(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,027 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

468C8358-514E-474B-A4FA-6B6A48BF4BB2 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230818_015224729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015217741 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015252906 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014723841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014721016 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014827026 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014807488 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015311263 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015303822 (resized).jpg
01_s11_ssd3.jpg
00_s11_ssd3.jpg
CA32A5DE-C882-43F7-A308-499962824623 (resized).jpeg
7169687A-9648-4094-8846-EE493B1739D9 (resized).jpeg
8767A2EA-C9E9-4E11-B57D-E6906F386A32 (resized).jpeg
A421D1B0-5878-42D8-98BD-4F680FEC5B6B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#448 7 years ago

Hi All,
new topic, Diner was our first SS game and has always been one of our favorites, even after the addition of much higher rated WPC games to the collection. I think it's mainly the theme, I love "real" diners, I would decorate my house in diner style if I was the only one deciding. There were various repairs over the years, including a thorough disassembly and cleaning of the playfield early on - man was it filthy) but I haven't yet touched the playfield in spite of the hack job done by one of the previous owners (see photo). So my question is can I fix this without a complete playfield restauration? In spite of my methodical nature I am not convinced I will get everything back on right, and of course the amount of time needed is daunting. So what was the Diner playfield like when new? Most games have painted wood and holes with plastic insers, but Diner is different, it has pictures over the inserts. My Diner seems to have a mylar cover over most of the playfield, but I am not sure what I'll find if I remove the mylar film. Are the images on the back side of the film or are there overlays below and a film on top. What will I find under the overlays, assuming some are there? Will I be able to remove the little pieces of Boris and put them in the right place? The DINER letters above the customers could stand a bit of improvement, too. Any thoughts, tips, insight or experienced would be appreciated.

IMG_0636 (resized).JPGIMG_0636 (resized).JPG

9 months later
#501 6 years ago

hey all you Diner enthusiasts - I finally completed my Diner corner !

IMG_0705 (resized).JPGIMG_0705 (resized).JPG

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Well done. What is that at the front, stickers?

thanks - good catch about the stickers - one of the previous owners had bought the game from a dealer. The stickers are from that dealer - the stickers are kind of ugly, I should probably take them off

5 months later
#553 6 years ago

Diner has a ringer or bell ? Where is it ? I don't think mine has one.

2 weeks later
#556 6 years ago

my impression is microswitches do not always just fail suddenly, but that it is a slow process. In some cases it‘s best just to replace the switch (assuming the obvious things have already been checked).

btw - I‘m still not clear what you meant with bell or ringer in your previous post.

8 months later
#661 5 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Does anyone know where to get the patron insert replacements?

I bought mine at Ministry of Pinball in the Netherlands. I got the whole set of insert decals when I pulled off the mylar and redid the playfield. With some Novus I got the playfield looking really nice and shiny, replaced the damaged inserts then put down a proti.

The decals were quite usable, but I cannot say I’m completely satisfied. The faces of the diners are darker than on the original. I suppose they could have faded over time, but they looked like yours. The new ones are fine when you’re playing and the insert lights are on. It’s one big piece with all 5 diners - it fit pretty well.

What didn’t work so well was the decal over the DINER letters. It didn’t cover the inserts entirely so I had to start getting creative. I discovered that the red on a Time Magazine cover matched the red on Diner almost exactly. Also I kind of wish the yellow around the letters was less translucent.

The worst was the decal for the grill area - I wound up not using it at all and making my own.

2 years later
#1405 3 years ago

I‘ve often thought that the piece of galvanized sheet metal welded on to the right ramp at the intersection of the two ramps is one of the less attractive spots on otherwise an artistic masterpiece.

1 year later
#1913 1 year ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

And now I do have a question: with regards to "spins" on new replacement cups, is there a consensus that these might be slower than before, or hacks to dialing it in? I've read several pages back and I've checked my ramp alignment, entry flap, switch, flipper configs, etc. Everything about this game plays perfect and snappy but the cup spins seem a little slower than they were before I tore it apart.

somewhere further up in this thread someone suggested to change the flipper angle (tips closer to the apron). This worked well on my game - the 2.7 million cupshot became possible (but never easy) again.

#1916 1 year ago

this corner of the room is not very light, but I think you can get an idea of the angles.

5A69D2D7-D668-449B-B61A-110CDBC3364E (resized).jpeg5A69D2D7-D668-449B-B61A-110CDBC3364E (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#1952 9 months ago

in some online guidelines there is a warning to the effect - “if you don’t know how to work on boards DON’T DO IT”, but everybody’s gotta learn it somewhere, right? If you’re not real familiar with soldering, practice a lot on other stuff, before you start on the boards.

3 months later
#2002 6 months ago
Quoted from Wanderers:

Hello
I played on my diner tonight for the first time in a few weeks and I noticed when I shoot the ramp ( cup ramp ) the lights where not resetting back to
single D. I have got this set in medium and I think I am Wright in saying your shot the ramp once to open the divertor then the second shot goes in the cup. After that the DINER lights should go out leaving just the D lit, until you shoot the ramp again which lights the I.
Mine has stopped doing this DINER is just constantly lit.
Any advise would be much appreciated

sounds like a switch on the right ramp might not be registering. What does the diverter do?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-clubowners-and-previous-owners-welcome?tu=branlon8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.