(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,062 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Andypc
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 231 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
2566E351-0007-463D-AABF-A217A75A7D29 (resized).jpeg
97005EFF-C286-4F14-99BB-4BA12266A926 (resized).jpeg
cup (resized).jpg
Insert (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191011-005806~2 (resized).png
Message_1570765764341 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765733244 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765790728 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765838246 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765819076 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765857684 (resized).jpg
704E68AF-4E00-4B49-A649-2C6E66B5960B (resized).jpeg
A3105335-60D0-4D92-98B7-0FABA80C2C03 (resized).jpeg
0A6EF824-5406-4831-B13A-8078F2C0A337 (resized).jpeg
6AB94C7C-66C9-4EE5-A6B6-9439CDF13393 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Or i could create my own by making a mold of my current cup ??

You could. I have some exp with soft tooling casting and my cup is really nice (which is odd because when I got my Diner a few months ago every other plastic is warped) and have thought about making some duplicates.

1 month later
#239 4 years ago

My right ramp was crazy warped when I got it (sitting in a warehouse for a little while) and got a repro last week. Swapped all the parts over and will be putting it in tomorrow. It's on location, and this weekend was busy, so didn't get to it. Very excited though.

1 month later
#251 3 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Hello,
Can anyone offer any advice on how to set the flipper angle properly. It seems like no matter how I set up the left hand side I can only either hit the cup ramp or the special hole but never both. I typically align the flippers with the in lane guide. Also, as of late I feel like the ball isn't going up the cup ramp as fast as it used to. The ball would fly up the ramp and zoom around inside the cup. Now it just makes 3-4 revolutions if I'm lucky. Anything I should check? Flipper solenoids are brand new (with wpc95 mod) and seem snappy. Thanks !

Mine are in line with the guides and the ramp and special area aren't tough, but can be challenging if you can't find the shot. I have a brand new ramp on mine and that was a HUGE change. A flush shot can get 2.5-2.7m in the cup where 750k was the high end with the old ramp. That's not likely your issue. The special shot is pretty late and the ramp can be post city if I lose the shot.

#259 3 years ago

The playfield art has been "50% done" for a while now. Is it pretty much abandoned at this point? I don't mind if it takes a few months to get done as that gives me time to save up, but if it is not happening, I'd like to know that as well.

#282 3 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Yeah, I hate to say it but this thing looks like someone printed it on one of those $300 3-D printers you can buy now. Rough uneven edges all over, completely cloudy. For $70.

If it were, it would be white, even though the material is clear, where it was extruded onto the previous layer. Either way, it certainly is a disappointment that they look like that.

Is it something that can be flame polished?

#284 3 years ago

That's a pretty big bummer. I would contact PPS and see why there is a difference between what you saw and what you received. Let them know that other owners have seen it and at least a few are hesitant to get a new cup now. I would get a new one, but don't want one that isn't as clear as the original.

3 weeks later
#293 3 years ago

Is the scoring variable/adjustable? I'm getting 750k-1m on shots that are flush enough to get up there. On great shots, I'm getting 2.5-2.7m. Have done 2.7m a few times. My buddy got a touch more than that, but I can't remember the number. He was rocking the game machine though, so got a few extra rolls from there.

My game is on location, but has a good condition original cup, and a 2 month old ramp from Starship Fantasy.

1 week later
#298 3 years ago

Wow, I was wondering about a cup max a few days ago. Was going to take the glass off and see if there was one. Don't have to now.

4 weeks later
#304 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Diner was my favorite system 11 pin, until I bought WW

We have both at my location. Diner is mine, WW is my friend's. They are the two most popular machines most weeks.

3 weeks later
#318 3 years ago

My clock plastic fell off moving the game to Zapcon. Apparently it was already broken and just glued in place. The glue let go, which I could redo, but would prefer to replace if possible.

