(Topic ID: 181547)

Diminished power to ball ejects ($20 PayPal reward)

By Cserold

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by luch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4453 (resized).JPG
IMG_4442 (resized).JPG
IMG_4438 (resized).JPG
IMG_4437 (resized).JPG
IMG_4436 (resized).JPG
IMG_4435 (resized).JPG
p6280102_zoom (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Alright smart people...I installed a power tap on J16 for a topper to AC/DC Premium. Getting the plug off was hard and I had to use a lot of force. Doesn't look like anything broke but after installing the power tap I no longer have adequate power on the ball ejects in the main ball trough OR in the lower playfield ball eject (see video). I have completely removed the power tap and the same thing is occurring. I've ensured the connection is seated well. $20 pay pal gift to anybody that solves the problem

#2 7 years ago

your shooter rod is too long and holding the ball out away from the two forks that shot the ball

#3 7 years ago

too fix this you have to stretch out the spring on the handle end or the rod ie outside the cab , this will force the rod to sit not so far out and bring the ball down the trough closer to the two pieces that auto shoot

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from luch:

too fix this you have to stretch out the spring on the handle end or the rod ie outside the cab , this will force the rod to sit not so far out and bring the ball down the trough closer to the two pieces that auto shoot

Thanks for the reply. This has always worked fine until I just screwed around with J16 which controls power. Also, this doesn't explain the same issue which is occurring in the lower play field, does it?

#5 7 years ago

Did you strain any of the male board connectors?

If you have cracked solder joint (visible on the back of the board), you won't get a solid connection.

It might not be as obvious as this, but a faint ring of cracked solder is all it takes:

p6280102_zoom (resized).jpgp6280102_zoom (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

20V light is on. What does that mean

IMG_4435 (resized).JPGIMG_4435 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you have cracked solder joint (visible on the back of the board), you won't get a solid connection.
It might not be as obvious as this, but a faint ring of cracked solder is all it takes:

Thanks Vid. Going to check.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Look good to me.

IMG_4438 (resized).JPGIMG_4438 (resized).JPG
IMG_4436 (resized).JPGIMG_4436 (resized).JPG
IMG_4437 (resized).JPGIMG_4437 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

in program mode is the setting for coil power on firm or hard ?

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from luch:

in program mode is the setting for coil power on firm or hard ?

Hi Luch, it's on normal which is what it has been working fine with for the last few days.

#11 7 years ago

Could the solder at the coil terminals be cracked?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Could the solder at the coil terminals be cracked?

Thanks I will Check but highly unlikely this happened to both shooter lane and lower playfield coil at same time, right? Think this has to be a power issue.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Thanks I will Check but highly unlikely this happened to both shooter lane and lower playfield coil at same time, right? Think this has to be a power issue.

Besides the connector solder points on the board, you could have cracked the traces near where you were putting a lot of force on the board.

#14 7 years ago

The power source for the shooter lane and the lower play field are probably coming from the same colored wire that eventually terminates in to that connector you pulled on. Look to see what color it is and check for a loose wire. It is highly likely that you pulled or wiggled that wire enough to cause a poor conneciton to those coils.

One other thing you can try FIRST is to test for DC voltage at the shooter lane coil to confirm you have the proper voltage. Both lugs should have voltage... FOR THE TEST: Red lead to test each coil lug, black lug on your voltmeter goes to cabinet ground braid. Both lugs on all coils should have same DC voltage.

The only other thing I can suggest is that it's just an odd coincidence and both transistors that drive those 2 coils have crapped out. A VERY common problem with Stern machines but not likely in this circumstance (a simultaneous failure).

#15 7 years ago

You said you originally had to use a lot of power to get the connector off. That's an IDC connector. Any chance you pulled on the wires and now you have a less than optimal wire connection in the IDC connector? If so, check your manual and see what wire(s) carry the + or ground for those 2 solenoids in that connector, then remove that wire and punch it in again in a slightly different spot on the wire so the IDC connector makes a new insulation cut on the wire. Be sure to use an IDC punch tool when reinserting the wire.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

You said you originally had to use a lot of power to get the connector off. That's an IDC connector. Any chance you pulled on the wires and now you have a less than optimal wire connection in the IDC connector? If so, check your manual and see what wire(s) carry the + or ground for those 2 solenoids in that connector, then remove that wire and punch it in again in a slightly different spot on the wire so the IDC connector makes a new insulation cut on the wire. Be sure to use an IDC punch tool when reinserting the wire.

