(Topic ID: 256594)

Diner Display is dark After Restore

By Tom65

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12v.jpg
    CFC63DB4-7816-4F7F-9B9E-65401CDF024D (resized).jpeg
    road kings pinball mpu (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hallo im Tom and new Here. I have a Diner pin i Restore now.
    Today i Finishing the backbox and wanted to do a Lampe Test, the Lampe go but the Display is dark
    What Could be the error? ( the playfield is nötig install now)

Thx for your Answer Tom

#2 4 years ago

Make sure you have the proper display voltages of +100 and -100 VDC.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 4 years ago

If you have the voltages, then you likely have the display ribbon cable oriented wrong on one end. With power off, flip the ribbon cable around at the CPU board so the red wire is on the other side of the connector.
    road kings pinball mpu (resized).jpgroad kings pinball mpu (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

Thx for your Answer,
    At which Location can i measure the Display Voltaires +100 and -100 vdc

Thx

#5 4 years ago

i check the proper display voltages of +100 and -100 VDC the are ok
    and the display ribbon cable i turn

but the Display is dark mmmmmmmm.

can i check other things?

thx for your answer

#6 4 years ago

How about showing some pictures

#7 4 years ago

Is this an original plasma display or an LED replacement?

#8 4 years ago

Its a original plasma display

#9 4 years ago

is the 5v ok?

have you got a oscilloscope or logic probe to check dsta is ok?

#10 4 years ago

Where is the v5 so ican check this

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

How about showing some pictures

Also, is the game even going in attract mode and can start a game?

#12 4 years ago

Is this plug on the right position?

CFC63DB4-7816-4F7F-9B9E-65401CDF024D (resized).jpegCFC63DB4-7816-4F7F-9B9E-65401CDF024D (resized).jpeg
    #13 4 years ago

The playfield is not install now

#14 4 years ago

J7 pin6 should be 5v on the alphanumeric board.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tom65:

Its a original plasma display

I can't speak for a System 11, but when I started working on my Night Moves (System 80b) the AN display was extremely dim. This fixed itself overtime as the game was turned on, FWIW.

#16 4 years ago

Hi russdx

I have 5 volt on j7 pin 6 , but the display are dark mmm
    The pin dosent boot up

#17 4 years ago

MPU has to boot in order for the display to work. Any of the red LEDs lit on the MPU?

#18 4 years ago

Only the +5 vdc and the blanking lit put only a sec after this sec the are not lit up

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tom65:

Is this plug on the right position?

No

It should be on J2.
    The Connector on J15 received 12V with reversed polarity. Don't know if it blew something.

#20 4 years ago

Ohh thx i chance it on the right place, but the display are dark, i think someting hase passed, put what?

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

The Connector on J15 received 12V with reversed polarity. Don't know if it blew something.

If I read the schematic it looks like it's ok. 2J2, 2J15 and 2J16 are all connected and as long as the power source (from 3J3) is not connected it won't matter. The Diner manual shows that all three of these connectors are used.

12v.jpg12v.jpg
    #22 4 years ago

Ah so does the game boot (ie hear the dings / attract mode lamps etc..) but no display? OR the game just does not boot at all? You just have GI lighting etc...?

#23 4 years ago

The J3 is connected, i think something hast gone up in smoke, but what?
    Sorry for my englisch im from switzerland

#24 4 years ago

But i See J16 ar not connected now, ohhh i Unterstand now J16 Must be olso connected Then it Works
    Is this right?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

If I read the schematic it looks like it's ok.

J2 is 180º rotated relative to J15 and J16.
    Seen by the silkscreen, +12V should be left and GND on the right side. This means that the connector on J16 (in the picture post#12) is the one that comes from the powerboard and carries the power and must go to J2 !

And the connector on J15 (correct gry-yel on left side) is now receiving 12V with reversed polarity.

If something on this powerline has a pcb with polarity sensitive electronics ( steppermotor driver in backbox ?) it could have caused to blow the fuse on the powersupplyboard for the 12V,......this is also where the +5V is derived from.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

J2 is 180º rotated relative to J15 and J16.
    Seen by the silkscreen, +12V should be left and GND on the right side. This means that the connector on J16 (in the picture post#12) is the one that comes from the powerboard and carries the power and must go to J2 !
    And the connector on J15 (correct gry-yel on left side) is now receiving 12V with reversed polarity.
    If something on this powerline has a pcb with polarity sensitive electronics ( steppermotor driver in backbox ?) it could have caused to blow the fuse on the powersupplyboard for the 12V,......this is also where the +5V is derived from.

Ah. I see now. I don't think I've ever put in a plug the wrong way as the locking (friction) ramp and pin distance pretty much makes it impossible to do that. Keying almost always makes it impossible too but it appears that Williams keyed the center pin and unfortunately it's symmetrical which means you can insert the plug the wrong way around.

It looks like 2J15 is correctly oriented but 2J16 is incorrectly oriented.

I can stand corrected.

1 month later
    #27 4 years ago

Any luck?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-display-is-dark-after-restore-?hl=rolpa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.