(Topic ID: 50275)

Diner Owners Club...Can I Take Your Order ?

By Pinballgeek

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,027 posts
  • 230 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Sonic
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

468C8358-514E-474B-A4FA-6B6A48BF4BB2 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230818_015224729 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015217741 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015252906 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014723841 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014721016 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014827026 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_014807488 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015311263 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230818_015303822 (resized).jpg
01_s11_ssd3.jpg
00_s11_ssd3.jpg
CA32A5DE-C882-43F7-A308-499962824623 (resized).jpeg
7169687A-9648-4094-8846-EE493B1739D9 (resized).jpeg
8767A2EA-C9E9-4E11-B57D-E6906F386A32 (resized).jpeg
A421D1B0-5878-42D8-98BD-4F680FEC5B6B (resized).jpeg
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 41.
#551 6 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Anyone have a old diner playfield ?
I have a nos diamond plate playfield
But has no dimples ,
Thanks,

This is a helluva find! Wow.

#552 6 years ago

My ringer/bell hasn't worked since I got the game. Is there something specific I should be looking for? I'll take it apart once this tournament I'm hosting is over, but from the last time I was in there a visual inspection didn't show anything obvious like a broken wire or hammer fallen off the coil.

#553 6 years ago

Diner has a ringer or bell ? Where is it ? I don't think mine has one.

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Diner has a ringer or bell ? Where is it ? I don't think mine has one.

Derp. That’s what I get for trying to do two things at once. Off to the Taxi thread I go.

2 weeks later
#555 6 years ago

Still stumped as to why the ball can go under the left ramp, pause, and then register as a drain. Just went into switch test and clicked that switch ~50 times and it registered as the proper switch each time.

#556 6 years ago

my impression is microswitches do not always just fail suddenly, but that it is a slow process. In some cases it‘s best just to replace the switch (assuming the obvious things have already been checked).

btw - I‘m still not clear what you meant with bell or ringer in your previous post.

#557 6 years ago

I had the switch in the cup fail in a similar way. As you know finally getting the ball swirling around should be met with cool sounds and a good score. In mine I could test it manually fine but the ball speed seemed to make it random. Finally switched it out and problem solved. Just need to get better at playing now.

#558 6 years ago

What setting do people use for the outlane spacing? I swear this game dumps more unsaveable balls into the outlanes than any other. I have never narrowed the outlane spacing on any game but on this game I am tempted. I find ball control after ricocheting off the sling shots really tough on Diner and I lose many balls into the outlanes from that alone. This game is hard.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

my impression is microswitches do not always just fail suddenly, but that it is a slow process. In some cases it‘s best just to replace the switch (assuming the obvious things have already been checked).
btw - I‘m still not clear what you meant with bell or ringer in your previous post.

Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I had the switch in the cup fail in a similar way. As you know finally getting the ball swirling around should be met with cool sounds and a good score. In mine I could test it manually fine but the ball speed seemed to make it random. Finally switched it out and problem solved. Just need to get better at playing now.

I agree, but the outhole switch is not on the same row or column as the lock, or lower left kickout, or whatever they want to call it. If the switch is failing, why wouldn't it just not register and then have to wait for a ball search?

#560 6 years ago

I agree, registering as a drain is pretty weird.

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Still stumped as to why the ball can go under the left ramp, pause, and then register as a drain. Just went into switch test and clicked that switch ~50 times and it registered as the proper switch each time.

If it's in fact true that all your hardware checks out good, its likely that you have a logic glitch. Most of those issues are resolved with a simple RAM clear... Turn off, unplug, pull batteries, wait 2-3 mins, reinsert batteries, plug in, turn on, re-adjust settings.

#562 6 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

If it's in fact true that all your hardware checks out good, its likely that you have a logic glitch. Most of those issues are resolved with a simple RAM clear... Turn off, unplug, pull batteries, wait 2-3 mins, reinsert batteries, plug in, turn on, re-adjust settings.

That would be very interesting indeed. I'll have to jot down my settings and do this next time I'm at the location.

