(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,027 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

468C8358-514E-474B-A4FA-6B6A48BF4BB2 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230818_015224729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015217741 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015252906 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014723841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014721016 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014827026 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014807488 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015311263 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015303822 (resized).jpg
01_s11_ssd3.jpg
00_s11_ssd3.jpg
CA32A5DE-C882-43F7-A308-499962824623 (resized).jpeg
7169687A-9648-4094-8846-EE493B1739D9 (resized).jpeg
8767A2EA-C9E9-4E11-B57D-E6906F386A32 (resized).jpeg
A421D1B0-5878-42D8-98BD-4F680FEC5B6B (resized).jpeg
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 41.
#1001 4 years ago

I just joined the club!!

I've looked for a long time and I have to say this has been the most difficult seller I have ever encountered...but I finally have one!!!

I am missing the cash register and some other plastics. Does anyone have them or a lead on where to get them?

#1002 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just joined the club!!
I've looked for a long time and I have to say this has been the most difficult seller I have ever encountered...but I finally have one!!!
I am missing the cash register and some other plastics. Does anyone have them or a lead on where to get them?

Show us pics of your new game!

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just joined the club!!

Congrats Thomas! And welcome to the club!

Quoted from pinballinreno:

Show us pics of your new game!

Yes when you get a second post some pics

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

missing the cash register

That's going to be tough.

Might have to make one, it's just a little metal box with a decal and cutout for the lights.

Plastics are easy to get.

#1005 4 years ago
Message_1570765733244 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765733244 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765819076 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765819076 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765764341 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765764341 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765790728 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765790728 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765838246 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765838246 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765857684 (resized).jpgMessage_1570765857684 (resized).jpg
#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! That playfield looks great!
Way better than mine.

That game looks like it will clean up beautifully.

Great find.

#1007 4 years ago

The cash register is kind of an odd thing to be missing.

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from SewerUrchin:

The cash register is kind of an odd thing to be missing.

Agree. The guy says he has it somewhere...but he has no clue. He didn't remember half the stuff he had.

#1009 4 years ago

I need the middle plastic if anyone can steer me in the right direction.

Also, what goes on the green circle area behind the back glass? (Pic for reference)

Screenshot_20191011-005806~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20191011-005806~2 (resized).png
#1010 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I need the middle plastic if anyone can steer me in the right direction.
Also, what goes on the green circle area behind the back glass? (Pic for reference)[quoted image]

The clock stopper motor. Interrupter and clock decal?

It looks like you might have the opto pc-board installed only, just missing some parts.

Better pics front and back would be a help.

#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Agree. The guy says he has it somewhere...but he has no clue. He didn't remember half the stuff he had.

I would definitely press him for the cash register. It might be unobtanium.

#1012 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me the count and types of LEDs that are in Diner?

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Can anyone tell me the count and types of LEDs that are in Diner?

I would use only 2smd sunlight color. Frosted lens from comet.

Get 100 each of the 555 and 44 base style.

#1014 4 years ago

I would use only 2smd sunlight color. Frosted lens from comet.
Get 100 each of the 555 and 44 base style.

I always use comet frosted sunlight. I'm just not sure if how many of each style (47, 555, 906)

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I always use comet frosted sunlight. I'm just not sure if how many of each style (47, 555, 906)

I just buy the bulk packs of 100.
I always use them up and order more lol.

5smd cool white towers for the 906 bulbs, buy 25 at a time.

I only get a few of the 8smd cool white replacements for the 89 bulbs.
There seems to be only 1 or 2 in a game.

#1016 4 years ago

I need to touch up the cab on my diner. Does anyone know which brand of paints and what color code/style match the best?

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I need to touch up the cab on my diner. Does anyone know which brand of paints and what color code/style match the best?

The cab was stenciled but you can get a decal set for about the cost of materials for stenciling.

Check out all the krylon colors.
They have generally been a good match for colors and original style if paint

Krylon semi gloss for the black

1 week later
#1019 4 years ago

Is there a guide for System 11 playfield removal? I have pulled many playfields on early Bally SS machines, but not on a System 11 before. At first glance it looks like there are 20+ connectors to remove all over the back box. It looks like I should separate the cabinet harnesses from the playfield ones, the whole mess is tie wrapped together and I would rather leave things connected that can stay that way.

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Is there a guide for System 11 playfield removal? I have pulled many playfields on early Bally SS machines, but not on a System 11 before. At first glance it looks like there are 20+ connectors to remove all over the back box. It looks like I should separate the cabinet harnesses from the playfield ones, the whole mess is tie wrapped together and I would rather leave things connected that can stay that way.

