Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P4090305 (resized).JPG
P4090303 (resized).JPG
P4090306 (resized).JPG
P4090300 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Recently I decide I had better replace the batteries on my machines since it had been 2 years. This machine has not been played much over the last 2 years. Anyhow, I did not play it before I replace the batteries The old batteries still had a good charge but I replaced them anyway. When I tried to play the game I got lots of vertical lines and then that would go away and the correct display would appear. I could play an entire game with no display issues. Then on a subsequent game I might get vertical lines coming an going and sometimes no display for a second. Game has never done this before and I don't know whether replacing old batteries had anything to do with it or not. I checked the connections behind display to make sure they were OK. Any suggestions?

#2 7 years ago

Power off. Reseat ribbon cables from CPU to DMD driver board to DMD.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I followed your suggestion and the digital display is still erratic. Still has flashing vertical lines that will sometimes clear up and then flash again.

P4090300 (resized).JPGP4090300 (resized).JPG

P4090306 (resized).JPGP4090306 (resized).JPG

P4090303 (resized).JPGP4090303 (resized).JPG

P4090305 (resized).JPGP4090305 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Does anyone think it is possible that the circuit board that the grey ribbon cable plugs into could be causing my display issues? Has anyone ever experience this condition before?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from redgoat:

Does anyone think it is possible that the circuit board that the grey ribbon cable plugs into could be causing my display issues?

If possible I'd try different DMD driver board first, then different DMD.

LTG : )

#6 7 years ago

PROBLEM SOLVED! For some reason I decided to use a can of compressed air to spray DMD driver board and see what, if anything, would happen. When I turned on game, the digital display was perfect like it used to be. Even after several games and being shut down and restarted the display did not malfunction at all.
Thanks LTG for your suggestions. Perhaps you can help with the only other issue I am having with this machine. The first reel in the playfield slot machine rarely matches the digital display slot machine which is the correct slot. Could the problem be an opto or something else?

#7 7 years ago

So you just sprayed the dust off board and everything works now? Doesn't make sense. Unless you blew off the unplugged board connectors, I am not sure what you did that fixed it.

#8 7 years ago

regarding your slot wheel,
please be careful, the little plastic housing near the shaft that houses the set screw can turn brittle.
if the optos are clean then the reason it is not lining up with the display is because it is actually slipping on the shaft.
TNT used to grind a bit of the shaft flat to give the set screw a better grip and to minimize slippage.

good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 37.50
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/digital-display-is-erratic-on-whodunit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.