#563 6 years ago

Hello All,

If anyone here in the group has time to confirm the wiring connections on the center 3 bank drop target assembly I would greatly appreciate it. I see my connection has been changed. My issue is that I am unable to get the hotdog switch to be recognized when the target drops in test or play, all other switches work. Either I have an opto out on the board or the wiring on the connection is wrong. Opto board has no cold solder joints.

Any ideas or a pic of a wiring harness on a working center 3 bank drop target may help.

Thank you in advance.

0324180952 (resized).jpg0324180952 (resized).jpg

0324180952_Burst01 (resized).jpg0324180952_Burst01 (resized).jpg

#564 6 years ago

Here's mine.

IMG_20180325_073837 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_073837 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180325_073830 (resized).jpgIMG_20180325_073830 (resized).jpg

#565 6 years ago

Thank you so much. Gives me something to compare. GREATLY Appreciated!!!!!

2 weeks later
#566 6 years ago

What sort of extra ball settings are people using? I like to set a scoring threshold where I get an extra ball, the manual seems to say 6,000,000. I would like to have more than one level but my Diner at least will not allow anything larger than 9,800,000 and having that and 4,900,000 seems like it makes the game too easy.

#567 6 years ago

I just got my first pinball machine, Diner, and I am loving it and will have lot of questions. First, when I make the cup shot, it only seems to register a score with every 2nd revolution around the cup. So the first will get 250k, 3rd 500k, 5th 750k etc. I have tried activating the switch manually and it does the same thing, every 2nd switch closing does not advance the score. Is this normal? Also, I see the sometimes the "extra ball" is lit in one of the out lanes but I have not figured out what does it, any ideas? Thanks.

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Wow! Thanks! I got a few more issues hope you can help me here:
#1 During game play, sometimes maybe like 1 out of 10 times, when I shoot the ball into the "Today's Special" hole/kicker on the right side, the ball will just sit there until the game starts firing all the solenoids looking for the ball. Once that happens, the ball is automatically shot up the PF and game is back to normal. It is as if the coil just doesn't sense the ball is there at all. The other 9 times, everything works perfectly. Any suggestions please?
#2 Sometimes during gameplay, the diverter on the right ramp will begin to flutter/shake/vibrate like crazy for about 2 seconds and stop. Before and after everything works perfectly. Any idea why that happens? Any suggestions on how to fix it?
#3 I'm trying to clean and wax the area of the coffee cup. How do you remove the coffee cup? From the back area of the PF? Does the PF have to be removed? Any suggestions please?
#4 Last but not least. Can the PF be rotates 90 degrees and rest it on the backbox? I tried doing that but there are so many wires down there that it sort of prevents me from doing that. I don't want to force it and accidentally disconnect wires or something worse. What do you think? See picture. Thanks!

I have the same issue as #1, did anyone reply with ideas? #4 - my play field can rotate to just over 90 degrees and there is a stop on each side of the cabinet that stops it from resting on the backbox. Thanks.

#569 6 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I just got my first pinball machine, #Diner, and I am loving it and will have lot of questions. First, when I make the cup shot, it only seems to register a score with every 2nd revolution around the cup. So the first will get 250k, 3rd 500k, 5th 750k etc. I have tried activating the switch manually and it does the same thing, every 2nd switch closing does not advance the score. Is this normal? Also, I see the sometimes the "extra ball" is lit in one of the out lanes but I have not figured out what does it, any ideas? Thanks.

It is supposed to score like that. You will notice that after 2,500,000 it will score on every turn until a maximum of 3,500,000.

#570 6 years ago

great first game.

#571 5 years ago

I have noticed that the E-A-T lights above the cup are only working intermittently on my machine. If I reach behind and jiggle the connector on the board that mounts the lights they will come on but after a bit of play time they are out again. Can anyone advise how to get at that circuit board? It seems like I will have to take a ton of stuff off the play field to get at it.

#572 5 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I have noticed that the E-A-T lights above the cup are only working intermittently on my machine. If I reach behind and jiggle the connector on the board that mounts the lights they will come on but after a bit of play time they are out again. Can anyone advise how to get at that circuit board? It seems like I will have to take a ton of stuff off the play field to get at it.

