armature (resized).JPG
target reset (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).JPG
targets down (resized).JPG
Reset banks (resized).JPG
P1040409_(resized).JPG
P1040408_(resized).JPG
P1040407_(resized).JPG
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Hi, I am a newbe, On my Dimension game, a new game start up does not reset any drop targets. When all drop targets on one side are down, and the ball drains, the targets reset. How can I resolve this. Thanks

#2 8 years ago

can you post a pic of the part of the schematic that involves the bank reset coils , to help find where the problem is.

#3 8 years ago

Likely, this is the drop target bank relays in the big relay reset bank at the bottom of your game. You need to clean and adjust the switches in both of those relays (one for each bank).

The bad news is these are notoriously hard to clean and adjust, because the switches completely move location when you have the bank in "service" position. The only way to do this right is to remove the 10 or so screws holding the bank to the bottom panel, and then flipping the bank over and cleaning/adjusting while the bank is in the secure (non service) position. Might as well clean and adjust everything while you are at it.

When you flip it back over, only put a few screws in until you are sure everything is working right.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks Crazy Levi, I removed the bank from the bottom and flipped it over. Man that is sure easier than a mirror, light and contact tool. Thanks. Now I have a problem with the 500 points roll over, keeps blowing my 10 amp playfield fuse. Any suggestions where to start. Thanks

#5 8 years ago

I noticed under this bank, the four hard to get at contact blades rest on the housing. One of them has a little round insulator plug, the others have no insulation barrier. Is this causing a short on the 500 point roll overs and top holes?

#6 8 years ago

Any ideas? Targets reset when ball drains but, don't reset on a new game? Could it be a contact on the motor at start up?

#7 8 years ago

Check all of your 500 point rollovers to make sure any switch tabs aren't touching/shorting out/blowing fuse.

As pinballdaveh mentioned above get a schematic (you can get a copy from Pinball Resource if you don't have one) and take a few pictures (lower 1/2, upper 1/2) with your camera and post them here - then we can help you with your problems.

#8 8 years ago

here are the pictures, thanks for your help!

P1040407_(resized).JPGP1040407_(resized).JPG

P1040408_(resized).JPGP1040408_(resized).JPG

#9 8 years ago

Can you take another photo of just the bottom right? That is where the target bank reset coils are. They are out of focus on your other photo.

#10 8 years ago

Looks to me like switches on the trip bank for Ab, Lb, and Db all need to be closed to complete the circuit to those drop resets. I would check those, which is again on that dreaded hard to see bank!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Bee-barf:

Targets reset when ball drains but, don't reset on a new game?

Looks like there are a lot of extra switches involved on the new game reset path. Needs the Ball Count wiper disc on certain positions (along with the minimum balls to play adjustment plug), the 'On Add Ball Count' switch to close, the SB1 armature switch to close, and the make/break switch on DB. Any of those could prevent the targets from resetting at game start.

#12 8 years ago

Here is another photo

P1040409_(resized).JPGP1040409_(resized).JPG

#13 8 years ago

When starting a new game, what is different in resetting targets as apposed to: during a game and targets are down ball drains and now reset? Please help me follow the electrical path. I can't read this darn schematic! Thanks for your time and help.

#14 8 years ago

Here's a problem that occurs when flipping over the rest bank. Due to 'gravity', you adjust the switches and you think they are correct...now you install it there is more pressure on the switches which can make the switches you just adjusted...not adjusted. I have restored 2 of these games and worked on others , and that reset bank can wreak havoc.

My suggestion unless you really think you have that bank dialed in, is to continuity test the armature switches(POWER OFF. 4 I think....single switch under the relays)under that bank. When relay is tripped, the contact should be closed and vice-versa. They are difficult to adjust and hard to see but it can be done w/some patience. If all is good then the next step is to check the switches in the reset bank for proper adjustment and that contacts are clean. My bet is on the reset armature switch....although I could be wrong! ; ) Good luck and just my 2 cents.

P.S. Where are you located? Maybe somebody close by could help you. That relay bank is not the best situation to work on for a 'newbie', but you'll certainly get an education from it.

#15 8 years ago

O.K. This is where I am with this now. I removed the reset bank to serviceable position cleaned and checked point gaps.When I start a game if one side of drop targets are all down, they reset at start of a new game. If only a few targets are down on one side, they don't reset? Can you tell by the schematics which contact(s) are not completing the path? Thanks so much.

#16 8 years ago

I'm still stumped. Does not seem possible. To reset correctly when supposed to after knock-down, but not reset at start of new game. Can someone help me follow the start-up path were the targets are meant to reset? PLEASE

9 months later
#17 7 years ago

I got to this thread way late, but did you ever figure it out? Got intrigued.

