Stepper_567-571_(resized).jpg
p1compare_(resized).jpg
DinerP1_(resized).jpg
20151230_202242_(resized).jpg
20151231_194441_(resized).jpg
20151231_193327_(resized).jpg
stepper-conn_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi all, so I just noticed an issue on my Diner table last night which I only noticed because I had recorded my game play and during review of that footage I noticed two issues with the clock. First, when a game starts rather than spin counterclockwise and stop at 1pm, mine will spin clockwise and stop at 5pm. Then during gameplay when dine time is advanced, rather than spin clockwise an hour to add a million to the dine time value, it will spin counterclockwise and move back an hour. It's basically spinning the opposite way it's supposed to everytime.

So it's on warranty and all but I got the ok from my restorer dude to try and fix the issue myself as I'm getting more and more curious about tinkering with these games, so I figured I'd give it s shot so long as I don't butcher it of course and void my warranty. The clock mechanism is simple enough to remove and I took a look at it. There don't seem to be any cold solder joints as far as I can see, and I cleaned the opto just in case but the opto seems to be working well anyways since it always stops at exact hour marks, but the darned thing is just spinning backwards. Likewise the clock wheel doesn't seem to be slipping either. I thought maybe a polarity is reversed someplace perhaps, maybe that would make the clock spin backwards but I'm not sure how to check for that.

Aside from that there isn't much to the clock, the rest is just a small board of parts which all seem well soldered on there, so not sure what else to look for. As always any ideas are appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

I don't know how the clock works...by a motor? If so that usually means the wires are reversed...or a connection is on reversed.

#3 8 years ago

How many wires are on the motor? Could the connector be on backwards reversing the polarity?

#4 8 years ago

Yeah it's a basic motor without any serviceable parts on it, it's real small. There's a 6 pin connector connecting it to the rest of the electronics in the game, and there's another 6 pin cable connecting it to the clock itself. I thought maybe a connector was reversed but the connectors themselves can only be inserted one way because one pin is missing/blocked, and the numbers on the connector pins all match up to the numbers on the board itself. I'll add some pictures a bit later today to document the process. Perhaps two of the wires are inverted on one of the connectors, but I'm not sure what each wire does or how to even test that. Anyways I'll double check it all tonight and add some pics to this thread as well.

#5 8 years ago

The manual should hopefully have a pinout for you on the connector.

#6 8 years ago

its the back to the future time travel mod? just make a delorean topper for it!

#7 8 years ago

Couldn't find a pinout list in the manual alas. On page 69 it shows all the clock board parts and both P1 and P2 connectors, but not their pinouts. Maybe it's buried in there someplace though like in the schematics, have to keep looking.

#8 8 years ago

All WPC steppermotor-boards have the same pinout and it looks like this sys11 board is not any differrent.
Here you go:

stepper-conn_(resized).jpgstepper-conn_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

Awesome thanks for that, yeah that definitely looks like the clock board. I also did find on page 98 of the schematics where it lists GRY-YEL being +12 volts to the clock motor, and BLK-YEL being ground for the clock motor. So using your picture which shows the pins on the P1 connector for 12v and ground, I can see if the colors of the wires are correct and I can use my multimeter to measure if it's actually getting +12v. If that all checks out ok then maybe its the A and B pins on P1 that are swapped. If I understand bipolar stepper motors correctly, flipping those two pins would reverse the direction of the motor. Maybe it's as simple as that, not sure, but at least I have something to explore, I'll follow up once I get around to testing these things although not likely tonight.

#10 8 years ago

Ok, here is a little explanation about the stepper motor board.
The board is always on a 12Volt supply. The motor only starts to rotate if data A+B are pulsed in a correct order (table with X and L), lets say, every time a degree per step. This way, the 2 coils of the motor are given 4 different states per duty cycle.

So what causes the motor to rotate the wrong way ?
-Maybe inputs A and B are swapped or
-Half of the transistors or IC doesn't work and the motor starts vibrating and eventually starts rotating a direction, could be both directions or
- motor has been replaced and wrong plugged.

hope you can use this

#11 8 years ago

Yeah that is helpful, how about the pins on P2 labelled "coil 1" and "coil 2"? Could it be possible that wires "A" and "B" on P1 are wired correct, but those coil wires on P2 are the ones that are setup wrong? Incidentally I did check the 12v and ground on P1 and the colors were correct matching the schematic, and I did measure +12v to the clock board so that is all correct as well. So I need to focus on either the "A" and "B" wires on P1 as the possible culprit, or perhaps the "coil 1" and "coil 2" wires on P2 being the culprits. I'm not sure it would be ic failure because the board performs consistently, it always changes an hour when it's support to, resets when it's supposed to, etc, it's just going backwards. I suppose it could be the motor itself, I'll keep that as an option as well. I attached a pic of my P2 connector, if anyone out there has a Diner can you check if your wire colors match the order of mine?

