Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN5186 (resized).JPG
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrobinso99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 7 years ago

I burned through 4-5 cheaper DMMs in the $20 to $40 range before eventually getting Flukes. Some of the cheaper ones died completely, others didn't die completely but stopped working reliably. I now have 3 Flukes.

Beyond reliability, one of the features I like most about Flukes is how fast they are. I can measure continuity and diodes very quickly which allows me to run through all the checks I need to do on a given board in less time. When checking shorts to ground on a long row of transistors, I can literally just run the probe across the back of them listening for a tone as I go. I haven't found a cheap DMM that can do that unless I go really slowly. If I'm checking 50 components on a board, saving a second or two per check matters.

The other feature I really like is the tone on diode check as it prevents needing to look at the meter for every test. It makes life much easier when testing pinball boards as the diode check is probably the most common test I use. Not all Flukes have the feature. My current favorite is the 117 as it includes the diode tone test as well as the AutoV which is nice when testing parts of a board that could be either AC or DC.

-Jay

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrobinso99.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/digital-multimeters-recommendations?tu=jrobinso99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.