8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by AbacusMan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatFoxcoon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hello I am rather new here and I (obviously) like pinball but my tastes tend to go for the digital kind over the real ones. I like the real ones but I always loves the digital ones more for some reason. From the old NES pinball to the windows space cadet to pinball arcade I have played so many digital pinball games I guess I am hooked. I thought I would start a discussion as to why you like and or don't like digital ones. Of course it would not be fair to not go first so here I go.

Pros:

Cheaper, no thousands of dollars for just 1 machine. Just a small 1 time fee and you are ready to go.

Less space. It definitely takes up allot less space than a real machine and that brings me to my next point.

No mainline, with a real machine you have miles and miles of wires all along the inside, you have glass that can break, motors and servos to maintain, the playfield itself can wear out. None of this happens with a digital one. It’s always in perfect shape. Not to say the ball can't get stuck but that's true for real ones.

Portable. Well mostly depending on the game but now a days you can take pinball with you wherever you go. Real machines weight hundreds or more in weight and are not exactly made to be portable.

Varity. With Digital, you are no longer limited to one small play field, you have many many more opportunities now to be even more creative with pinball and interactive playfields. Plus you can have tons of different tables in just one small spot. Plus it gives you a chance to possible play really rare and or ancient tables that you just would never be able to see normally.

Noise. There’s no extra noise from all the motes and switches in digital games you just hear what is supposed to play over the speakers and that’s all.

Cons:

Quality: Admittedly I agree some pinball games are just utter trash and should never see the light of day. Anyone can make a game that looks like a pinball game but this also leads me to my next con.

Physics. Gravity and physics are some of the hardest thing to program into a pinball game to make it feel right. The speed and weight of the ball, how it moves over the field, how it interacts with all the other objects. Mess one little thing up and you turn a great game into a bad one. It's so very hard to create real physics in a pinball game (but yet they can do all sorts of neat trick in big budget games)

Variety. I know I said it before and this also is a con. While you can have allot of tables, there are far far more real tables then will ever probably see on digital. Since you have to deal with copyright and rarity and all other sorts of legal stuff.

I think that's all I can think of. But I would love to hear your thoughts on this. What makes you love or hate digital pinball?
    Thank you =}

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatFoxcoon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/digital-pinball-1?tu=FatFoxcoon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.