(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,027 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

468C8358-514E-474B-A4FA-6B6A48BF4BB2 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230818_015224729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015217741 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015252906 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014723841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014721016 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014827026 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014807488 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015311263 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015303822 (resized).jpg
01_s11_ssd3.jpg
00_s11_ssd3.jpg
CA32A5DE-C882-43F7-A308-499962824623 (resized).jpeg
7169687A-9648-4094-8846-EE493B1739D9 (resized).jpeg
8767A2EA-C9E9-4E11-B57D-E6906F386A32 (resized).jpeg
A421D1B0-5878-42D8-98BD-4F680FEC5B6B (resized).jpeg
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 41.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from mulder2010:

Just found a nice diamond plate with yellow habit trail wire form. I'll have to try the nudging trick when the ball is in the cup. How do you determine if it's a prototype?

Diner - full view.jpeg 211 KB

Diamond plate playfield and yellow habitrail

#102 9 years ago

OK. I didn't think it was cut and dry.

3 months later
#103 9 years ago

Just got mine, I love my sys11 spread!

The only mod I've wondered about is, has anybody considered making a porcelain colored replacement for the spinout cup? They always get yellowed and it does t seem like losing the translucence would really have a negative impact on game play. A white cup would be really nice looking!

image.jpgimage.jpg image-396.jpgimage-396.jpg
#104 9 years ago

Also...does anybody know if Diner was originally meant to have a center pin (between the flippers)? I can see an indentation on my playfield right where one would go...and in the course of gameplay I have found myself wishing it were there!

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Also...does anybody know if Diner was originally meant to have a center pin (between the flippers)? I can see an indentation on my playfield right where one would go...and in the course of gameplay I have found myself wishing it were there!

I should hope not!
-mof

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Question for you folks... I just got a Diner in amazing shape (thanks to a fellow Pinsider and friend that restored it), but I am having trouble getting the Cup shot to score more than 2 times around the cup no matter how well I hit the shot. The game is at exactly 6.5 degrees with brand new rebuilt flippers. For folks who have their Diner at 6.5 degrees, how many cup rotations do you get?
Trying to understand if I have a weak flipper issue, or maybe 6.5 degrees is too steep to get proper scoring on the cup.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Marc

I know this was an old post , but...check the position of the flipper at rest. If it's up too high you won't get a full stroke and it won't have enough oomph to send the ball around the cup more than a couple times, even with a clean shot.

#107 9 years ago

Hmm...having now played several more games (with freshly rebuilt flippers) and tweaked the flipper position AND tried varying the playfield pitch, I find I'm having trouble getting a nice solid cup shot as well. Can't figure it out; I've had a few 1,000,000 point shots and one 2.5M, but several days later I'm lucky to get 500,000. It seems like the shot is clean. The only think I can think is that those shots are just really tight and have a very narrow sweet spot (hard to hit the Dine Time shot and have the ball actually lock like it's supposed to, even if it is a clean spinner shot, for example). I'm out of things to try to tweak!

1 week later
#108 9 years ago

im happy with the score

image.jpgimage.jpg
#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

im happy with the score

Yikes, think its time you pass that machine on since you have clearly mastered it. Feel free to ship it to me, lol.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Yikes, think its time you pass that machine on since you have clearly mastered it. Feel free to ship it to me, lol.

you are most welcome to come round and play on it, lol

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

you are most welcome to come round and play on it anytime, lol

2 weeks later
#112 9 years ago

Has anyone shopped their Diner and still happen to have both older slingshot plastics still intact ?

With sorrow I noticed both mine were broken and would love to get the game whole and nice.

I would gladly buy them.

Thanks
Matt in Sweden

1 month later
#113 9 years ago

Hi guys!

Since saturday, I'm the proud owner of an early production Diner. I'm very happy. Everything works and it's in wonderful shape.

Got a few questions about the game:

Mine as yellow legs and have longer legs at the back. It this normal? One of the few sample with those specs? Or just a mismatch with custom color?

Mine also has a center post betwwen flippers and the wire railing behind the flippers are down to the playfield instead of raised up. Again, someone else has that? This looks totally factory and guessing it's a sample feature but I know not every sample has those. Anyone else got that?

Here's a few pics the seller sent me before I buy. And yes, the glass is scratched as hell

IMG_20150410_143714.jpgIMG_20150410_143714.jpg
IMG_20150410_143747.jpgIMG_20150410_143747.jpg
IMG_20150410_143756 1.jpgIMG_20150410_143756 1.jpg
IMG_20150410_143806.jpgIMG_20150410_143806.jpg
IMG_20150410_143819.jpgIMG_20150410_143819.jpg
IMG_20150410_143852.jpgIMG_20150410_143852.jpg
IMG_20150410_131407.jpgIMG_20150410_131407.jpg

#114 9 years ago

Is the color of this plastic right just because it looks drastically different to the other platics on the game, is it a repo

IMG_20150415_181042.jpgIMG_20150415_181042.jpg

#115 9 years ago

It is a repro yes. And the color is off, it's kinda pink instead of orange.

