• Latest reply 6 years ago by cooked71
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170809_171845647 (resized).jpg
IMG_1184 (resized).JPG
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

So I'm pretty excited - I have a Dialed In coming tomorrow. I have basically been out of the hobby over the past couple years, so this is the first pinball move I have made in awhile (sadly, two of my existing pins were sacrificed to make this a reality).

Combing through all the posts regarding Dialed In, I have distilled a checklist of a few things I need to look into. I am hoping some owners out there can share some of their adjustments / advice that I may have missed.

1. Turn upper flipper coil strength down to 15 (so as to not destroy the SIM hole) - consider metal protectors from Cliffy or factory (WIP).
2. Check the sensitivity of the skill shot switch (top of the playfield) to avoid balls hang ups.
3. Adjust magnet delay time in Quantum Reality theater (in diags) so the ball is tossed back up into the pops and not dropped SDTM.
4. Protect cabinet art from destruction from deadly possible new leg design (I bought felt from Terry).
5. Make sure the trap door is working and doesn't get stuck. Lloyd recommends applying a spot of oil to pivot point and release coil contact point mechanism.
6. Factory mylar over the two magnet cores may bubble over time - one solution is to remove mylar installed directly on the metal cores.
7. Adjust backbox lock mechanism as necessary to correct design flaw (early production models only).

I think that is all I can remember - if there is anything else, I sure would appreciate a heads-up!

-PC

#2 6 years ago

Cut some mylar and protect your shooter lane trough kickout area.

If yours doesn't come from the factory with mylar at the SIM card and phone holes, ask JJP for them. They're sending them out as a stopgap until the metal protector(s) is/are ready.

If they haven't fixed it at the factory, your backbox lock might need to be adjusted. Basically the problem is the lock paddle is about 1/8" too long and the "L" end goes PAST the back of the backglass, dragging on the moulding for the backglass. It's a BITCH to get it out initially if this is the case. Once you do, remove the lock paddle and bend it forward at the end, so it will have the effect of raising it up a little when in the "locked" position. Re-install and it should all be good.

If it bothers you, the exhaust fan for the back of the head can be replaced with a much quieter one.

#3 6 years ago

Check the exit from your lock ramp wireform

Spend 10 minutes trying to open your backbox and then give up

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cut some mylar and protect your shooter lane trough kickout area.
If yours doesn't come from the factory with mylar at the SIM card and phone holes, ask JJP for them. They're sending them out as a stopgap until the metal protector(s) is/are ready.
If they haven't fixed it at the factory, your backbox lock might need to be adjusted. Basically the problem is the lock paddle is about 1/8" too long and the "L" end goes PAST the back of the backglass, dragging on the moulding for the backglass. It's a BITCH to get it out initially if this is the case. Once you do, remove the lock paddle and bend it forward at the end, so it will have the effect of raising it up a little when in the "locked" position. Re-install and it should all be good.
If it bothers you, the exhaust fan for the back of the head can be replaced with a much quieter one.

You know - after reading through some of these threads the other day, I removed the backglass on my WOZ for the first time. That was a bitch. This must be a design feature of JJP I'll keep this thread handy when I remove the DI backglass - thx.

I do have a sheet of mylar - somewhere.. maybe, I haven't looked through my pinball stash in awhile.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Check the exit from your lock ramp wireform
Spend 10 minutes trying to open your backbox and then give up

This is the first I heard anything about the wireform exit - what's the deal with it?

#6 6 years ago

great thread as I have one coming in a month or so. Please update initial post with a list if the list grows.

Thanks!

#7 6 years ago

I used a small drop of hot glue on each of the QED Mascot guy's hands where he's holding the lightning bolt to keep it secure (some owners were reporting the lightning bolt would fall out of his hands during gameplay).

#8 6 years ago

My intermediate left ramp micro switch arm needed adjusted to register ramp shots consistently.

#9 6 years ago

Anyone having issues with balls getting stuck on the main left ramp wireform entry? It tends to happen anytime the player shoots a really weak shot up the ramp, it will just barely get up the ramp, make it onto the wireform, and then just sits there. I have tried adjusting the side to side level in all kinds of different ways as well as the pitch of the game. None of these adjustments seem to make much of a difference.

Also, the flippers seem fairly weak. I adjusted them to 25, which does feel a bit snappier, but the menu says I can go to 32 as the max, but it wont go higher than 25 for any of the three flippers. Anyone else notice this as well?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

4. Protect cabinet art from destruction from deadly possible new leg design (I bought felt from Terry).

-PC

Definitely this. Not sure felt will do the trick.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

I doubled up on leg protectors by adding Mantua ones. All good now.

#12 6 years ago

This is the first I heard anything about the wireform exit - what's the deal with it?

I seem to be the only one I've heard also. It was throwing the ball towards the middle, I just had to move it's bottom connection over a bit and tighten it down. It's all on top of the plastics so nothing big. I feel like maybe the wireform itself is bent to be honest but whatever.

Quoted from parabol420:

Also, the flippers seem fairly weak. I adjusted them to 25, which does feel a bit snappier, but the menu says I can go to 32 as the max, but it wont go higher than 25 for any of the three flippers. Anyone else notice this as well?

Right flipper is the issue for me, super weak. I cranked it up a bit and it still doesn't make the left orbit EVER (actualkly it did once. I need to check the switch height in the orbit I was told but it just feels weak as shit. Shooting ramp with left flipper is not quite Dirty Harry level but you lots of rejects.

#13 6 years ago

Thanks everyone, all good so far! Looking forward to the kids going to bed so I can really dig into these tips.

IMG_1184 (resized).JPGIMG_1184 (resized).JPG

#14 6 years ago

Thanks everyone, all good so far! Looking forward to the kids going to bed so I can really dig into these tips.

She's a beauty and fun to play - looking forward to more nights like tonight.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Right flipper is the issue for me, super weak. I cranked it up a bit and it still doesn't make the left orbit EVER (actualkly it did once. I need to check the switch height in the orbit I was told but it just feels weak as shit. Shooting ramp with left flipper is not quite Dirty Harry level but you lots of rejects.

Yeah, my right flipper was also very weak. So much so that I also couldnt make the orbit. I played with the flipper mechs and noticed quite a bit more resistance on the right flipper compared to the other two. I ended up just rebuilding the right flipper, new plunger, new coil stop, and new coil sleeve. This definitely helped. The ball nows zips around the orbits and the ramps, but still a little weak compared to other games.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

What is the issue with the legs and what is the recommended fix?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from parabol420:

I played with the flipper mechs and noticed quite a bit more resistance on the right flipper compared to the other two. I ended up just rebuilding the right flipper, new plunger, new coil stop, and new coil sleeve.

Cool thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I can get some time to fiddle with it this weekend.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What is the issue with the legs and what is the recommended fix?

I've heard that the legs have been coming in contact with the decal at a specific pinch point causing some creasing. I added some felt and made sure I didn't overtighten the legs. Seems to work OK so far (one day .
I haven't noticed an underpowered right flipper yet - will pay attention the next time I play tonight.
Other observations:
My game has a mfr date of 7/12/17
The upper flipper coil strength was already set to 15 at the factory - I turned it up to 17 as 15 was just too weak.
Right flasher light on the moving target wasn't working - it was a loose cable.
I have a noticeable scuff on the right side head decal - probably from the factory
My trap door was working good - but then wouldn't shut after about a dozen plays - temp fix by manually actuating the device.
One of the LEDs in the phone is dead - ugh, I bet that won't be easy to replace (I assume it will need a new pcb).
The pop bumber GI light is missing the connector cable entirely. I looked and looked for a dangling stray cable that may have jarred loose - but no luck so far. It seems GI lighting comes from an octopus type connector (a defined number of wire harnesses join at a common molex connector) - so this seems strange.
The spotlight on Betty flickers when lit - much like the acrylic wizard on WOZ. I wonder if this is just inherent in the lighting system?
Backglass popped right off - no trouble at all
All-in-all pretty minor considering how much stuff is packed into this pin. Looking at the phone, though, I bet it will be a real PITA to fix.
IMG_20170809_171845647 (resized).jpgIMG_20170809_171845647 (resized).jpg

Added over 7 years ago: update - I found the missing cable to the pop bumper GI light and plugged it in.

#19 6 years ago

What aboot Bob's bottom 2 lights?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What aboot Bob's bottom 2 lights?

By Bob - do you mean the moving target, the Bob sign or something else?

#21 6 years ago

The Sign. The Moving dude is QED

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The Sign. The Moving dude is QED

Right - just wanted to make sure. Is there a known issue with the bottom two lights on the sign? Mine are working fine (I tested individually in LED test).

#23 6 years ago

Is there a known issue with the bottom two lights on the sign?

I think I've just heard one other person say it besides me...maybe 2. I consider it a prank form the line.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballJeff:

She's a beauty and fun to play - looking forward to more nights like tonight.

Me too - but maybe next time we don't drink El Toro tequila; the little red hat isn't worth the junk booze hangover - I'll spring for the good stuff

#25 6 years ago

Me too - but maybe next time we don't drink El Toro tequila; the little red hat isn't worth the hangover - I'll spring for the good stuff

#26 6 years ago

Something else I noticed in YouTube videos; I love that the comic strip cycles during attract mode. Mine hasn't shown that yet. Is it something that happens very occasionally and I haven't had it in attract long enough? I didn't notice anything in settings that mentions it.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

I can confirm this does in fact work. I added the pinball life felt over the metal protectors and have space around all legs.
You can double up the metal stand offs or get the Mantis ones which are thicker.
All owners need to do one of these options, or there will be wrinkling of the decals if you don't take action.
Luckily, I did right out of the box. Enjoy the game and congrats!

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think I've just heard one other person say it besides me...maybe 2. I consider it a prank form the line.

Nope - I just noticed while playing tonight that my bottom BOB light were reversed, too

Three occurrences makes a trend, three trends make it common.

I did just spent an hour fixing the trap door. That is a hot mess that is sure to cause a lot of problems unless JJP changes something on the mech. I had to take it off, study it, figure out how it works and fix it.

I did find the cable that was not connected to the GI for the jets. It was bound into a ziptie bunch - needed to cut the zip to retrieve and connect it and rezip. Works great now.

I do just love the game, tho. Sound quality is amazing, far better than WOZ.

#29 6 years ago

Cut the mylar that sits on the drone and theatre magnet cores out, or you'll regret it later. The part on the magnet core will peel over time and leave a sticky residue on the magnet core causing the ball to stick to it every time the magnet grabs it.

#30 6 years ago

I'm getting a DILE in a few weeks, is it really necessary to do all these things? This is my first time buying a new machine and it seems strange that there would be so much wrong with it.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

I'm getting a DILE in a few weeks, is it really necessary to do all these things? This is my first time buying a new machine and it seems strange that there would be so much wrong with it.

It's not necessary, but if you want the game to perform as it was intended to - then yes.

Chances are, if you don't adjust the magnet delay, the theater won't work properly and will often send the ball straight down the middle.

For me, if I didn't fix the trapdoor mechanism, it never would shut and I wouldn't have the left orbit shot available (making it impossible to complete certain modes).

Not waiting for better protection, my SIM card hole chipped - but I can live with that (it is not something you can see unless you look for it).

If I didn't check for loose connectors, some of my LEDs would still be non-operational.

It's common on all new machines to do some end user adjustments - it is not a big deal. These complex mechanical devices get jarred around quite a bit during shipping.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Cut the mylar that sits on the drone and theatre magnet cores out, or you'll regret it later. The part on the magnet core will peel over time and leave a sticky residue on the magnet core causing the ball to stick to it every time the magnet grabs it.

I cut out the mylar on the drone core - it was pretty gummy already but cleaned up nice. I am not going to bother with the theater core - too hard to access that location. It will be a good test to see what happens if you cut out the core as compared to not cutting it out. Great advice, though.

#33 6 years ago

It's not necessary, but if you want the game to perform as it was intended to - then yes.
Chances are, if you don't adjust the magnet delay, the theater won't work properly and will often send the ball straight down the middle.
For me, if I didn't fix the trapdoor mechanism, it never would shut and I wouldn't have the left orbit shot available (making it impossible to complete certain modes).
Not waiting for better protection, my SIM card hole chipped - but I can live with that (it is not something you can see unless you look for it).
If I didn't check for loose connectors, some of my LEDs would still be non-operational.
It's common on all new machines to do some end user adjustments - it is not a big deal. These complex mechanical devices get jarred around quite a bit during shipping.

How should I adjust the magnet time? Also, what's the deal with the leg protectors? Will my cabinet get damaged if I don't use leg protectors as people suggested? If so, what kind would you recommend I use? And do I use both the factory protectors and the protector I buy?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

How should I adjust the magnet time? Also, what's the deal with the leg protectors? Will my cabinet get damaged if I don't use leg protectors as people suggested? If so, what kind would you recommend I use? And do I use both the factory protectors and the protector I buy?

I just put an extra nylon protector behind each bolt (same as the one in front that keeps the powder coating from getting chewed up by the bolt). Gave it just enough clearance for now, but I'll need a better metal protector for long-term.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I just put an extra nylon protector behind each bolt (same as the one in front that keeps the powder coating from getting chewed up by the bolt). Gave it just enough clearance for now, but I'll need a better metal protector for long-term.

