5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-31 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kozzi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've just been introduced to pinball via a friend and I'm hooked.

As such I'm looking into getting my first machine and have decided to get a new machine to avoid possible technical hangups. Likely a Stern.

The thing is, I'm pretty terrible at pinball. Love it, but terrible. And as such, when I read reviews/experiences of the machine, I find a lot of the focus isn't relevant to where my skills currently are. ie - I get excited when I activate a mission or multi ball and my goal is to complete it, let alone a second. So when people talk about machines getting stale from the mission structure or point maximisation, I find that I'm not there yet and it really doesn't matter to me.

So I've realised that my two main purchase points are Theme & Difficulty.

But I'm finding it hard to find information on how forgiving / unforgiving a machine is for a newer player like me.

Would you folks mind letting me know how you'd rate them from a difficulty standpoint? Not so much for completing missions or hitting Wizard mode, but more if its easy to drain, shots down the middle that feel punishing, that kind of thing.

The Sterns that I can get in Australia are: Deadpool, Iron Maiden, AC/DC Vault, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars, Batman 66, Ghostbusters & Metallica.

I don't mind the idea of some shots being hard to time correctly, but I think I'd prefer one that is a bit more forgiving to learn the ropes on.

Thanks!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Bruce_Pickle:

I did the same thing last year for similar reasons. I chose a machine (Aerosmith pro) that didn't have any complicated mechanical devices and is really easy to maintain/clean as well as it being a fun game to play. I know this isn't answering your question but if you're not too tech/electrical savvy like me, this is might be something to keep in mind when buying your first machine as well. Definitely try before you buy as well.
The guys at AMD are awesome if you're using them. Good Luck

A really good point that I didn't think of. Thanks for that.

And yes, I was impressed with AMD when I called them yesterday. So I'm glad we have a distributor who seems proper trustworthy and customer-focussed. It reassures a lot of concerns when laying down so much money.

As for earlier comments. Thanks for the quick, and thorough, thoughts guys. I didn't realise you could adjust some of the game rules to help out or make things harder in the future. Really helpful to know too.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comprehensive thoughts.

It has been very helpful. I have the suspicion Metallica may be where I end up as I am a fan of the band. I'm glad it seems like the kind of game that can grow with me as I move from terrible to just bad

Thanks again.

#25 5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions of Star Trek.

Unfortunately I didn't have it on my list as it isn't available from my local distributor. However, I definitely know I have another machine to try and find in public to play!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 28.00
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.99
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Murrieta, CA
$ 16.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kozzi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/difficulty-of-various-sterns?tu=kozzi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.