(Topic ID: 111210)

Dilemma: Buy a TWDLE without playing it first?

By Tazmancat

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by T7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBaller_old:

Just purchased a NIB and after talking to most of the reportable distributors, they are down to the last handful. I would estimate there are less than 30 NIB left on the market. I talked to Stern at IAAPA and they said all 600 have been sold to distributors. What's left on the market now will likely be gone before Christmas. Once this happens, we will see how the pricing plays out for the early sellers. There will be a very limited supply. If someone wants a TWD LE, they will have to pay up!

I don't think anyone has to worry about the price on this one. That LE is now asking only $6500.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I don't think anyone has to worry about the price on this one. That LE is now asking only $6500.

I don't see that one anywhere. Marketplace or Forum - can you provide a link as I have a friend that is debating Pro/LE and this could easily help him decide to go LE.

#53 9 years ago

Am I the only TWDLE owner that thinks the game is "just ok"?

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBaller_old:

Just purchased a NIB and after talking to most of the reportable distributors, they are down to the last handful. I would estimate there are less than 30 NIB left on the market. I talked to Stern at IAAPA and they said all 600 have been sold to distributors. What's left on the market now will likely be gone before Christmas. Once this happens, we will see how the pricing plays out for the early sellers. There will be a very limited supply. If someone wants a TWD LE, they will have to pay up!

Sorry, but your post reads like an TWDLE owner who is doing a pump and dump.

#55 9 years ago

well, we are sold out of the ones we bought and Stern is , too.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I don't see that one anywhere. Marketplace or Forum - can you provide a link as I have a friend that is debating Pro/LE and this could easily help him decide to go LE.

Its on mrpinball as of today. Same one posted here for 7k and right in our area (Aurora). Says $6500

#57 9 years ago

5 days and no response to all the generous suggestions being offered?
I have a few questions for the OP to help with the decision making process, but I'm not seeing any engagement here.
-mof

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

I bought the LE without playing it. No regrets.

So did I, couldn't be happier barring a few issues. However, I would recommend playing one to help you ease your decision making if you are having doubts.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Mine came with wonky flippers and switched that needed adjusting so I started out mad at the game. All I posted was how dumb it was.
Now I am totally turned around and rank it up there with ACDC (I know not your fave as well) and MET. To me great games. Its different, which is a good break up. Amazing theme and fun shots. It really challenges me. I now play it like crazy!

#60 9 years ago

In just a few short days, those TWD toppers in the Stern store have sold down to about 70 now from 200.

I'd say that's a good sign of the excitement level with this pin. It's only going to get better as more people actually get to play a HUO environment set up pin.!

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Now I am totally turned around and rank it up there with ACDC (I know not your fave as well) and MET. To me great games. Its different, which is a good break up. Amazing theme and fun shots. It really challenges me. I now play it like crazy!

Yes it does, right up there with Ac/dc for me! Aren't you glad now I pushed you over the top on the LE

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Mine came with wonky flippers and switched that needed adjusting so I started out mad at the game. All I posted was how dumb it was.

I think I like acdc quite a bit better to be honest. I think ACDC is a great game. Just a bit overrated my pinsiders who can't see any of its flaws.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think I like acdc quite a bit better to be honest. I think ACDC is a great game. Just a bit overrated my pinsiders who can't see any of its flaws.

Well I just played some back to back on both TWD and Ac/dc and I'm gonna say they are just BOTH great.

There are plenty of flaws on both but who gives a flying F. They are FUN as _______.

Now I'm gonna fire up the SM, Wh20, and LOTR Le, along with TWD and see what happens.

Gonna get crazy up in here tonight ya'll!

#64 9 years ago

nevermind was already posted

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

There are plenty of flaws on both but who gives a flying F. They are FUN as ______.

I dunno. Some of those flaws make the games more frustrating than fun. Twd pops area for example can be a source of unfun. The rubber fix I added helps with pop exits SDTM but it doesn't solve it. A lot of pops exits hit the rubber and head to the left outlane. Honestly I wish the game had no pops. Then I think I would love it.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I dunno. Some of those flaws make the games more frustrating than fun. Twd pops area for example can be a source of unfun. The rubber fix I added helps with pop exits SDTM but it doesn't solve it. A lot of pops exits hit the rubber and head to the left outlane. Honestly I wish the game had no pops. Then I think I would love it.

Easy fix on pops. Loosen switches to make them less sensitive or in your case unplug em?

Not bothering me. In fact, I nudge the pin to try to maximize my pop countdowns for don't open dead inside walker release.

#67 9 years ago

I'm a big fan of the show and a pinball collector. Love the Zombie theme. But canceled my pre-order for TWDLE once it was revealed.

There a lot of fans of this pin here so my opinion is probably in the minority.

I don't like the color scheme. I don't like the art package. It just looks like a big advertisement for AMC and the show. Kind of like buying a really expensive movie poster.

I hadn't played one until last night. I put about 6 games on an LE and it was just meh for me.

My two sons who don't watch the show also played it and said the same thing.