Do you think a felt protector would work fine?

#36 6 years ago

Can someone give an explanation of how to fix the trap door? Has anyone opened a ticket for this issue?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Can someone give an explanation of how to fix the trap door? Has anyone opened a ticket for this issue?

Add some lubrication to the pivot point - silicone grease will work fine - then work it up and down by hand several times and add a little more if necessary. That's the most common thing people have had to do to make it work smoothly.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

Do you think a felt protector would work fine?

It would help, but I think you'll still get wrinkling at the one point where the leg pushes on the cabinet.

#39 6 years ago

Unfortunately, at least for me, I had to study the mech to figure out why the door wouldn't shut.

There are two coils used in the mech.

The big coil actuates a lever that opens the trap door.

The door stay open because of a "notch" that catches a small bent plate.

The small coil pulls the bent plate away and the door shuts via gravity - kind of the like the classic animal trap with a stick and box. When the animal is under the box, you pull a string that releases the stick and the box falls to trap the animal.

What is awry with DI trap door - when the small release coil pulls the bent plate away from the notch, it inadvertently forces the trap door to pop up briefly before it shuts and the bent plate falls back into the catch position after the coil pulse and before the door falls.

So using the animal trap analogy, when the stick gets pulled out from the box, the box pops upwards from the force of the stick being pulled away and the stick resets itself before the box falls to the ground.

In software this could be easily corrected by holding the small coil a few milliseconds longer to allow the door to shut (via gravity).

Mechanically, I had to remount the mechanism to ensure there was no friction with the lever mechanism, and slightly bend the catch plate so it doesn't make the trap door pop up as hard on release. A dab of oil on the catch plate can reduce the upward force of the trap door, but it wasn't enough to correct it for me.

Mechanically, it's kind of a complicated problem that could easily be resolved in software (at least I think .

#40 6 years ago

I cut out the mylar on the drone core - it was pretty gummy already but cleaned up nice. I am not going to bother with the theater core - too hard to access that location. It will be a good test to see what happens if you cut out the core as compared to not cutting it out. Great advice, though.

How do you cut out the mylar?

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

Xacto knife

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

I did end up cutting the Mylar from the theater core from the underside of the playfield. There are three screws holding the magnet in place, removing those allows you to pull the core and carefully cut out the Mylar from the under side with an exacto knife, clean the gunk off the core and replace. I needed to recalibrate the magnet delay in diags after reassembling.

#43 6 years ago

I did end up cutting the Mylar from the theater core from the underside of the playfield. There are three screws holding the magnet in place, removing those allows you to pull the core and carefully cut out the Mylar from the under side with an exacto knife, clean the gunk off the core and replace. I needed to recalibrate the magnet delay in diags after reassembling.

Did you do the same for the drone?

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Connor:

Did you do the same for the drone?

Nope - I cut the drone right on the playfield being very careful not to cut the wood, right around the magnet core seam. Use a sharp xacto with a fresh blade.

#45 6 years ago

When the ball shoots out of the phone scoop back to the flippers, it seems a little too strong. I have tried to live catch it but I am usually unsuccessful. It hits on the back part of the right flipper and bounces up, then sometimes to the left/out toward the center of the playfield and slowly drains down the middle. I have adjusted the two VUK settings, but it did not seem to help.

Any one else find this to be a problem and have you been able to make an adjustment to help with it?

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

When the ball shoots out of the phone scoop back to the flippers, it seems a little too strong. I have tried to live catch it but I am usually unsuccessful. It hits on the back part of the right flipper and bounces up, then sometimes to the left/out toward the center of the playfield and slowly drains down the middle. I have adjusted the two VUK settings, but it did not seem to help.
Any one else find this to be a problem and have you been able to make an adjustment to help with it?

i have same issue, but I view it as being part of the game and everything should not be so easy. I have caught it with the flipper sometimes, but most times it will bounce up and over the sling into the inlane or outlane.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

Any one else find this to be a problem...

Naw that's just gameplay.

#48 6 years ago

Has anyone been able to successfully backhand the left ramp (and it go all the way up it)?

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from psexton:

Has anyone been able to successfully backhand the left ramp (and it go all the way up it)?

Yes. It's hard, but you can do it.

#50 6 years ago

I disassembled and fixed my trap door today also cut the Mylar from my theatre and drone magnets.. loving this game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Lighting - Led
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 22.50
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dile-inbound-need-initial-adjustment-advise and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.