20200316_213758 (resized).jpg
20200215_181915 (resized).jpg
D01BE341-DFB7-4269-901D-DA3D1CF6F91F (resized).jpeg
IMG_2567 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200209-095426_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200209-095419_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200209-095357_Gallery (resized).jpg
There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Hey All,

My Diner coffee cup is disgusting and yellow, and after trying peroxide baths etc, it pretty much looks exactly the same. I found someone that can reproduce the Diner coffee cup by creating a mold, and pressure casting, and was wondering who would be interested in doing a group buy? My original cup is in perfect condition (besides the color), so I think it's a solid candidate for the cast.

I'm literally not looking to make a dime on it, and am willing to split the cost evenly with everyone that needs one. If I can get 20 commitments, it should be about 75 bucks shipped for each of them. I'll put up the money if I can get enough people on board, so no money until they are ready, but please only add your name to the list if you are definitely serious. If we can't get 20, we can see how much it would cost for a smaller run, and see if everyone is still on board.

#3 5 years ago

I'd take two....

#4 5 years ago

I'd be in for one!!!

#5 5 years ago

I'd be interested. Do you have a plan for the decals?

#7 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure I can do the decals justice, might be a couple of bucks extra, but shouldn't be a problem.

Quoted from zlorya:

I'd be interested. Do you have a plan for the decals?

#8 5 years ago

Don't have a Diner but would like one, I'll take ONE for future use!

#9 5 years ago

I would take one if it looks and shoots right. I heard a previous reproduction was not so good.

#10 5 years ago

My original cup will be used to create the mold, so should be exactly the same shape.

Quoted from RustyLizard:

I would take one if it looks and shoots right. I heard a previous reproduction was not so good.

#11 5 years ago

I am 100 percent in for a new cup.
Thanks for making this. I have been looking. Seeing what you have already done I know this will be at least as good as original!

#12 5 years ago

I will take one.
Thx for doing this.

#13 5 years ago

I will definitely take one. I too tried a peroxide bath, which definitely helped but since only the outermost layer got clear the effect was moderate but it did help.

Can you point to an example of something made with this method? I take it is not an injection mold? Can this process reproduce all the features in the cup accurately? If your cup has a hazed surface will the casting process be able to make a clear scratch free look?

#14 5 years ago

yea I'll take one as well.

#15 5 years ago

Anyone every consider a way to paint it white, like a real coffee mug? I know you wouldn't be able to see it spin around in it, unless tall but could look cool.

#16 5 years ago

I'm interested but can you find out more about what kind of mold he would use and what kind of material it would be cast in?

#17 5 years ago

That's 11 so far, not all committed, but interested. What material will be used? I do think some of the 'how and what' needs to be addressed here

I am committed for two as long as its transparent like the original and not 'cloudy' like one of the remakes...

#18 5 years ago

Cool, i actually have 1 more to make it 12. I'll try and post all of the details tomorrow on materials and process.

Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

That's 11 so far, not all committed, but interested. What material will be used? I do think some of the 'how and what' needs to be addressed here
I am committed for two as long as its transparent like the original and not 'cloudy' like one of the remakes...

#19 5 years ago

I’m in, but have the same questions as the others: material, process, durability.

#20 5 years ago

Interesting idea. The Planetary pinball repro looked and played like crap. That 3d printed material didn't lend itself to a clear or smooth playing cup.

#21 5 years ago

Cool, all good questions. I'll ask him this weekend and report back.

I'm actually picking up a pin tomorrow morning in a different state, so it may be a bit more difficult to get the answers by tomorrow, but the process isn't going to start for a bit anyways. Either way, good to see we are at 13. Right now, I guess I am more looking toward commitments to buy assuming the thing is up to snuff and what we're all hoping for. I'll document the process on this thread once it's started. Overall, I'm just going to start with one, and we can all assess how it turns out from there. It's not a crazy amount of money, and I'm more interested in the process than anything, so If it doesn't turn out great, oh well, at least I tried If I end up losing out personally, I'm not terribly worried about it. If it works out, there are several other things that are no longer available that I'd personally like to go on and have him try to do likewise.

The guy that would be doing it does props professionally for movies, his stuff is absolutely incredible, and he seems to think it'll be no problem to faithfully recreate it.

