(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,027 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

468C8358-514E-474B-A4FA-6B6A48BF4BB2 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230818_015224729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015217741 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015252906 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014723841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014721016 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014827026 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014807488 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015311263 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015303822 (resized).jpg
01_s11_ssd3.jpg
00_s11_ssd3.jpg
CA32A5DE-C882-43F7-A308-499962824623 (resized).jpeg
7169687A-9648-4094-8846-EE493B1739D9 (resized).jpeg
8767A2EA-C9E9-4E11-B57D-E6906F386A32 (resized).jpeg
A421D1B0-5878-42D8-98BD-4F680FEC5B6B (resized).jpeg

There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 41.
#1201 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

When I start a new game, I hear multiple clicking sounds that sound like a ball is stuck
I’m hearing those same sounds at random times during gameplay while on the same ball.
You can hear it in the first and last 5 seconds. More annoying than anything else

Unfortunately the video is not very helpful, but if I had to guess, i'd say its maybe your drop target reset coil(s) are firing due to dirty optos, or maybe your right sling is activating due to vibration because the gap in one or more of the the leaf switches is too small... Pop bumpers can also have this problem. You need to identify what coils are firing, to determine how to resolve this issue.

#1202 3 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Unfortunately the video is not very helpful, but if I had to guess, i'd say its maybe your drop target reset coil(s) are firing due to dirty optos, or maybe your right sling is activating due to vibration because the gap in one or more of the the leaf switches is too small... Pop bumpers can also have this problem. You need to identify what coils are firing, to determine how to resolve this issue.

Thanks for the advice.

#1203 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

When I start a new game, I hear multiple clicking sounds that sound like a ball is stuck
I’m hearing those same sounds at random times during gameplay while on the same ball.
You can hear it in the first and last 5 seconds. More annoying than anything else

Sounds like outhole switch or trough switches needs replacing, probably all of them.

The game is going into ball search at the end of ball.

#1204 3 years ago

Looks like there are 3 switches

Looks like it should be a simple replacement.
I see 3 small diodes, 1 on each switch as well as what looks like a long diode on the bottom most switch.

What are they used for and does anyone know the part number for them?

Thanks

FDE44147-C6D6-43B5-A586-E06A9FB1BD65 (resized).jpegFDE44147-C6D6-43B5-A586-E06A9FB1BD65 (resized).jpeg
#1205 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

I see 3 small diodes, 1 on each switch as well as what looks like a long diode on the bottom most switch.
Thanks[quoted image]

Do you have the manual?
Part numbers are in it.

#1206 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Do you have the manual?
Part numbers are in it.

I’ll see if I can find it online.

Is there a marking on the diode that shows which direction it should be installed or does it not matter?

#1207 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Is there a marking on the diode that shows which direction it should be installed or does it not matter?

Banded side towards the thicker wire in most coil cases.

On switches just copy the existing.

#1208 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Manual and all info here:

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=681

#1209 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Thanks[quoted image]

Diodes should all upgraded to in4007 when replaced.

Stock is 4001 or 4004.

The 4007 is way more robust (1000v version) and exactly the same.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1n4007-vs-1n4004-1n4001

#1210 3 years ago

Diodes should all upgraded to in4007 when replaced.
Stock is 4001 or 4004.
The 4007 is way more robust (1000v version) and exactly the same.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1n4007-vs-1n4004-1n4001

As Tom indicated....1N4004s are good for the switch matrix stuff - you can go bigger if you want - but it's not critical...4004's are common....the banded side is the cathode or, negative side, of the diode....diodes are critical in making the switch matrix - well, work - as they block current flow in one direction - this allows the switches to not all trigger at the same time and such...anyway - diodes critical - banded side is negative...4004's or higher is what you need....

#1211 3 years ago

Making some progress (I think)

I removed the balls from the machine and ran the switch test. The following appeared on the display.

Cup entry
06 29

Iced Tea
06 32

So it appears that these 2 are either activated, shorted or broken?

The hunt continues...

#1212 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Making some progress (I think)
I removed the balls from the machine and ran the switch test. The following 2 showed on the display.

