IMG_6023 (resized).JPG
IMG_6018 (resized).JPG
IMG_5968 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5953 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0014 (resized).JPG
IMG_5913 (resized).JPG
IMG_5937 (resized).JPG
IMG_5934 (resized).JPG
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Onevox:

The ramp coils had a blown fuse. Fortunately local true value carries the 1 amp SB I needed. So those are "up" and working. Car crush needs opto work for reset, and need to see about redirecting back center kicker direction so ball doesn't hit a rail and go back into the hole.
I got the ball from PBR. I bought a 7/8" which still wins after two hits. The springs are stretched and don't provide much resistance. So need to replace. May try EOS adjustment first.

Let me know if that works. If you could actually lose the car crush that would be awesome.

#103 7 years ago

Vidgame, I love what you did to the blue formerly chrome ramps. I think I'm going to investigate that. I was thinking that I'd powder coat the rails/lockdown red like you did and add red t molding eventually. Great restore. Makes me really glad I put the time into mine. It's also clear I need more LEDs. Your thread made me laugh on the donations of parts. When I told Steve Y. that pinsiders convinced me to restore it rather than convert to a VP, he laughed and said, "are they going to buy your parts?"

Chitown, agreed. If it's a guaranteed win, it's like getting 20 million points just for pulling the plunger back. I want it to have a little skill.

#104 7 years ago

Just a few tweaks: reflowed solder on the car crusher opto then did the car reset coil connections. A little adjustment to get the coil to grab the reset lock plate and I shortened the stretched springs by a third to create more resistance. Car crusher works now. 4 hits to a win. Added another blue LED under right ramp to balance blue light. Had to sand the trough a little. When only two balls in the trough the front ball wouldn't roll forward (not enough push from behind) because of a slight indentation in the metal. The right center target has a dead Smart Switch (I tried a couple of things to no avail) but can't pull myself to order and pay shipping for one item so I'll wait till I have more to get.

#105 7 years ago

Moved it out of my shop into the place reserved for the VP, but that'll take a while to build. Next to my other Constantino Mitchell art pin that doesn't get a lot of love, but I like Flash's game play. I've become an LED devotee. I'd love to replace all lights in both pins with them. I put some reds behind the "flash" in the back box and the letters look so much better. The flashers in SF2 may be too bright. They're a bit disorienting when they're all going off. Thanks for all the help and encouragement. Cabinet painting coming in spring/summer.

IMG_0014 (resized).JPGIMG_0014 (resized).JPG

#106 7 years ago

Nice Job!

#107 7 years ago

So my teenage son says to me, "of all the pinball machines I've played, including the ones at the Roanoke Pinball Museum, that Street Fighter is my favorite. Haunted House is second." Gottlieb fan. Has me thinking I should get to work on the cab.

#108 7 years ago

I'm a fan of original cabs with the blemishes and all. I used to buy guitars and loved road or player wear on old guitars and their cases. I like to make the playfield shine and play great but I leave the cab like it is to tell the story of it's life.

Just letting you know there a few of us out there. Restored, shiny cabs are pretty awesome looking. No question about that.

#109 7 years ago

If you re-sell this game, I found your original post's price very reasonable. Street Fighter is going to be my first pin, so knowing someone did the restoration (and seeing it step-by-step) puts my mind at ease. I know other people don't like this game, but I love it and I'm especially glad people convinced you not to scrap it!

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from gecko157:

You can have mine for 800, not a joke.

What kind of shape is it in? I'm interested.

#111 7 years ago

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to sell. My son and I are having so much fun with it that I'm going to hold onto it for time being. He never got into the Flash, and I love seeing him head to the basement and hearing "ready set shoot!" He loves this game.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from binary11:

What kind of shape is it in? I'm interested.

Already sold locally but thanks.

#113 7 years ago

What if you put a plastic ball in the car smash?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/BALL-PLASTIC

#114 7 years ago

Interesting idea. I'm not sure. I didn't know there was such as thing. I still need to work on the EOS switch. I'm very close on making this a challenge. It takes 4 hits and sometimes when the ball rests briefly on the pivot side of the flipper bat, I wonder if I'm going to get it.

Have an order from Comet on the way. Once I got the GI changed to LED I couldn't stop. I want the inserts and backbox LED as well. The backbox looks retro and weak with the LED playfield. I did a test and I like the whiter white, and the yellower yellow. All tests were with cool white LED, but I'm going with warm under red and yellow and natural under white and green. I also may, may add a couple more blues under plastics. Oh, I'm going to try warm white under some plastics. I'm enjoying this LED process...

