Topic Stats

• 254 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 63 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dimples (resized).jpg
2fa7c96940408e7c43657bca7a41b8535b91e0bf (1) (resized).jpg
received_10212277069096738 (resized).jpeg
image-33 (resized).jpg
dd441f3f7ee5ff9587bf4a42d82dc9ca58987e81 (resized).jpg
IMG_1253 (resized).jpg
IMG_1252 (1) (resized).jpg
woz2 (resized).JPG
woz1 (resized).JPG
woz-dimples (resized).jpg
1fb5387c61af6b55f44e1400b04aa5eedad5c4da (resized).jpg
IMG_4842 (resized).jpg
IMG_4840 (resized).jpg
IMG_4841 (resized).jpg
IMG20170128214744 (resized).jpg
IMG20170128214740 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

When I first got Star Trek LE, the first week the playfield looked like the surface of the moon. I was shocked and unhappy. I just decided it was a flawed playfield, but I would just keep playing it and not worry. By the time I sold it, it had smoothed out to the point that individual dimples weren't even visible.

Is this the same thing that is happening for BM66 owners? Do they just need to play through it, or is this a bigger issue? I saw the magnet dimples, which is weird. I wonder if it will smooth out over time?

Also, are the dimples in the wood or the clear coat? It's hard to tell, any way to know for sure?

#5 2 years ago

It took maybe 100 plays before it smoothed out.

So, are those Williams/CPR playfields just infinitely dimpled or are some playfields/clearcoats just more resistant?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

I have looked up the dimpling issues and what is the cause. Is it soft wood, soft clear coat or what? I have 36-37 year old Williams without a single dimple. I also have a CPR with thousands of plays and not a single dimple.

Can you show us a well-lit pic of your old Williams playfield with no dimples?

#15 2 years ago

That I500 does look pretty clean, but I suppose it would take removing a ramp or something to prove that it isn't just uniformly dimpled...?

#28 2 years ago

I find it interesting that both sides of this debate think they have it right. Is it possible that both things are true?

What I mean is, could it be that some older playfield were indeed made with better wood or better clear coat or whatever AND that Stern playfields dimple badly but who cares because it all evens out over time.

I'm looking forward to someone "proving" that an old Williams playfield is truly not at all dimpled. Good pics on the WCS above, but I still can't tell. I know it's hard to take good pics illustrating this issue.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Only nubies and trolls post about playfield dimples on Pinside.

So...which are you?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider russell.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside