lev2 (resized).jpeg
lev1 (resized).jpeg
lev_h (resized).jpeg
IMG_2698 (resized).PNG
download (2) (resized).jpg
61i71BEaK6L._SL1500_ (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
spin_prod_1047591612 (resized).jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Looking to get a digital level, and wondering if this one would be a good choice:

https://www.amazon.ca/Swanson-Tool-SVT200-Digital-Neodymium/dp/B0083SGQWW/ref=sr_1_3

Was concerned that it has magnets, so didn't want it messing up anything on my MMR.

Any thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

Use your phone?

Just a thought.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Use your phone?
Just a thought.

That's what I use. Just downloaded a Clinometer in the Play Store. Works awesome..

#4 7 years ago

How accurate is it? Just curious. I bought a cheap digital level off amazon and when i spin it 180 degrees its off like a quarter of a degree each time.

#5 7 years ago

Damien here's another option for you.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=CN-A18W0pNICFZOIswodXw8DTA&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Works well, probably cheaper and readily available. I particularly like the audible level feature as it allows you to adjust the machine without crawling back and forth to check the bubble.

spin_prod_1047591612 (resized).jpgspin_prod_1047591612 (resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Watched the video for the Craftsman level. They can't even spell IMPORTANT correctly in the ad. Considering it is in huge, bold letters on the screen you would think someone would noticed.

SMH... no one edits anymore. Terrible.

#7 7 years ago

I use that Craftsman level. Despite some apparent problems with the ad, the level itself works fantastically and is incredibly accurate. A lot of phones have cameras that stick out slightly from the face of the phone now. This will affect leveling slightly.

Just my two cents, depends on how perfect you want your leveling to be.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

That's what I use. Just downloaded a Clinometer in the Play Store. Works awesome..

I think it's very accurate. You have to go back and forth under the pin because it has no audio of any kind. Does side to side and top to bottom all at once. I have a Galaxy S6, so it lays completely flat on the PF... it's free, I'd at least try it

#9 7 years ago

I have the craftsman but it never worked, maybe I'll put batteries in it one day.

You can also download the pin leveller app which annoyingly yells at you what you need to do whenst you're under the machine. I mean it's tell you what to do not trying to annoy you...works well. You can set the angle to your choosing.

#10 7 years ago

I have this crafstman digital level somewhere but I never use it. I just set up game. Play it a few times and adjust the leg levelers as I see fit.

How improtant is using a level to you?
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#11 7 years ago

I'm a details person. I need empirical evidence that my game is 0.0 degrees left-to-right and 6.5 or 7.0 or whatever in pitch.

Like I said, different people have different needs.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

A lot of phones have cameras that stick out slightly from the face of the phone now. This will affect leveling slightly.

Some phone cases can eliminate this problem. I use the free Clinometer android app and aside from it not being audible (which would be handy at times), it suits my needs as long as I have a way of keeping the phone, um, level. My old case had a protrusion around the phone lens that caused issues, so I got a different case that does not.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Use your phone?

Could you expand on that please?

download (2) (resized).jpgdownload (2) (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

You put a level on top of the hand set, and when it stops falling off the playfield is level.

#17 7 years ago

Damian just go to Canadian Tire, they have them there and cheap too.

#18 7 years ago

Use the PinGuy app. use the PinGuy app. PinGuy!

Best leveling app for machines - take the glass off, stick your phone between the flippers and the phone calls out how much each side (left/right or front/back) needs to be leveled. Even if you're under the machine pushing with your back, or using a jack, it's dead simple. And it's accurate

#19 7 years ago

The PinGuy app is the one you need.

IMG_2698 (resized).PNGIMG_2698 (resized).PNG

#20 7 years ago

I have the Craftsman level, used it for years and it's great, very reasonable price.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Damian just go to Canadian Tire, they have them there and cheap too.

Went to Canadian Tire, and they had a shitty Mastercraft one. I bought it just to test out, but plan to bring it back.

I ended up taking the legs in to their lowest setting in the back, and same in the front, and I got it down from about 8 degrees to 6.8.

Then got the horizontal to 0, but it kept going up to 0.05-0.10 and back to 0.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I ended up taking the legs in to their lowest setting in the back, and same in the front, and I got it down from about 8 degrees to 6.8.

That doesn't seem right. Usually the front legs are down to the lowest possible and rear are about half to 2/3rds up. That gets you pretty close to 6.5 unless your floors are sloped badly but hey if you got 6.5 then leave it. The mastercraft digital level works well, no need to return it.

#23 7 years ago

Craftman level is way more accurate then any phone apps! I have 3 phone apps that all read slightly different on the same phone but as soon as i got my digital level it changed the way all my games played since the phone apps were not 100% accurate. Phone apps are nice for a quick leveling if you dont have a digital level around illl give them that.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

The PinGuy app is the one you need.

This what I use as well. It works great and once you add it to your database, you don't have to pull the glass to get it re-leveled.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

That doesn't seem right. Usually the front legs are down to the lowest possible and rear are about half to 2/3rds up. That gets you pretty close to 6.5 unless your floors are sloped badly but hey if you got 6.5 then leave it. The mastercraft digital level works well, no need to return it.

I put the level in the gutter, facing up vertically. It read 6.8, and that was with all 4 legs at the lowest point.

I did the calibration on the floor in front of the machine. Any suggestion on where to calibrate?

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This what I use as well. It works great and once you add it to your database, you don't have to pull the glass to get it re-leveled.

I have Android, and don't think we have that app

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

You do. Go to Play store and search "Pinball Leveller" and it will show 3...first be by "Nottud" is the one.
Same shit

#28 7 years ago

What a great app! Even if it's not as accurate as the Craftsman level you can get it close. Or better yet calibrate the phone to match the craftsman level.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Looking to get a digital level, and wondering if this one would be a good choice:
amazon.com link »
Was concerned that it has magnets, so didn't want it messing up anything on my MMR.
Any thoughts?

9" is too long. Get the 7" Craftsman. It fits a lot better up and down the playfield.

#30 7 years ago

Pinguy app......Digital level......Pinguy app.....Digital level.....wabbit season......duck season.......wabbit season......duck season.

#31 7 years ago

Used a digital level, and got these numbers.

Also, does the bubble level look ok?

The from and back legs are adjusted to the lowest setting, so I feel like I might be doing something wrong?

lev_h (resized).jpeglev_h (resized).jpeg

lev1 (resized).jpeglev1 (resized).jpeg

lev2 (resized).jpeglev2 (resized).jpeg

lev3 (resized).jpeglev3 (resized).jpeg

bubble (resized).jpegbubble (resized).jpeg

#32 7 years ago

The bubble level is correct.
Going from memory, each line is half a degree, the bold line is 6 degrees.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The bubble level is correct.
Going from memory, each line is half a degree, the bold line is 6 degrees.

In that case, I guess I should raise the rear legs a bit to get it closer to the next line (6.5)?

#34 7 years ago

Oh, one other thing. When using something like Pinapp, where are you guys placing your phone? On the flippers? Is the phone horizontal or vertical?

#35 7 years ago

Being 0.5 degrees off side-to-side is not great and will affect game play. I recommend getting it within 0.1 degrees. And get it within 0.1 from the front to the back. You can check it just above the flippers, mid playfield, and just in front of the ramps. I think your pitch ranging from 6.3-6.9 is just fine. I'd leave that be.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

9" is too long. Get the 7"

no comments on that? Like...That's what she NEVER said! Maybe it's just me...<sigh>

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I found the Android Bubble Level App to be pretty darn close. My MMR is perfectly leveled and at at 6.5 degrees and this app with no adjustments gave me 6.6 degrees on my tablet; keep in mind the larger surface area of a tablet should make it inherently more accurate than a phone. But for free, how can you beat it?

Bubble Level (resized).JPGBubble Level (resized).JPG

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I found the Android Bubble Level App to be pretty darn close. My MMR is perfectly leveled and at at 6.5 degrees and this app with no adjustments gave me 6.6 degrees on my tablet; keep in mind the larger surface area of a tablet should make it inherently more accurate than a phone. But for free, how can you beat it?

I tried using that app... I calibrate it on a flat surface, take it over to my pin and I get a reading. Then take it back to the surface I calibrated on, and get a totally different reading. Seems that way with the other apps too. Then I go back to the pin, and different reading there.

Also, I get totally different reading if I change from portrait to landscape, even though it's pretty much in the same spot.

Any thoughts?

#39 7 years ago

Calibrate it on a flat LEVEL surface!

You showed pictures of your readings with the level on the playfield. Show corresponding readings with the level on the floor between the front legs for reference. What we should find here is that your floor is not level in the direction front of machine to back of machine, as indicated by you seemed to get a decent pitch reading on the playfield with both the front and back levelers at their shortest setting.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

yep, you have to use a surface you know for a fact is level, automatically assume nothing in your house is level unless you checked it with an actual level.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

yep, you have to use a surface you know for a fact is level, automatically assume nothing in your house is level unless you checked it with an actual level.

Absoultely, so now I need another level to make sure the 2nd level is as level as the first.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Use your phone?
Just a thought.

Have not read this whole thread so maybe this has already been said.

My advice is buy a torpedo level at sears. Much more accurate than your phone and about $30. It is the best "mod" you can buy for the money hands down.

#43 7 years ago

The clinometer app is the way to go. It's free. It's accurate. The IOS version has a speech function. My camera protrudes (Samsung S6) but the phone case removes this issue. I have torpedo levels of varying sizes and a magnetic angle finder. The phone removes the need to use these. Also, I just realized that the clinometer app can be used as a survey scope with the camera add-on. Daaaaaaaaaaaam!

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

You showed pictures of your readings with the level on the playfield. Show corresponding readings with the level on the floor between the front legs for reference. What we should find here is that your floor is not level in the direction front of machine to back of machine, as indicated by you seemed to get a decent pitch reading on the playfield with both the front and back levelers at their shortest setting.

Here it is between the front legs.

level_front (resized).jpeglevel_front (resized).jpeg

#45 7 years ago

Here's another question about levelling... Right now the machine is on a glossy laminate floor. If I give it a good nudge, the machine moves.

I saw that you can get casters with rubber on the bottom. Would you guys suggest that, or something else to keep the machine in place?

I want to be able to nudge a little, but kind of hard when the machine moves on you.

Thanks

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Here's another question about levelling... Right now the machine is on a glossy laminate floor. If I give it a good nudge, the machine moves.
I saw that you can get casters with rubber on the bottom. Would you guys suggest that, or something else to keep the machine in place?
I want to be able to nudge a little, but kind of hard when the machine moves on you.
Thanks

Ya I would get something to protect your floor. If my friends were over they would nudge that machine until there was no floor left lol.

#47 7 years ago

Here is a post about the accuracy of the cell phone inclinometer app:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-playfield-angle-with-cellphone-app-how-accurate
Post 3006209

Alan

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Thanks

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=564

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from P2K:

Here is a post about the accuracy of the cell phone inclinometer app:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/setting-playfield-angle-with-cellphone-app-how-accurate
Post 3006209
Alan

Summary: clinometer is withing 0.2 degrees up to 20 degree measurements based on dantheglassman's data. So, it is more accurate than a bubble level since your eye cannot detect to that degree of the bubble being in the center of "the black." Now, all that said, it is going to depend on your device as well...

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya I would get something to protect your floor. If my friends were over they would nudge that machine until there was no floor left lol.

Not really concerned about the floor. It's very smooth. Like an ice rink when you have socks on.

I'm hoping if I get rub casters, it will stay still so I don't have to keep re-levelling.

Also, does it make sense that if the rubber holds the machine in place, it will make for more successful nudging?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 64.99
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 9.95
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/digital-level and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.