Remove as many wire ties as necessary to separate the harnesses to make the job easier, but it shouldn't be super necessary unless someone way over did it.

Label the connectors with a sharpie for easy reassembly.

Disconnect the playfied ones. Stuff them into the cabinet.

Some wires go to the power harness, not the playfield.

Put the game on the ground (with legs off) to make it easier to remove the playfield.

You wont have to lift it as high.

#1021 4 years ago

Does anyone know what size/type the screws in the sling star posts are?

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Does anyone know what size/type the screws in the sling star posts are?

Are they listed in the manual?

#1023 4 years ago

Remove as many wire ties as necessary to separate the harnesses to make the job easier, but it shouldn't be super necessary unless someone way over did it.
Label the connectors with a sharpie for easy reassembly.
Disconnect the playfield ones. Stuff them into the cabinet.

Sounds like you are confirming the need to separate cabinet harnesses from playfield ones where they dangle down out of the head.

Any idea how many connectors I will have removed when I do it? There seem to be switch strobes and returns all times 2, lighting matrix, solenoid power lines.

3 weeks later
#1024 4 years ago

Guys: I have a couple leads on a diner. However, they both really need shopped.

I know it's relative to experience, but how difficult is the shop out on diner?

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

It's no more difficult than any other game.

I find it easier to work on with the playfield removed and put on my rotisserie. For a total tear down.

#1026 4 years ago

Diner is def one of the more involved Sys11 as a tear down and shop. I just finished a playfield swap. There are lots of mechs under the playfield that need to be torn down cleaned and so forth.

But an freshly shopped machine always plays so great.

#1027 4 years ago

It would just be top side.

#1028 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I would say removing the ramps is easy but you need to make sure you know how the flaps on the top end of the left ramp connect to the continued ramp behind it for instance. The other ramps are fiddly but not hard. Removing the cup is challenging and you need to move the play field forward several inches. You will spend a huge amount of time not getting at things until the playfield is moved.

Cleaning the mechanism underneath is pretty straightforward but 2 things to keep in mind. On mine after changing the sleeve on the under playfield shooter lane mechanism, it got so strong it was firing the ball into the jukebox. I had already thrown out the sleeve so I had to limit its travel to slow it down. On the ramp diverter, that solenoid plunger needs to bottom out fully or the diverter sits there and makes a loud buzz whenever it operates.

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I would say removing the ramps is easy but you need to make sure you know how the flaps on the top end of the left ramp connect to the continued ramp behind it for instance. The other ramps are fiddly but not hard. Removing the cup is challenging and you need to move the play field forward several inches. You will spend a huge amount of time not getting at things until the playfield is moved.
Cleaning the mechanism underneath is pretty straightforward but 2 things to keep in mind. On mine after changing the sleeve on the under playfield shooter lane mechanism, it got so strong it was firing the ball into the jukebox. I had already thrown out the sleeve so I had to limit its travel to slow it down. On the ramp diverter, that solenoid plunger needs to bottom out fully or the diverter sits there and makes a loud buzz whenever it operates.

Maybe a weaker shooter spring..?
Mine had the wrong spring in it.

#1030 4 years ago

Maybe a weaker shooter spring..?
Mine had the wrong spring in it.

I am talking about the under playfield shooter. The solenoid suddenly got a lot stronger with a clean sleeve. The spring is just a recoil spring to push the plunger back.

#1031 4 years ago

Blackbeard, take care the playfield doesn’t have raised “DINER” and customer inserts. Otherwise, fixing that will be the most important task of your shopout.

#1032 4 years ago
Quoted from sawbill:

Blackbeard, take care the playfield doesn’t have raised “DINER” and customer inserts. Otherwise, fixing that will be the most important task of your shopout.

The few I’ve been offered have raised inserts. Isn’t it somewhat easy to heat them from below and push them down?

#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

The few I’ve been offered have raised inserts. Isn’t it somewhat easy to heat them from below and push them down?

I suspect most of them have this issue. They won't stay if you push them down, on mine it was quite severe and you could flex them down visibly quite easily. What saved the playfield was the factory mylar that just tented up with the inserts. I followed Vid1900's approach to fix them. Removed light sockets and things in the way. I roughened up the perimeter wall of the insert just a bit (did not touch the part we see through). Applied 2 part epoxy underneath where the insert meets the wood around the perimeter using a cheap plumbing flux brush. Placed wax paper over the insert, just in case, then a small hardwood block. Did a similar block underneath and used a deep throat C clamp to hold in place until cured. I did two inserts at a time this way. I got mine down very close to level, no more fly balls hitting the flippers.