IMG_5953 (resized).jpegIMG_5953 (resized).jpeg

IMG_5968 (resized).jpegIMG_5968 (resized).jpeg

#115 7 years ago

Ya, either a powerball from TZ or the ball I just picked up from marco, its 5/8".

#116 7 years ago

Actually that 5/8 ball is probably too small lol...

#117 7 years ago

another idea I had was to add a layer of foam at the front of the plow (that the ball hits). The foam would absorb some of the shock and deaden the blow. Or maybe two squares of target foam on each side of the plow, so that a center blow would have more impact than a hit to the sides. It would make it more of a sport to aim for the center after the first flip. Or some variation of that.

#118 7 years ago

I adjusted the EOS switch and the car crunch is much more challenging. Takes 5 hits to win but because the ball travel is slower overall, it doesn't bounce back to the flipper as fast

The SF2 work has led to an unexpected problem: I'm noticing things I need to do to my first pin (Flash). So now I'm getting obsessive about making that one look and play better.

#119 7 years ago

Led'ed the PF and backbox last night. Warm under red and yellow, cool under white and green. I had cool under front plastics but saw where someone used warm and I liked how the reds and oranges popped more. So I went that route.

Not sure about the warm at the top behind the bracelet target. Draws attention to it but could be too much. I have one color changing LED I bought on a whim, may try that there.

Backbox is warm behind "Street fighter" , blue behind blue areas and cool white everwhere else. I ran out of warms and colors so I made do.

IMG_6018 (resized).JPGIMG_6018 (resized).JPG

IMG_6023 (resized).JPGIMG_6023 (resized).JPG

#120 7 years ago

I like how this guys LEDing turned out. Playfield pops, so does the translite. I cant find the pic he gave me with the translite out.

LED in SF2 (resized).JPGLED in SF2 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#121 7 years ago

It's interesting how I get obsessed by little things. The lockdown labels and apron graphics bothered me. Of course, now that I see that I didn't get the "!" correct, see PF edge sticker, I may have to fix that. I created the stickers in InDesign, printed on full sheet Avery label and "laminated" with good clear packing tape.

Thanks to pinballrebel for the instruction card art.

You can see the Mondial residue on the apron next to the right instruction card. Can't pull myself to Goo Gone it away. If someone has a photo of a Mondial sticker they can post, I'll make a replacement. All the original stuff preserved and inside the cabinet.

after apron (resized).jpgafter apron (resized).jpg
before apron (resized).jpgbefore apron (resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago

Try WD40 and a microfiber to remove the glue off the apron.

#123 7 years ago

For some reason I like the reminder that this was an export ... a nod to its early life. Unfortunately Mondial can't tell me where. I wish there was a way to track the chain of custody on pins. I'd love to know where my pins lived (and where the grime and smoke residue came from!) and how they eventually found their way to me. I wonder if my Flash was an export too. When cleaning the coin slots, I found an insert for "centimes" behind the Williams logo. Maybe they used as a filler...

#124 7 years ago

OK. This is done for now. Had to replace the woofer, which wasn't working at all. Found this $9 replacement on parts-express and the game sounds so, so much better. The punch SFX vibrates the cabinet at the volume i like. How do I know it's high-quality? It says so on the label. All high quality stuff says it is. (It IS actually quite good.)

Also, I rethought the LEDs a bit. Put red, white and blue in the car crunch. I like the way the street color changes as the car is pushed back. Also, in the back light bar, Ryan at Comet said it looked dark to him in the back, so, of course, it started to look dark to me. Put whites in the center four spots to brighten the upper playfield, and then tried blues on the outside two. Now the shooter lane track has a nice blue all the way down, and the blue sides look better. Ok, I'm done. For now.

IMG_6079 (resized).jpegIMG_6079 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6083 (resized).jpegIMG_6083 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6084 (resized).jpegIMG_6084 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6085 (resized).jpegIMG_6085 (resized).jpeg

IMG_6072 (resized).jpegIMG_6072 (resized).jpeg

#125 7 years ago

Really like the R/W/B in the car smash!

1 month later
#126 7 years ago

I love following the work you've done on this machine.

I bought a SF2 recently, and it's my first pin. With all the work you've done (especially on the car crunch), I was hoping you could help me with a problem I've had since I bought it. Any time the ball rolls over the edges of the car crunch, it gets slowed down or diverted. The lower playfield is not flush with the top playfield. I don't really know if it's missing a lining or maybe some washers that give it that fraction of an inch lift that would make it a bit higher and even with everything else...but I do know that the car crunch was removed and worked on as it was broken before I bought it (and still missing the car).

Thanks in advance and keep us posted on the build. It gave me a lot of ideas.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dilemma-use-cab-parts-for-a-vp-or-restore-sell/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.