• 43 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“How will you be paying for AIW?”

• I'm rich, so straight wire transfer as soon as I get all the details 4 votes
    4%
  • Already have a deposit down, so I will be sending them the remainder of my bitcoin 5 votes
    5%
  • I'm going to knock off as many liquor stores and 7-11s as it takes 5 votes
    5%
  • I will be trading in my Supreme, but expect to get two of these for that 4 votes
    4%
  • Going to sell everything and take a second job working nights at Taco Bell 4 votes
    4%
  • Won't be buying one, but will play it at Chucky Cheese as soon as it arrives 33 votes
    32%
  • I'm getting fed up with these fly by night companies taking all my money through pinside forum 40 votes
    38%
  • Eccentric trust fund baby here , so I am going to hire a transient to deliver a suitcase full of $1 bills 9 votes
    9%

(104 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DODGEViperRT-10-1092_1 (resized).jpg
1519150778e0c05661519005237453666057843dbIMG_2976-1 (resized).jpg
first-generation-acura-nsx (resized).jpg
giphy (1).gif
dogcigar (resized).jpg
anything (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

With the recent announcement that Deeproot will be making the long awaited "Alice in Wonderland", and at least one model at $50,000 (kinda makes Supreme sound like a cheap toy), who is in on this "must have" collectable pinball machine for the ages, and if so, how will you pay for it?

#2 5 years ago

Will they make more than one ? I hate to be limited to just one when my route needs so many.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Poll has been added. (actually it was there and I had to redo it)

#4 5 years ago

I don't see the selection in your list there of:

"I'll take that as one of my choices."

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I don't see the selection in your list there of:
"I'll take that as one of my choices."

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

#6 5 years ago

My "Freewill" says I'm out.

#7 5 years ago

Holding out for Pussycat Bowling

#8 5 years ago

Deeproot is full of sh1t.

Please for the love of gawd people... don't give another startup with no actual product a dime of your money.
Remember: Predator, the orignal Alice in Wonderland, Alien
Just don't.

#9 5 years ago

It is somewhat fitting that they say their 'unicorn' will be a JPop machine.

Cue upper pfs and mechs that don't do anything, and tons of circular plastics which look like crap and serve no function other than to display pieces of art he likes, but which won't fit into the general layout.

Even if there's a team working with him now, how willing are they going to be to put serious effort into his stuff when they have Oursler / Nordman / Norris designs? Not very I wouldn't have thought.

Assuming the rest of their product is brilliant (doubtful if releasing 3-4 machines at once), I still expect what ever JPop creations they reveal to be an absolute shit show.

#10 5 years ago

Any investor in this company with brains would never allow a $50k pinball machine. Does anyone know the sales numbers for Jersey Jack on their CE Edition pins for WOZ, Hobbit & Dialed In? If it's over a 100 units for all three machines combined I'd be surprised.

No pinball machine company that is a startup should be banging out $50k pins....or even $10k pins. Gotta make it good and affordable if your going to continue on with a second machine. With the history of companies like Skit B, Dutch Pinball & Heighway.....there is a black eye for new companies that a new startup must overcome....you don't do that by making your first pinball machine an expensive overpriced machine that is untouchable to most pinball players who would buy one.

#11 5 years ago

Not a effing chance.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Any investor in this company with brains would never allow a $50k pinball machine. Does anyone know the sales numbers for Jersey Jack on their CE Edition pins for WOZ, Hobbit & Dialed In? If it's over a 100 units for all three machines combined I'd be surprised.
No pinball machine company that is a startup should be banging out $50k pins....or even $10k pins. Gotta make it good and affordable if your going to continue on with a second machine. With the history of companies like Skit B, Dutch Pinball & Heighway.....there is a black eye for new companies that a new startup must overcome....you don't do that by making your first pinball machine an expensive overpriced machine that is untouchable to most pinball players who would buy one.

Not sure I would agree with this? JJP did not make CE WOZ that I know of? As for the mega premium lines not selling... JJP WOZ Emerald did sell out quick, Stern SLE boutique Batman gone quick, Stern Mega premium Supreme gone in seconds, Stern IMLE minutes, JJP POTC CE my guess will sell out before production. Does appear the luxury price model does work and there are buyers (not me) that will pay for that exclusivity.

#13 5 years ago

It's a hobby where rich dudes make videos begging to buy a 15k re-skin of TDK with cobbled together pre-existing artwork.

anything (resized).jpganything (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

I can't vote until I see the hinges.

#15 5 years ago

I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy anything from a company that employs JPop, much less a $50,000 machine.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's a hobby where rich dudes make videos begging to buy a 15k re-skin of TDK with cobbled together pre-existing artwork.

Speaking of that, he who must not be named here, with the podcast that must not be named here, and who is also the owner of a 15k re-skin of TDK, has mentioned repeatedly in his podcast (before his current possibly permanent hiatus), that he thinks pinball manufacturers are missing the boat by not making ultra limited and ultra expensive pinball machines for the few "I gots tons of money and can't throw it around fast enough" pinball collectors out there looking for ultra exclusive machines. I think this 50 grand AIW is aimed directly at him.

#17 5 years ago

I'm guessing the whole idea of a $50,000 game sprung to life directly because of what happened with the Supreme games. The fact of the matter is that's a virtually impossible situation to replicate. It's not as if just any random company can make a super limited game and have people climbing over each other to get one.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

he thinks pinball manufacturers are missing the boat by not making ultra limited and ultra expensive pinball machines for the few "I gots tons of money and can't throw it around fast enough" pinball collectors out there looking for ultra exclusive machines. I think this 50 grand AIW is aimed directly at him.

That's because he has zero clue about actually anything in the industry... yet people think his opinion matters or is even based in anything real. Making a lifestyle-brand pinball is not like printing T-shirts and charging $200 instead of $20.

Pinball machines cost a f-ton of time and money to design, source, and ultimately assemble.. and require economies of scale to make practical. And it's all UP FRONT. Only a company like Stern who can siphon off very low cost tangent work can really float such risks.

There is a huge difference between a JJP 'premium' model and the supreme/lifestyle brand marketing.

#19 5 years ago

If I pissed gold bullion I'd think about it. Jpop backwards is popJ....how cool is that?!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm guessing the whole idea of a $50,000 game sprung to life directly because of what happened with the Supreme games. The fact of the matter is that's a virtually impossible situation to replicate. It's not as if just any random company can make a super limited game and have people climbing over each other to get one.

They’ve been talking $50,000 for months haven’t they?

It doesn’t take a genius to realize there’s a market for ultra expensive, ultra high-end games. It’s been proven time and time again.

Pulling it off is another matter but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Before it became how useless Magic Girl was there were indeed some confirmed sales north of $20,000.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They’ve been talking $50,000 for months haven’t they?
It doesn’t take a genius to realize there’s a market for ultra expensive, ultra high-end games. It’s been proven time and time again.
Pulling it off is another matter but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Before it became how useless Magic Girl was there were indeed some confirmed sales north of $20,000.

Sure... but no one makes money as a business designing, producing, and then selling 10-30 pinball machines.. even at 50k each unless you are able to siphon free resources away from something else.

And if something is done regularly - well it's no longer special... and you won't have that same market. The reason people pay 20k for a machine that is no different than any other 5k game is the situation.

#22 5 years ago

I must admit the choice that is leading in the poll right now is a real surprise!

#23 5 years ago

Sucks. Wife says 45k tops. Damn.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Sucks. Wife says 45k tops. Damn.

Damn. Hate when that happens.

#25 5 years ago

Get a divorce!

#26 5 years ago

We don't have 7-11s around here, what am I supposed to do?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

We don't have 7-11s around here, what am I supposed to do?

Improvise. Steal purses. Hold up Dairy Queens. Play pinball for money. Panhandle. Sell sperm and blood. Try the pimp life. Start a Go Fund Me.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from bam10:

what am I supposed to do?

Kidnap O-din's dog.

dogcigar (resized).jpgdogcigar (resized).jpg
#29 5 years ago

She's a fine beast she is!

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I can't vote until I see the hinges.

Hinges hell... what about the shooter lanes???

#31 5 years ago

Stalactites hang from the ceiling; stalagmites rise from the ground.

Along that line of thinking. For $50K, that playfield better have dimplemites.

#32 5 years ago

I just want to remind everybody that is is pinside's policy to "be nice until it is time to not be nice" in regards to these upstart pinball companies.

#33 5 years ago

So who else is getting in on this smoking deal?

giphy (1).gifgiphy (1).gif
2 years later
#34 3 years ago

Any update on this?

#35 3 years ago

You know the answer.

2 months later
#36 3 years ago

After reading the TWIP somewhat Deeproot reveal. I guess the future game “Alice” means AIW? Or inspired by AIW?

1 week later
#37 3 years ago

I do appreciate that they are taking their time on this. I'd hate for a $50,000 game to be some rush job.

#38 3 years ago

Let's get this thread back on track, starting the 90's over here.

first-generation-acura-nsx (resized).jpgfirst-generation-acura-nsx (resized).jpg
#39 3 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Let's get this thread back on track, starting the 90's over here.[quoted image]

About time we made it out of that stale decade that was the 80s. I remember the 90s could not get here fast enough.

1519150778e0c05661519005237453666057843dbIMG_2976-1 (resized).jpg1519150778e0c05661519005237453666057843dbIMG_2976-1 (resized).jpg
#40 3 years ago

A 90's Japanese-built Toyota is the Pinnacle of automotive achievement.

#41 3 years ago

Poll is still open, for those that would still like to vote.

Sorry, no mailed in or phoned in ballots will be accepted.

DODGEViperRT-10-1092_1 (resized).jpgDODGEViperRT-10-1092_1 (resized).jpg
#43 3 years ago

Back on topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/digging-deep-for-deeproot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.