IMG_1252 (1) (resized).jpg
woz2 (resized).JPG
woz1 (resized).JPG
woz-dimples (resized).jpg
1fb5387c61af6b55f44e1400b04aa5eedad5c4da (resized).jpg
IMG_4842 (resized).jpg
IMG_4840 (resized).jpg
IMG_4841 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 7 years ago

Dimples within normal depth aren't a cause for concern. It's the deep pits that are concerning. Dimples are normal and the ball travels too quickly to be thrown off by a few (or even a few hundred) dimples, so you'll never notice them affecting play. There have been some pics of really deep pits that go beyond pitting, but I'm willing to bet that those are extreme edge cases.

All that said, something has changed. A game with the same design (Spider-Man) as another (SMVE) has definitely shown to show a big difference in the number and depth of dimples. SMVE definitely sports a lesser-quality playfield, but it's within the window of when things were going wrong in Stern's production. Maybe that's been cleaned up by now.

Seriously though, don't let dimples bother you much. Do keep an eye on big pits in the playfield. If that happens, something is wrong.

I really wonder if modern games have just been sped up too much. I turned my coil strength down on Ghostbusters LE and I'm still making my ramp shots easily (even backhanding the left ramp). If dimples do bother you a lot, slow down your game a bit. In the end, the dimpling is unavoidable, but you can slow down the process to some degree. But as long as the dimpling is within normal range, might as well let it happen until things even out.

#101 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

No.
This has not been shown at all.

SMVEs definitely have more wear showing on them than the SM playfields have. Heck, my SM looks better than any of the SMVEs I've seen. Softer wood, thicker clear, whatever it is. There is a difference. They are not the same. I got my SM with under 200 plays on it, and there are two Black LEs here locally. All of them wore significantly better than the SMVEs have.

SM isn't really an airball game though. I don't really understand it. Of course, I have not seen any recent run SMVEs, every one I've played is from earlier in their production schedule.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stop saying "softer wood".
It's the same Maple wood that has been used for 70 years.
No one has gone back in time and planted some new species of Maple that has just hit the market in the last 2 years.

I'm not claiming it's that. I'm saying whatever anybody wants to call it, something is different. There's a big difference between playfields from today and playfields from a few years ago. Stern or their supplier knows. Whatever we call it doesn't change what the difference is, but there IS a difference.

And for the record, there are different types of maple used for wood. http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/differences-between-hard-maple-and-soft-maple/

I'm sure one could examine the wood and know what what used and put the difference in wood question to bed. It's probably a clear coat difference, but we just don't know.

#109 7 years ago

Birch syrup is better, but it's harder to harvest. They sell it up in Alaska and I always pick some up.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sweeter, thicker, more flavorful....?

Not sweeter, but it could be if they dissolved a pound of sugar into a bottle. It's definitely thicker and more flavorful. It has a bit more of a woody flavor than maple. It's really quite good stuff. It's way more expensive though.

#117 7 years ago

I don't think that the question is about the dimpling anymore. It's pretty clear that every game dimples. I think the question is more about the overall rate of playfield wear on new games. HUO games are wearing alarmingly fast compared to how they were wearing not all that long ago. My Tron, SM, LOTR, TSPP, AC/DC, and IM have all worn significantly less than GBLE has, and GBLE still has a very long way to go in order to catch up to the others in overall plays. Even games I've taken off route have fared better.

Maybe we need to stop chasing the glassy surface on playfield clearcoats. The oohs and ahhs aren't worth the slip in durability. If the wood is the same, it has to be the clearcoat itself or the clearing process, right? There must be a change in clearcoat hardness, flexibility, or adhesion.

Edit: And saying that people are noticing these things because they're new in pinball doesn't really add up. We didn't have these issues with NIB games like this back in the RGP days. Sure, there were fewer NIB sales and people posting, but we just weren't seeing it like this in proportion.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I know what these newbs should do. If you don't like ghosting, and you dont' like dimples. Buy only flipperless games. Guaranteed you will not get either. There you go. I have solved your butthurt problems.

Dimples, sure, but the other issues aren't the same. I never had a NIB game with all the chipping, ghosting, and cracking. This is a different beast entirely.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I was actually curious with all the talk of the wood being compressed, why the pinball companies didn't "skip the middle man" and just put each playfield in a 50ton/100ton/whatever-ton press and pre-compress the wood before they are CNC'd. I know it wouldn't completely solve the issue as steel is harder than wood but, it seems like it would help "normalize" the hardness that alternating layers of maple doesn't seem to be doing.

No matter how hard you compressed the wood, a steel ball will steel mark it up anyway. The top layer is probably as hard as you're going to get it through pressure treatment.

#140 7 years ago

It's not the dimples that we need to worry about. It's the clearcoat that is chipping way too prematurely and the cracking. I have cracked and chipped clear on my GBLE, and it was happening in under 300 plays. That's...not good. Dimples are fine, as long as they're normal. If they're deep enough that the ball travel is affected, then that goes beyond what I would call a dimple. But the really early serious wear is not great to be seeing.

1 week later
#216 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

This is ac/dc after a few thousand plays whats your point

Somebody asked for pics and he shared them. Easy on the trigger, Mr. Stern Defender.

#218 7 years ago

Is there additional mylar over those inserts on AC/DC, or is the album multiball insert lifting?

Oh, yeah, it's his own question, but he found the pics and then posted them to save anybody else the trouble. Sometimes when you ask a question, if you find the answer first, you post it so people don't waste time looking for you. It's a common courtesy.

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think its just the edge. before the days of thick clearcoat on everything seeing the edge is normal and not necessarily lifting.

Mine isn't that way, but I have a premium. Did they get an extra coat over the pro?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dimples?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.