Exactly.

#17 7 years ago

Another tip... my speaker lights aren't getting power either. They are the ones from speakerlightkits.com.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Besides the connector solder points on the board, you could have cracked the traces near where you were putting a lot of force on the board.

This could be possible. Board was bending some when I was pulling on it. Is there a way to test this?

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Another tip... my speaker lights aren't getting power either. They are the ones from speakerlightkits.com.

In that case, also reseat all connectors/harnesses in the lower and upper cabinet. Check the power at the coil first.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

One other thing you can try FIRST is to test for DC voltage at the shooter lane coil to confirm you have the proper voltage. Both lugs should have voltage... FOR THE TEST: Red lead to test each coil lug, black lug on your voltmeter goes to cabinet ground braid. Both lugs on all coils should have same DC voltage.

Are these the right settings to test this?

IMG_4442 (resized).JPGIMG_4442 (resized).JPG

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Are these the right settings to test this?

no, put the red lead in the far right hole of your meter. The dial is set correctly for DC voltage.

#22 7 years ago

No, you have the red lead in the wrong place for a voltage test. You will probably create a short and blow a fuse or a transistor.
Move the red lead to the socket on the far right.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

no, put the red lead in the far right hole of your meter. The dial is set correctly for DC voltage.

Both coil leads are measuring 1.10 V

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Both coil leads are measuring 1.10 V

to ground?

Make sure the coin door is closed or the interlock switch is pulled.

#25 7 years ago

G

Quoted from DCFAN:to ground?
Make sure the coin door is closed or the interlock switch is pulled.

Good lord, I have a lot to learn. Coin door was open. They both read 75V.

#26 7 years ago

I'm sure this means nothing but this yellow light is on

IMG_4453 (resized).JPGIMG_4453 (resized).JPG

#27 7 years ago

bump to see if anybody has any other thoughts.

#28 7 years ago

Have you tried calling Chaz at stern tech and see if he can walk you thru it

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The power source for the shooter lane and the lower play field are probably coming from the same colored wire that eventually terminates in to that connector you pulled on. Look to see what color it is and check for a loose wire. It is highly likely that you pulled or wiggled that wire enough to cause a poor conneciton to those coils.

Checked the wires powering both of the coils and interestingly enough neither of the coils has a wire that is in use by the connector I removed.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Have you tried calling Chaz at stern tech and see if he can walk you thru it

Not yet. Good idea though. I've talked with Chaz several times when needing some new switches etc. Is he helpful for troubleshooting stuff like this?

#31 7 years ago

Speaker lights are working again. Other issues remain. Just had to reseat connection on speaker lights. Was not related

#32 7 years ago

Still haven't figured this out. Cannon, ball auto launch and Lower playfield ball launch all just have a tiny bit of power. Voltage on coil leads reading 75V. Raised prize to $40 for anybody that can figure this crap out. Thanks guys

#33 7 years ago

call chaz !

#34 7 years ago

I will son but Chaz doesn't work on Sunday. And maybe tomorrow either. Plus pinside is all knowing

#35 7 years ago

not so far ! lol

#36 7 years ago

Remove all your mods. Get it 100% back to factory and then start testing. I always suspect mods and rework.

Marc

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Remove all your mods. Get it 100% back to factory and then start testing. I always suspect mods and rework.
Marc

This. Odds are you may be in the same boat as a buddy of mine where his mods were drawing too much power away from the rest of the machine.

#38 7 years ago

Was able to figure it out. Low power issue to auto launch and cannon was due to a blown F8 fuse (both of these were still reading 75V when fuse was blown). Then lower play field ball launch issue was an opto switch issue from one of the small two pronged wires not being seated all the way. Thinking these issues were related to each other and that I must have damaged the connector threw me and everybody else off I think. And, @luch, Chas did immediately tell me F8 was blown. He's such a good dude. I appreciate all the input gents.

#39 7 years ago

woooo hoooo did I win ? If yes please donate it to pinside on my behalf

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from luch:

woooo hoooo did I win ? If yes please donate it to pinside on my behalf

Haha. Yes you are. $20 donated in your honor!

#41 7 years ago

thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diminished-power-to-ball-ejects-20-paypal-reward and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.