2A670BBC-72B9-4F28-AB97-082F99C82FCE (resized).jpeg
97E0AD6E-AD59-4512-B949-BA58EA46565A (resized).jpeg
C654F759-43B0-4A9C-A646-F1C4D8A7D7E4 (resized).jpeg
20200714_122256 (resized).jpg
20200714_122258 (resized).jpg
20200714_123013 (resized).jpg
09A0FB10-F02F-45AD-9574-A340B0ACEAB9 (resized).jpeg
A51C9999-E263-4F65-B47A-109830E2115F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 4 years ago

Looks great!

Are you putting in LEDs?

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Thanks!! I’m old school, I’m gonna stick with incandescent bulbs for this guy.

I had incandescent #47's in after my last big Diner shop job.

I put in new plastic set and the bulbs warped my new plastics.

I have since put in all sunlight color 2smd frosted from comet and replaced the plastics again.
The 2smd frosted bulbs have the same bright white as a #44.

The game looks amazing and.....no heat to kill my plastics.

So, be careful about those old school #44 or #47 bulbs, they are really hot!

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Just another quick update. I pretty much designated a night to each of these sections, which I don't mind doing, because what else are we all going to do at this time? Each part took at least an hour and a half to finish. I started with 3M scratch pads and brasso to remove the crud, and step sanded the metal with 220 grit to 330 grit sandpaper to help remove any pitting, went back to the brasso and scratch pad, and finished by throwing each part in the tumbler over night.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work!

2 weeks later
#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Thanks again for the support all! I've really been on a roll with this thing, so please excuse the 10 thousand updates.
I love that there is always a ton of new stuff to learn with each restore, and one of the things I've never had to do up to this point is to create new ramp flaps. Anything that I hadn't done before is always a bit intimidating, but I'm happy to report that I think I came out ok. Thanks to Freeplay40 for all of the great tips.
My process was to scan what I had of the ramp flaps, and create a vector image in Inkscape, import them into my Silhouette vinyl cutter, and printed a template that I stuck on the material. I used tin snips to cut around the vinyl, a hole punch to create the holes, and used a sander to smooth the edges out.
I didn't have anything except the corner of the bottom of the cash register flap, so I really didn't have a reference to go by. I pretty much eyeballed what was out there, and just created a shape that seems to be about right.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Really nice!

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Since the cash register and ramp were in the area that had the most moisture damage, this was the most challenging part of the Playfield as a whole. The cash box itself had some rust and pitting, so I had to completely sand and repaint. I was lucky enough a while ago to grab a set of decals from a guy in pinside, so I was able to just replace each of them. Next up is probably populating the rest of the plastics on the Playfield before putting the new ramps together.[quoted image]

the game is coming together beautifully!

I hope mine comes out that well.

Im using comet frosted sunlight 2smd LEDs pretty much exclusively, as well as 5smd (#906) and 8smd (#89) flashers.

It looks crisp and bright, very similar to the original #44 bulbs when it was new.

Large inserts I use the dual flex head cool white.

Im using 4smd cool white on the DINER inserts but that might change with the new CPR playfield.

I dont color wash or color match inserts any more unless the game needs a spot of color here and there.
Color matching causes the playfield artwork to take on a brownish haze in most cases from too much color blending.

Im also using a LEDOCD board to control ghosting and flash fade rates. Its really worth it.

3 weeks later
#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Here's a few pics with the Apron. You can see some of the rust creeping through near the cards and in the front. I am most likely going to redo it.
[quoted image][quoted image]

PPS has a decal set for the apron that might save some time and effort:

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1008-571-4&Category_Code=DCA

also maybe get a shopout decal set from pinsider @athens95, they are really nice.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Forgot to mention that the playfield is resting in the old cabinet with a tarp over it - so that I don't accidentally trip over it as I'm working on the new cabinet.

www.treasurecovepinball.com also has apron decals if you want to save on shipping

1 week later
#114 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Really quick update .. I got the powder coated wire ramp back today and I personally am a big fan.
[quoted image]

Yellow looks great!

I also like the red ones.

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Finished (although I realize I missed a red spot on the left side, which I will add). Next stop is to have it cleared
[quoted image]

Spraymax 2k glamour coat.

Easy to apply and very forgiving.

Mist coat then medium coat then finish coat.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

I love the video in that thread (and .gif at some point) of that guys just dousing something with a can of it without a mask. Definitely a Great product If safely used

Yeah, a full mask from harbor freight will protect you..

And a tyvek suit from lowes.

These are inexpensive items.

1 week later
#130 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

The apron is cleared and good to go. Still working on the cabinet, and will add some pics as they come.
[quoted image]

Came out really nice!

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Much appreciated. I'm definitely happy with it!

Are you cutting stencils for the cab?

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Yikes, I hadn't even considered that ... I have the vinyl sideart on hand already, but now I am wondering if I should try it. My vinyl cutter only does 1 foot wide, but I do have a buddy with a 3 foot cutter. I may just stick with vinyl sideart, but now I'm thinking about how that would work.

Its a painted cab.

You did a great job on the apron, the cab should be a breeze

1 week later
#136 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

I’m about one quick final sanding away from being done with the bondo and primer phase. I ended up just taking the backbox bottom off, and replacing the back since it was in such bad shape.
Even with the repro bottom part of the cabinet, it still had its fun surprises - like a gigantic hole in the plywood, etc. Among many other things.
I realized too late that I hadn’t taken any good pics of the backbox before restoring it. You can kind of see the top of it in the third pic. The 4th pic gives an idea of how bad the inside of the backbox was. I had to use a chisel to break a few bolts off, because they were rusted so badly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Its gonna be AWESOME!

1 month later
#152 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Finally back to this thing. Applied the side art, and in the process of repopulating the backbox. Somehow, I held onto every part over the last several years, except now I can’t find the vent grill for the backbox. Thankfully pps sells them, so one is on the way. Still have to get the backbox warning text on it, but getting closer. I’d love to have this thing on the cabinet in the next few days.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you get the cpr backglass?

I have it and its gorgeous.!

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

I did grab one actually. I also have one for my tz as well and I absolutely love it. Can’t wait to get to the point where I can install it!

I put dome colored lights under it.

Red for the clock.
Blue for the moon and diner lights.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Cool! Would u mind posting a pic?

Ill do it monday, the game is at my work lol.

#159 3 years ago

Heres what LEDs i put in the backbox.

Blue, red, warm white and cool white.

Plus some amber #47's for the diner lights.

I think it looks great on my cpr glass

20200714_122258 (resized).jpg20200714_122258 (resized).jpg20200714_123013 (resized).jpg20200714_123013 (resized).jpg20200714_122256 (resized).jpg20200714_122256 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-restoration-1?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.