Quoted from Bee-barf:

O.K. This is where I am with this now. I removed the reset bank to serviceable position cleaned and checked point gaps.When I start a game if one side of drop targets are all down, they reset at start of a new game. If only a few targets are down on one side, they don't reset? Can you tell by the schematics which contact(s) are not completing the path? Thanks so much.

This is likely because you're simply triggering a different reset - the one where they pop back up after they are all down (and light WOW if I remember correctly?), rather than a new game reset. Your problem is probably still there. I would look at the score motor switches, not sure why nobody mentioned those - everybody always seems to fail to mention the score motor when it's been the source of so many of my problems. Makes things too complicated.

Whatever "TILT RESET ADJ" is also seems to play a role, is this for adjusting if ball(s) is/are deducted or if the game ends when tilted? Hmph.

Anyhow, hope you've solved it by now.

2 weeks later
#18 7 years ago

I still have targets not reseting at start of game, only when ball drains on Wow. wish I knew the path @ start-up to follow. Any help appreciated. Thanks

#19 7 years ago

What happens after the restart if drops do not reset if you give the score motor a little push. I would check switch 3b and 2c

2 years later
#20 4 years ago

After a break from trying to fix this machine, I am back at it. So, still targets don't reset upon start up, and don't score points. Could these two be related? I also receive an occasional 50 pts. when the ball drains. Thanks.

#21 4 years ago

I think you have two issue. I would focus on the reset issue 1st.

One of he 50 point switches may not gaped correctly. (Out lanes, targets, top hole switches or one of the targets).

The reset of the targets is controlled by the DB Reset complete relay, on the control bank.

Sounds like you End of Ball reset is working but your Start of game reset isn't.

I would focus on the the 3 switches in red. I suspect the DB make or break switch (Red - Yellow). If it was the LB/AB then one side would reset and not the other.
Reset banks (resized).JPGReset banks (resized).JPG

#22 4 years ago

Awesome ArgosySK, Thanks so much for the fast reply. I will look at your suggestions this aft. Thank you Thank you

#23 4 years ago

I was looking the the AB/LB circuits. On start of game the tilt relay is triggered and allows the the AB/LB coils to pull. Check the ones in red on the tilt relay and the DB relay check SL-red sl+blk is closed when DB is triggered.

PS. it looks like the target reset should only trigger at end of ball when the targets on one side are all down.

targets down (resized).JPGtargets down (resized).JPG
#24 4 years ago

double post.

#25 4 years ago

So I got as far as the targets scoring and playing a game but, during the game the R relay( hold relay) would energize and stay on. Don't know why this happens. Also I am having no luck with targets resetting at start of a game. Thanks, i'm going back to the machine now.

#26 4 years ago

The hold relay stay on all the time.

#27 4 years ago

Dimension reset sounds like a great band name.

#28 4 years ago

To trouble shoot, could I alligator clip to by pass AB or LB? I'm still having no luck with start up/targets up. Any other ideas?

#29 4 years ago

I would alligator clip the AB/LB from the 1st image I sent
Then the DB
Then Tilt(s) from the 2nd image I sent
Then DB from the pick below
Then Motor 1D from the pick below (Not circled)

Capture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPG

#30 4 years ago

Thanks ArgosySK, Do you think i'm risking any damage in using alligator clips, one at a time on these relay tabs? And only at start up?

#31 4 years ago

A coil stays stuck on or worst case a fuse flips because of too much draw. I didn't put the "R" relay as one to test because I am pretty sure that will blow a fuse.
If you just testing the start up sequence wait until the ball kick out and turn the pin off. (Same thing if the motor keeps running).

If you have a meter you can also check for continuity and manualy close the relays to see if the circuit complete. (with the machine off.) I did this to get my 2001 up and running.

2 weeks later
#32 4 years ago

I have used the alligator clips but no clues. I'm starting to think the targets don't reset at start of game. But, It makes the game less challenging. Now during the game about half way threw a game, the plungers on all three chime bars stay energized (humming)? Any thoughts? Thanks

#33 4 years ago

The targets are supposed to reset at the start of a game, or if you tilt. 100 percent.

Sounds like you have lots of issues. If the chimes are locked on, you have stuck switches somewhere, or the score reel relays in the back of the head need some attention.

#34 4 years ago

Do you have a copy of the manual? It will describe the reset sequence.

Also, where is rolf_martin_062 ?

#35 4 years ago

Ok let's look at the "reset at start up" circuit again.

So as long as the DB is closed (Red wire and Yellow wire) and at least one of the Armatures is closed (common Yellow wire to Purple wires) then one side will reset following the green boxes and the other side following the red boxes.

I would focus on the green side then the red.

Note that the LB Armature and AB Armature are under the switch stacks See photo below.
It took me a while to get mine adjusted so it would register correctly. (My pin only has one.)

target reset (resized).JPGtarget reset (resized).JPGarmature (resized).JPGarmature (resized).JPG

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

Ok let's look at the "reset at start up" circuit again.
So as long as the DB is closed (Red wire and Yellow wire) and at least one of the Armatures is closed (common Yellow wire to Purple wires) then one side will reset following the green boxes and the other side following the red boxes.
I would focus on the green side then the red.
Note that the LB Armature and AB Armature are under the switch stacks See photo below.
It took me a while to get mine adjusted so it would register correctly. (My pin only has one.)
[quoted image][quoted image]

When I restored my Dimension, those armatures showed signs of work having been done. One of them needed a replacement armature plate with lifter (A-9032) because the insulated lifter had fallen off. PBR carries them.

gtb-a9032t (resized).jpggtb-a9032t (resized).jpg

That lifter helps the armature perform make-break action on the switch mounted to it, it also insulates the reset bank from the 120v of juice that the switch carries. Make sure your game is unplugged (not just turned off) if you decide to adjust these two switches on LB and AB. They’re hot!

#37 4 years ago

I just ordered the armatures today. Thanks everyone!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Bee-barf:

I just ordered the armatures today. Thanks everyone!

What did your original armatures look like? Were they missing their lifters?

#39 4 years ago

Yes,they were missing lifters, but I did have electricial tape there. I'm willing to try it anyway. Question, are AB & LB at start of game open or closed? I have them closed. I don't think it's possible to have them open. The schematic shows them both ways. Thanks.

#40 4 years ago

My guess is they are not pulled. When you turn the machine on, The R relay will energize the tilt (just before it pulls), and when the DB relay pulls that will allow both the AB and LB to be energized.
(Following the TB side of the circuits on the schematic)

1 week later
#41 4 years ago

I have replaced the new armatures/lifters and it didn't help reset the targets at start-up. I will check the R relay and DB relay again. Thanks.

#42 4 years ago

Just can't figure out why, when a row of targets gets knocked down and ball drains,they reset. Either side. But starting a new game they don't reset. Must be one step at start up that it's missing.

#43 4 years ago

Reply sent in private message

#44 4 years ago

I am not sure what I did but now ; no points are scored but, chimes that ring and lock, along with the corresponding relays lock on. 10, 100 and 1000 pts. Man this is frustrating.

#45 4 years ago

On the Target Banks not resetting at start up, the one thing in common with the two banks
is the DB Relay. I take it that the Control bank is energizing, so juice has to be getting to the
DB make/break switch..
The chimes are remaining on, but not scoring. The score reels are getting energized, but not
releasing. Is the Score Reset Relay in the head remaining energized? If so, has to be a set of
switches in the Control Bank. Probably in the Start Relay, or there may be two, S1 and S2.
As I'm sure you know, you don't want to let those coils remain energized for long..
Edit: Score Relays, not Score Reels. Are the Score Reels energized. If not, the Relays will
remain energized..

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Bee-barf:

Man this is frustrating.

Persistence will pay off. This hobby should be fun so when you're finding it frustrating is a good time to take a break for at least a few minutes but usually better until the next day. If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

Quoted from Bee-barf:

the corresponding relays lock on. 10, 100 and 1000 pts.

If the scoring relays lock on and don't let go, that's the first thing to fix because otherwise you'll burn up their coils. And don't let them be locked on for more than about 20 seconds.

See if they lock on when you activate them manually. If they do, try unplugging the playfield and see if they still lock on when you activate them manually.
What are the score unit solenoids doing when the score relays lock on?

#47 4 years ago

On starting a new game, the 1000 pts. score reel is stuck and doesn't move.... so that I think that is causing the ball count unit to fire and does nothing. If I set the 1000 pts. score reel to zero, I can start a game. Targets stay in the original position, but reset when they all are down on that side, after ball drain. Any one have ideas? THANK YOU.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Bee-barf:

On starting a new game, the 1000 pts. score reel is stuck and doesn't move

If the Add 1000s Unit solenoid doesn't try to activate to reset when starting a game, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#49 4 years ago

Thanks HowardR, I got a stupid question: not sure what a thousands unit is, or a unit runout is. Is this in the armature, the score motor or score reel? Thanks.

#50 4 years ago

In the score motor, I have noticed, two different side by side contacts give a blue spark. In your experience, what does this indicate? Thanks, They are 1A, 1st and 2nd switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dimension-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.