1 week later
#321 3 years ago

How smooth is your ramp? I don't mean free of scratches, is the plastic actually flat. My old ramp was wavy and cup shots were rare. A new one from Starfighter solved all of that. We were chatting at the last tournament about how it seemed like the high scores on the cup had seemed to be rarer, and 10 seconds later somebody nailed a 3.3m cup shot...

2 months later
#374 3 years ago

Do the black plastic clocks exist in the replacement world? How about the stickers? They seem to be out of stock where I have looked.

#376 3 years ago

The usual suspects either don't have the plastic clock part listed, or have it listed as out of stock. I'll need a new decal as well, but the lip of my clock is broken where the set screw holds the shaft. Previous owner glued it to the shaft at one point and the glue let go recently when I moved the game from a show.

#377 3 years ago

I just modeled the clock. Might have to make my own at some point. Not the buses one is glued back in place.

2 months later
#416 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I am interested in potentially joining this esteemed club of Diner owners but have a few questions as I'm deciding amongst several different sale/trade options that have been presented to me.
I currently only have room for 3 machines, and the other two are TZ and MET Pro LED. I have never owned a non-DMD title but definitely love Diner. I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can all chime in on that can help me decide.
- I'm currently looking at one for $2500 that looks to be in great condition...is that a good price? It seems to be in surprisingly great shape and does not have LEDs. It basically looks like, assuming there are no functional issues, that all I'd need to do upfront is get new drop-target decals and a new plastic under the center drop targets (easily available and cheap!)...plus LEDs most likely.
- Compared to more modern, DMD games...how deep is this game (i.e. will I get bored with it given that it's in such a small collection)? I have had World Cup and currently selling/trading my getaway as I found them to be fairly one-dimensional and got bored with them.
- Any specific issues I should keep in mind when I go and inspect the machine?
THANKS!!!

Have you ever played Taxi? Multiball on both games is actually a pretty easy task to achieve. It's doing something once you are there that is the hard part. I think I've hit both rush shots before a ball drains once. That lights the ramps for some big points, which I think I hit one time before losing a ball. At least on mine, it's a really hard thing to do. Finished Dine Time a few times, which is to serve all the customers and light the Dine Time shot. Hit that (it's timed I think) and you get the value on the clock face. It's a ton of fun overall.

2 weeks later
#428 3 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Flash News: CPR is taking pre-order for Diner repro playfield.

This isn't making nearly enough of a stir.

HELLO!!! CPR is taking names for a Diner playfield! Get on that list, some of you have been waiting a long time for this day.

#434 3 years ago

CPR doesn't send "we got your email" responses as far as I know. A friend emailed in to get in on their EK run and he got an email several months later saying it was time. He paid, playfield came, and the restoration looks amazing.

1 month later
#445 3 years ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

That was it - there was no blue pad. The lock shot is OK now.
Next issue: the Dine Time clock doesn't read the right value - any tips for dealing with that problem? (It also makes a squealing noise when it moves.)

Are you getting a credit dot? There is a set screw that holds the clock face to the stepper motor shaft. If that isn't a solid connection the face won't rotate when the motor does and so won't match the value the display shows.

8 months later
#473 2 years ago

Post or not, the outlanes are where the magnets are.

#488 2 years ago

Interesting issue popped up last night. One time, a shot placed in the lock didn't register. It went through a ball search at least once, and then it ended the ball and gave bonus. Another time, the ball drained and it didn't register that until after a few ball search cycles. After that it kicked one out and went onto the next ball as if nothing had happened. This was during a tournament so I was made aware to make a ruling.

It just seems interesting to me that two different switches had the same behavior and the game recovered after the ball search timout ended the ball. They are both leaf switches too, so not microswitches going bad.

1 month later
#511 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Interesting issue popped up last night. One time, a shot placed in the lock didn't register. It went through a ball search at least once, and then it ended the ball and gave bonus. Another time, the ball drained and it didn't register that until after a few ball search cycles. After that it kicked one out and went onto the next ball as if nothing had happened. This was during a tournament so I was made aware to make a ruling.
It just seems interesting to me that two different switches had the same behavior and the game recovered after the ball search timout ended the ball. They are both leaf switches too, so not microswitches going bad.

Bumping this random issue. It went away (seemingly) and then started happening again this weekend. These switches are not one the same row or column, so I'm thinking it's not a matrix issue. A short is a potential issue, but it's so random that I can't get it to happen at will.

#513 2 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

You are 100% your switches do not need adjusting?

Not sure. The game's run like a champ for almost 2 years. The only switch that has triggered a phantom drain is the left lock shot, and then only (seemingly) at random. I have several players play the game and even with them all watching a game nothing stands out as a pattern.

#520 2 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i had a ball the other night drain so hard it bounced down the ball trough to the staging area, so it never actually triggered the outhole switch and kicker. the game sat there playing music like i had a ball in play for a few seconds, then ended the ball. anything like that?
change of subject: how about tearing out the drop targets? i have new decals to install, but it doesn't look very easy. someone told me pull the e-clips, remove the opto board, then they just come out. does that sound right?

Actually, that seems a little like what's going on with mine. It will accept the ball into the lock, sit there for a few seconds like nothing happened (doesn't actually say it's locked) and then award bonus and move on.

#524 2 years ago

Just did a bunch of switch testing and the under ramp switch never triggered the outhole.

#525 2 years ago

Ok, and playing it several times now and there is a longer than normal delay when you drain sometimes. I think the outhole switch or the third trough switch is delaying a little as well. When you drain it takes a second to register that drain, but not every time. Works fine more often than not.

4 months later
#552 1 year ago

My ringer/bell hasn't worked since I got the game. Is there something specific I should be looking for? I'll take it apart once this tournament I'm hosting is over, but from the last time I was in there a visual inspection didn't show anything obvious like a broken wire or hammer fallen off the coil.

#554 1 year ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Diner has a ringer or bell ? Where is it ? I don't think mine has one.

Derp. That’s what I get for trying to do two things at once. Off to the Taxi thread I go.

2 weeks later
#555 1 year ago

Still stumped as to why the ball can go under the left ramp, pause, and then register as a drain. Just went into switch test and clicked that switch ~50 times and it registered as the proper switch each time.

#559 1 year ago
Quoted from branlon8:

my impression is microswitches do not always just fail suddenly, but that it is a slow process. In some cases it‘s best just to replace the switch (assuming the obvious things have already been checked).
btw - I‘m still not clear what you meant with bell or ringer in your previous post.

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I had the switch in the cup fail in a similar way. As you know finally getting the ball swirling around should be met with cool sounds and a good score. In mine I could test it manually fine but the ball speed seemed to make it random. Finally switched it out and problem solved. Just need to get better at playing now.

I agree, but the outhole switch is not on the same row or column as the lock, or lower left kickout, or whatever they want to call it. If the switch is failing, why wouldn't it just not register and then have to wait for a ball search?

#562 1 year ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

If it's in fact true that all your hardware checks out good, its likely that you have a logic glitch. Most of those issues are resolved with a simple RAM clear... Turn off, unplug, pull batteries, wait 2-3 mins, reinsert batteries, plug in, turn on, re-adjust settings.

That would be very interesting indeed. I'll have to jot down my settings and do this next time I'm at the location.

5 months later
#592 1 year ago

Wow, that's great news! Considering it's been quite a long time spent on the "gathering interest" stage.

2 weeks later
#605 1 year ago

Are these cups unobtanium at this point?

1 month later
#654 1 year ago

I have a Diner and Taxi in the same location on route (8-9 total games) and Diner does better by ~50% on a pretty regular basis.

3 months later
#753 9 months ago
Quoted from pin-pimp:

so ive located the original coffee cup mold. trying to get it in my shop for repairs. might take some time but at least its not scrap.
working with PPS to get it moving.

Wow, that's pretty cool. If you are able to document that somehow whether in this thread or in another (please post a link here) I'd love to see that whole process.

