(Topic ID: 110723)

FS: Elegant glare reduction for Stern machines!

By ArcadeUpkeep

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Here is something new we've been working on. It's our new LED backbox board that automatically dims itself when the game starts and fades back to full brightness when the game is over. It's all the benefits of having the full LED backbox board, brighter more even light, without the glare that comes with it. Also the brightness level and dim level are adjustable so you can set them to look just right for your machine. Our backbox boards will now all come with this feature (even at a lower price point than before!) and the dimming module will also be available to work with LED panels you may have purchased before or even made yourself.

We are completely redesigning our website so you won't find it on there just yet but we will have it up for our Black Friday Sale!

Regular price and black Friday discount to be announced shortly.

www.arcadeupkeep.com

Check out the video of it in action!

#3 9 years ago

The new website is really coming along!

#4 9 years ago

Bump for a cool product. It really reduces the glare during the game without turning the backglass all the way off. However, if you want it off that is also an option. Easy to install and very user friendly!

Jon

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the bump, I'm really happy with how it turned out as well!

#6 9 years ago

What other deals do you guys have for Black Friday? I'm very happy with your LED board on ACDC & Met Pro.

#7 9 years ago

We'll be posting our black friday deals a little later on, but we will have backbox and under cabinet kits on sale!

#8 9 years ago

This is a great mod, I look forward to the sale.

#10 9 years ago

Our new website is now online!

Visit www.arcadeupkeep.com to check it out!

#11 9 years ago

Our dimming backbox LED panel will have a normal price of $68 as listed on the website (cheaper than our normal kit before and this includes the dimming feature!)

Our black friday sale is 20% off our backbox panel and smart color under cabinet kits.

Also if you order 3 or more of either one you get free shipping on top of the discounted price!

Also see our website for our sweepstakes Black Friday through Christmas to win free kits.

#12 9 years ago

Looks great and an even better price! Order placed!

#13 9 years ago

Great idea and very original. I like it but the price gave me sticker shock to be honost, even at the 20% off price. Probably because if I bought it for one Stern machine I'd have to buy it for all four......LOL.
Good luck with it though and I'm sure you'll do well.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Great idea and very original. I like it but the price gave me sticker shock to be honost, even at the 20% off price. Probably because if I bought it for one Stern machine I'd have to buy it for all four......LOL.

It's cheaper than buying PDI glass for all four ...

#15 9 years ago

IMO the price for the LED back board kit which includes the dimmer circuit is very reasonable, especially with the Black Friday sale price.

#16 9 years ago

Thank you Schwaggs, honestly with the cost of everything including the custom designed and built dimmer circuit, I can't reasonably drop the price any more on them!

#17 9 years ago

Someone asked on another post so I'll clarify it here as well. It's 20% off the listed price so the backbox panel rings up as $54.40. $68 is the normal, non-sale price.

#18 9 years ago

Yea, I'm a DIY kinda guy and created my own LED backbox dimming circuit that works perfectly.

However, I'm not DIY'ing new sets for my new machines when I can buy the whole enchilada for $55!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

However, I'm not DIY'ing new sets for my new machines when I can buy the whole enchilada for $55!

There ya go!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Yea, I'm a DIY kinda guy and created my own LED backbox dimming circuit that works perfectly.

It's hard to get a much more ringing endorsement than that.

#21 9 years ago

This is such a great solution...similar to an idea I pitched to George Gomez awhile ago. Would be so easy for Stern to add a software setting for doing the same thing. In any event, good luck with the product!

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's hard to get a much more ringing endorsement than that.

I agree! And thank you to both of you.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Would be so easy for Stern to add a software setting for doing the same thing.

They would have to use something different than the fluorescent tube they use now and that would add cost, I don't think they're interested in doing that, but I agree they could easily if they wanted to.

#24 9 years ago

Glad to see someone finally brought this idea out in the open with an actual working product. And you aren't eye-gouging on the price either. Bravo.

#25 9 years ago

I like it

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeUpkeep:

They would have to use something different than the fluorescent tube they use now and that would add cost, I don't think they're interested in doing that, but I agree they could easily if they wanted to.

My idea/suggestion was to simply shut off the fluorescent light when I hit "start". From my perspective, the back box light is for "attract" mode. Once the game is started, I really have no use for any light that can make it harder to see the PF/ball.

In any event, for folks considering fancy $300 glass for solving the glare problem (which it doesn't, this is a smart product that I'd like to have on all my machines (not just Sterns).

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My idea/suggestion was to simply shut off the fluorescent light when I hit "start". From my perspective, the back box light is for "attract" mode. Once the game is started, I really have no use for any light that can make it harder to see the PF/ball.

In my case, I rely on the backbox lights to add to the ambient light in my pinball room. If every backbox light was completely shut off while games were in progress, the room would be too dark during parties. I also like looking at the artwork. To me, this is the ideal solution.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

for folks considering fancy $300 glass for solving the glare problem (which it doesn't, this is a smart product that I'd like to have on all my machines (not just Sterns).

Quoted from gweempose:

To me, this is the ideal solution.

Can't argue with that!!!

#29 9 years ago

Looks good, but you'd have to get it for every machine you own, so that is kind of tough.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Looks good, but you'd have to get it for every machine you own, so that is kind of tough.

If you decide to put in a big order, email me and we can work out a discount for you.

Brandon

3 weeks later
#31 9 years ago

Installed mine today. It's totally rad and, for me, another must have mod for Sterns along with FF speakers and mirror blades. Definitely worth it.

#32 9 years ago

A cheap and easy solution if you didn't mind not having dimming is to just use a time delay relay ($5+/-) that resets with your flipper switch or something else that triggers regularly during play. I think I'll try that this week for my WPT. Florescents give terrible glare.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dimming-backglass-for-stern-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.