Anyway, keep the good questions coming, I'll try to get details as soon as I can

#22 5 years ago

1 here, just in case. I have no Diner at this time, but probably will someday.

#23 5 years ago

Make it 14!

#24 5 years ago

+1 for me.

#25 5 years ago

yep id buy one

#26 5 years ago

I am in for 2

#27 5 years ago

I’ll take one as well

#28 5 years ago

I’d be in for one!

#29 5 years ago

Thanks for taking on this project. I'm in for 2

#30 5 years ago

Here's a video of the process that would be used. He said it's very durable, and that it shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the vid and process, He also added: "This guy covers it ok. Basically you de-gas your silicon before doing a 2 part pour mold, which will give you a mold that would be able to handle pressure casting. This allows for crystal clear castings. If you didn't do this they would be very cloudy with micro bubbles."

Let me know if that covers it for most of you

#31 5 years ago

I'm still in for two after reviewing your information provided.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Mneubey:

Here's a video of the process that would be used. He said it's very durable, and that it shouldn't be an issue.
Regarding the vid and process, He also added: "This guy covers it ok. Basically you de-gas your silicon before doing a 2 part pour mold, which will give you a mold that would be able to handle pressure casting. This allows for crystal clear castings. If you didn't do this they would be very cloudy with micro bubbles."
Let me know if that covers it for most of you

But what kind of material will it be cast in? It needs to be something that can take the abuse of pinballs. There are lots of water clear resins.

#33 5 years ago

Here are some options.

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/crystal-clear/

Should take cast thickness and durability into consideration.

#34 5 years ago

Smooth cast 325

Quoted from seenev:

Here are some options.
https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/crystal-clear/
Should take cast thickness and durability into consideration.

569641512 (resized).jpg569641512 (resized).jpg
#35 5 years ago

I'm in for 2, please.

#36 5 years ago

When you pull this off...
Please do the Black Rose cannon shell.

#37 5 years ago

Please add me to the list for 1.

#38 5 years ago

I’m in for 3, please.

#39 5 years ago

Cool, there are about 30 people interested, so I'm gonna cut it off at that for this run. If u still want one, I'll create a reserve list. Inevitably someone doesn't pay, so I'm sure there will be a few extras to go around. Ill create a list later in the day.

#40 5 years ago

Wow,28 so far

#41 5 years ago

I bet you could sell 50 of these easy...

#42 5 years ago

I would go for 2 as well. What kind of timeframe are we looking at?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I have repro cup and never considered that might be what's causing my cup shots to be underwhelming at best. No to mention my cast has a hair in it...I would be in for one as well if it shoots and plays like the original.

#44 5 years ago

I’m in

#45 5 years ago

Here's the list -

Wmsfan x2
Hawkmoon
Zlorya
Atari_Daze
RustyLizard
nuhobby
Paul1478
Jjsmooth
BJM-Maxx
Sethman
seenev
djblouw
dozer1
TheOnlyest
bbriese
pinplayerinva
jjoravec X2
Completist
Pinsrgrt
pdnajs X2
SewerUrchin X2
Pinballer73
pinballphil X3
hawkmoon
GenXRJDM X2
Boise_D

If I missed anyone, or if anyone wants off the list, just let me know. If there are others that want in, I'll put you on the reserve list. If everything turns out fine, I could probably do this again in the future. I'm thinking the timeline will be in the next couple of months, depending on how much time is available to do it. Thanks for the interest!

Reserve List:

#46 5 years ago

I would like one please.

#47 5 years ago

I'm in for one as well. Thanks.

#48 5 years ago

I would like a new coffee cup as well. Keep me posted on this project please.

#49 5 years ago

Adding my name to this thread. Question: do you think he'd be able to do one in white? Personally, I always thought it should look more like an actual diner mug.
But, I'd be into it in either case. I have nice new ramps in mine and the cup is kinda meh next to them.

#50 5 years ago

Hi there. I'll check with him when i see him this week. I'll add you to the reserve list as well ☺

Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Adding my name to this thread. Question: do you think he'd be able to do one in white? Personally, I always thought it should look more like an actual diner mug.
But, I'd be into it in either case. I have nice new ramps in mine and the cup is kinda meh next to them.

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-coffee-cup-group-buy?hl=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.