Not sure where the guy told me it was from. He ordered 2 and I have 1 more spare + the original broken.

Good eye

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Mine also has a center post betwwen flippers

AHA!! I saw the dimple on my playfield and wondered about that. You should be psyched! My main complaint about Diner is unsaveable SDTM drains, wish they'd kept that on later production models.

2 weeks later
#117 8 years ago

I'm doing a full restore of my Diner. Who makes the best playfield insert decals? I haven't found many out there. I'll be clear coating on top of these with an auto 2k clear. Thanks.

3 weeks later
#118 8 years ago

Hey All,

I'm about to replace my posts rubber sleeves and can't decide on a color. Blue, yellow red, orange?

Can some of you with custom color can post pictures to help me out on my decision?

Thanks!

P.S. I kinda saw yellow on Cliff website but I'd like more views

#119 8 years ago

Miss Diner! Had 2 different ones over the years. This is from my everything needs a topper phase
IMG_2011.JPGIMG_2011.JPG

#120 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Hey All,
I'm about to replace my posts rubber sleeves and can't decide on a color. Blue, yellow red, orange?
Can some of you with custom color can post pictures to help me out on my decision?
Thanks!
P.S. I kinda saw yellow on Cliff website but I'd like more views

Cant find any pics but had some red posts and it looked nice. I think now I would try to add some White in also

#121 8 years ago

Hawkmoon checking in!! My Diner,came perfect from gameroomguys,and i love to play it a lot! About coffee cup,if i get a solid ramp shot,i get 2 to 3 mil easy! However,i have NOT been able to beat 3.7 mil,thats about tops for me!I get down low and chew up the cash register for a extra ball,and about a half mil! Diner is a winner for me!!!

#122 8 years ago

Actually, I already ordered from Cliff, lite blue rubber sleeves. I think it will complement the other blue accent well. I'll post pictures when installed. I thought about white but it gets dirty faster...

I also ordered the right ramp protector to keep it intact and a slot protector for the left ramp/ right inlane drop.

#123 8 years ago
Quoted from SSrig:

Miss Diner! Had 2 different ones over the years. This is from my everything needs a topper phase

Can't afford toppers, my basement ceiling's too low! I wonder what I'll do when I get the coveted Taxi or Whitewater.

#124 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hawkmoon checking in!! My Diner,came perfect from gameroomguys,and i love to play it a lot! About coffee cup,if i get a solid ramp shot,i get 2 to 3 mil easy! However,i have NOT been able to beat 3.7 mil,thats about tops for me!I get down low and chew up the cash register for a extra ball,and about a half mil! Diner is a winner for me!!!

with the cup ramp shot do you slightly nudge the machine forward to build momentum, when the ball is spinning you could easily reach 3.7 mil on it

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Can't afford toppers, my basement ceiling's too low! I wonder what I'll do when I get the coveted Taxi or Whitewater.

not that many great toppers available right now unless you could make one

#126 8 years ago

You might be right on the hula hoop maneuver,i never tried that one.Mine is a older model,and it does not have a center post tween the flippers,no yellow chutes ,and my coffee cup is as clear as a bell!!Peace

#127 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

and my coffee cup is as clear as a bell!!Peace

Who's thinking about replacing their Coffee Cup for a new one? Who did it? Worth the price tag? 60$ cup + 25$ decals + shipping will set me back more than 100$ here in Canada. Mine is pretty yellowed but still it's only cosmetic.

I'm about to get a big order from Marco and wondering if I should pick up one...

Some you you with a new cup can show me pictures to see the difference?

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Who's thinking about replacing their Coffee Cup for a new one? Who did it? Worth the price tag? 60$ cup + 25$ decals + shipping will set me back more than 100$ here in Canada. Mine is pretty yellowed but still it's only cosmetic.
I'm about to get a big order from Marco and wondering if I should pick up one...
Some you you with a new cup can show me pictures to see the difference?

You should try some peroxide. May be cheaper than a new cup.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics

Then you would only need the decals unless you can salvage your existing one.

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from kungfucop:

You should try some peroxide. May be cheaper than a new cup.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/say-goodbye-to-old-yellowed-plastics
Then you would only need the decals unless you can salvage your existing one.

Yes, I just got a hold of that thread! Will try!!!! I'll try to salvage the decal as well, worst case I get new one from BAA at 16$.

We'll keep you posted!

#130 8 years ago

Bought my Diner Topper a couple of years ago, thought it fit the theme pretty well. Of course had to put good old Bob's Big Boy up their too!

Diner Topper.jpgDiner Topper.jpg
#131 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

That could be a crisis, Taxi and WH20 are both awesome. Had to sell both recently due to space

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from nvu4prod:

Bought my Diner Topper a couple of years ago, thought it fit the theme pretty well. Of course had to put good old Bob's Big Boy up their too!

Diner Topper.jpg

Cool topper!