There are a lot of great pins out there and this one is not close to top 20 material. And you can buy most of the top 20 for much less.

Good luck with your decision.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from roc-noc:

I'm a big fan of the show and a pinball collector. Love the Zombie theme. But canceled my pre-order for TWDLE once it was revealed.
There a lot of fans of this pin here so my opinion is probably in the minority.
I don't like the color scheme. I don't like the art package. It just looks like a big advertisement for AMC and the show. Kind of like buying a really expensive movie poster.
I hadn't played one until last night. I put about 6 games on an LE and it was just meh for me.
My two sons who don't watch the show also played it and said the same thing.
There are a lot of great pins out there and this one is not close to top 20 material. And you can buy most of the top 20 for much less.
Good luck with your decision.

Not a pin to judge after 6 or even 12 plays, takes time. This will be a game that matures into something amazing, I would agree that out of the gates its rough but once its modded, fixed up, and the code is finished something special here. I love it now, can only get better.

#69 9 years ago

SM and LOTR are the only pins I have purchased without playing first. What could go wrong with those titles? I ended up selling both after a year as they just didnt do it for me.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

SM and LOTR are the only pins I have purchased without playing first. What could go wrong with those titles? I ended up selling both after a year as they just didnt do it for me.

A year is a long time for a pin, am I in the minority for flipping pins pretty regular? I loved LOTR's and played the shit out of it, once I got to wizard mode and completed all tasks I sold it. I don't but know but 3 to 5 hundred plays is more than enough. After a few years maybe try to pick one up again and have some fun but most pins for me don't last years. Anyway I guess if I had the room it would be nice to keep them all and enjoy the rotation but how many guys have space for 30+ machines.

#71 9 years ago

Careful! !! I did this with my STLE and then got bored of it quickly, sold it!

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

No, you're just the only "honest" TWDLE owner that thinks the game is "just OK."

#73 9 years ago

It's the most fun I've had since acdc. What else provides "that" rush. Not a fan of theme of Metallica or mustang. Enjoy it a lot more than Star Trek (and I found that fun...not a big Trekkie). It definitely helps when you love the theme. I find the game has good objectives. Different goals and very unique and challenging shots. Sdtms , without my error, suck and those outlanes are hungry. Bigger rubbers, 3 second ball save after a prison hit?

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Easy fix on pops. Loosen switches to make them less sensitive or in your case unplug em?
Not bothering me. In fact, I nudge the pin to try to maximize my pop countdowns for don't open dead inside walker release.

It's not an easy fix because the problem is the way the ball exits from the area. Your suggestions just get the ball to exit from the area sooner and has nothing to do with how the ball exits from. Not having pops assumes the ball gates are routed in such a way for smooth ball flow. Not clunky draining exits that land on slingshots.

#75 9 years ago

I've only ever purchased three games without playing them first .... WOZ, RAZA, and TWDLE. I ended up being disappointed by WOZ and sold it. I'm really enjoying the TWDLE so far. The jury is still out on RAZA.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Wow, really. Did not have the chance to play twd yet but have Met and Ac/dc and love them. I have been reading a lot of your posts this last year and share a lot of your taste in pins. If you say it's that good I guess I better try it ASAP.

#77 9 years ago

never buy anything without playing at least 50 games on it. Unless it's dirt cheap and you won't lose your ass if it sucks and you need to move it.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It's not an easy fix because the problem is the way the ball exits from the area. Your suggestions just get the ball to exit from the area sooner and has nothing to do with how the ball exits from. Not having pops assumes the ball gates are routed in such a way for smooth ball flow. Not clunky draining exits that land on slingshots.

I was joking. Not clunky at all. You need to nudge this game. You need to manipulate the ball more than just standing there waiting for it to roll to you.

I recall when Tron came out. Game is too fast. Too many SDTM's from spinning disc. Gem shot sucks. Game is a turd. Yada yada.

I haven't been challenged in a pinball game like this since I sold my Tron LE.

You have two or three horrible games, you warm up to it, then you find yourself stacking modes and having a blast. Design is brutal and entertaining. I guess lots of players aren't into challenging pins.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I was joking. Not clunky at all. You need to nudge this game. You need to manipulate the ball more than just standing there waiting for it to roll to you.
I recall when Tron came out. Game is too fast. Too many SDTM's from spinning disc. Gem shot sucks. Game is a turd. Yada yada.
I haven't been challenged in a pinball game like this since I sold my TRON LE.
You have two or three horrible games, you warm up to it, then you find yourself stacking modes and having a blast. Design is brutal and entertaining. I guess lots of players aren't into challenging pins.

Yea I am not looking for game play tips or easier games. I've put scores up > 200 mil on it. I'm saying that I am not in love with this game because it is often too frustrating and that if say the pops didn't exist and were replaced by a ball guide that kept the ball in proper flow I think the game would be more fun. "Nudge the machine more" isn't really a response to that

#80 9 years ago

I love that its frustrating and that I need to be physical with the pin, a lot of quick games and swearing then a great game and the feeling that comes with that is unique as compared to marathon pins, or easy repetitive shots. I think that's part of it's addictive nature. I will say the ultimate mod for this pin would be to remove the right pop and have a custom lane guide for a smooth left orbit shot. Leaves room for a nice mod where the pop was and keeps this pin flowing even faster.