Cup entry
06 29
Iced Tea
06 32
So it appears that these 2 are either activated, shorted or broken?
The hunt continues...

#1213 3 years ago

Looks like lifting the arm of the switch to the cup entry ramp fixed the problem.

Now upon boot I’m getting message “Press advance for test report".

Check switch spinner 56
Is that in the cup?

#1214 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Looks like lifting the arm of the switch to the cup entry ramp fixed the problem.
Check switch spinner 56
Is that in the cup?

No its the spinner.

Test all the switches in swtich test now.

Test with a ball not your finger.

#1215 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Check switch spinner 56
Is that in the cup?

I put a MRS switch inside the cup one due to constant errors on mine and missed points.

#1216 3 years ago

No its the spinner.
Test all the switches in swtich test now.
Test with a ball not your finger.

Ok, so it looks like the switch was behind the cup. A little tweaking and now the message does not appear upon boot

#1217 3 years ago

I put a MRS switch inside the cup one due to constant errors on mine and missed points.

So you removed the switch by the hole in the cup? Where exactly did you install the MRS switch?

#1218 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

So you removed the switch by the hole in the cup? Where exactly did you install the MRS switch?

I unplugged the switch and stuck the self adhesive MRS replacement just to the side of the existing

Quoted from Cmjb13:

I left the existing switch in for now.

I added the replacement self adhesive MRS switch just to the side of the existing.

It doesn't matter what side, whatever is easiest.

Just plug it in where the old switch plugged in. Its on a cable.

Its really perfect and you don't have to spend hours tearing it apart.

#1219 3 years ago

Played a few games and powered off. Powered back on and “Press advance for test report” reappears

Cup 17
Lower left eject 50

Took all the balls out and ran switch test. No errors. Very strange

#1220 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmjb13:

Played a few games and powered off. Powered back on and “Press advance for test report” reappears
Cup 17
Lower left eject 50
Took all the balls out and ran switch test. No errors. Very strange

Weak switches and/or loose wires/bad diodes do this.

Generally, replacing switches and tightening up/checking the wires as well as refreshing connectors fixes this type of problem.

Unfortunately age and corrosion are big factors on a 30 year old game.

This is why people do complete restorations to bullet-proof them.

#1221 3 years ago

Weak switches and/or loose wires/bad diodes do this.
Generally, replacing switches and tightening up/checking the wires as well as refreshing connectors fixes this type of problem.
Unfortunately age and corrosion are big factors on a 30 year old game.
This is why people do complete restorations to bullet-proof them.

I ordered an MRS switch for the cup.
Will replace that and keep an eye on it.
I guess I'll just replace the other switches as needed.

#1222 3 years ago

Just joining club.
Purchased 8/15/20

Can anyone tell me how to set auto ball saver for first plung?
My wife and child demand it.
I usually give them a courtesy 7 seconds.

Thanks!

My second Diner
Last one was only 900 bucks but that was in 2009
Lol

#1223 3 years ago

I'm in need of a diner topper for my recently acquired Diner. Can paypal. Msg me with what you have please.

Behold, the nicest restored diner in the country and maybe the world. HEP has nothing on this resto!

117772383_986211165125660_8151462572770809330_o (resized).jpg117772383_986211165125660_8151462572770809330_o (resized).jpg118064958_986377335109043_5824515712779103064_o (resized).jpg118064958_986377335109043_5824515712779103064_o (resized).jpg
#1224 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

Just joining club.
Purchased 8/15/20
Can anyone tell me how to set auto ball saver for first plung?
My wife and child demand it.
I usually give them a courtesy 7 seconds.
Thanks!
My second Diner
Last one was only 900 bucks but that was in 2009
Lol

There is no ball save.

Its ok you get used to it.

#1225 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I'm in need of a diner topper for my recently acquired Diner. Can paypal. Msg me with what you have please.
Behold, the nicest restored diner in the country and maybe the world. HEP has nothing on this resto! [quoted image][quoted image]

Nice games!

#1226 3 years ago

There is no ball save.
Its ok you get used to it.