#133 8 years ago

Question about the game rules:

Whenever I enable multiball, rush or dine time, all I got to do is enter the top eject hole to complete "release", rush1 or dine time, without going through the spinner first which should be the correct shot.

For example, I'll shot "special" and the auto kicker will then shoot around to the top eject hole and complete the shot. Same with multiball, if a ball re-enters the top eject hole after being ejected, it will count as "rush1".

Should the game register the ball going through the spinner first?

How does it play for you guys? I know there is a game setting for the top eject that does something about that but I'm "factory" so I assume it should not be this way...

#135 8 years ago

I found my answer. The setting I was talking about, "eject hole award", does that. By default it does not require to go through the spinner to get the shot.

I'm wondering why it's ON by default.

#136 8 years ago

how do you remove the coffee cup? I can't seem to remove the backboard without the cup and vice versa. Do I need to remove the left ramp as well?

#137 8 years ago

Question,anyone??Has anyone used a nvram battery eliminator on Diner,and if so where,please??

#138 8 years ago

Hope this picture helps!

Diner1.jpgDiner1.jpg
#139 8 years ago

Why won't the mirrored back glass get done already

#140 8 years ago

nvu4prod,Thank,you very much!!6116 setup and position,perfect! I hate batteries in my machines,and i'm not a tech guy,so i gotta find these things,again,mucho gracias!!!

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

nvu4prod,Thank,you very much!!6116 setup and position,perfect! I hate batteries in my machines,and i'm not a tech guy,so i gotta find these things,again,mucho gracias!!!

My Pleasure!!

Quoted from shlockdoc:

Why won't the mirrored back glass get done already

No Kidding, they can't be done soon enough!!

#142 8 years ago

I got my Coffee cup out and tried retrobrite without success. Clear plastic won't get unyellowed. I'm ordering a new cup as everything is apart now. Would be silly to re-install this old one. I'm looking forward to put everything back together and play...

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

I got my Coffee cup out and tried retrobrite without success. Clear plastic won't get unyellowed. I'm ordering a new cup as everything is apart now. Would be silly to re-install this old one. I'm looking forward to put everything back together and play...

Did you try the method that vid1900 and others posted about recently, using UV light?
-mof

#144 8 years ago

Soaked the cup in hydrogen peroxide for 5 days under both the sun and UV light without success...

#145 8 years ago

My take on a Diner is:

low lights, sticky seats, lots of golds and browns (smoke, oil, dirt, etc) -- elements that say, "This Diner has been around since the 50's"

Diner is the last pin in my collection I would even think of:

1. LEDs
2. needing/wanting perfect plastics/clear ramps, etc.

I think the "imperfections" actually enhance this particular theme.
-mof

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

About coffee cup,if i get a solid ramp shot,i get 2 to 3 mil easy!

That's incredible. Answer me this, is your ramp smooth/flat on the bottom? Mine is slightly humped up in the middle, and I am wondering if it was warped by flame polishing. I can occasionally get 3M+, but it is rare. Game is set up perfectly, flippers are solid, etc.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Who's thinking about replacing their Coffee Cup for a new one?

There's a guy in Australia who does 3d printed parts and mods; my brother had him make a mesh weave for the satellite dish in "Goldeneye" and it fit perfectly. I've been thinking of having that guy make a replacement cup in porcelain white, so that it actually looks like what's it's supposed to be. I know, it would be sacrificing some of the flashers, but apart from that I think it could look really nice. Probably expensive but a cool mod.

#148 8 years ago

That's incredible. Answer me this, is your ramp smooth/flat on the bottom? Mine is slightly humped up in the middle, and I am wondering if it was warped by flame polishing. I can occasionally get 3M+, but it is rare. Game is set up perfectly, flippers are solid, etc.

About 33% of the time, when I get a strong hit into the right ramp, the ball will get "stuck" on the switch gate (about 4" from the bottom) and roll/bounce back onto the playflield. Like if there was not enough room for the ball to get through the gate. But there is plenty. Wondering if the ball gets slightly airborne and jam in the gate. Any of you have this problem?

#149 8 years ago

There's a guy in Australia who does 3d printed parts and mods; my brother had him make a mesh weave for the satellite dish in "Goldeneye" and it fit perfectly. I've been thinking of having that guy make a replacement cup in porcelain white, so that it actually looks like what's it's supposed to be. I know, it would be sacrificing some of the flashers, but apart from that I think it could look really nice. Probably expensive but a cool mod.

I ordered a new repro finally. After removing a bunch of things to get to the cup, I though it would be silly to leave that old yellowed one in place. I get Mof about how his Diner look "vintage" but mine is actually very very clean and a new cup will look great.

#150 8 years ago

Ordered a bunch of new parts for my Diner. Even if those cost only a few bucks the total ramp up pretty quickly. With new legs and coffee cup, got for about 250$ on new hardware to put in. Looking forward to it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-clubowners-and-previous-owners-welcome/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.