Tip the playfield up vertical, lift the playfield up out of the slots and sit it back down on the back of the slotted brackets. You can then lower it down but now the playfield can be slid forward another 6" or so when it is lowered. There is a light or two you have to watch when you do slide it forward. Then the back panel is quite a bit more accessible.

The non-obvious part is how to lift the playfield. I stand in front of the machine elbows on the side rails. I pry upward with my arms to lift it.

#573 5 years ago

once you can remove that board, just need to reflow solder on those male pins most likely.

#574 5 years ago

Thanks guys! My first successful solder job! The connector had been torqued and broken the pins free from the solder. Reflowed them and it works perfectly. Cheers!

IMG_0485 (resized).JPGIMG_0485 (resized).JPG

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

Thanks guys! My first successful solder job! The connector had been torqued and broken the pins free from the solder. Reflowed them and it works perfectly. Cheers!

#576 5 years ago

after i figured out you have to tin your tip, soldering became pretty easy .

#577 5 years ago

This morning I broke the wire gate above the spinner. I checked the manual and it refers to part number 12-6924 but the wire that broke looks different from the photo on marcospecialties.com, see photos. Mine had one "loop", the marco photo shows two. Can anyone confirm which one is correct? Also, how the heck do I get at this thing to replace it as it is buried under a ton of stuff? Thanks.

12-6924 marco (resized).jpg12-6924 marco (resized).jpg

IMG_9557 (resized).JPGIMG_9557 (resized).JPG

#578 5 years ago

Ok, my observant son pointed out that I was looking at the wrong gate in the manual, it is 12-6565 and the picture matches the wire so that answers question 1. Question 2 still holds - how do I get at this gate?

#579 5 years ago

That is a tough one to get to, you have to remove the ramp which is pretty tangled up with the cup. My machine came with it missing, I cloned the one on the left side which a mirror image. I just used piano wire and pliers.

#580 5 years ago

Thanks for the insight. Once I figured out how to release the cup diverter from the solenoid that drives it I was able to get the ramp off. Conveniently a bicycle spoke is the perfect wire gauge and I was able to Mcgyver a new one that seems to work perfectly.

1 week later
#581 5 years ago

I am cleaning up the clock on my machine and I am wondering about the start position and how to adjust it. When I start a new game the hand is at about 1:20, I'm guessing it should be at 1:00? To adjust I see a set screw on holding the clock face to the stepper motor shaft, can anyone advise how to set the position properly or adjust it? I see the flag for the opto but it is fixed in relation to the clock hands so I don't know moving the clock on the shaft will make any difference as I expect it is the opto that sets the position? The notch on the clock face sticker is aligned with the notch on the wheel. Thanks.

#582 5 years ago

Anyone know where i can get a repro cabinet for Diner? I just picked one up and the cabinet is shot.

Thanks

#583 5 years ago

I asked above but I think it got lost in the noise. What score setting do people use for getting a free ball. I would like to get more than one free ball based on score but everything has to fit underneath 9,800,000 which is low.

#584 5 years ago
Quoted from Deleenhe:

I am cleaning up the clock on my machine and I am wondering about the start position and how to adjust it. When I start a new game the hand is at about 1:20, I'm guessing it should be at 1:00? To adjust I see a set screw on holding the clock face to the stepper motor shaft, can anyone advise how to set the position properly or adjust it? I see the flag for the opto but it is fixed in relation to the clock hands so I don't know moving the clock on the shaft will make any difference as I expect it is the opto that sets the position? The notch on the clock face sticker is aligned with the notch on the wheel. Thanks.

Your assumptions are correct. The hand will never hit every hour dead perfect, but if the hand is equally off on each number, the only way to adjust the clock hand to the backglass is to remove, rotate and remount the entire clock assembly on the insert panel. And there is only a very tiny amount of room to move it.

1 week later
#585 5 years ago

Anyone have a U42 PIA failure on their Diner? I just did and would appreciate some advice troubleshooting it. I can't imagine it is related but we had some new circuits ran for the machines and it threw it upon restart.

1 week later
#586 5 years ago

Some friends of mine asked if I could make one Diner plastic for the , this one. I have a couple extras. They’re not perfect but they’d look way better than one that is beat to pieces which I’m told these often are. I can do $12 each shipped in the US for them.

