Successfully completed my first pinball maintenance task tonight. Feeling great about it. I’ve had an issue with the ramp lift not opening to get the ball lock. It has been trying and sometimes does it, but mostly not.
After pouring over the manual and lifting up the Playfield to try and figure out what I was looking at under there and overwhelmed at just how many parts make up that unit, I slowed down and reassessed. Instead of going all out and buying completely new mechanisms altogether I decided to shoot conservative and just focus on the things that would most likely wear out: coil sleeve, springs, and a lift crank lock plate. I went ahead and got some new clips and washers too mostly so I would have some but why not make everything a little fresh.
Man, that lift assembly rod that physically lifts the ramp is a pain to get out of there. I had to remove the plastic along the side and the cash register in order to actually get in there enough to unscrew the nut (I had hoped to not have to do all that). Underneath the mechanism was alright but the joints were greased up from a previous owner. I took it all apart and cleaned it. Fresh sleeve and springs. That tiny spring on casing around the smaller coil promptly shot across the room. So glad I bought two just in case! On closer assessment the lift crank lock plate probably wasn’t worn enough to really affect the mechanism but I traded it out anyway since I had one.
Anyway, it was a chore to put back together but I got it built back and then tested it before re-screwing all the plastics and ramps. It worked! My ramp lift will open for multiball lock once again! I’m also feeling good about my first mechanical troubleshoot as an owner. Next step will be flipper rebuilding!