, it's a 50's Diner title.
For the folks that didn't like this restore, they are going to hate the one I have in progress now

If they are making more coffee cups that would be awesome.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I gotta be honest, but I think you're wrong. If you have ever been in a restored 50's diner (or seen pics) everything was polished stainless or chrome and lots of glass and/or mirrors. I think the chrome is very much in the spirit of a 50's diner. Even the reflective clear gives it that sort of "pop" that you would see in a classic diner (c'mon...they even used quilted, polished stainless in alot of their backsplashes).

Do I think polishing the back of a game is a bit over the top. Yes. But only because the effort is for something that isn't seen, so the gratification isn't obvious.

As the owner of "Pinball Art Prints", your criticisms are a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. You don't like the "trailer queen" restorations, but you sell prints of artistic interpretations of pinball. Frankly, I fail to see what productive result your commentary leads to other than waving some arbitrary flag that says your opinion is meaningful in this thread.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Outstanding job all around. Please document the one you have in progress if you can.

#70 3 years ago

Amazing work on the restore! Nice work on the silk screening including the lower patent numbers.

Don't mean to derail your thread but I was watching a past episode of Marvel's Agents of Shield - season 3 ep. 19. About 13 mins in, during the bar scene, I couldn't help but notice Diner in the back. Anyone else notice it?

Daisy was also playing on a machine with a rocket on the backglass. Not sure the title on that one though.

diner_(resized).jpg

#71 3 years ago

Wow, really nice job.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

As the owner of "Pinball Art Prints", your criticisms are a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. You don't like the "trailer queen" restorations, but you sell prints of artistic interpretations of pinball.

But posters are meant to be art objects. Your argument doesn't make any sense, posters aren't pinball games.

Frankly, I fail to see what productive result your commentary leads to other than waving some arbitrary flag that says your opinion is meaningful in this thread.

Like I said in the post, the only reason I commented was to answer the question. Otherwise I would have just looked, rolled my eyes and moved on.

2 weeks later
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I would have just looked, rolled my eyes and moved on.

Yeah, you should have stuck with that.

#74 3 years ago

I dig the clear coat mirror blades concept. I love your over the top approach to customizing this machine.

#75 3 years ago

My grandma used to always say if you don't have anything nice to say then shut your trap. Gob bless her soul
I'm not a chrome guy by any means but I think it ties in well with theme of the pin. Nicely done sir.

#76 3 years ago

That game is gorgeous ! What's with the negativity?
I don't like chrome ? No leds, stay stock , needs to be original, That's great if it's a original huo pinball or survivor. You gotta appreciate the work that makes that diner stunning ! PM me if shes ever for sale

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

Yeah, you should have stuck with that.

Thanks for coming in a month later to make a useless comment. At least I answered a question.

1 month later
#78 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Thanks for coming in a month later to make a useless comment. At least I answered a question.

Bitch bitch bitch. Man, you must be a hoot at parties.

#79 3 years ago

I think the OP did a fantastic job! I love to see pins brought back to life. Great work!

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Bitch bitch bitch. Man, you must be a hoot at parties.

Another month later response? Are you going through old posts to find shit to bitch about? Who's worse?

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Another month later response? Are you going through old posts to find shit to bitch about? Who's worse?

I have a Diner and admire the OP's work there Nancy. Quit your childish crying already.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I have a Diner and admire the OP's work there Nancy. Quit your childish crying already.

Why bring back a dead thread to call someone out, unless you're the one being childish? An adult would let it go.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Why bring back a dead thread to call someone out, unless you're the one being childish? An adult would let it go.

And yet you persist. Feel free to IM me if you want to continue this. The OP did a great job on this Diner, and it's why I come back. Do I need to explain it again to you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside