(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,088 posts
  • 151 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by vbobrusev
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 237 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_64563_1 (resized).jpg
image_64550_1-1 (resized).jpg
FC94E10E-A4B3-44CD-9671-4ED53535489F (resized).jpeg
813F3305-BCCD-4B07-97D8-D01BC77E1037 (resized).jpeg
757C359F-B985-4443-92D5-3BD9F469A340 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2019-12-22 at 13.50.22 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
2566E351-0007-463D-AABF-A217A75A7D29 (resized).jpeg
97005EFF-C286-4F14-99BB-4BA12266A926 (resized).jpeg
cup (resized).jpg
Insert (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191011-005806~2 (resized).png
Message_1570765764341 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765733244 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765790728 (resized).jpg
Message_1570765838246 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#166 4 years ago

Still looking for a diner in the east coast area!

1 month later
#189 4 years ago

Great analysis^

1 month later
#206 4 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

First of all... I don't own this game.. but I like it. Why did I break into this club? No idea, I be in and out.... If you are satisfied how your inserts look when the machine is off. Then just lift your playfield, remove all the lights and hardware behind the insets that are being illuminated. Then paint "aka blackout" all the areas you don't want light to pass. You may need several layers or use very opaque black paint. After you do this, you must make these inserts LED. Buy "RETRO LED". If you paint behind an insert you can not have a standard bulb produce heat. LED = no heat... RETRO = Diner.
Last note: Shine a bright light on the playfield while you black out the other side. This way you will be able to see what you need to do. Take your time, use clean edges and keep adding layers till its amazing.

Seems like this may really make things look horrid. I don't know if I'd do this. Just leave them alone.

4 years later
#1024 68 days ago

Guys: I have a couple leads on a diner. However, they both really need shopped.

I know it's relative to experience, but how difficult is the shop out on diner?

#1027 68 days ago

It would just be top side.

#1032 67 days ago
Quoted from sawbill:

Blackbeard, take care the playfield doesn’t have raised “DINER” and customer inserts. Otherwise, fixing that will be the most important task of your shopout.

The few I’ve been offered have raised inserts. Isn’t it somewhat easy to heat them from below and push them down?

#1034 67 days ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I roughened up the perimeter wall of the insert just a bit

Trying to visualize this. Are you talking about roughening up the parimeter wall of the insert itself (the small part protruding above the pf) OR are you talking about the parimeter wall of the insert hole of the pf, underneath the pf?

#1035 67 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Trying to visualize this. Are you talking about roughening up the parimeter wall of the insert itself (the small part protruding above the pf) OR are you talking about the parimeter wall of the insert hole of the pf, underneath the pf?

EDIT: scanned vids how-to. I think you mean you actually popped out the insert, roughed up the edge, epoxied, and then clamped.

Do you always have to pop it out? Or can you just heat it up, push it down, glue and clamp? Or will this not be adequate?

#1037 66 days ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

No need to pop anything out unless the whole thing is loose. On mine, the ends towards the bottom of the playfield were still bonded. The upper ends were disconnected and they had all ramped upward.
What I meant is I roughed up the vertical walls of the inserts. I then put epoxy bridging the vertical sidewall of the inserts onto the wood of the playfield.

I think I see.

So you roughed up the edges of the insert sticking up out of
The pf, then applied epoxy underneath, and clamped them back down?

Also: when doing this, doesn’t it leave a line around the insert edge where it lifted and broke the old art/any clear the pf had? I supposed a black paint pen could conceal that break in the edge.

#1040 66 days ago

Makes sense now. I see youre roughing up the inside of the insert's edges. I was thinking the outside edge..

#1042 66 days ago
Quoted from vassq:

Hate to throw this out there during this tech talk. I have a chance to buy a diamond pf diner in excellent condition. 3k. Thoughts.?

My thoughts are I'm jealous and if you pass, I'd like to buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blackbeard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside