Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by aobrien5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So, I'm installing LEDs in my BSD and I guess I shorted one of the sockets on a vuk bracket because I blew a fuse when starting up. The socket is real tight in the hole and close to the bracket but I get it separated (and notice what looks like a small burn mark on the socket. No problem, fuse is no longer blowing but all the LEDs on that circuit are very dim now (2 don't work at all) and it blew the remaining incandescents in the circuit (pop bumpers). If I take one of those LEDs and put it in another circuit, it's still dim, and if I put another LED in the circuit I blew, it's bright.

Does that make sense? Can shorting a GI circuit blow all the bulbs, LEDs included? Isn't that the point of a fuse?

#2 10 years ago

I learned the lesson the hard way,..never install LEDs with the power on. Put in a few at a time them power it up to see how it looks.

Somebody else would have to speak on the LED theory issue, but it really sounds like you killed the LEDs you put in the machine.

#3 10 years ago

Luckily it was a small circuit of only 6-8 bulbs and I had only done that many, so I knew where abouts to look! Also, It's great having them separated on different fuses, unlike my early SS Bally where you would have NO idea!

#4 10 years ago

Either you smoked all those LED's (they dim right before they burn out) or one of those sockets is grounding but not blowing the fuse. Best way to check is by putting a good LED in that string and see if it's dim or bright.

#5 10 years ago

Ok, so you CAN, in fact, blow LEDs by shorting the circuit? I did put a good LED in and it WAS bright.

Bummer.

Thanks

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Does that make sense? Can shorting a GI circuit blow all the bulbs, LEDs included? Isn't that the point of a fuse?

Depends WHAT the GI circuits get shorted to. If the GI supply gets shorted to ground, it is most likely that the fuse will protect as intended. If you short the GI circuit to another powered source (the solenoid power, for example), that could blow all the devices on that circuit as well as the fuse.

#7 10 years ago

Hmm... well that certainly seems to be what happened, though I don't know what powered source it would have shorted to. I wouldn't think a solenoid bracket would be shorted to a powered source. Imagine that would cause other problems. I'll triple-check just to be sure.

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 84.99
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dim-leds-after-blowing-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.