#760 9 months ago

I have modeled the clock disc, as mine is cracked by the set screw. I was going to see if my Morgan Press could make them at some point.

1 week later
#768 9 months ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone,
I am wanting to purchase all new ramps for my diner, any info on what company makes the best ramps?
cheers
Trevor

I needed the right ramp and got it from Starship Fantasy. It’s been great on location for over 2 years now.

2 months later
#859 7 months ago

Paid for mine today as well. The project is quite a ways off as the game earns very consistantly even after several years on location. It’ll come home sooner than later so another game can have a chance.

1 week later
#867 7 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Just got my Diner pre-order CPR email, but x3 somehow. I never got any achknowledgement at the time so not sure what happened. I have one PF on the way so there might be 2 extra slots in the list for people.

I only sent in one email but got one email to both of my Gmail accounts. Not sure what happened, but let them know when I paid for my playfield.

#876 6 months ago

I am not planning on doing my swap for several months. Mine was delivered today. I'll take pictures, then put it under a bed, and see if I can remember to take another look in another 6-ish months.

#881 6 months ago

They said on Facebook that it might take a few weeks to get all of the emails sent out.

#888 6 months ago

Wow, that’s a bummer. Hopefully they will be able to do these on demand sooner than later.

#894 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I bought a gold.
Still haven't taken it out of the box lol.
I'm trying to get my doctor who playing right now.
Then farfalla, then back to my diner.

I took it out to inspect it and then put it back in. Going to let it hang out for a while before starting the project.

#900 6 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

At the NW Pinball Show last week I was told the Diner Coffee Cup Injection mold has been found and should be reproduced soon.

Say whaaaat?! That's great news. I don't need one, but others do and it will be great to have replacements available.

4 weeks later
#932 5 months ago

How much margin of error do you have when removing something like a CPR clear before the ink is gone? Sounds pretty high on the pucker factor.

2 months later
#998 84 days ago

More fun with Diner. When I turn it on it gives a credit dot. Checking that it says something like “can’t raise lift ramp”. There was also a ball sitting in the right side Today’s Special scoop. When I retrieved the ball the outhole kicker shot it into the trough, so that coil works. When I turned it on and pressed start when I first got to the game it did a ball search with several coils and said pinball missing. So at least some coils are working.
Once all 3 balls were in the trough, I pressed start. Instead of kicking a ball out and starting a game the display did a slow motion powering off thing. GI was still on, but the game seemed to freeze. I just did it again and the display didn’t power down, but the inserts looked like it started a game, but the game made a bong sound and then went into attract mode. I’ve never seen a System 11 do this. I did a cap kit on the power supply a few weeks ago, so the power supply should at least be happy.
Not sure if this matters, but the relay on the aux power board (bottom right) clicks 5 times when it boots. Not sure if this is normal or not, but it happens.

#1000 83 days ago
Quoted from desertT1:

More fun with Diner. When I turn it on it gives a credit dot. Checking that it says something like “can’t raise lift ramp”. There was also a ball sitting in the right side Today’s Special scoop. When I retrieved the ball the outhole kicker shot it into the trough, so that coil works. When I turned it on and pressed start when I first got to the game it did a ball search with several coils and said pinball missing. So at least some coils are working.
Once all 3 balls were in the trough, I pressed start. Instead of kicking a ball out and starting a game the display did a slow motion powering off thing. GI was still on, but the game seemed to freeze. I just did it again and the display didn’t power down, but the inserts looked like it started a game, but the game made a bong sound and then went into attract mode. I’ve never seen a System 11 do this. I did a cap kit on the power supply a few weeks ago, so the power supply should at least be happy.
Not sure if this matters, but the relay on the aux power board (bottom right) clicks 5 times when it boots. Not sure if this is normal or not, but it happens.

I think it was the upper "Today's Special" switch getting stuck and ended up blowing the fuse. A few test games later it was still playing great, so fingers crossed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside