6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Biffbar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I am looking at getting a digital logic probe to do some probing on pinball boards. Any recommendations on what probe to buy?

Thanks
    Kickout

#2 6 years ago

I bought a cheap one from China to try it out, similar to ebay.com link: 1set High Frequency Response DTL TTL and CMOS LOGIC PROBE LP 1 and it's worked well enough I've never bothered to get a better one.

Although not useful as often as a logic probe, I also picked up a cheap logic analyzer, which basically lets you record multiple signals and view them on your computer. For quick board inspection the logic probe is much more convenient, but when you need to know anything beyond 'is this line high, low, or pulsing' (such as whether two sides of an inverter are inverting, or what speed the clock is going) it's really useful.

For $20-30 for both you can't go wrong.

#3 6 years ago

If you like to "build-it-yourself", here is a good kit version:

ebay.com link: Elenco LP 525K Digital Logic Probe DIY KIT requires soldering assembly

#4 6 years ago

I bought one of these a couple years ago and it worked pretty well for the board repair I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-LP-560-Logic-Probe/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ref=sr_1_3

#5 6 years ago

Elenco LP 560 is what I've used for years. Think I spent like ~$15 on Amazon. Probably saved me several grand in board replacements.

#6 6 years ago

R.S.R. 610B. It has audible tones plus the usual LED visual indicators. Tried some others but keep coming back to this one. Cheap too, maybe $20, or less.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/digital-logic-probe?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.