#1034 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I roughened up the perimeter wall of the insert just a bit

Trying to visualize this. Are you talking about roughening up the parimeter wall of the insert itself (the small part protruding above the pf) OR are you talking about the parimeter wall of the insert hole of the pf, underneath the pf?

#1035 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Trying to visualize this. Are you talking about roughening up the parimeter wall of the insert itself (the small part protruding above the pf) OR are you talking about the parimeter wall of the insert hole of the pf, underneath the pf?

EDIT: scanned vids how-to. I think you mean you actually popped out the insert, roughed up the edge, epoxied, and then clamped.

Do you always have to pop it out? Or can you just heat it up, push it down, glue and clamp? Or will this not be adequate?

#1036 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

EDIT: scanned vids how-to. I think you mean you actually popped out the insert, roughed up the edge, epoxied, and then clamped.
Do you always have to pop it out? Or can you just heat it up, push it down, glue and clamp? Or will this not be adequate?

No need to pop anything out unless the whole thing is loose. On mine, the ends towards the bottom of the playfield were still bonded. The upper ends were disconnected and they had all ramped upward.

What I meant is I roughed up the vertical walls of the inserts. I then put epoxy bridging the vertical sidewall of the inserts onto the wood of the playfield.

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

No need to pop anything out unless the whole thing is loose. On mine, the ends towards the bottom of the playfield were still bonded. The upper ends were disconnected and they had all ramped upward.
What I meant is I roughed up the vertical walls of the inserts. I then put epoxy bridging the vertical sidewall of the inserts onto the wood of the playfield.

I think I see.

So you roughed up the edges of the insert sticking up out of
The pf, then applied epoxy underneath, and clamped them back down?

Also: when doing this, doesn’t it leave a line around the insert edge where it lifted and broke the old art/any clear the pf had? I supposed a black paint pen could conceal that break in the edge.

#1039 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I think I see.
So you roughed up the edges of the insert sticking up out of
The pf, then applied epoxy underneath, and clamped them back down?
Also: when doing this, doesn’t it leave a line around the insert edge where it lifted and broke the old art/any clear the pf had? I supposed a black paint pen could conceal that break in the edge.

I wish I had a good photo. 100% of everything is from below the playfield, hopefully the diagram makes it clear.

Insert (resized).jpgInsert (resized).jpg
#1040 4 years ago

Makes sense now. I see youre roughing up the inside of the insert's edges. I was thinking the outside edge..

#1041 4 years ago

Hate to throw this out there during this tech talk. I have a chance to buy a diamond pf diner in excellent condition. 3k. Thoughts.?

#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

Hate to throw this out there during this tech talk. I have a chance to buy a diamond pf diner in excellent condition. 3k. Thoughts.?

My thoughts are I'm jealous and if you pass, I'd like to buy it.

#1043 4 years ago

Well Im new to the Diner experience.
I played once in a tournament it was the first game in a pre determined line-up.
I was first and had three quick drainers.

I really like all system 11s. Ive had Dr Dude, big guns jokerz.
I own a non working road kings.

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

I am not sure I understand, a Diner with a diamond plate PF (good deal), or just the PF for $3k (terrible deal).

#1045 4 years ago
Quoted from vassq:

3k is a good price!
Should make for a great restoration candidate.

#1046 4 years ago

Any news on the Coffee Cup. My restoration is waiting on this part?

1 week later
#1047 4 years ago

Somebody can help me? How can I pull the Coffee Cup from the wood frame? Any advice?
I want to clean and some inspection, so it needs to remove off the play field. I think now must remove the back panel I try to avoid removing.

cup (resized).jpgcup (resized).jpg
#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from onlydjz:

Somebody can help me? How can I pull the Coffee Cup from the wood frame? Any advice?
I want to clean and some inspection, so it needs to remove off the play field. I think now must remove the back panel I try to avoid removing.[quoted image]

Yes, you have to remove the back panel.

#1049 4 years ago

The metal flap in the shooter lane on my Diner is pretty badly corroded. I imagine this is a common problem - is there a way to improve the look of it (as I start on my CPR swap)? Or is there a source for a replacement? I see that Pinbits lists that part on their site but no longer has them in stock.

#1050 4 years ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

The metal flap in the shooter lane on my Diner is pretty badly corroded. I imagine this is a common problem - is there a way to improve the look of it (as I start on my CPR swap)? Or is there a source for a replacement? I see that Pinbits lists that part on their site but no longer has them in stock.

It is made from the same thin metal stock as are used at the base of ramps. It cuts well with scissors I made my own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-clubowners-and-previous-owners-welcome/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.