Ok. That's what I though.
Thank you

#1227 3 years ago

I have a question about flipper strength on Diner. I'm finding it almost impossible to make it up the right ramp unless I am extremely lucky. The cup shot that is supposed to be one of the most satisfying shot in all of pinball is all but impossible.

My game has brand new everything flipper related including flipper coils... and they both seem to work as they should. They're just not powerful enough in my opinion.

Is there a more power coil that can be used on the flippers that would solve my issue?

THANKS

IMG_20200819_122359 (resized).jpgIMG_20200819_122359 (resized).jpg
#1228 3 years ago

check these steps

system11/problem with flippers

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/

#1229 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I have a question about flipper strength on Diner. I'm finding it almost impossible to make it up the right ramp unless I am extremely lucky. The cup shot that is supposed to be one of the most satisfying shot in all of pinball is all but impossible.
My game has brand new everything flipper related including flipper coils... and they both seem to work as they should. They're just not powerful enough in my opinion.
Is there a more power coil that can be used on the flippers that would solve my issue?
THANKS
[quoted image]

Probably needs the EOS adjusted.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

THANKS
[quoted image]

What is the playfield pitch?
A clean shot easily goes up the ramp and makes the ball swirl around the cup many times.

A weak rattling shot can come right back down the ramp or barely make the cup.

Maybe check the flipper alignment angles against the holes in the playfield.

Shot geometry is a big deal on all games.

#1231 3 years ago

Gameplay question- do all the characters have speech on your machines? On mine Pepe doesn't and Boris and Buck share have the same speech. As far as I know I have the latest ROMs. Any thoughts/insights?

#1232 3 years ago
Quoted from Analogkid:

Gameplay question- do all the characters have speech on your machines? On mine Pepe doesn't and Boris and Buck share have the same speech. As far as I know I have the latest ROMs. Any thoughts/insights?

Yes, they all have unique speech callouts. I am not qualified to give you the tech advice for this issue, but I am sure others can. Maybe start a help thread if you need it. My only guess to look at would be checking the ribbon cable first?

#1233 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Probably needs the EOS adjusted.

I think you are right. TY

#1234 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

Try lowering the flipper position - I found that the position of the left flipper has a big impact on making the cup shot.

#1235 3 years ago
Quoted from mike200mph:

Diner Cups are back in stock if anyone needs
195.00+ shipping includes cup decal[quoted image][quoted image]

I just got mine today and it is stunning! It came packed extremely well and Mike was great to deal with so buy with confidence!!!

9F9267F6-1BFF-45DE-B8BA-876CAE9FF77D (resized).jpeg9F9267F6-1BFF-45DE-B8BA-876CAE9FF77D (resized).jpeg
#1236 3 years ago
Quoted from Pbpins:

I just got mine today and it is stunning! It came packed extremely well and Mike was great to deal with so buy with confidence!!!
[quoted image]

And don't forget to really make it pop buy adorning it with an MRS ...... don't put that silly cherry switch back on!

2 weeks later
#1237 3 years ago

does anyone have (or know where to buy) a new opto board for the drop targets? What about the drop targets and springs?

What is the number of the more powerful flipper coils to replace the standard one? Someone said they were orange instead of yellow?

#1238 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

does anyone have (or know where to buy) a new opto board for the drop targets? What about the drop targets and springs?
What is the number of the more powerful flipper coils to replace the standard one? Someone said they were orange instead of yellow?

Marcospecialties.com and pinballlife.com have all the parts you will need.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-13205-1

#1239 3 years ago

Marcospecialties.com and pinballlife.com have all the parts you will need.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-13205-1

thank you. Would I have to call them to find the 3 rubber grommets and 3 c-clips for each board?

#1240 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

thank you. Would I have to call them to find the 3 rubber grommets and 3 c-clips for each board?

the part numbers are in the manual.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/681/Williams_1990_Diner_Operations_Manual_June_1990_includes_schematics_OCR_searchable.pdf

#1241 3 years ago

Hi fellow Diner owners!

My Diner is missing the lift ramp. Some operator in the past replaced it with a crude plastic thing, which works reasonably well for now, but I really want to get a proper ramp for it.