74F66C62-CB80-4B2A-B36A-E7FF8AA1AE86 (resized).jpeg74F66C62-CB80-4B2A-B36A-E7FF8AA1AE86 (resized).jpeg

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Some friends of mine asked if I could make one Diner plastic for the , this one. I have a couple extras. They’re not perfect but they’d look way better than one that is beat to pieces which I’m told these often are. I can do $12 each shipped in the US for them.

PM sent

4 weeks later
#588 5 years ago

Freeplay40 announced that he is asking anyone interested in buying a repro diner lift ramp to tell him in the below forum. For those that aren’t aware of Mark (freeplay40), he makes reproduction ramps for the pinball community.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freeplay40-ramps/page/49#post-4468541

1 week later
#589 5 years ago

I replaced my display board with an X-pin. Any input on what a non-working original display should be listed for in the marketplace?

3 weeks later
#590 5 years ago

I can't seem to understand how to get into lamp or solenoid manual diagnostics. I can get into auto burn in. What am I missing?

1 month later
#591 5 years ago

Sweet. It looks like Diner pf has graduated from the preorder list, and is now being made.

Diner (resized).JPGDiner (resized).JPG

Now we just need the coffee cup to be re-run. Or if anyone has a spare, let me know.

#592 5 years ago

Wow, that's great news! Considering it's been quite a long time spent on the "gathering interest" stage.

#593 5 years ago

Hello fellow Diner owners, I’m looking for a little bit of help. You can see from the two photos of my ramp that the flexible hinge was repaired; and although functional, it is kind of cobbled together. So I would like to restore it back to one piece of spring steel sheet and riveted, but I don’t have any drawings or a reference to compare against.
Would you be able to help me by providing dimensions of the overall length of the spring steel strip, and the hole to hole spacing (or the distance between bracket and ramp)?

3A2ADAF6-11B4-435A-8AD8-EBEFE501F587 (resized).jpeg3A2ADAF6-11B4-435A-8AD8-EBEFE501F587 (resized).jpegF9FAAB4C-38E3-4106-8C27-77D4CA534521 (resized).jpegF9FAAB4C-38E3-4106-8C27-77D4CA534521 (resized).jpeg
#594 5 years ago

I recently made a new one from blue spring steel. I don't have any pictures handy though. Your patched version is the right size, you really only need it to rivet to the flap, the bracket and extend a short way into the plastic ball trough/ramp. I madde mine with scissors and riveted it in place. I used the scissors to round the corners like the original. You can do all that, leave the ramp end a bit long and trim it to size while test fitting it.

#595 5 years ago

Hi BJM-Maxx, Thank you for the response, especially your advice to leave the ramp end long and then trim after a test fit.

#596 5 years ago

I should let y’all know that I got a drawing for the spring steel part off of the Freeplay40 Ramps thread. In case anyone is interested...

#597 5 years ago

I picked up a Diner that I am looking to restore. The cabinet is completely shot. Does anyone know if there is another Pinball machine cabinet I can use as a donor cabinet to replace my damaged one. Were there other Williams Pinballs that used the same base cabinet?

Thanks

#598 5 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

I picked up a Diner that I am looking to restore. The cabinet is completely shot. Does anyone know if there is another Pinball machine cabinet I can use as a donor cabinet to replace my damaged one. Were there other Williams Pinballs that used the same base cabinet?

Thanks

Any Williams System 11C game cabinet will work (Rollergames, for example).

#599 5 years ago

I’m installing plastics, and there is a plastic that I don’t know where it goes. Does anyone recognize this plastic part?

EA851C43-266B-4701-9DE8-F8EA46F3CEC1 (resized).jpegEA851C43-266B-4701-9DE8-F8EA46F3CEC1 (resized).jpeg
#600 5 years ago
Quoted from sawbill:

I’m installing plastics, and there is a plastic that I don’t know where it goes. Does anyone recognize this plastic part?[quoted image]

It goes:
just to the left of the cup,
behind the ramp,
underneath the plastic that says "sorry the diner is always open"

It is oriented with the large notch pointed towards the backbox.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,027 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-clubowners-and-previous-owners-welcome/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.