20151231_193327_(resized).jpg20151231_193327_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Could it be possible that wires "A" and "B" on P1 are wired correct, but those coil wires on P2 are the ones that are setup wrong?

Yes, very well possible. The connector doesn't look 25 years old so it could be installed wrong.
You can remove the key-pin of P2 (motor) and plug it backwards to see what happens. It won't harm the electronic components.

#13 8 years ago

Do you need a special tool to pop that key-pin out?

#14 8 years ago

Not really, from bottom-side you can peel it out with a knife or from top-side with a little screwdriver or needle push it out.

#15 8 years ago

Awesome, it's fixed! I removed that key-pin from P2 and plugged it in the other way, and now the clock works perfect. It spins to 1pm at the start and it advanced correctly 1 hour at a time by spinning clockwise, I tested it until it went all the way back around to noon. My guess is the issue is likely that the "A" and "B" pins are reversed on P1, I attached a pic of P1 and pins 4 and 5 which are the "A" and "B" pins are very similar in color so those are easy to mixup on a rebuild. Those are more of a pain to fix though so I'll leave my fix as is for now with a note on the clock of what I did. In the future I can have flip pins 4 and 5 on P1 for a more proper fix and plug in P2 correctly. For now my reversal of P2 solution will do. Thanks for all the help!

20151231_194441_(resized).jpg20151231_194441_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago

I'll add one more picture just for documentation purposes, this is the back of the clock on my Diner. The P1 connector is on the right, that brings power, etc from the pinball table to the clock board and the P2 connector is on the left, that one connects the coils to the stepper motor on the clock. That left connector is the one I reversed.

20151230_202242_(resized).jpg20151230_202242_(resized).jpg

#17 8 years ago

Good thread, having a similar problem with a Diner clock and funny thing, I'm probably less than a few miles from you.

#18 8 years ago

Cool, sometimes the solution is so simple and indeed input 'A' and 'B' can be reversed in the future.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Good thread, having a similar problem with a Diner clock and funny thing, I'm probably less than a few miles from you.

Go figure, maybe there's something in the water around here.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

If you get a chance, could you take a pic of your P2 connector? I'm curious if your wire color order matches mine. If so then that would also point to the A/B pins being reversed on my P1 connector.

#21 8 years ago

Unfortunately, the Diner I'm working on is completely torn-down for restoration, no way to test the board or connections right now...should be about a month before I have it back together, but here's a pic:

DinerP1_(resized).jpgDinerP1_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

Unfortunately, the Diner I'm working on is completely torn-down for restoration, no way to test the board or connections right now...should be about a month before I have it back together, but here's a pic:

DinerP1_(resized).jpg

Ok, interesting. I took a more clear pic of my P1 connector and put both our P1 connectors side by side in the pic attached, mine on the left yours on the right. To my eye they look to be the same. It's hard to tell pins 4 and 5 because the colors are so similar, but in both cases the top one looks brown with some purple splashed on it. Seems to indicate that my P1 is actually correct. Checking our P2's is a different story, the colors are in totally different order as are the motors. It does make me wonder now if the stepper motor was changed on mine at some point and the P2 connector was just wired wrong, and me flipping P2 fixed it. I guess I'll leave my P1 connector alone then and just stick with my P2 reversal fix.

p1compare_(resized).jpgp1compare_(resized).jpg

#23 8 years ago

Agreed. If it's working, it's repaired. The game can make money on a route.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It does make me wonder now if the stepper motor was changed

I do think so

Stepper_567-571_(resized).jpgStepper_567-571_(resized).jpg

#25 8 years ago

Oh so that 3 digit number is the game code. Sweet, didn't know that. That explains it all then, there probably wasn't any bad wiring at all. I bet the old stepper motor died on Diner at some point and someone thought a motor from Jokerz was a direct drop in. It mostly is except I'm betting it's wired to go the opposite way compared to Diner. Hence flipping the connector sorts that issue. Well mystery solved, thanks so much everyone, was actually quite satisfying to resolve this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Boards
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-clock-going-backwards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.