Since I can't find a replacement anywhere, Freeplay40 has agreed to make me one, but to do that, I need to get the exact measurements off of a real one.

I'd appreciate it if someone currently shopping their Diner could take the exact measurements of the various ramp parts so that I can get a replacement made. Attached is a drawing of it.

Thanks!

ramp-needed (resized).pngramp-needed (resized).png
#1242 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Hi fellow Diner owners!
My Diner is missing the lift ramp. Some operator in the past replaced it with a crude plastic thing, which works reasonably well for now, but I really want to get a proper ramp for it.
Since I can't find a replacement anywhere, Freeplay40 has agreed to make me one, but to do that, I need to get the exact measurements off of a real one.
I'd appreciate it if someone currently shopping their Diner could take the exact measurements of the various ramp parts so that I can get a replacement made. Attached is a drawing of it.
Thanks!
[quoted image]

If you get one, i would like one also. I need a spare.

#1243 3 years ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

Hi fellow Diner owners!
Thanks!
[quoted image]

I’d be willing to bet that ramp is identical to the Pinbot ramps, just with the lifter on the opposite side. I have a pinbot ramp from Freeplay waiting for my restoration to start; i’ll tryband measure the Diner one and confirm this.

#1244 3 years ago

He made a one-off of this ramp for me. The braket was unique and he used my original. It came out really nice. He must have lost the dimensions from that one.

#1245 3 years ago

Hi Guys
Just a heads up the Cups are back in stock and I have plenty for anyone who Needs one.
Decals are Included with Cup ...
Thanks to all that have purchased & Glad I could be a Part of your restoration.

Mike

20200316_213758 (resized).jpg20200316_213758 (resized).jpg
#1246 3 years ago
Quoted from mike200mph:

Hi Guys
Just a heads up the Cups are back in stock and I have plenty for anyone who Needs one.
Decals are Included with Cup ...
Thanks to all that have purchased & Glad I could be a Part of your restoration.
Mike[quoted image]

AND!!!! Don't forget your ......well, you guys know the rest..... : )

Matt

#1247 3 years ago

I just put 2 blue coils in my diner and it made the game much more fun to play. Skip the orange and go right to the blue.

No broken plastics or drop targets yet!

#1248 3 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I just put 2 blue coils in my diner and it made the game much more fun to play. Skip the orange and go right to the blue.
No broken plastics or drop targets yet!

Honestly mine plays perfectly fine with stock coils. There is no shot that is not fast and smooth.

#1249 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Honestly mine plays perfectly fine with stock coils. There is no shot that is not fast and smooth.

Don and I had a little back and forth about this in a PM. I have long been frustrated that the cup shot is nearly impossible to score a satisfying number of spins off of. On my machine, it *cannot* be done from a cradle - you absolutely must do it on the fly, meaning making the ramp and then immediately nailing it *JUST RIGHT* if you're gonna get the big spins that are the point of the feature. I'm not the greatest player, but I'm not THAT BAD, and I have had this machine for 5 years. It's baffling, because I'm pretty sure I remember seeing the cup hit from a cradle in the PAPA tutorial.
YES, I have proper voltage to the flippers, YES, I have rebuilt the flippers according to Vid's GUide, YES I have replace the cabinet switches, YES the boards have been professionally serviced, YES I replaced the old flame-polished (read:warped and no longer smooth) ramps with a new set form Starship Fantasy. The game otherwise plays great, and YES I can sometimes pull off a 3MIL shot, but it has to be timed EXACTLY. Otherwise it's likelier to be 1-3 spins.

Orange coils were a marginal improvement, but I do have concerns about wailing on the drop targets and plastics.

Anyway...just wondering if others have had the same issues.

#1250 3 years ago

I had always assumed you had to "spin" the cup. I get 3 mil by nudging upwards in rhythm with the ball. You can do this without tilting. It doesn't take much on my machine. I have been playing it that way since my days as a teen in the arcade.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-clubowners-and-previous-owners-welcome/page/25?hl=cmjb13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.