Untitled.jpg
212853-i_mod.jpg
diner schematics.JPG
connector diner.JPG
display connector2.jpg
dispaly connector1.jpg
diner board hack.jpg

#1 9 years ago

So my Diner is playing great, going to rebuild the flippers before folks come over for a party this weekend.

However, I do have some hacks in the game that I could use some assistance in clearing up. I have a connector on the bottom right corner that is broken and has a few wires directly soldered to the board, in addition on the connector there appear to be two other wires still in it that were cut, and I don't see any other loose ends so not sure if the old operator just reused a connector from another game or what but anyway I will include a picture of mine, if someone could send me a picture of what that area should look like on my game it would be greatly appreciated.
diner board hack.jpgdiner board hack.jpg
Secondly my game has a new LED display in it, but the 26 pin ribbon cable has been interestingly attached to the display board itself. It appears to be missing its end connector and instead each of the wires is individually hot glued to the pins. I have already ordered a new 26 pin ribbon cable should I be able to just disconnect and remove glue and connect the new one? Picture also included.
display connector2.jpgdisplay connector2.jpgdispaly connector1.jpgdispaly connector1.jpg

#2 9 years ago

The first picture is quite common. The GI connector burnt so instead of doing a proper bench repair they field repaired it and just removed the offending connector. Time to replace the onboard connectors and install new pins/connectors.

The second picture? Holy shitsnakes. Talk about dedication. That must have taken a couple hours to do just because they had a bad cable. If it ain't broke, leave it. If its a factory display it will most likely need to be replaced sometime in the next year or two, at that time just buy a new cable.

#3 9 years ago

Yeah that is what I thought about the display hack, that had to take way more time than just signing online and ordering the $10 cable. I also couldn't believe that it is working like that. It's a brand new LED display, so obviously they had to order the display....how do you not order the damn cable?

Also this is specifically the part that is concerning me on the board, I circled it in red. There are two wires in the connector that have been cut and I don't see them anywhere, just curious if something isn't present or if they just used some random connector they had around. Also the pin furthest to the right (hard to see in picture) has nothing connected to it at all. Thanks.

connector diner.JPGconnector diner.JPG

#4 9 years ago

For reference, that is the 'Backbox Interconnect Board' part number D-12313-576
The chopped up right hand side yellow wires are the GI on J6
The chopped up lower multi color connector is J7.

For J6 you want all the yellow wires on Pins 1 through 4, pin 5 is a key, and pin 6 though 9 are the yellow with white tracer.

For J7 looking at the prints, pin 1 and 2 do not appear to be used. That connector is a miss mash of different outputs. You may want th erefer to the prints ans the pins are all over the page.

#5 9 years ago

That's got to be a connector from another game, its not the same style as the others

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

For J6 you want all the yellow wires on Pins 1 through 4, pin 5 is a key, and pin 6 though 9 are the yellow with white tracer.

So definitely didn't even notice the yellow wires on J6 being soldered on....ooops. Looks like I am making a run to the electronics store after school today.

I apologize for my ignorance as well, but what exactly would I be referring to in the prints and what is meant by the pins are all over the page?

I am looking at the lighting matrix in the manual and pg 76 of manual (pg. 80 of the file) seems to have J7 listed as row one.....should I be coordinating the wire colors to what it tells me there or am I way off?

#7 9 years ago

Okay, first time ever trying to read schematics and I think I have it, but honestly no clue, and if I am reading it correctly the colors of wires do not match up at all or the pins they are located on so not really sure what to think of it overall.

diner schematics.JPGdiner schematics.JPG

#8 9 years ago

212853-i_mod.jpg212853-i_mod.jpg

You are *close*.

The ones circled in red are the GI lines running to the backbox insert - pins 10, 9, 8 and 7 of J7.

The other pins of J7 are sometimes used for solenoids - in this case, flashers and the GI relay on the backside of the backbox insert.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

I captured that from page 98 of the manual.

#9 9 years ago

Okay the fact that it is numer 1-10 from right to left was throwing me off, now I see it. Thanks for the help everyone.

#10 9 years ago

All fixed. 1.5 hours to get glue off. Thanks for all the help. Here lies a dead 26 pin ribbon cable.

image-194.jpgimage-194.jpg
#11 9 years ago

that's crazy, why not just pony up the 5 or 10 bucks to get a new display cable.. totally not worth the time it would take to do.

#12 9 years ago

Agreed, or the time it took me to undo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diner-board-and-display-hack-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.