#81 9 years ago

Well, considering the mixed reviews, I'd say play it first, especially if the hubby isn't sold on it. That being said, I love mine and I don't have the problem with drains off the pops like markmon does. Sadly I still can't play well enough to put up the scores he does either. lol

The theme and art sold me on the game. I'm in the minority I'm sure, but a part of the reason I've bought the pins I have is because I like how they look, as I actually look at them more than play them. Fortunately, I love how all 3 play as well.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think it is just ok. Not great. I played about 10 games on it and really was not that impressed and I love the show. The Metallica Pro next to it was a significantly better game.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I love that its frustrating and that I need to be physical with the pin

To me there's a difference between a challenging pin and one that is frustrating.

#84 9 years ago

TWDLE is both

#85 9 years ago

Haven't read any of the replies but my opinion: Don't do it. It's mostly trying to survive, most of the shots are SDTM if not going through. And even after plunge you can/will be in danger when ball comes from the bumpers. On the other hand, it suits the theme quite well, you are horrified all the time

#86 9 years ago

With just a few adjustments TWDLE isn't any more frustrating than other recent Sterns.
For my games, the frustration order would be: AC/DC -> IM -> TWDLE -> Metallica -> Tron

#87 9 years ago

Maybe you guys just need to go to Slap Save School

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Maybe you guys just need to go to Slap Save School

There is something fundamentally wrong in design if you have to slap save after ball is launched. If it needs to be done after missed shot, that's acceptable in most cases. But I have to admit that I really like MM's ramp triangles that forces ball to certain direction if comes backwards

#89 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. As much as I want this pin, I've decided to wait and play the machine before purchasing it. Maybe next year I can pick up a really nice HUO machine. Appreciate all the advice from you all.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Tazmancat:

Thanks everyone for the responses. As much as I want this pin, I've decided to wait and play the machine before purchasing it. Maybe next year I can pick up a really nice HUO machine. Appreciate all the advice from you all.

Even as a big fan of this pin I would say this is your best bet. Wait for all the fixes and code to be implemented and save a grand or two. If I had patience I would do this myself. I finally achieved it with video games and am around a year behind the new releases, get them fully working, patched and for a 1/4 the cost. I paid 5500 for my Xmen LE and sold it for the same, Avengers LE in the and around the same thing, Metallica too. TWDLE is certainly a lot of fun but I think you may be making the smart decision.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Not a good idea. And loving the theme does not say much, cause the game could be any zombiethemed pin with AMC on it. Its not well integrated, the theme.
It looks like alot of people like it. I dont, at all.
Best is to play it yourself and then make up your mind.

I've had some plays on it now, and I like it better. Especially the LE. Decent enough game to play, fun stacking the multiballs, and I'm sure the code will get better.

That being said - and in the wake of watching the Walking Dead finale last night - can't emphasize enough how badly they flubbed the theme integration. The pinball machine just doesn't come anywhere near getting the mood right. As I've said before, it isn't even the lack of actual actors or show sound clips. They didn't need that to get the correct atmosphere of the show.

They really blew it, and that isn't gonna change without major changes to the code - the kind of major changes we've never seen on a Stern before. If you are a huge fan of the show and that's the reason you want to buy this game sight unseen, I think buying it would be a huge mistake and a big letdown.

If you just think zombies are cool and wanna roll the dice you'll still end up with a fun game.

And if it doesn't work out, be prepared to lose a grand or two when you sell it, which has been the fate of many LE buyers over the past few years.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Tensikka:

There is something fundamentally wrong in design if you have to slap save after ball is launched.

^^^
Truth.

I got in about 10 games of TWD the other day, and was really surprised to have about 1/8 of my plunges go SDTM. One time, it auto-saved the ball and repeated the SDTM.

-mof

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

^^^
Truth.
I got in about 10 games of TWD the other day, and was really surprised to have about 1/8 of my plunges go SDTM. One time, it auto-saved the ball and repeated the SDTM.
-mof

Haven't noticed this issue on my location LE game. Stuff like this can often be fixed by adjusting/leveling etc.

#94 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That being said - and in the wake of watching the Walking Dead finale last night - can't emphasize enough how badly they flubbed the theme integration. The pinball machine just doesn't come anywhere near getting the mood right. As I've said before, it isn't even the lack of actual actors or show sound clips. They didn't need that to get the correct atmosphere of the show.

They really blew it, and that isn't gonna change without major changes to the code - the kind of major changes we've never seen on a Stern before.

It's definitely one of my biggest complaints. I think the theme integration is pretty bad as it stands, but I don't know if I agree that this is something that can't be improved without major changes to the code. Just adding actual quotes from the show would help.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

All that is needed is one slightly larger post sleeve - literally a 30 second fix.
Too bad some location operators may not care enough to do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 16.00
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Yonkers, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dilemma-buy-a-wdle-without-playing-it-first/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.